Reviews by JohnHarvard

Vetiver 46 by Le Labo

Reminds me of walking into a Catholic cathedral in Cataluña--incense and pine.

Would make a fantastic winter scent!

A must try, but do not blind buy.

21st April, 2011

1697 by Frapin

Imagine taking one of Frapin’s award winning XOs and evaporating all the alcohol out of it until you were left with just the concentrate. That’s what this is.

Warm and rich molasses with dried fruit, a touch of oak, and a faint floral rose. Extremely complex and quite the gourmand!

Bottle No. 1342

21st April, 2011

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

At first I didn’t like it. It was too strong of “I don’t know what.” But since it was recommended to me by someone in Paris named Laurent who works at Frederic Malle, and who analyzed a profile of my likes, habits, etc., I decided to keep giving it a go.

And you know what? Six weeks later I bought a 100ml bottle!

I love this stuff. It’s a great spring/summer scent that manages to not use a single floral. It doesn’t smell like anything out there I know, and I believe Ropion’s genius will soon become something copied by many in the industry.

Granted, the mint is a bit strong at first so I don’t like to smell my arm after I’ve applied it, but the way the sillage lingers (with an occasional burst every now and then), is beautiful; as is the dry down.

Now I don’t like to go into what a frag “smells like” to me because those associations are personal, different for everyone, and can vary depending on a skin’s pH, but it does evoke images of fresh mint, and mint based cocktails, to me.

Definitely not a blind buy, but something you must try more than a few times. Get a few samples, or better yet a small decant, if possible.

03 April, 2011