Reviews by eris

eris's avatar
    eris

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

Ah, Butterfly. This is the scent I put on just for me, because it evokes so many good feelings and pleasant memories. Fruity, girly, but tempered with just enough smoke to make it bearable--and I'm really not a fan of the sweeter scents.

My first boyfriend literally would not stop sniffing me when I wore it, and ever since then it's been my go-to. It should, in all fairness, be TOO candied and immature, but something about it, when worn by the right person, lends it a subtle kind of gravitas. It manages the overdone lychees-and-sugar without being cloying, and in the end it smells like coy, coltish sexiness. It's intoxicating while still being innocent, and for all of this, it remains my go-to.

On me, the EDT (my favorite of the formulations) starts off most noticeably with lychee, which gradually fades into a luscious "woodsy" smell, and finally wears down to a very warm musky incense that retains hints of both the lychee and the wood.

05th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 25th April, 2011)

Sexy Little Things Noir by Victoria's Secret

I picked this up on a whim right before a camping trip to...er...spray in case the smell situation got iffy. Immensely surprised to note that it's sweet with the barest hint of an edge, and actually quite sexy. There's something whimsical and fun about it that appeals to me.

Midnight Poison by Christian Dior

To me, it smells like sex and smoke and death. Intrinsically heavy, sinister, and very serious, with a remarkably refined edge of sex appeal. It smells exactly like what I imagine power would smell like. I've smelled it on different people before, and to my mind, it takes a certain kind of person to pull it off. Not sure if I, personally, can, but if you think you can wear it with aplomb, take it from me--it's irresistible.

Marine Groove by Escada

Smelled this all day every day on one of my friends for quite a long while there. A linear, unimaginative fruity floral that is unapologetically sweet. To be honest, there is just one note, and that note--to my nose, at least--is passion fruit. Simple and appealing...at least for the first hour or so. I should probably admit that if I hadn't been quite so overexposed to it, it may have gone Neutral instead of Thumbs Down.