Reviews by djmelvis

djmelvis's avatar
    djmelvis

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Thierry Mugler did well with this one.

One thing to get out of the way immediately is this: I strongly disagree with anyone who think Pure Malt is anything like Pure Havane. I don't smell the similarity it at all.

Havane's top notes definitely hit strong, but it's not the boozy, slight hints of berries of Malt. It's definitely pipe tobacco notes. Personally, I prefer Malt's top notes over Havane.

The mid-notes and dry down is where Havane hits a home run. The tobacco sweetens out a little, which is a good thing. I love the smell of fresh tobacco (it's smoke I generally have a problem with). The cherry notes that kick in after an hour give it a sophisticated, sexy feel. It's a cherry Swisher Sweet minus the "ghetto fabulous" association. Definitely not cloying in the Spring weather so far.

It doesn't project -as- well as Pure Malt, but something as smooth as Pure Havane shouldn't need to reach out to someone like a bullhorn.

Overall, love it.

31st March, 2011 (Last Edited: 18th April, 2011)

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Arguably my favorite scent of in my wardrobe. Sure the top notes make me smell like a cheap drunk (very boozy, woody, slight berry-ish scents)... but after 30 minutes or so, the caramel/chocolaty scent kicks in and that's when the magic happens. Projects nice with only 3-4 sprays and its staying power holds a good 12-16 hours.

It's easily gotten the most compliments of all my scents (in such a short time, no less). Great for winter so far and I'm curious to see how it holds up in the summertime.

19th March, 2011