Reviews by fayeee

fayeee's avatar
    fayeee
    England England

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Oh dear, what can I say about Angel. I was apprehensive about getting this, especially as it was a blind buy but at the price I got it for I couldn't complain. I loved the sound of the sweet, chocolate notes, plus I thought it's reputation would speak for itself.

I'm not adverse to saccharine sweet fragrances, but I didn't find Angel toothache inducing - more HEADACHE inducing. My temples start pounding before the drydown. I know that Angel is regarded as the queen of gourmands but it doesn't make my mouth water at all - what berries, chocolate, caramel, vanilla??? Maybe a bit of chocolate, but after a while all I get is unrelenting stubborn PATCHOULI! I was expecting something a bit more "tasty", and I was disappointed.

I can actually imagine this as a car air freshener, and that's not something a woman should smell of.

Angel is a very unique fragrance, I can't deny it, but it's far too strong and sharp for me and my sensitive migraneous head.

08 April, 2011

Harajuku Lovers Wicked Style - Lil' Angel by Gwen Stefani

This is the first of the Harajuku Lovers line that I've tried, and I'm feeling a little underwhelmed. I can definitely detect the champagne top note, very fizzy, and some plum... from then on, the notes are kinda hard to pick apart, as this fragrance doesn't last long on me at all! I also think this is too expensive for a measly 30ml, but the bottle is VERY cute and I'll probably keep it when the juice runs out!

03 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 December, 2011)

Play-Doh by Demeter Fragrance Library

A fun fragrance just for novelty value, not everyday wear. Quite long lasting; it gave me a bit of a headache after a while. It does capture some of the almond scent of Play-Doh... but I think I actually like the smell of real Play-Doh more!

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

All I smell is apple, melon and cucumber. I don't really get much floral. I don't think it works very well with my body chemistry, as I get a sort of "sweaty" scent after a while; I can't quite explain it. The bottle is cute, but a bit hard to handle in my opinion. Sillage is good though.
    Overall, it's OK, but it doesn't have much depth to it. A bit boring, really.

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

I first stumbled upon L'Air du Temps in shower gel form, and decided to try the fragrance. A really soft, beautiful scent, soapy and comforting. A timeless classic.

Poison by Christian Dior

I bought Poison as a blind buy in my goth days, because I loved it's Hypnotic sister, and heard so much hype about how popular it was in the 80's. When I first sprayed it, I instantly put the bottle away in disgust. I probably checked to see if my nose was still there, and not melted off by this shockingly obnoxious scent!
    A few years later, clearing out my old fragrances, I come across Poison again. I tried to make peace with it. But the words "peace" and "Poison" just don't belong in the same sentence. After one tiny spritz, I could feel a migraine coming on, and scrubbing at my skin didn't help, the heady aroma of tuberose, plums and amber filled the house, and even opening the windows didn't dispel my nausea.
    I'm selling my little 30ml bottle now. I've tried to like Poison, I really have - but we're worlds apart!

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

The first of the poisons I tried, and still my favourite. I bought this some years ago when I was still in my "goth" days, but even now, this is my "go-to", signature scent. More suited to winter, though I have worn it in the summer. Not overpowering at all. I feel wrapped up in almonds and vanilla, very warming and VERY synthetic, but in a good way!

Fever by Lush

A very sexy jasmine fragrance, the name is perfect, I can even hear Peggy Lee's voice in my head every time I wear it.

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

I don't understand why Karma is so popular. It's horrific and headache-inducing. The orange is there at first, but then the patchouli turns up in excess, and then there's something else... another reviewer described it as "laundry detergent" and that's a pretty apt description. Not something I want on my skin.
    I've tried the bubble bar as well and it was just as strong, I had to shower in something else afterwards just so I could scrub it off. Thank god I only have a sample, don't blind buy this!

Paul Smith Rose by Paul Smith

A really beautiful rose scent, very light and perfect for summer. Did not last long on me, but I didn't mind spraying again, for those gorgeous rose and green tea notes!

Ed Hardy Woman by Christian Audigier

I bought this fragrance for two reasons - 1) the amazing looking tattoo-print bottle, and 2) It came with a free gift - a yellow bag with tattoo designs on, very cool. Being somewhat 'alternative' myself, that sort of thing appeals to me.
    But the actual scent is disappointing. It's a super sweet fruit salad, lots of strawberry and vanilla. If I want a candy sweet frag, I'd be more inclined to wear Britney's Fantasy, at least it lasts longer. EH Woman has pretty poor sillage and I can no longer smell it on me after half an hour.
    That said, it's not overly unpleasant, and the bottle is great!