Reviews by paolo_alcantara

paolo_alcantara's avatar
    paolo_alcantara
    Philippine Philippine

Original Santal by Creed

This is one of the few scents that makes me feel good about myself whenever I wear it. As Creed described in their promotional ads for this product: "Original Santal is a men's oriental fragrance inspired by the royal and spiritual splendor of India. The essence of precious sandalwood trees from India are combined with other elements known for beautiful scent, spiritual strength and calming power".
    A number of people compare this with JOOP Homme, saying that Original Santal is Creed's clone of the former - granting Original Santal was released in 2005, while JOOP homme was released way back in 1989. Personally, I would say yes, there are indeed similarities between the two perfumes since I own them both, but not to the point of branding Original Santal a clone. The main difference between the two as I observed is that JOOP has this undeniably synthetic feel in its opening which I wouldn't say I personally hate, but it reminds me of cherry flavored bubble gum - something that I'm not so fond of. Thankfully, after a good two hours on my skin, that cherry syrupy gum flavor scent fades away. With Original Santal, I definitely don't get that kind of syrupy synthetic opening. What greets me is the pleasant aroma of sandalwood, cinnamon, and orange tree absolute. Those are the most prominent notes, at least for me.
    The only category where JOOP wins is longevity (12+ hours) and sillage, but again there is a trade-off. There are a lot of chemicals being used to boost the perfume's lasting power and projection, making it smell more synthetic in turn.
    I would boldly say that Original Santal is a different scent altogether. As I've said earlier, there are just a couple of similarities. After all, both of them have four notes in common (cinnamon, sandalwood, tonka bean, and vanilla) but beyond that, I would say no. Original Santal definitely smells more natural and its opening has a fresher vibe to it. It is one of my favorite scents, and probably my favorite Creed as of this writing.

My rating:
    Creed Original Santal: 10/10
    JOOP homme: 8/10

03 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2012)

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

My favorite stage is actually the opening one, where in my skin, the spices are most predominant. After about 5 hours, this scent slowly turns quite sourish (probably a bit too much for my tastes) and synthetic. Anyway, this is a good daily scent, preferably for daytime wear as I can't imagine wearing this in the evening; I actually prefer Cool Water over this for the same purpose. Polo Blue lasts 7-10 hours on my skin by the way...

10th April, 2012

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

for me, this is the definition of a classic scent. Very versatile, can be worn on any occassion. And still going strong in 2011. The only downside on my skin is the longevity. If this can last 6-8 hours on my skin, I would give this 5 stars. No brainer. One of my more frequently used scents. Good for summer

20th September, 2011

Envy for Men by Gucci

gucci envy smells like a true classic. period. This definitely does not smell modern, but instead, you get a woody, spicy, luxurious, and rich scent that does not fail to impress at any given time. I can use it almost anytime except for summer. Longevity is quite good, about 8 hours or more. projection too is a bit above average on me. overall, good stuff.

29 July, 2011

Vetiver by Guerlain

Clean, classic. Very versatile. This is one of those scents I wouldn't mind wearing everyday. Can be worn on almost any occassion. This scent is definitely a classic and a timeless one. Definitely not a modern scent. Personally, my tastes have changed over the years, and I would say that my preference on fragrances has tilted slightly in favor of classic smelling fragrances as opposed to the more modern smelling scents, and this has been one of my go to fragrances. If in a particular day, i haven't decided what scent to wear, I could pick Vetiver without any hesitation at all. Again, let me emphasize: a classic.

10th June, 2011

Millésime Impérial by Creed

ahh, Millesime Imperial! One of my favorite favorite Creeds. As other reviews said, you definitely feel good every time you wear this. Picture this: Imagine yourself sitting by a posh beach side resort, eating some fresh fruit (watermelon comes to mind) while inhaling the fresh sea breeze at around 8 am in the morning. That's how it feels like. Beach side because of MI's saltwater notes. Overall, I think this is one of the best if not the best aquatic out there for me. Projection is great for a Creed fragrance, and longevity is also good on my skin. I get about 6-8 hours, which I am quite happy about.

23 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2012)

Joop! Homme by Joop!

JOOP! ... for me, this is the best clubbing scent. Projection is really good, I easily get noticed with this. Longevity, also great. I get more than 8 hours on 2 sprays only. I only use about 1-2 sprays and I'm good. Can't wear it everyday, though

21st April, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2012)

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

great great gourmand scent! this is classified as fall/winter scent, but could also be worn during those cool summer nights. great projection, and great longevity indeed! definitely one of my favorites!

20th April, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th August, 2014)

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

This is a scent that is very well made. I would buy it for the scent alone, and wouldn't mind the projection and longevity at all, which I think it lacks. this one sits quite close to the skin, but the whiff is a very good one. this is so far the best lemon based scent that I tried. the pepper definitely makes it more luxurious and creamy. Longevity is quite spotty, it lasts anywhere from 4-8 hours on me (2-3 sprays) , depending on the weather and the humidity. Try it out for yourself anyway. I definitely recommend this, but don't blind buy.

20th April, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2012)

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

wow....one of my favorite scents for the hot weather and one of my favorites overall. you just got to love the citrus note on top of the darjeeling tea note. it is subtle, but it projects quite well on my skin. It gets noticed even from a distance. Longevity is really great, I get about 8-10 good hours usually, sometimes even more. overall, this scent is very well made. Highly recomended

20th April, 2011