Reviews by sniffer64

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

This comes quite close to the sweet vanilla scent of the jar of tobacco in your tobacconists window. That tobacco is, however, covered in artificial vanilla flavoring and doused in propylene glycol. This also has a baby powder element that doesn't work well. It isn't off-putting, but it stands apart from your body chemistry, like a piece of clothing. Not worth the price, and there are better examples of this genre.

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Very nice scent, don't need much to create that 12" scent envelope. Honest amber/woods/vanilla palate that doesn't take itself too seriously. A friendly scent, excellent for spring and summer.

Back to Black by By Kilian

I got a decant of this fragrance, and have worn it around six times. It has decent sillage, but the overwhelming main note that I smell is a combination of baby powder/rose and old attic smell (if that resonates for anyone), with a recurring tang of old urine. I keep expecting to get something different, but it is quite consistent over a range of temperatures and humidity levels.

Black Aoud by Montale

Rose is a tricky scent - you love it or hate it. I'll start off by saying "I hate it". I got BA in a decant sampler, put on 2 drops (not aware of the rose), and immediately began to get a headache. I tried to scrub it off with a wet washcloth, but it wouldn't budge. This stuff is certainly powerful and stubborn.

To me, this smells like my grandmother's body powder. The synthetic rose dominates whatever other notes are in here, and does not relent even after 8 hours (even with the scrubbing attempt).

If you like rose, you might like this. If you dislike rose, run away from this one.
04th May, 2016

Halston Z-14 by Halston

I bought this because my wife loved it, and she still does. The fragrance starts out a bit ... sharp, and never quite loses that edge. I don't smell the cinnamon as one reviewer did, but it isn't overly complex. Still, it develops somewhat with body chemistry, lasts a long time, and gets a decent share of compliments from others, so it has some good qualities.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I received this as a part of a gift basket at a charitable auction. When I first tried it, my reaction was "whew, that stuff is strong and stinky". After a few years, and an increasingly educated nose, I gave it another shot. It is a masterfully blended fragrance, powerful, and lasts at least 24 hours.

Unfortunately, it doesn't develop very well on my skin, which I blame more on my body chemistry than this fragrance.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

This is a powerful, exotic fragrance that is sure to elicit strong responses. I wore this every day for a week, from a 1 oz sample. You know that little plastic stick-thing that hangs down off of the cap on those little sample bottles? I got to the point where one swipe of that on my stomach was enough to last the entire day, and could be smelled by others.

As for the scent itself, it is distinctive. It reminds me a bit of Kouros, though I prefer this significantly. The Egyptian Musk/amber note is the predominant one, with Vanilla/Tonka close behind, then a melange of incense-like tones (I got sandalwood/cedar and patchouli, though I am no expert).

Not an everyday fragrance, to be certain. It does develop with your body chemistry as the day wears on, though retaining most of its out-of-the-bottle characteristics as well.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I got a sample of this from The Perfumed Court. I wore it for 8 days straight. My primary comment is that AC is extremely weak. Even when I applied it heavily, I could barely smell it, and within an hour or two it was undetectable, even with my nose pressed to my skin. What fragrance there WAS was okay, but even a great fragrance that fades this fast would be unsatisfactory. A real shame, because I wanted to like this.

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

A rather muddled scent, not unpleasant. The biggest issue I have is that no matter how much I put on, I can't even detect it on my body within three hours. Also, during its short life span, it retains the same scent that it had out of the bottle, with no development and no interaction with my body chemistry. I poured the last 1/8th of my bottle into my unscented hair gel, a task it serves satisfactorily.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I've had a single bottle of this for about 30 years, so it is fair to say I don't wear this much. Because of the fact that it was an "IT" cologne in the 80's, I'm sometimes mildly embarrassed to wear it. But there are days when it calls to me, and I'll put a quarter of a squirt on each of my forearms. After a quick overpowering drydown, it settles in nicely and compliments my chemistry. I'll catch light whiffs throughout the day, or a light constant scent if I get warm, and I find myself very happy with my choice in scents for the day.

When this bottle is gone (probably in another 15 years), I won't re-buy it, but I won't regret the 45 good years we had together.

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

Lagerfeld Classic is a wonderful and unique scent that has been in my active repetoire longer than any other (30 years). It has been said in this thread that this is a love or hate cologne. If so, I would guess that many of the haters judged too quickly.

Straight out of the bottle, I have always envisioned pink bubble gum, not a big note of confidence. But within a half an hour, something magical comes forward, and, at least for my body chemistry, continues to develop throughout the day.

Before I continue, here are my biases. I wear cologne pretty lightly, mostly so that I can smell it. If I'm within four feet of someone, I'm happy if they can catch some fleeting whiffs. I feel that a scent should compliment and adjust to my natural scent, not just cover it up. And if someone can smell my cologne thirty seconds after I have left a room, I've used too much. Finally, I want to be able to smell the cologne for at least 12 - 14 hours after I put it on.

Lagerfeld scores on all counts. Three or four full sprays wouldn't do it for me, put a half squirt on each upper arm is perfect. My wife loves it. Any early sweetness or "uni-sex-ness" is gone quickly, the powdery scent leaves after two hours, and a warm amber/sandlewood/tonquin/tobacco scent goes on and on, constantly varying.

Lagerfeld works better in cooler weather, but not exclusively. It worked in college and as I approach 50. It could be your next favorite, especially if you can suspend judgment for the first 30 minutes.