Reviews by magali

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

Quite interesting and certainly unusual, almost medicinal. I like the bottle design a lot too. I don't know much about Cartier fragrances but it would certainly prompt me to try a few more.
24th August, 2012

La Petite Robe Noire 2012 by Guerlain

When passing by our local department store in Galway, I noticed ads for La Petite Robe NOire and could not believe my luck. Quicker than Usain Bolt, I whizzed up the kids to the nearest sales assistant and asked firmly but excitedly: "Where is you new Guerlain counter?". The reply was: "We don't have one just that perfume over there..." So I crouched down and sprayed some of LPRN on myself and on the girls. One can never start too early...I should have seen it coming... I should have known... When you start producing pink Shalimar, it's the beginning of the end. As they say here, my heart was in my mouth. I could have cried. What is this cherry jam doing here? Cherry and some sort of liquoricy smell to add insult to injury.Why call it a little black dress when it's cherry pie? Unfortunately, I never thought I 'd have to use the dreaded word...Of course, it's COMMERCIAL!!! Forget being inspired, forget doing something different and adventurous. Just put syrup in a pretty bottle with a pretty name and forget about the rest. It will sell for a few months maybe a year. Put another one out on the market as soon as sales dip a bit and call it Frilly Knickers or Cashmere Jumper and I bet you it will sell. Well, my heart is broken truly and surely.

Jicky by Guerlain

As I was home in France, I decided it was high time to try out Jicky since everybody seemed to agree it's rather unique. So off I went to this new boutique that had a Guerlain counter. As I am a fan of Guerlain, I liberally doused myself in it and then I nearly fainted.I kid you not! All I could smell was baby puke...litterally and I have 3 children so I know what I am talking about!!! Not a good idea when it's nearly 30 degrees celsius outside. After about 20 minutes it did go away but I was in such a shock that I could not smell anything else. It was tattooed in my brain and all I could think of was vomit, vomit, vomit...Lavender? Lemon? Not a hope!
I struggle a bit with l'Heure Bleue but this is something ELSE. Unfortunately, i'll have to give it a miss.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I don't usually like sweet scents but this one is quite nice. It reminds me of vanilla creme brulee with a hint of burnt orange peel. Yummy. Its saving grace is probably the burnt note which cuts the sweetness down. To be used sparingly though. I'd say I 'd get bored with it pretty quickly and could be sickening in big doses. Basically: to be handled with care.

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

Liked it a lot then and still like it now almost 15 years later. Unlike Cristalle Eau Verte which is pretty linear, Pamplelune really is zesty! I agree that there is a slight sour note like sweat in it but I actually like it better that way. Probably the neroli. It's tangy, bitter and sharp like citrus peel. Not just for summer. Would probably work better than any vitamin C tablet to combat the winter blues.

Tocade by Rochas

Well, once again I agree with Awsomeness, makes me heave just even thinking about it... nothing else to say.

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

Before I talk about the perfume, I would like to talk about the real Jardins de Bagatelle, tucked away in the Bois de Boulogne in Paris. It is a wonderful place to visit and my parents used to bring me there quite often at the week ends. One should go in the Spring or in June. In March or April, you will see carpets of hyacinths, narcissi, tulips like a giant painting. In June, all the roses, irises etc are in bloom. I often associate my interest in gardening with my interest in scents and perfume. I would always choose plants that have a smell. So, it all started well before I even knew of this perfume. When I was 12 or 13, my maths teacher used to wear this perfume. I actually did not know what it was or even its name.To me it was GLORIOUS! It's only much later I recognized it and since then it has always been one of my top choices. I have an old miniature and I rarely wear it, just smell it. It just makes me feel so good. It's amazing how well it has kept. I don't know anything about the newer productions but this one is all flower and honey, completely indulgent. I can see why people would get sick of it. It's like too much of a good thing...

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

I am no good at detecting individual notes in perfumes and I always prefer to talk about what it remins me of. Sometimes I associate perfumes with colours. In this instance, it talks to me... something "green" that "ripens" not in a fruity way but in a plant way, like in the autumn. It is strong enough to last a good while but it's not in your face. All in all, a real hidden gem.

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

At first I completely ignored this perfume when I first tried it. I did not like the name (did not evoke anything to me). I thought the opening was too sharp. But later on I tried it again and now I can safely say it is one of my favourites. I usually like warm and bold scents and this one hits the olfactive spot. I would recommend it to anyone who likes Chamade or Shalimar. Not that it is the same but in my opinion it works in a similar way. At first you are taken aback and then it settles down and has a lovely vanilla finish, not at all synthetic. All in all, agood job well done!
10th March, 2012

Un Air de Samsara by Guerlain

I agree with Awsomeness. I much prefer the original Samsara. There is something not quite right with this one and longevity is not great. It's still ok on occasions or if you are afraid of Samsara.
10th March, 2012

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

For me it's all about the cinnamon and maybe that's why I associate this with winter. It's Christmas and ginger bread men. It's cloves and cinnamon in mulled wine. I don't think of Italy and Vespas... Weird...

Aqua Allegoria Gentiana by Guerlain

Too masculine for me. I would not feel confident wearing it in case people might think I stole my husband's perfume.

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

What people have to remember is that all the first AAs from Guerlain were quite a departure from what you would have smelled in the 90s. It was kind of back to basics and back to more natural unisex fragrances. Try and compare with Dune, Dolce vita, Poison etc... It was quite a new leaf in the book (pardonthe pun!) I think that's why they were such a hit. I love Herba Fresca because it's so FRESH! That's the thing about it! Not sweet, not artificial, not fashionable...I wore it when it was first out and I still love it. Sometimes I smell the mint, sometimes the green tea, sometimes grass, sometimes lemon....I never get bored with it.

Dune by Christian Dior

I love Dune but in small amounts. It is definitely a French perfume. I could smell it in the Metro when going to college. I think everyone was wearing it in those days ( in the 90s) It would blast through the whole carriage and God knows you need something pungent to override the Metro smells...It's different and you can safely say it 's not for everyone. It's sweet and spicy but not in a Mitsouko way.

Joy by Jean Patou

What a blast! It really packs a punch but that's exactly the type I love. It's gutsy with a hint of wild animal. Gets your head in a spin. Give me more....

Let it Rock by Vivienne Westwood

Bought it cheap on the internet. I know why now...It's going to be un uphill struggle to fall in love with it let alone wear it. I might have to pass it on to somebody ready for the fight.
Because I don't want to end up with a French/Irish/Greek/American style budget deficit, I tend to be careful and read reviews before buying. But what do I get for my troubles?
A blend of liquorice All Sorts and sweaty armpits! Alors la, non merci!!!
30th June, 2011 (last edited: 12th August, 2011)

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

I must say I am a bit surprised by the amount of negative reviews this one has had. I have to confess I am on my second bottle now and I just love it. Even my husband said it smelled lovely and believe me he has no more interest in perfume than I have in paints and glues. To a certain extent, this perfume reminds me of Arpege and Caleche even though Rumeur is different. I also like the name (gossip, background noise) and I think it really befits this perfume: slightly dark and secretive. The lasting power is great and the price is good too. What more does a girl need?
30th June, 2011

Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia by Guerlain

Finally got my hands on this one!!! A whole 125ml bottle of it! For years I had longed to get it as I remembered the smell from a small sampling I had got ages ago.
Now some people might say that there is an element of cat pee in it but that's part of the deal. Beside our house in the South of France, a neighbour had a hedge with white waxy flowers which turned into sticky seeds (choisya I believe) and that's exactly the smell you get. To me it's one of the stronger AAs, to be handled with care but it's definitely worth it. I believe Orange blossom is back in fashion but this one is a turbo blast of Eau de fleur d'oranger with almost a "frangipane" finish (the almond paste you get in Galette des Rois cake). Sweet indeed but in a sharp way.
07th June, 2011

Terracotta Voile d'Eté by Guerlain

I like carnation scents (peppery almost) but I am a bit unsure about this one. People seem to find the longevity weak and short but NOT ME and it's an eau de toilette...I dread to think how strong an eau de parfum would be. It almost gave me a headache...or maybe I already had the headache before putting it on. I'll have to try again maybe in the winter. It would break my heart to have to give it the thumbs down so I'll come back to this one in a while.

now that I have gone back to Voile d'Ete I can almost smell an Orange Liqueur or Grand Marnier (sorry if I'm not allowed to mention alcoholic drinks) in it or is it the colour deceiving me? Not as overwhelming as first time round but still heavy- or maybe because I don't like liqueurs.
05th June, 2011 (last edited: 08th June, 2011)

Aqua Allegoria Lilia Bella by Guerlain

Lighter than Diorissimo with the added bonus of roses...Who can complain? I am so into the"garden" scents. It is so joyful...

Aqua Allegoria Pivoine Magnifica by Guerlain

Blast of grapefruit first then flowers. Easy to wear and I am not ashamed of admitting it. Sometimes you just want your nose to relax a bit after working so hard with the more demanding Guerlain stuff!

Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella by Guerlain

Funnily enough I hate Pastis and you would never find me eating Liquorice Allsorts and yet I love this AA. There is no denying it is based on anise but not in a sickly way. It's fresh but you can smell something darker and more substantial lurking in the background. I'd say definitely unisex. I'm bringing this one to the South of France on holidays- I think it will be perfect for it!

Chamade by Guerlain

At this stage, I'd better come up with the truth!. Even though, I live in Ireland, I'm actually French and I have a sad compulsive disorder when it comes to buying Guerlain perfumes! I basically have to have them all- this can be tricky here in Ireland- but not anymore thanks to the Internet...It all started back in the 80's in Paris. My mum used to own two big bottles of Chamade and Shalimar. I'd say she only used them twice a year- at christmas and on her wedding anniversary. This suited me just fine: a spritz here and a spritz there and I must have been the most expensive scented teenager in town.
Bref, as we say, this must have been the start of it all. I am unashamedly biaised when it comes to Guerlain- must be the early neurone connections made at the time.
I have to admit that this perfume makes me sneeze when I spray it on: this is a small price to pay to smell both gorgeous and exceptional.

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

One of my first ever grown up perfume. I just love the carnation blast. The bottle was so beautiful too! I still own it today and I never get tired of it. Works all time round- not too soft, not too strong but still remarkable.

L'Air du Printemps by Nina Ricci

As this is my first review, people are going to think I am a grouch. I love L'Air du Temps so I bought L'air du Printemps without even trying it... I will never ever do this again. As much as i love the original, this one (I am sorry to say) just stinks. Literally... I like bold scents (usually wear Guerlain or Dior) but this is not bold... it is in your face. It's hard to describe as I am not a professional but to me it smells highly artificial and sweet and definitely cheap. Basically, I don't think it will hit the shelves again in a hurry.

Maybe I was in a bad mood but actually it's quite OK. I tried it again in the winter and it certainly works much better. Smells less sweet and artificial. Just shows it can be very subjective. I would not wear it on a hot day though. I think it exacerbates its bad qualities. Not a patch on the original but it could be ok in small doses.
04th May, 2011 (last edited: 25th February, 2012)

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

For me it's easier to wear than Jardins de Bagatelle but don't get me wrong, I love both. Utterly French stuff: strong and yet delicate.

Eau Fraîche by Christian Dior

Like Eau Sauvage so suits me prefectly fine. I always loved my Dad wearing Eau Sauvage. I think it's a nostalgic thing for me. I really love it.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

My spring pick me up! When feeling down or tired, I spray some on and I'm back in the garden in May. Cannot fault it.

Mayotte / Mahora by Guerlain

It's not something one should wear everyday as it is quite powerful but it's definitely not ordinary. Unisex certainly. It took me a while to grasp what it reminded me of. I think it's coconut macaroons straight out of the oven. A little goes a long way so it's a great investment if you can get your hands on a small bottle.