Reviews by spirit966

spirit966's avatar
    spirit966
    Hong Kong Hong Kong

Interlude Man by Amouage

I give this a thumbs up for quality but a neutral for personal preference.
    Interlude actually ticks all the boxes for quality, longevity and projection. Unfortunately 2 things comes to mind for me
    1) it's an oriental, but isn't arabesque like Jubilation or Epic, it feels a little bit like a western take of an oriental
    2) the sweetness of the fragrance overlaps with other vanillic fragrances I already have. If I own "x"now I may buy Interlude, but only when I finish x. Then again, price may be a mitigating factor.

In all honesty though this fragrance as a bit of everything, the greeness of Memoir, the incense, the myrrh which makes it unique, the vanillic sweetness, a hint of turkish delight accord and some leather and oud in the end. It fills a gap between Jubilation because its less opulent, a gap between Epic because it is less animalic despite having a similar base, fills the gap between Memoir because of the greeness in the opening.
    Some will like this, others may find it lacking a bit of edge from an Amouage.

09 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 December, 2012)

Prada Amber pour Homme Intense by Prada

Great fragrance . To me, its a grown up La Nuit De L'homme. Both are signature scent worthy for the winter.
    The midnotes of myrrh and patch reminds me ever so slightly of a touch of chocolate which is very nice indeed. I like YSL's opening more but this has a much deeper and interesting drydown and last ages, although projection is moderate in fall weather and weak for super very cold freezing weather.

Opens with green soapy bergamont and then quickly goes into the chocolate vanilla drydown which is quite beautiful.

I prefer this to the EDT version as this is a deeper fragrance.

Sadly though, I have too many fragrances now and as such willing to part with it.
    I guess I prefer Tobacco Vanille and Musc Ravageur over these 2 although Amber pour Homme is a more office appropriate scent to be honest.

22 March, 2012

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Its a nice piney, slightly boozy scent. I don't actually find it as spicey as mentioned but it this scent does smell, fresh, modern, slightly boozy and alchoholic, herbal, slightly balmy and classy.

Its a great work and everyday scent if it wasn't for the fact that I have other stuff in my collection that serves this purpose.

I won't call this unique, but it is a well done scent.

As such looking to part with it despite not using it.

19 March, 2012

Coromandel by Chanel

Super long lasting juice, then again, anything with a strong patchouli note does also.

Not really fond of the opening, its a bit of a cherry, almond smell which I find a bit off putting. The amber here is very nice and reminds me of Eau Lente from Diptyque (just texture not smell), may be its the incense and benzoin/opoponax doing tricks.

Dries down to a creamy, almondy, white chocolate sensation,and yes, this is like Amen white chocolate edition you can say, but less sweet.

Interesting fragrance, its a like but not a love as I don't find it compelling or challenging enough and the opening wasn't that appealing to me. Its an oriental that its warming or caressing and comforting enough for me and a bit too much patchouli.

12 March, 2012

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

Regret the purchase.

Its too green, too juicy, too tomato-ey. I know why people will like the refreshing and soothing nature of the fragrance, but I feel like being suffocated in vegetable and vines! (think of the water and vegetable juice after washing lettuce when making a salad!)

There is a rose note there, a dark, truffly, earthy one. But yes, it is engulfed by the greeness of this fragrance.

Good for Spring / Summer but I just can't the salad and vegetable connations!

05 March, 2012

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Very nice Iris fragrance. This is the first fragrance on in the FM lineup. I find it very feminine and prefer L'eau D'Hiver for an Iris scent in this collection.

It opens very floral and fresh, but as it dries down, the woods, vanilla and musks does make it more unisex.

I don't really find this to be very powdery either. Nevertheless, this is a very good take on a more literal translation of iris I have come across. The supporting flowers such as jasmine pushes this on the fem side. Very sexy.

27 February, 2012

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

On a guy I give this a neutral, on a woman a thumbs up.

The opening is quite masculine and Middle Eastern, am I the only one that gets the incense note? After the opening fades, I get some citrus and a fresh, calming pink rose.
    This rose reminds me of the one in Lumiere Noire, which is green tending to pink, so obviously I perceive Voleur as a more feminine rose scent.

I would'nt call this a dirty rose like many of you do, it is slightly dusty because of the patchouli bit that's as far as I will go in labelling it goth (Portrait of a Lady, C&S). I also find this a calming frag something like a tea rose, along the veins of Lumiere Noire.

The rose nose disappears around 2hours later and what is left is a skin scent.

A tad too feminine on me and I prefer LM over this one for this type of rose.

27 February, 2012

Lys Méditerranée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Simple scent.
    Fresh breezy lilies with a camphor note.

But I prefer Carnal Flower which is more solar and deeper and has more camphor notes.

12 February, 2012

Touch GrigioPerla by La Perla

Reminds me of a less sweet and slightly spicer version of Boss Bottled.

Personally, YSL La Nuit/L'homme trumps both of them.

03 February, 2012

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Very long lasting fragrance (12+ hours) but is more of a close to the skin scent.

Starts with balmy mint, just like tiger balm and slowly progresses to a clean white musk. The incense, cloves etc is there, but is more or less muted.

I am not sure if this is a EDT or EDC, as on the bottle it only says PV is 5%, so perhaps the weakest Malle in terms of concentration?

This is a really good choice for a guy in suit and tie.
    Just like Terre de Hermes in my wardrobe. Neither are my favourite but both has its purpose.

18 November, 2011

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Regret spending money on this one, gave it away.

Totally understand why people will like this. The sweet orange blends with ambered woods to make a warm and comforting scent which is discreet, classy and warming.

But because of such more longevity and projection (this is the bigger issue), it doesn't fit in the winter (since no one can smell you) nor the summer (yes it will project but it isn't fresh enough).

For a comforting amber scent in the designer market, I prefer Chanel Allure pour Homme much more than this. Can't think of another scent with a similar opening though which to be fair, is quite attractive.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I get why people like this. It starts fresh and strong, and dries down to a sweet tonka/tobacco concoction which suggests class. Projection and longevity is also very good.

But I don't like this fragrance. Although it does suggest class I find the ingredients in this very harsh, almost industrial even. The lemon is too sour, the lavender is too much, the tobacco note smells cheap. For a fresh scent this smells slightly dated...

Versace's The Dreamer which also shares a tobacco note starts off harsh (not industrial though) and dries down sweet, comforting and mellow. The Dreamer is rustic, yet romantic at the same time. Yet I also parted with this as it felt too rustic. I preferred Dior Homme in the end for a flowery masculine.

Pour Homme just doesn't suit my taste, and the fact that my ex-boss (whom I despise) wears this, it really does't help either.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This is in relation to the Pure Parfum.

I don't deny that this is a great fragrance which exudes class. But somehow, I prefer my other classy fragrances such as Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geranium PM, Green Irish Tweed.

Perhaps it will get more wearings as the weather cools down, but then I fear that my Fahrenheit will get more wears during those times when going to work.

Starts with a tart grapefruit note, which quickly transitions and mixes with a very very strong cedar note and ISO E Super. I know girls really dig the woodiness here as its very masculine. The grapefruit note along with the benzoin gives you a minerally vibe and along with Ellena's typical transparent style, projects quite a bit, but is never overbearing (unlike in the EDT at tiimes).

Its a really well made scent, but given the other items I have on my wardrobe and the fact that I am more into sensual/dark scents I am willing to part with by 95% full 200ml bottle if there is anyone interested.

For the masculine scents, I prefer my VE.Though of course, as said before, girls really like the woody notes in this one so perhaps this is more of a compliment getter.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Its a beautiful day scent which is good for late summer/early fall.

I don't know why I don't wear this as much as I should. Perhaps it is more of a comfort scent like L'eau d'Hiver (Frederic Malle) in my wardrobe and is not really masculine.

Chai Tea latte with dabs on condensed milk is what this reminds me of.

I go 4-5 sprays for this one and it does last quite a long time 8-10 hours, but yes, it does not project.

A true comfort scent, and I guess that why I don't wear it enough!

Would have been even nicer if they turned down the sweetness slightly and amped up the myrrh note.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Really like this scent as it is comforting, ambery and soothing.

It is a very sweet gourmand and I do agree that the vanilla here is not the best around.

But the cinnamon and tobacco + the vanilla really is a soothing masculine concoction.

I don't agree that this smells like Spiriteous Double Vanille. Yes they both do vanilla. But this is more about cinnamon, tobacco (pipe tobacco), and warm vanilla with a little bit of a raisin and eggnog (honey) note during the first few hours. Spiriteous Double Vanille starts very boozy and ends with a vanilla icecream accord.

08 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 January, 2012)

Lyric Man by Amouage

I really like this as a warm weather rose fragrance. I'm not too keen on the opening as it smells lacking in penetration and precision. But the mid and dry down, along with the incense + rose + vanilla is really beautiful.

Its a very very romantic scent.

I don't know if its just me, but I don't find this fragrance to have strong projection and sillage and given that it only spritzes very little, I usually spray myself 6-8 times (1 spritz here is like half of a Creed or Frederic Malle or Le Male).

The other 2 rose scents I have are Une Rose and Portrait of a Lady. Une Rose is a earthy sinister one and Portrait is a goth oriental.

Of the 3, I think Lyric Man is the most romantic of the bunch.

08 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2011)

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

ts quite nice, winey, plasticy (truffle accord?), and slightly sweet; definitely a darker rose when compared to Lyric Man. I heard that it is an amped up version of Bond's Westside. I really like it, although it does feel a little bit like a less rosy and more restrained Une Rose from FM if that makes any sense.

If you want to go for something even more over the top, check out Une Rose from Frederic Malle. It is boozier, earthier, more chewy but more winey at the same time (some will find it acetoney).

08 November, 2011

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Its very thick and amberish indeed. But not really sweet or cloying. Its more syrupy than vanillic if that makes any sense.

Somehow it feels a bit like petrol in terms of how clean/dirty it is (Fahrenheit) and a mix of Musc Ravageur's animalic notes.

Very unique indeed but I'm not sure I put this ahead of TV and seems like it is very suitable for layering.

08 November, 2011

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Very realistic bitter orange (or in Asia preserved and salted orange/kum kwats).

It only projects 2 hours on me a;though it will last more than 8 hours (when I shower I can easily smell it). [4 spray]

As such this probably will only be smelt in hot weather, only a summer fragrance....

PV of 12.5% makes this and EDP. If this is the case, it is one of the weakest EDP I have come across.

I like this more than Terre d'Hermes because it is more distinctive in what it does. (Terre is quite weather neural, all season). Some put this head to head with Millesime Imperial for summer but I prefer this because of its uniqueness.

A very good summer casual scent.

30th March, 2011

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Rubbish... no projection, no longevity.

if you like the musky drydown of this, opt for 212 Men instead.

From Francis Kurkdjian, creator of Le Male, did not expect that he created something so underwhelming.

29 March, 2011

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Nice smell indeed.

But with such weak projection and longevity I really don't know when is the best time to use this scent...

Summer, and you smell like a Xmas tree. Winter and no one can really smell you!

29 March, 2011

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

Very nice smelling and VERY strong during the first 3-4 hours. This will do very well for a suit and tie gentlemen or during the summer. I find this even more assertive than say, GIT.

But does this remind you of some body deo or Old Spice that one splash on after the shower? Very barbershop, very 'out of the shower and splash' feel.

Very clean, very bright. But for the price point, I am not so keen. Also, parts of it do smell synthetic.

Is this a EDC? Because if it is, its very long lasting indeed, 6-8 hours for me.

26 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 March, 2011)

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Quite a multi-faceted fragrance, reminds me a little bit of Chanel Allure but much more interesting.

Starts with slightly orange zest and rose. At different times of the day, I will only get woods, cinnamon, nutmeg, or just cloves. So you get a bit of everything from the get go. Very 3 dimensional fragrance; this is what Chanel Allure markets itself to be. Noir Epice is spicier and less sweet or creamy of course.

Surprisingly, I do find this slightly sweet (not tonka or vanilla sweet though), so its not as rough as some people suggest, although I do agree that the spices does not seem to be processed or mixed together for one unified smell.

16 March, 2011

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Not much to add as I think its a great fragrance if you are into a green/mossy chypre-related fragrance with a huge unique twist on the top note.

I like it much better than many other niche scents that opens green and drys into a musk/incense/patchouli/vetiver type drydown such as Malle's French Lover.

Longevity is great, 8-12hours.
    Projection is great for 3-5hours; I wouldn't really call this a monster though and I think it works better in spring/fall rather than the winter actually.

3 sprays: 1 on chest/base of neck, 1 behind each ear.

I'll like to add that the petroleum note is very apparent upon spraying, but I think its has been overplayed. Its only there at the opening 2-4 hours, after that the fragrance becomes sweet and musky with a hint of powdery suede leather.

03 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 March, 2011)

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I don't get it.

Sure, its not the best around. Sure, its a bit generic in the citrus - sweet tonka formula. Sure, parts of it are generic or slightly synthetic.

But you can't deny that its blended well, one of the better ginger notes around I think.

And for it being boring? Well, are the fresh Creeds all interesting?! Lemons with amber, Orange with amber, Grapes with amber....zzzz
    Sure, they have better ingredients. But that is also reflected in the price isn't it?

I can only imagine that people will not like L'homme only if they despise sweet fragrances or that it is a tad feminine.

And calling it generic, which citrus scent is done in a similar way?

01st March, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2011)

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Tried Sycomore, tried Encre Noire, tried Guerlain's Vetiver, tried Creed's, tried Hermes Vetiver Tonka... But VE is the best!

Guerlain is too soapy fresh, with an old man's feel.
    Creed is less soapy but has a similar vibe; an innocent vetiver.
    Herme's is sickly sweet. Hazelnut mixed with vetiver. Imagine dropping the vetiver into a saucepan of syrup and you trying ever so hard to separate the two.

Sycomore and Encre are similar. But with Encre being darker and bitter, picture Spiderman putting on the Venom suit, corrupted, evil, put still somewhat cool. Both are vetivers dominated by warm woody notes. Imagine the vetiver root pulled out of a forest with the wind catching the smell of a tree truck. (French Lover's vetiver is in this category). Very rustic.

Malle's VE doesn't rely on the roots of the vetiver to maintain its masculine edge, but rather the fresh citrus blended with the sharpest green vetiver I have ever come across. As sharp as a blade. The ozone notes lightens the scent but also tingles your senses every time VE catches a whiff of the air; sharp green vetiver attacks your senses and reminding you of the incisiveness of this vetiver, just when you thought it is gone. A great juxtaposition between lightness (ozone note) and incisiveness without relying on heavy woods (rustic) to depict manliness.

The greenish, airiness, sharpness, and mossiness of VE makes this one a very unique take on vetiver I must say. Yes, it is more linear than the Sycomores or Encre Noires... But only because it is the purest take on the vetiver note that I have so far come across.

Great for Spring and Summer for me!

Perfect!

Too bad vetiver fragrances in general have only average longevity, 6 to 10 (pushing it) hours

01st March, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2011)

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

GIT vs Cool Water side by side:

Opening:

CW: Much stronger projection and does have an aquatic note to it. Also much spicier than GIT with a strong lavender, minty and coriander smell. Overall smell is much denser than GIT. Can be described as more translucent that GIT (due to more notes) or harsh [your pick]

GIT: Lemon juice and verbana. Very smooth but weaker projection. Can smell some sweetness to it, perhaps the amber peeking through? Not as sweet/spicy than CW though

Mid:
    CW: spicy and sweet with the lavender/mint/calone combo mixing with some woodiness and amber

GIT:
    Smooth transition into the mid. Top notes goes weaker and the violet leaves and amber peek through. Violet leaves are quite dry to my nose

Base:
    CW:Sweet lavender, florals with hints of musk

GIT:
    Lemon flavoured waxy amber with slightly powdered sandalwood.

Overall:
    I find GIT smoother and more natural, and CW harsher and sweeter.
    I think GIT's base beats CW but CW takes it on the projection end.
    Longevity is similar for both, at 6-10hours for me.

I like GIT more, but in all fairness, I think it beats CW because of better ingredients, not better construction, if that makes any sense.

Most Creeds I have sampled all smell very natural to its ingredients (natural lemon, vetivers, mandarin orange, sandalwood etc)

One criticism I have for GIT though, is that I actually find it much more linear than CW. CW is actually more complex, even though GIT is better blended and not harsh at all, even when oversprayed. On the other hand, CW can cause headaches if you spray a tad too much.

Summary:
    GIT is like a salad; ingredients from the garden next door mixed together in the simplest and natural way (like many Creeds). Natural and tasty, but do you need a top chef to prepare this?

CW is like a stir fry: many processed ingredients bought in the local supermarket. Cooked well but not seasoned to everyone's liking.

01st March, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2011)