Reviews by jamwires

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

What a winner. I didn't like it at first, but it took a couple years for me to fully understand its beauty. It definitely lasts a long time, projects nicely, and has a slight 90's tone - in a good way. It's almost 20 years old, and a definite classic.

31st July, 2012

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Very good juice. Good quality from top to bottom, lasts a good while, and is a pleasure to wear in warmer weather too. Don't be fooled by the word "Aqua," this ain't no typical aquatic. It actually has some substance, and keeps me interested throughout the day. Among my favorite designer fragrances. Traces of this can be smelled 24+ hrs after application on me.
10th July, 2012 (last edited: 20th July, 2012)

A*Men Sunessence Orage D'Ete / Summer Storm by Thierry Mugler

How am I the first to give this awful piece of garbage a thumbs down?

What an awful fragrance, period. Opens with a strange, awful, synthetic orange note. The base doesn't resemble A*Men, it resembles A*Men shower gel. Cheap smelling, awful, smells like Axe made it.
2/10. Seriously.
23rd June, 2012

Sublime Vanille by Creed

I think this one falls on the feminine side, but it's a really nice fragrance. I love to smell it on my wife. She better feel lucky that she has a nice 50ml decant of this juice, because it's quality stuff.

Projects very well, and lasts very long on her skin.

Citrus and vanilla that eventually fades into just vanilla. Nice.
12th June, 2012

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

This one may not impress you that much at first sniff, but give it some time.

I'm glad I did, because now I consider this to be right up there with GIT. Wearable anytime, but still carries a classy vibe. Slowly becoming my new swiss army knife.
For fans of tea notes, ginger, and tobacco.
10th June, 2012

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Wow.

It took me a while to get around to trying this one, cause I had read that it was "so smoky," etc. I get the smoke reference to a point, but this stuff doesn't smell like cigarette smoke to me.

Tea for Two has an awesome black tea note. I've drank thousands of cups of black tea in my life, so that note is very familiar. The rest of the fragrance to me, reminds me a lot of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, but smoother, and honestly, better than TV.

As far as being unisex, I could see that I suppose. That said, when I wear this stuff, I don't feel remotely like I'm wearing something feminine. I'm all man, lady!

9.5/10
17th May, 2012

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

It's pretty good. I like it. But it smells a bit like someone's father. Someone's classy father, but someone's father nonetheless.

It's sophisticated, well made, and develops nicely. I'm not knocking it - but I think it's slightly overhyped around here. It just has a bit of that essence of a middle-aged man in a suit going to work in the morning. If that's you, than get this stuff right away! For me, if I want a jack of all trades type of scent, I much prefer something like Green Irish Tweed, that's a little more versatile as far as age goes, IMO.

Well done though.
18th April, 2012

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

I blind bought the EDT for cheap, didn't expect too much from it.

There's a smoothness and warmth that exudes class, while the slight essence of rubber keeps things interesting enough to maintain my attention. Very good.

And that bottle. What a thing of beauty.

EDIT - for the record, the EDT is slightly less powdery and seems to project better on me than the EDP
13th April, 2012 (last edited: 26th July, 2012)

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Meh.

This is one of the most synthetic scents I've come across recently. Sometimes, they work (see Aventus), and sometimes, they don't.

That brings me to Bleecker Street... While I like the green grass note, that's about all I note. The ozonic notes make this come across as a cheaper, generic aquatic designer fragrance. While I do appreciate that there is SOME obvious quality ingredients in this composition, unfortunately, they are outmatched by sharp, synthetic notes.

It's still wearable, and I don't mind it - but there are far better options in this category for the price. Millesime Imperial and Silver Mountain Water are two that come to mind.
20th March, 2012

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Damn. What a beauty.

I get quite a lot of rose out of this, contrary to what some have said. Rose is the star on my skin, complimented by cedar, cumin and an airiness that never becomes too thick or overpowering.

The cumin note is executed perfectly. It never once smells like BO, it just makes the fusion more interesting. The composition smells somewhat "pretty," yet still masculine - and that's the concept of the fragrance in a nutshell.

Rose 31 is wearable AND interesting.
19th March, 2012

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

I had high hopes, and upon spraying this one for the first time, my initial reaction was "seriously guys?"

This smells like the goal was simply this - "1 Million is a huge success, let's make something that resembles it."

I've heard this compared to both Tobacco Vanille and Pure Havane. And while they may share the odd element, Spicebomb lacks the quality and sophistication of Tobacco Vanille, and also lacks the sweet, wearable originality of Pure Havane. It's upsetting.

With a name like Spicebomb, and a grenade-styled bottle, I expected to be hit with something striking and powerful. Unfortunately, I got bubblegum off the top that made me yearn for 1 Million. I can't believe I actually said that.

Very, very disappointed with this. My wife wears flowerbomb extreme, and that is a very quality, sweet perfume with personality. Spicebomb is a dud fired from a plastic cap gun.
13th March, 2012

L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

When I first sampled Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, I was slightly underwhelmed. I expected a beautifully executed fragrance featuring simply tobacco and vanilla. What I got was a linear Christmas candle. It took me a few months to stumble upon Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille, but when I did... damn.

This is what tobacco and vanilla should be.

Vanilla is the star here. Boozy vanilla. The vanilla extract comparison is fair, but it's a MUCH deeper fragrance than that. This fragrance is not linear, it just unfolds a little slower, and lasts forever. There are dirty elements, including a wonderful tobacco note that whispers tasteful elegance. This is definitely unisex, doesn't shout, and exudes class. The booziness fades very slowly into a softer vanilla, but this isn't something that happens over a few hours, this is a day-long drydown!

All other vanilla scents I own are about to meet the trashcan.

10th March, 2012

L'Humaniste by Frapin

A spring/summer winner.

A beautiful peppery, gin-spiked citrus that doesnt get talked about too much around these parts. This isnt a buttery smooth composition, in fact it's almost sharp and fizzy, just like a gin and tonic - but it works quite nicely in this case.

If you're unfamiliar with this one, picture a better version of Chanel Aluure Edition Blanche. Where that particular fragrance gets creamy and cloying, L'Humaniste takes a different approach with the gin, to ensure it doesnt get too sickly sweet or creamy. With Edition Blanche, the fantastic opening notes dissappear quickly, but with L'Humaniste, that tart citrus stays present throughout.

A citric gin & tonic with a gentleman's vibe. Refined, fairly close to the skin, and signature worthy for warmer months. Very good.

06th March, 2012

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Highly overrated. There, I said it.

I don't need to go too far into the note breakdown, but here's my deal with TV. It's big, thick and linear. When I heard about this fragrance, everyone spoke about this very straightforward tobacco/vanilla combination. I get that, and both notes are nicely done - but if I'm being 100% honest, it smells closer to a damn Christmas candle. And hey, Christmas candles smell pretty nice, but this is just too thick and linear for me.

Just my opinion, but if you want a straight-up vanilla with a hint of tobacco, check out Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

Tobacco Vanille overall rating: 6/10
05th March, 2012 (last edited: 03rd April, 2012)

A*Men: Le Gôut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] by

The most interesting and underrated A*Men flanker of them all.

This one has balls. A lot of the A*Men Pure Malt/Havane lovers can't handle the heat! Beautiful chili pepper / coffee / chocolate. One of the most unique fragrances I've ever laid nostrils on. Warm, gourmand and spicy - but not that typical fragrance spicy that dominates a lot of male fragrances. This is a dirtier chili pepper, and when paired with that coffee/chocolate, we get something truly original. NOTHING smells like it, just the same as the original A*Men when it came out.

I had every single Pure/Angel Men flanker, and recently decided that I didn't need them all anymore. I sold Pure Coffee, Malt, and Havane - but I kept this one along with the original. Don't get me wrong, Coffee, Malt and Havane are great designer fragrances, but when put up against niche gourmand offerings like Tonka Imperiale, Spiritueuse Double Vanille etc, they just don't measure up in my eyes.

A*Men Taste of Fragrance feels like a niche fragrance, and although met with mixed reviews and little fanfare, its popularity seems to be steadily growing as folks wrap their noses around what's truly going on here. Not something you'd wear everyday, but worth owning.

05th March, 2012

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Plain and simple, but oh so good.

Salty beach, beautiful citrus with that signature Creed note that we all know. Inoffensive, yet very high quality. Gentleman in a suit heading to the office? 20-year-old headed to the beach? This will work great in any situation. The ultimate summer fragrance.

I get about 6-8 hrs longevity and modest projection. So spray lots on this one.

23rd February, 2012

I Love NY for All by Bond No. 9

A combination of dry (hazelnuts and cocoa) and wet (milky coffee).

This is REALLY gourmand. Fairly linear, relatively heavy - and synthetic. It makes me ill. Syrupy, milky, butter caramel artificial flavoring.

New Haarlem = great

ILNY4ALL = bad. really bad.
30th January, 2012 (last edited: 02nd March, 2012)

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

You just need to know how to wear it.

If worn properly, A*Men is absolutely incredible. A complete game-changer and modern classic. Obviously, this is a love/hate fragrance around here, so this one clearly isn't for everyone.

I also own Pure Malt, Pure Coffee, Pure Havane and the Taste of Fragrance A*Men. The original is still the best. There's just a certain semi-strange, yet very appealing blend of notes that makes me feel great throughout the day. The key is applying it properly.

Many times, I read you couldn't wear A*Men to work, or during the day etc - but that's absolutely not true. It's a powerhouse in the projection/longevity department, sure - but if you wear one spray on the chest, it doesn't get cloying or overpowering. I do the same with Tobacco Vanille with great results.

It's not very often a fragrance like this comes along. The polarizing opinions on A*Men only validate how unique a creation this truly is.
14th November, 2011

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

I think Pure Coffee Shop would have been a more appropriate name for this one. As a big fan of organic / fair trade coffees, I have to say, this doesn't really smell like dry coffee, ground coffee, roasted coffee, coffee beans etc. Not at all. It has more of a "coffee shop" smell, with some baked goods lingering in the background. Sweet and creamy.

When I first acquired this now rare juice, I was expecting actual coffee notes, so I was a little let down. However, after a few wearings, I started to really appreciate this one. It opens pretty sharp and strong, and projects very well for about 2-3 hours, before settling down, and sticking a little closer to the skin.

It's more subtle than the original A*Men. I like powerhouse fragrances, but it's nice to have this flanker that's a little more subdued, less obnoxious, and has an increased amount of that Mugler "coffee" note. It's more wearable than the original, but still a cool weather scent.

Pure Coffee is a very nice fragrance. It's not awe-inspiring, but it's a very welcome addition to anyone's fall/winter wardrobe.
18th September, 2011

Original Santal by Creed

I originally gave this a thumbs down - now I've done a total 180.

Absolutely love this stuff. Lasts forever. You think it's gone, and then 12 hours later, it's still there. Ladies over 25 lose their minds over it. Doesn't get cloying, smells "sexy," and is a great cinnamon/candy/sandalwood fragrance that isn't too thick, despite its great lasting power.

17th September, 2011 (last edited: 16th March, 2013)

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Projection - Good
Longevity - Very good

Picture an unlit Captain Black Gold over that Mugler base of caramel and patchouli - and lots of honey.

Sweet cigars that transition into a nice vanilla/caramel/patchouli. I don't think it's as "fresh" as some folks say, so I personally will use this more in fall/winter. Not something I want to wear everyday, but at least once a week, I get the urge and reach for this stuff.

18th August, 2011 (last edited: 05th September, 2011)

Aventus by Creed

Ah, my signature scent. I use this one anytime I'm going out in the Spring/Summer months. As you've probably heard, people LOVE it. Compliment central.

I've had a couple batches, and I've noticed that as the fragrances ages, the fruity opening grows in strength. I get slightly more apple than pineapple on my skin. The drydown is smokier, almost kinda leathery/rubbery, but oh so smooth. Even the noses of non-frag lovers are highly attracted to this one. Every time, it's like they're smelling something unique for the first time.

Lasts about 18 hours on my skin, and projects a transparent cloud. That's the beauty of it all - it's not a heavy cloud , it's light, but very much there.

9.5/10
07th August, 2011 (last edited: 23rd April, 2012)

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

You need to spend some time with this one to appreciate it's beauty. Performance - wise, it crushes most of the competition, maybe it's worth the price tag for the great longevity? It's ok to compare this to EdCs, but those don't perform half as good as NP does.

In the soapy scent arena, I prefer Creed Original Vetiver for its green undertones and dry down, but am considering buying this one too.
27th June, 2011 (last edited: 06th March, 2013)

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

The Holy Grail.

If I had to pick one fragrance, and wear it for the rest of my life, it would be GIT. It's masculine, very wearable, and the most versatile scent I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. Summer, winter, day, night, blue jeans, formal - all your bases are covered here.

I was hesitant to buy GIT at first, because, I thought it would smell generic (with the Cool Water comparisons and all), but that's really not the case. I don't live it a world where I constantly smell men wearing either GIT or Cool Water. I'm used to smelling 1 Million on guys my age.

GIT is a jack of all trades, and a good one.
29th May, 2011 (last edited: 15th April, 2012)

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Blackcurrant, green tea and musk over a glass of ice cold 7Up on a hot day. Projects for about 3 hours, lasts for 6. Among the freshest fragrances I've ever sniffed, and - it's actaually interesting. A nice alternative to smelling like everyone else, while still wearing a safe scent that will please everyone and offend no one.
Highly recommended.
09th March, 2011 (last edited: 29th July, 2012)

Allure Homme Edition Blanche Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I find the citrus in this is pretty well crafted. It smells great - however, it's just a bit too sweet for my nose. I love lemon, but this one makes me sick to my stomach.

It wears pretty close to the skin, and has average longevity.
25th February, 2011

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

This is a good option for a designer fragrance buy.

Lots of cedar and vetiver, smoothened by florals in the background. This really smells like wood.

Like a fresher, more wearable version of Encre Noire.
23rd February, 2011 (last edited: 27th March, 2012)