Reviews by howiwondrwhatur

howiwondrwhatur's avatar
    howiwondrwhatur

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

I've tried this several times, trying to find the love, but it's not going to happen.
    It makes so little impression on me, I can't even find the words to describe it.
    Basically, there's nothing to specifically dislike about it, but I find nothing to like about it either. So, bottomline, it prevents me from wearing any number of other fragrances that I DO like. As there are V.I. lovers - I have to wonder if there is some molecule in this that my nose somehow can't "read". Because I really do get just absolutely nothing from this. So. No, I don't like it. Right now, I just want to scrub it off.

20th May, 2014

Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture

Yummy to its Core

If you like Bath and Body Works' TWILIGHT WOODS, (which is very popular), you will most likely like Viva La Juicy. I love both. There is a very caramel, praline deepness to both of them. Creamy, sweet, and a little dark. Viva La Juicy ends up being just a little bit tangier. In a word. It's yummy. It's the kind of fragrance that your nose just wants to get closer and closer to its source. It also has just the slightest trace of muskiness. Doesn't that just sound beautiful? It all does to me!

18 June, 2013

Midnight Pomegranate by Bath and Body Works

Discovering this fragrance was a Proust moment for me. I smelled it at line dance class, a fragrance, or even a note, that I have remembered and pursued ever since my early childhood, and that was many many decades ago!! When I heard the word, pomegranate, I was pleasantly surprised, as that has always been a favorite in scented candles. So, now I am wearing it (the lotion), and am very pleased with it. As I read the Fragrance Notes, I have to say, it is the Base Notes in this fragrance that really come through to me as recognizable. And I think it is the tobacco/sandalwood combo that gives
    the signature to this scent. I'm not exactly sure what "tobacco" as a basenote smells like, and to be honest, it doesn't seem appealing, and yet, I think it is the smokiness that I have been pursuing all along. I detect a bit of "60's" feel to it, and that surely must be the patchouli along with the exotic sandalwood. I'd have to call this a unisex fragrance. I like it very much. I am slow to make something a new favorite, but this is definitely working on me!

17 September, 2012

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I've waited a long time to find something I could love more than Light Blue. This is it. I agree with the references to Dr. Pepper and black licorice. I love that it smells as good up close on my skin as it does as it wafts up to my nose. It has a gentle, creamy sweetness, but never cloying. I could also describe the scent as a very complex vanilla... The gorgeous bottle only makes it all that more delicious.

20th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 March, 2012)

Happy by Clinique

First reaction was.... ok, quite bright. As grapefruit juice is my go to beverage, I gave it a little space where I accepted that tanginess along with the bergamot. Next, it hit me, this is really way too sweet. It seemed to be practically burning my nose. And minutes after that, the plastic/burnt rubber hit me with a vengeance and it was literally all I could smell of Happy. Nothing in my memory banks could make that odor a "happy" smell. I don't know how or why that awful plasticyness is there, but suddenly I couldn't wash or scrub it off fast enough. I was using a sample from a Sephora Sample box, and it was my last fragrance to sample, and the only one that struck me as so stridently sweet and awful that I had to get it off my skin. That said, I think that used very, very lightly, it might be ok, and maybe I just needed to give it time. But it will be awhile before I let us be re-introduced. I need to forget how bad things went the first time around. ;-)

02 January, 2012

Guilty by Gucci

Guilty does not even begin to live up to it's name. I agree completely with purplebird7; there is just simply no indulgence going on here to justify "guilt"; neither gourmand or animalic. I found it to be actually very uninteresting. If it is guilty of anything, it is of smelling like something my mother would have worn in the 60's that somehow smelled "old ladyish" to me even then.

19 November, 2011

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I love L'Eau d'Hiver. For me it vacillates between warm and frosty.... I think that is what Jean-Claude Ellena was after (?). Others have deciphered its notes better than I could, but nobody has mentioned what comes to mind to me. Somewhere in this, I detect a hint of licorice. I love that close up, it is wonderful on my skin. I haven't purchased anything beyond a sample of it, so haven't been lavish with it enough to know how it comes off to others. I DO want some for Christmas!

09 November, 2011