Reviews

Reviews by Possumbility

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Palisander by Comme des Garçons

Lovely, a perfumed sauna followed by a shot of cold peppered vodka. I find this to be a very relaxing scent.
27th February, 2012

Belle du Soir by Le Labo

Love it.
Reminds me Balmain Ivoire and Ann Klein Blazer. Lovely green chypre, woods over laying a green mossy base with a little bit of soap. Very cool and subdued. There's no oak moss listed, but it smells like oak moss to me. Doesn't smell modern at all. Marigold isn't listed, but it smells like marigold to me. Or maybe it's artemisia? I don't know, it's a dry herbalicious. I'd be very interested to hear other people's opinion on this.
The only thing I don't like, is the bottle. I usually couldn't care less about the bottle but this one is so cheap, with the label peeling off and glue smudges on the bottle. I tried to get another one, but they were all equally shoddy. Looks like a poorly done, home made perfume found at a Unitarian church bazaar.
Smells great.
03rd February, 2012

Smitty by Coty

Nice green, mossy light floral and slightly soapy. Reminds my of Anne Klein Blazer but less powdery.
17th January, 2012

Cuoio by Odori

This smells like very expensive soap. I like it, but I don't want it. Hardly seems worth the price.
15th January, 2012

Les Nombres d'Or - Cuir by Mona di Orio

Dab this on and it's great- pine, sweet tabacco, smokey leatherness. Spray this on-Lord help you.
10th December, 2011

Blazer by Helena Rubinstein

I have the Anne Klein Blazer, same perfume?

Oh, I love me some 70's strident feminist don't-look-at-my-tits perfumes. Reminiscent of Aliage, but more business. I have no idea what the notes are, but to me it smells like a green oakmoss, little vetiver on top a very light lily. I wish women were allowed to smell like this again, feminine but direct.
09th November, 2011

Alliage by Estée Lauder

New to perfumes (so much wasted time), I'm still learning what I like and the vocabulary to express it.

I have a current formulation and a partial mini of 70's vintage.
The vintage is so much better, surprise huh? On the vintage the nose biters (aldehydes?) fade quickly revealing a mossy, herbal, delightfully woody scent with citrus tops notes and a very subdued slightly powdery base with just a hint of sweet. The wood reminds me of douglas fir pitch, warm, aromatic with a slight sharpness.
Lord, I wish they would re-release this and sell it to men and save them from smelling like Krispy Kreme counter boys.
The newer formulation?
On it's own, it's alright. The resemblance is there but there's a flatness and kind of a musty, sourness to it with just a slight hit of just wrong. It's a dish cooked with poor ingredients and a dash of contempt for the diner.
I've got to get a full bottle of the vintage. I love this stuff.
11th October, 2011

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

Just got some of the EDC (white bottle, gold cap) off Evilbay. Not sure of the vintage, but the blue box lacks the Der Grüne Punkt and ingredients are listed as alcohol, water, and fragrance and D&C Brown n.l, so before 1991, I figure.
Whatever the date, I like this stuff. Powdery honey spice with a root-beer tinted musk. Reminds me of vintage Tabu, but more refined. More call girl than reasonably priced, conveniently located sex worker. I would love to try the vintage parfum.
Actually this would be a great scent for a roller derby girl. It's strong, feminine, charmingly retro and would go well with sweat.
06th October, 2011