Reviews by zenpiper

zenpiper's avatar
    zenpiper

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

Very nice - though not terribly long lasting. It's different and good. Others have described the individual notes better than I could do. Still, it is indeed complex and unusual, but not in any way offensive. It's a treat to smell a fine cologne that is unlike anything else.

16 January, 2013

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit by Hermès

One word for this: yummy. I have sampled all of the other Hermes Jardin offerings, and this one stands out as being a lovely whisper of a fragrance. Great scent!

No, it doesn't last terribly well, but that is of little concern to me. I do not like to reek, even if it's a great fragrance.

This makes me wonder why I ever liked Old Spice. OK, joking.

05 January, 2013

Jicky by Guerlain

I don't know what I was expecting, based on some of the reviews here, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a great fragrance and fairly complex. I have worn it for about 3 hours now and there's a warm vanilla aroma coming from the back of my hand (where I test fragrances). I am not fond of vanilla, but I do like this fragrance. It changes so nicely.

Guerlain has had some real winners. I think Monsieur de Mouchoir is the best, and Habit Rouge (which is similar to M d M) is a great every-day fragrance. Jicky runs third.

02 October, 2012

Teck by Molinard

After reading so many positive reviews, I wanted to like this stuff. I do, but it's just awfully austere - almost like vetiver, for which i do not care much. Still it improves throughout the day. But it's nothing I would recommend.

20th March, 2012

Équipage by Hermès

I don't know what to think of this. I bought it on eBay, partially used. It strikes me as a feminine fragrance - quite sweet. i don't get any of the leather notes others talked about. Now I wonder if the seller drained the bottle and refilled it with something else. Anyhow, it's far from a favorite. But it is not unpleasant.

Late hit. After sitting on a high closet shelf for a couple of months I just now tried it again. It's much better, more refined. Wearable now.

I must have my nostrils checked.

19 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 September, 2012)

Ocean by Demeter Fragrance Library

It smells nothing like the ocean. But I like it. It's very pleasant, a tiny bit sweet, and with something in it that is a bit like incense - along the lines of Creed Vintage Tabarome. It does not last very long, but the dry down leaves a lovely and inviting scent. It's my go-to fragrance these days.

13 March, 2011

Toujours Moi by Dana

To my inexperienced sniffer, this is a unisex fragrance, much along the lines of Habanita. It's great for men or women and has that 'draw-you-in' quality of Habanita also. But it's softer and a bit more elegant, with a vague whisper of sweetness. I bought it as a gift for a lady and tried it out of curiosity. It's just awfully good for anybody. I think it just got elbowed out of the way over the years as newer, fresher fragrances entered the scene.

What is interesting to me is that some of the older fragrances, such as this one, Monsieur de Mouchoir, Original Tabarome, Jicky, etc., still have a solid kick and are as appealing today as when they were first launched.

02 June, 2009

Omnia Amethyste by Bulgari

I live on one of the Pacific Islands, and a girl I know visited me for a couple of days. She wore Omnia Amethyste and I thought it was terrific. Because it was light and delicate I thought, at first, I was smelling her shampoo. Then me she showed me her little spray bottle and I took a sniff. If I was a woman I would definitely give this a shot.

I note that some of the other reviewers do not like this fragrance, but - as we know - fragrances smell differently on different people. Skin chemistry I guess. Anyhow my friend created a memorable and lasting impression on me with this delightful creation.

11th April, 2009

Jean-Charles de Castelbajac by Jean-Charles Castelbajac

Fantastic. Elegant, unique and perfect for a formal - or even semi-formal - evening. I have been a long-time fan of 4711 as my everyday aftershave. When I saw Jean-Charles de Castelbajac on eBay, and that it was made by Muehlens, I had to try it. It was a smart move; it's terrific. It's warm, woody, inviting and appealing. Highly recommended.

11th April, 2009

Erolfa by Creed

The BEST Creed I have ever experienced.

Encouraged by others on this Excellent Site, I bought the shower gel on eBay. I liked it. It was not very complex and was suitable for shaving, as well as a shampoo. I was enticed to try the real thing.

I bought a 2006 tester for $50.00 (2.5 oz) and it changed everything. Whatever I knew, or thought I knew, about fragrances, about Creed fragrances, disappeared into this lovely, ever-changing, vapor. It is citrusy, complex, and the millisime aqua note appears, softly glowing underneath. It is intoxicating and fine. It does not shout; it whispers refinement and seductivity.

I had previously favored Neroli Sauvage and MI, but Erolfa, while a bit of a blend of the two, has a 'dirty; note that baffles me. It draws one in again; ever complex and luxuriously fragrant. It changes, often and beautifully.

It does not last long. But I have discovered a way. After shaving, to spray the face generously and rub it in. Then a non-scented moisturizer over that. Then spray again. It will last a while. Maybe 4 hours. I decanted some into a travel spritzer also. You never know.

The women ADORE this fragrance. I have had so many noses in my neck, thanks to Erolfa, than I have lost count. "You smell so good!" they say.

They are right. There is, for me, no better Creed than Erolfa.

11th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2009)

Quorum Silver by Antonio Puig

Funny thing. This is not an exceptional fragrance in my estimation, but it is extremely pleasant and compelling. It seems like a high-end drugstore fragrance, and that's fine. I am not a snob about these things. I have no idea what's in it, but I like it; it is light, aromatic and lasts a long time. It is also slightly unique, but not breath-takingly so. Still, it's a go-to fragrance for those rare days when I am undecided or want something different.

04 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2009)

Jovan White Musk for Men by Jovan

1992 was a good year for fragrances. Jovan White Musk was launched, as was Creed's Erolfa: two very fine creations.

I remember smelling the women's version of JWM and liking it a lot. For some reason I thought the men's version would be similar, but with a bit less sweetness. I was wrong. It's got a *little* musk in it, but other elements which soften and add complexity. It's a lovely scent. My only gripe (and it is small) is that it doesn't last long on me. But it's lovely, and my girl friends all like it. This is not a formal fragrance, though I suppose it could be. It's perfect for a party or a casual date.

01st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2009)

Papa Chéri by Fragonard

I believed the ad copy about it being soft and gentle. Nothing of the sort. It is a bit like Aspen Discovery, a bit on the sharp, aldehyde side. But it is not unpleasant. I am waiting for a better drydown, but so far it's a mediocre scent; one of Fragonard's misses. Other fragrances from Fragonard are far, far more appealing: Santal, Zizanie, Citron and Vetiver.

28 December, 2007

Ferrari Passion by Ferrari

Based on the two other reviews I bought some on eBay for under $2.00 (well, $10.00 to ship). It is just wonderful. I don't know what's in it and I don't care. It's maybe one of the best I ever tried. Oddly it has a touch of the "automotive" and I do like that. Unique and good. It will be a real favorite.

28 December, 2007

Aspen Discovery by Coty

Wanted to like it, and the drydown is pleasant, but there is nothing exceptional here. On the plus side, it's reminiscent of Cathy Carden's "Space" and also Perry Ellis' 360, so the eventual scent is OK, if not great. It just has a cheap, slightly cheesy quality, redeemed by a couple of good notes. Perfect for any NASCAR function.

25 December, 2007

Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge by Jacomo

Not sure if I like this. It reminds me of the feminine fragrance Ciara. I dated a girl who wore Ciara and I was not that fond of her and Jacomo Rouge... well, maybe if I hadn't met her. Maybe the A*Men reference is right, but I get the sandalwood loud & clear. You might like this if you never dated Jean.

10th November, 2007

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Refined and good. I came to Habit Rouge via Monsieur de Mouchoir, a better Guerlain fragrance, but about ten times more costly. There are some similarities, but Habit Rouge has a little kick to it, which I like. This is an elegant fragrance; to be worn with a jacket and tie. Just about perfect for a dinner date or a cocktail party. Just tops.

15 October, 2007

L'Eau du Bonheur by Fragonard

Didn't like it. Way too floral at the top, though the drydown was barely acceptable. Still, not a scent that I would ever wear again. Tried it once; gave it away. That said, women might like this.

14 October, 2007

Habanita by Molinard

I am glad I got a 1 oz. sample on eBay; it's really good. I don't think of this as unisex or feminine one bit. Strikes me as a bit like Knize Ten; dry and austere and compelling. It also changes quite a bit throughout the day and it's always good and interesting. The only slight drawback is that it gets a little tiresome after a long day. Probably best for a night out, but not work.

14 October, 2007

Vetyver by Fragonard

Didn't like the way it began, but then, after about 45 minutes, it settled down into a very comfortable scent. Of the Fragonards, it is not my favorite. The person who said "austere" was correct. It sure is, and it is also dry and fairly warm-smelling. This is a borderline power scent and it is very pleasant (after a while) but I don't think it's for me.

19 July, 2007

Citron by Fragonard

Very pleasant and good, but not the best. It begins with a fresh blast of lemon, as one might expect. Then it disappears, leaving only the barest trace of verbena. The fragrance itself is lovely, but what begins as a lusty shout dies to a barely audible whisper. It reminds me a bit of the fragrance one gets late in summer beach day after all the suntan creme has dissipated: a pleasant residue, but no more.

18 July, 2007

Santal by Fragonard

When I wrote about Aramis Tuscany, I said it was sunny. Santal reminds me of Amamis, but on a cloudy day. Similar notes but softer and more muted. Very appealing and good. I don't get much lemon, but a trace of sandalwood over quite a bit of warm amber. I think Fragonard may be my favorite house for fragrances. Each is unique and extremely fine. Santal may be a fine winter fragrance, but it is summer now and I like it just fine today.

13 July, 2007

Ted Baker Skinwear by Ted Baker

(There's a fifth color: Orange). Ted Baker is bright, slightly kicky and has a great opening presence. After that, I don't know what the heck happens to it, but I don't think I like it. There seems to be some kind of "rubber" note in it, or something reminiscent of vinyl dish washing gloves. But the opening blast is good.

26 May, 2007

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

A really wonderful fragrance. Long ago I was working with a young woman in New York City, and she was pretty blase about everything. One day I wore Cacherel and she gave me a look that I will never forget. I asked her if she liked it and she lowered her eyes and said, "Oh yeah..." I don't know much about notes, but it's a unique scent that can warm a heart or two. It's really good.

03 April, 2007

California for Men by Dana

Dana Recreates Aramis Tuscany and Calls It California! - or almost. This is a delightful, sunny fragrance, very imitative of Tuscany -- almost a drugstore version, but with a slightly sour marine note. Anyhow it's pleasant and good. Fairly long lasting (as are most Dana fragrances) and very reasonable to buy.

I don't think the name is quite right for this, since it doesn't smell like California to me; Mojo by Gendarme smells *exactly* like California. This stuff is more exotic than California. Cozumel? Iquitos? Well no matter, you can make up a name for the admirers.

02 April, 2007

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

I like it, but do not find it strong at all. Maybe the stuff I bought on eBay was watered down. Anyhow it's very light, pleasant and slightly elusive. Elegant without being stuffy. I'm impressed.

14 March, 2007

Palladio by Fragluxe

I am not sure if it's the same stuff that Foetidus is writing about; I have a sample vial that says Palladio/Michaelangelo. Well, no matter, I like it. It reminds me of Gianfranco Ferre pour homme; bright, light, Italian and mostly pleasant. There's an undertone of bug spray but I don't mind. Good for a party on the deck!

12 March, 2007

Wilderness by Tru Fragrance

Different and good. Wilderness is a singular fragrance in a way the Jovan Grass Oil, Creed Cuir de Russie and Bandit for men by Robert Piguet are all unique and not remotely similar to anything else. I wish I knew more about notes and composition, but here's a guess: subdued balsam, leather, very muted citrus. The opening is quite pungent but, after it dries down it becomes soft and really terrific. As with Bandit, I am not certain that ladies will find this scent appealing, but I think it's the fragrance to wear with a leather bomber jacket.

09 March, 2007

Bandit Light pour Homme by Robert Piguet

Pretty amazing stuff. I first heard about it from Martin Chung of Liquid Art on eBay. He said that was his signature fragrance and that is smelled like car tires. Martin was right. It starts off just horribly. But then it dries down into a fairly agreeable leather scent; a bit like Knize Ten, but way, way stronger. Extremely memorable but not for the faint of heart. (Oh, this is not for the "Light" version, but for the Regular Bandit pour homme).

09 March, 2007

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum by Pinaud

This stuff is good, but not as good as the Royall Bay Rhum or the St. John's -- both of which seem very potent and authentic. The Clubman seems like a nice, fairly polished, Bay Rum for landlubbers. Not much kick, and it comes in a plastic bottle. Cheap but inoffensive.

03 March, 2007