Reviews by Words

Words's avatar
    Words

cK one Summer 2013 by Calvin Klein

2008 revisited

Watermelon and cucumber, 2013 Summer is great. And the greatest thing about it is that it's identical to the 2008 version. Which is now very hard to find and when you do, it's ridiculously expensive. Pick this up if you dont want to pay the hefty price tag, because I know there were many who believed that 2008 was CK's best Summer offering. I plan on stocking up!

26 August, 2013

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

I've always appreciated CK frags, mostly for their reasonable price tags, but they also produce some really nice scents. Truth is a perfect wet/green, cut grass offering. Everyone knows the heavy hitters from this house (Obsession, Eternity, & CK One), but this is easily their most underrated. If it really is being discontinued, I'll be sure to stock up. Cant imagine not having this in my rotation during the Spring/Summer months.

12 February, 2013

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

Crazy to see that after 40 reviews 360 Red has yet to receive any negatives. Given that it's an almost perfect match to AdG, which gets slammed on here like no other, how can we explain all the love? I think what it comes down to is that AdG does, in fact, smell great. As does 360 Red. The only difference? This one can be purchased for 1/3 of the price. Yep, it's a blatant knockoff, but now those of us that love this type of frag wont go broke purchasing it.

17 January, 2013

Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic by Lancôme

Cant wait to give this a wear next Spring. Right up there with great Spring-weather scents like OV, Mugler Cologne, L'eau par Kenzo, Greenergy, Live Jazz, Gendarme, Central Park, Geir, etc... An excellent Floral/Grassy fragrance that like the original Miracle Homme, has a creamy quality to it. Very light and casual, nice addition to any wardrobe looking for a little green.

02 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2013)

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Drakkar Noir deserves it's own 80's John Hughes film. One spray and it takes you back to Sixteen Candles & Cyndi Lauper on the radio. The first word out of my girlfriend's mouth when smelling DN for the first time? Sexy. One spray will do it, a max of 2. Just dont go overboard, even with the recent toned-down version. I love spritzing this stuff on a breezy Summer night, the wind catches it just right and it's heaven.

07 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2013)

Freshman by Truefitt & Hill

Cant agree more with the comparisons to Cool Water, much moreso than GIT to CW. You'll have to own both to notice any real differences with a smell test. But even then it's hard to distinguish. Freshman smells a tad more minty, while CW is more floral, but they both have a little of each anyway. Freshman projects much better. Overall, a very refreshing scent, perfect for Spring. Stick with Cool Water because of the noticeable price difference, but since I own both, Freshman is the one I reach for 9 times out of 10.

And obviously CW is the knockoff because Freshman was "launched" in 1815. ;-)

30th April, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2013)

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a concentrated version of L'eau par Kenzo. Both have the zesty minty lemon top & leafy green middle with a slight vanilla ending. Only the YSL is much more noticeable from beginning to end. Both great scents for the Spring/Summer months. I dont get the Cool Water comparisons at all.

08 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2013)

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

I'm not a big fan of powder-y scents and against my better judgement, I purchased BBJ knowing full-well what I was getting myself into. For $8.99 USD at my local Ross, I felt like even if I didnt like it, I got a good deal. Everyone is spot on with the description of this one. Baby powder + Lime + Musk & Vanilla. There's not much change throughout the duration, stays a pretty consistant baby powder smell.

27 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2013)

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Sure, GIT and Cool Water have similarities. But I wonder if the people who say they smell exactly alike have ever done the smell test. Spray each cologne on your wrists and compare. There is a noticeable minty note in Cool Water that is non-existant in GIT. That particular note gives CW a rather linear feel. This is not the case in Green Irish Tweed. GIT is thick, smooth, and powerful. The epitome of "Green" scents, and the standard in Men's colognes. There is no time of day, no time of year, no situation in which this Creed is inappropriate. It's the ultimate of ultimates, the best of the best. Violet, Verbena, and Ambergris combine to create the greatest fragrance ever made.

15 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2013)

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

To my nose, Paris Hilton for Men is a mix of OP Juice and Bond No.9 Wall Street. But no need to slam on it because of the similarities. Certainly not the quality of Wall Street, but it's well worth what you'll end up paying for it. Extremely fruity, so know ahead of time what you're getting into if you want to buy blind.

09 March, 2010

Central Park by Bond No. 9

Wow, that's gonna leave a mark! Central Park is an extremely Green/Citrus scent with typical Bond lasting power. Reminiscent of an old-school Citrus like 4711, but much more modern and wearable. The Verbena stands front and center here, like no other I've come across. Really classy.

17 August, 2009

Mat; Orange by Masakï Matsushïma

This is pretty simple... Mat Orange is an Orange scent through and through. It doesnt really try to hide that fact, just a straight-forward Orange with moderate-to-weak lasting power. That's why I like to use it as a layering perfume, otherwise you're looking at more of a body spray. Certainly a great smell if you like the smell of sweet Oranges, just not much character for $50 USD a pop.

09 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2010)

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

I wont go on my rant quite like I did with Riverside Drive, but I'm sorry, this isnt MI... or better yet, Erolfa. First of all, MI is one of the all-time greatest scents ever made, IMO. Not saying that Wall Street doesnt hold it's own, but the two defining notes in MI are the Melon and Ambergris. Neither are present in Wall Street. What it does have is a very noticeable, in-your-face Cucumber note and some spicy-aquatic action happening. I guess the need to compare scents will always exist, and from what I can tell, it's to give others a better idea of what to expect. Bbut that's only accomplished when done accurately.

Bottom line: Wall Street is a very good spicy/aquatic creation. But it doesnt compete with or resemble MI, nor does it try to.

07 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2013)

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

First of all, this is nothing like ANY of the Creed's mentioned. Nothing like GIT, nothing like MI, and certainly nothing like SMW. I mean, come on people, it's like you're trying so hard to compare scents, especially Bond to Creed, that you'll settle for the closest category that it fits into. Makes me wonder if all of the people doing this have fake Creeds. Okay, so GIT and RSD are green, that's about IT. So MI and RSD have fruity notes, that's IT. The comparisons are both irresponsible and poorly thought-out. RSD is so green when it first goes on, that it's almost overwhelming. Not a very fresh green, but more of a ripe green fruit. Whatever water fruit is, it's the perfect description. Very ripe, wet, juicy, and green. Anyone ever had Ugly Fruit before? It looks like a grapefruit, but truly horrid looking on the outside. The inside is another story, reminds me a little of this wonderfully tasty Bond. As for the sillage and lasting power, A+!!! Beware of the comparisons to Creed, people, they are inaccurate AT BEST, although they do have one defining characteristic in common... absolute first rate, exceptional quality! Go get Riverside Drive!

05 December, 2008

Citron Citron by Miller Harris

I'm sorry, Citron Citron is not worth it's price tag. Yes, the opening mint combined with citrus is somewhat intriguing, though a little over the top, but IMO there are equal-to-better offerings in the citrus genre for 1/4th the amount of $$$ (Hilfiger Athletics, L'eau par Kenzo, Moschino Friends, and Live Jazz). Miller Harris---this certainly isnt Creed or AdP quality, so why the outrageous price? Not so much a problem with the product as it is for what it costs to obtain it.

15 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2013)

Gendarme Green by Gendarme

Very underrated scent. A shame that Green doesnt get much play on here, certainly deserves it. Well worth it's price tag, too. As far as "Green" scents go, this is up there with the best of them. Has that unmistakable Gendarme feel to it, especially on the drydown, but the top and heart is where it really shines. The cucumber, basil, and spice work so well together, and the lasting power is a complete surprise. Unlike others in the Gendarme line, it differs enough to warrant purchasing even if you have the original. If you dont, then just get Green and call it a day.

07 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2010)

Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris

I can certainly see why this is such a hit with BN'ers. A very earthy/green tangerine scent, that goes on extremely natural. A little dirty, a little old school, works for others, didnt work for me.

02 November, 2008

Horizon by Guy Laroche

I agree that there is a bit of Kenzo PH hidden somewhere in Horizon. More pepper and spices here, though. Whereas, Kenzo goes straight for the throat with very real marine accords. I like Horizon, probably a little more than Kenzo PH, it's just much easier to wear. For the price, it's a steal, but not something I would reach for on a regular basis.

01st November, 2008

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

Reminiscent of Mat Orange, AdC is a sweet orange frag that goes on orange and stays that way. I prefer to layer this with other citrus/fresh scents because it's so one-dimensional. Not something I would purchase again with it's $60 USD price tag.

31st October, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2010)

Eternity Summer for Men 2005 by Calvin Klein

2005 Version: A really cool melon-y-green scent, that to me is an improvement over the original Eternity. It's gotta have some type of Mango or Watermelon in there somewhere... drydown smells very similar to Echo for Men.

31st October, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2010)

Tokyo by Kenzo

Smells like the paper they used to give you in elementary school to remind you of what smoke smells like when there's a fire. Sweet, smoky, and woody. I have no idea where the tea notes are in Tokyo, nonexistent from what I can tell. Cant give this a thumbs up.

30th October, 2008

212 Men On Ice 2004 by Carolina Herrera

Agreeing with previous reviews... it certainly is a take on the original 212, but with less florals and more green citrus. Still has that great fresh-cut grass note which I loved in 212... maybe a little mind over matter with the bright green bottle, but this one is perfect for the early Spring months. Reminiscent of Givenchy's Greenergy.

24 October, 2008

Oyédo by Diptyque

Sweet sweet citric candy. Such a thick sweetness, go with 2 sprays and you're set for the day. It's funny to see people describe it as lifesaver-like, because that's exactly what comes to mind when Oyedo is first sprayed. Orange lifesaver, indeed. A great scent, but difficult to wear as an everyday-citrus.

11th April, 2008

cK one Summer by Calvin Klein

This actually IS the yellow/green edition (2004). The orange bottle is for 2005.

Better than the original, and one of my all-time favorite Summer selections.

There used to be about 20 positive reviews for CK Summer 04, but I'm not sure why they were deleted... they shouldnt have been because they were very telling in just how great this flanker is.

12 January, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2013)

Kouros Eau D'Ete by Yves Saint Laurent

This could very easily pass as a mint mouthwash. And the clear blue bottle doesn't help you shake that feeling, either. Sitting there, having sprayed a few sprays on my shirt, I kept getting an occasional whiff of Eau D'Ete and remember thinking, "hmmm... mouthwash?" Very minty and clean. Pretty good sillage for a Summer version. I really cant imagine using this at any other time than in the soaring temps of an Indian Summer.

09 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2008)

Tommy Summer Cologne 2005 by Tommy Hilfiger

Light, soapy, and extremely fresh. Has a subtle marine accord throughout. Quite possibly the best Summer version of any cologne I've ever tried. Absolute perfection!

08 March, 2007

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

One of the darker "fresh" scents I've encountered. I think it's the somewhat smokey dry-down that makes it feel this way. I also get the Cola note all the way through, which adds to the darkness. I havent smelled the original M7, but this is a very intriguingly different fragrance.

03 March, 2007

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

It's Escada, it's Limited Edition for Summer, and it's called Sunset Heat. And just in case your common sense didnt tell you what to expect at this point, then let me tell you... Fruity! Extremely fruity, like Escada tends to do.

02 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2013)

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

I see some complaining about the originality and distinctiveness of 212. Well, I'm a "fresh scent" junkie and have yet to come across anything similar to this one. Citrus, fresh cut grass, and pepper done so well.

Like AdG, it's probably disliked more for it's popularity than anything, but make no mistake about it, it really is a quality frag.

02 March, 2007 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2013)

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Reminiscent of Givenchy Blue Label, but with less of the spicy/woody qualities that make Blue Label so great. More Marine than it is Aquatic, a very watery Marine. I agree with a previous review, should have been called Bvlgari Marine.

07 February, 2007