Reviews by blah114

True Religion for Men by True Religion

If Creed came out with this, no one would be the wiser and people would be raving about it. It's in fact a very austere CLASSY fragrance of very high quality. It has a lot going on and is much more complex after the drydown. This is a company watch out for (New Wave Fragrances, Inc--they make this fragrance).

20th December, 2011

Angels of Florence by Santa Maria Novella

from a male POV.. I know a woman who has this.. I know her well.. this fragrance is simply PURE CLASS.. suitable for ALL occassions.. winter, summer.. it's a daywear frag.. an evening frag.. by far SMN's best female fragrance.. it's modern and old at the same time, lasts a lone time.. and smells amazing on a woman. It's sexy without being "clubbish.." it's a lot of different things.. it's unassuming as well.. a beautifully crafted fragrance..

07 May, 2011

Vetiver by Guerlain

I used to not like this, but have since come to love this. It's amazing after a few hours. A staple and classic.. something that can be worn anytime.. anywhere.

02 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2011)

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

Well made. To me, this smells slightly like SMN's Melograno, which I love, but it smells SOPHISTICATED and dressy. There is tobacco a slight bit, a bit of leather, and patchouli. This fragrance it outstanding and wearable everyday.

01st May, 2011

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

Austere, classy, romantic, mature, knowledge.. all these words, and more, come to mind when wearing this. At first, the fragrance smells odd.. but as it changes, it becomes sweeter, less cloying, more like tobacco, with a bit of green tea and honey. Hands-down this is THE fragrance on which I get the most compliments. It's quite amazing something so old can still work in modern times. It's an amazing lemony, tobbaco, honey fragrance that reeks "gentleman has entered the room.." It's amazing, easily in my Top 3. I love this far more than the new version of Tabarome (call it what you will). Again, many many compliments on this fragrance.. even had a woman leave a restaurant lobby to come outside and ask me, "Pardon, may I ask what you are wearing????" Only to be worn with a formal attire, for the most special of occassions. I wish I could wear this all the time, but it's quite formal.. it's also just downright ENJOYABLE. I love this stuff.

12 January, 2008

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Amazingly sweet, wearable, with a mix of smoke and tea. It's quite modern and does not reek. It smells of class, craftmanship, something we expect from L'Artisan. I have never smelled anything like this in my life, but I like it very very much. It would be wearable to work or a date, quite versatile and I consider this a bit more masculine than feminine.

07 December, 2007

Bois du Portugal by Creed

The most upscale, "safe" manly scent which is simply astonishing as you wear it. To appreciate this, you have to wear it. It lasts forever and garners many compliments. Do not be fooled by its simplicity.. it changes into a complex, formal fragrance that is so classy, so upscale, and yet pleasant.. all at the same time.

07 December, 2007

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

One of the most stunning fragrances I have ever smelled. It smells very similar to Guerlain's Heritage or Floris' Santal, but has a "sandy" element to it. It truly smells of a burning sun mixed with sand, mixed with incense, in a beautiful way. Others around me claimed to have smelled chocolate(!) after 6 hours of wearing this scent. It is simply mystical and one of the nicest fragrances I have ever smelled. I would call this much more masculine than feminine. While it has similaries to Santal by Floris, it smells less sweet, and dries to something a bit more dignified. This could be worn to a wedding or business meeting. Lasts forever.

03 December, 2007

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Class in a bottle. I smell leather, spice, and hints of Angel for Men. This cologne is Envy and Angel+ leather, plus a classy pipe/tobacco scent mixed together. It reeks of utter class and is upscale and "business casual" simultaneously. This among the best scents I have smelled. It's quite uniqe. I hate comparing it to anything else because it is quite original. I love it.

23 November, 2007

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella

This is an amazing fragrance. It really surprised me. I thought it would be similar to wearing gasoline and oil. It's not at all like that. It's extremely pleasant to wear. At first it's flowery a bit, with leather. Then it changes an hour later to more intense leather mixed with a touch of sweetness. It does make you reminisce about car from Rush's Red Barchetta, or something similar. This is truly, truly a gentleman's fragrance that oozes pure class. It's not really about automobiles at all to me, but I do get the references.. it's, to me, like a nice morning drive on country road, isolated.. that smell of air, woods, leather, a hint (slight) of oil, and thrill. The best word I can come up with to describe this scent is "THRILLING." It is to unique. It's a leather mixed with hint of floral. There is something sweet about it, VANILLIC.. I concur. This fragrance is totally wearable and modern. I could wear this to a workplace easily and guarantee no one would be offended by it. It's a useable fragrance that evokes a calm mood in me. From the leather to the vanilla, such a unique combination of stuff going on here. I am blown away by this scent. I don't know what else to say, other than sample it, wait some hours and then judge it. It's amazing.. my 2nd favorite SMN fragrance. Thumbs far up for this one.

17 November, 2007

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

This one makes me re-think my approach and purchases. How can something so cheap, so commonly worn, and so inexpensive smell of such high-class, high-quality ingredients. Smells like fresh water, not much citrus, a bit of springtime grass, ocean mist, and a hint of musk. This fragrance is unique, original, and has been copied 100s of times by others. The bottle is very original.. I can see myself wearing this instead of Creed and other "designer" fragrances. Simplicity can be beautiful and good, and while this frag is not too simple, it's so commonly worn, people label it "simple." I guarantee if Creed made this fragrance, it would cost 10x as much, and people would be lining up in droves raving about it. It has made me realize I have sort of been duped into believing Creed and other houses are the best because everyone says so. This fragrance has garnered 100s of compliments and could be worn to dinner, a dance, or work. It's inredibly well-crafted. A shame it's so popular, but perhaps there's a reason it is..

11th November, 2007

Pot Pourri by Santa Maria Novella

This does not appeal to everyone, but you must give this scent TIME. It changes throughout the day and becomes less like potpourri and more like incense mixed with some spice. It really is like stepping back in time. I have had numerous compliments while wearing this fragrance. At first it does not smell like anything except potpourii. You must let it dry down before judging this. This fragrance is timeless and I can FEEL the history when wearing this.. it's quite upscale, well-made, and really does in fact change, like a fine wine, throughout the day. Again, numerous people have complimented this fragrance, so it's not just me that likes it. It's overpriced a bit, but a small amount goes a long way. This fragrance is enchanting, even "haunting," because I can sense the history of others that have worn this.. meaning it's simply GREAT to wear something that has been around for so many, many years, two centuries ago! It smells, to me, "European..." Charming and elegant, yet a bit contemporary. Not everyone will appreciate wearing this, but I've yet to encounter someone who has not liked it on me.. including myself! This is an amazing fragrance.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is not for everyone. I simply do not at all like this scent. It stinks to me and lasts forever. Others love it, but it's not at all refined. It smells like nothing else I've ever smelled. It is VERY sweet and cloying, gives me headaches whenever I wear (wore) it. It smells so unique that I am having problems describing it. I would imagine it's meant for sex or intimacy. It smells like "love lotion" ala very very sweet, like spicy berries, but then has a hint of spice in it. I do not like this scent at all, but to each his/her own. I can only review this scent based on my opinions.

Cool Water by Davidoff

This is the fragrance everyone always gives as a gift. Are they "re-gifting?" In any case, this is a blatant ripoff of Creed's Green Irish Tweed, but much more artificial and cheap-smelling, at least to me. I like Davidoff's Good Life, but not this stuff.. and I always seem to get it as a present every year from various people. I then re-gift it to others who I assume wear it. It's not the cheapest-smelling fragrance, but it's very unoriginal and smells like chemicals as the day goes on. I would not recommend this to people who like the scent.. I would recommend Creed's Green Irish Tweed.. you can get a GIT tester on the internet for the same price as Cool Water... and without the odd smells that are brought out during the day. To me, this fragrance smells fine at first, but then changes into a stench later in the day--which has much sillage.. It starts to smell like Drakkar Noir or some other highschool cologne as the day goes on. Very cheaply made, I would bet.

Vaniglia / Vanilla by Santa Maria Novella

This fragrance is feminine. It's straight-up vanilla, the way vanilla REALLY smells. It's got a hint of spice in it as well, so it's not EXACTLY like cooking vanilla. The fragrance is very high-quality, just like the other SMN fragrances. If SMN stooped as low as rolling out a "sweet" vanilla in its scent, the fragrance would be too cloying, sweet, and cheap. This fragrance is quite a pleasure to be around, and could be worn to a formal dinner or a workplace. I've yet to hear anyone that did not like this fragrance, but I would say this is for females vs males. It's great, lasts a long time, and is not overly sweet.. but it doesn't smell like cooking vanilla, either. It's simply elegant. But why would this be a surprise, considering Santa Maria Novella is a classy company. The nice thing about this scent, much less SMN, is you know very few people will have it. It's simply unique!! and great. [bought as a gift for a female]

Original Vetiver by Creed

Amazing stuff. I think it is quite fresh. And it's not that high priced, either. It may smell like other fragrances, I am unsure, but it lasts forever. It's a very fresh fragrance which lasts a long time. Amazing stuff, high quality. You can get a tester of this from scentiments.com for much cheaper than Mugler.

25 March, 2006

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

Absolutely amazing cologne. It changes througout the day, to a spicier scent. It's simply the "safest" fragrance for men I have ever smelled, but at the same time, it's so pleasing. Amazing stuff. In my top 5 and that's saying a lot considering my love for Creed, Chanel, and Santa Maria Novella.

25 March, 2006

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Over the years, I have come to wear this scent over and over and it's always pleasant. Oddly, I have had GUYS ask me what I am wearing more than women when wearing this. It garners many compliments. My problem has been various bottles smell of different quality... to me.

07 February, 2006 (Last Edited: 06 May, 2011)

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a very strange, original fragrance. I am no expert. This smells at first of animal urine mixed with nutmeg. But I have noticed it quickly dries into something unique, soulful, and warm. It smells "toasty" after a bit, with a hint of nutmeg, smoke, and sweetness. It's definitely unique and not objectionable at all. It does not even smell like a cologne. It smells like someone's past.. or a castle (review is dead-on about the castle).. it smells of an era vs a scent. I cannot describe this scent any more than to say L'Artisan must be a unique company to have dared something like this. Even the bottle is nice and upscale. I have received compliments from women on this, and even they said it smelled not like cologne, but "natural..like spring, or a season.." That's saying something, considering all the fragrances out there.. Like the 4th scent I've been asked about by others.. in a positive manner!

26 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 24 May, 2011)

Himalaya by Creed

People around me swear they smell sunscreen when I wear this. I like the scent, but it smells a bit like Platinum Egoiste by Chanel.. except mixed with suntan lotion. It dries down to a shell of itself and then smells good. I am giving this a "neutral" because people have complained of smelling tanning lotion.. not exactly a compliment. Perhaps Himalaya has some similar chemical. I am also neutral on this one because I expected more: high price, loads of reviews.. I would stick with Egoiste personally..

26 January, 2006

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I like this scent a lot, but it makes me ill after a while.. it's just "animalic.." it is very unique, smells like vanilla, but I would suggest smelling this before you buy it. I am sorry to give it a thumbs down.. because where one person despises this.. many others will love it.

20th January, 2006

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

To me, this smells like Creed's Himalaya a bit. I would not buy this again, but it's a highly elegant men's scent that has a patchouli-type smell to it. It's a nice scent that smells a bit sweet.

11th January, 2006

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

The most amazing Creed I've thus far smelled. It reeks of fruit at first, but settles to a spicy, smoky, masculine fragrance that is very fresh and appealing. Highly recommended.

11th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 25 March, 2006)

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

My fav Chanel thus far. Timeless. It smells like lime with a hint of spice. It's definitely "old-school" and smells of "class." This would be most appropriate to wear to a sales meeting, formal dinner, or a reception. It's elegant, classy, and to me smells modern despite being "old-school..." I have smelled numerous fragrances that have ripped this off.. it's original, elegant, and you cannot go wrong wearing this. It's not the most exciting to wear, but typically exciting scents reek, in my opinion... A*Men excluded.

11th January, 2006

Acier Aluminium by Creed

Sheer, unadulterated decadence. A scratchy, vanilla mixed with amber purely sexual fragrance. Cannot describe this one other than to say it's outstanding. It's upscale, elegant, mysterious, sexy, and just unique. How does Creed do it? Or, how DID they do this one..

29 December, 2005

Allure Homme by Chanel

Smells just like Boss Number 6, but less sweet. Very good scent.. even if unoriginal.

27 December, 2005

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I am not sure if this stinks.. or I love it. But it's very original and you WILL stand out when wearing it. The smell is not objectionable at all. It's simply strong and smells like mocha.. I have to say it's the most original scent I've smelled and I think women seem to love it. I noticed on the bottle the product is manufactured "for Thierry Mugler.." I wonder what mass-market company REALLY makes this stuff... I bet I would be disappointed to find out. I do recommend this, but it's most certainly a smell before you buy.. actually, you need to wear it for a few days before you buy.

22 December, 2005

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

The "safest" Creed thus far. It's great, but not as unique as their other scents. It's a very appealing, safe scent that others seem to love. I love it as well. It's entirely great for a daytime job or evening dinner. It's a bit casual, but could be used as formal (nothing like Tabarome from Creed, though!). I love this scent even if it is the most uninteresting Creed I've tried thus far. I think Cool Water ripped Creed off.. but the Creed smells much fuller, sweeter, sharper.. and just better. I compared the two side-by-side.. The Creed simply smells more.. clean.. less of chemicals.. and it's a different scent overall than Cool Water. However, Cool Water had to have known they were ripping off GIT, in my opinion. This is a wonderful, clean scent, that smells "spring fresh" and masculine at the same time. When I smell it, I picture Ireland hills.. perhaps the name has brainwashed me.. but others have told the same without knowing what I am wearing!

15 December, 2005

Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella

I either despise leather or don't care for this fragrance. I must say it smells EXACTLY like leather. It is what it claims to be... so perhaps I should not give this a "down" review. It smells like elegant leather, but I am confused as to why someone would WANT to smell like leather. When I bought this, I thought it was going to be more sophisticated than leather.. with a hint of spice, for example. However, I could not get over its scent, nor could eithers around me.

10th December, 2005

Eau de Santal by Floris

Bought this from londons.com. It's outstanding. It's not very unique, but you cannot go wrong with this scent. Everyone loves it around me.. received compliments on this all the time. It's got a bit of incense to it, but also smells slightly like Gucci's Envy (other reviews are right)--but without that "chemical stench.."

10th December, 2005