Reviews by zenpiper

zenpiper's avatar
    zenpiper

Space for Men by Cathy Carden

Wonderful. I bought a mini on eBay, thinking I was getting a larger size. Well, no matter; this is a terrific fragrance, though I am not astute enough to be able to describe the notes. The opening is fairly intense, and there is a note (fig?) that others may recognize, which is compelling and good. When it dries down there's an intoxicating aquatic/marine note that emerges. Just lovely, lasts quite well. Worth a mini for sure.

01st March, 2007

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

In reading the others' comments I wonder if we're smelling the same stuff. Rive Gauche, to me, is a powdery, sharper (more intense) Canoe, Pinaud Clubman or even Avon Wild Country - since all are in the same ballpark. The woodsy accord sets this one off, and might be considered a tad more formal. Great for a date; inoffensive and luxurious. I just don't get barbershop at all. Jockey Club yes, this stuff no. I do like it.

14th February, 2007

Wild Country by Avon

Comfortable; the kind of scent you could wear often and be content with. The Canoe reference was right; it's also in the direction of Clubman by Ed. Pinaud. Inoffensive, powdery, pleasant.

09th February, 2007

Bitter Orange by Agraria

Orange spice, with maybe some clove in the mix. I disagree with Mario. This is a a lovely, warm, comforting smell. Good for an outing in coolish weather. Not for summer.

29th January, 2007

Balsam by Agraria

Great stuff! Not at all piney, but complex, mysterious and long-lasting. A bit more feminine than masculine.

29th January, 2007

Tova for Men by Tova Borgnine Beverly Hills

I was not fond of the lemon candy opening, but it changed nicely. It's a very nice fragrance, but far, far from the sophistication of Brooks Brothers Lime. Still, I will wear it and like it.

25th January, 2007

Handsome pour Homme by Tova Borgnine Beverly Hills

Hated the opening, but it changed into a soft, fairly velvety vanilla/iodine scent. Reminds me of Lalique. In fact, they are (to my rather inexperienced nose) almost identical. Not fond of either, even though they are well done.

25th January, 2007

Musgo Real by Claus & Schweder

Wonderful. Musgo Real has a slightly powdery quality which is really good. This is a fine, no-nonsense, good-smelling fragrance. This, along with Caswell-Massey Number 6, may be the one to splash on when faced with indecision.

20th January, 2007

Old Spice Fresh Scent by Procter & Gamble

Good thing this has been retired. Smelled just like Desenex foot powder, but not quite as pleasant.

15th January, 2007

Michelson Bay Rum by Caswell-Massey

Smells nice, but lasts six minutes and twenty-two seconds. I timed it. The Royall Bay Rhum is far, far the best of the Bay Rums.

13th January, 2007

Navy for Men by Dana

It took me some time in my formation to understand that the first spray does not a fragrance make: what it turns into, with body chemistry added, is the final test. This stuff reeks.

10th January, 2007

Royall Bay Rhum by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

A fine, sturdy and well-balanced fragrance. The Royall perfumers know how to make great stuff (except for the Mandarin which, to me, reeks). But the Bay Rhum, the Lyme and the Spice are unique and finely-crafted. You just can't miss.

30th December, 2006

Halston 1-12 by Halston

The opening reminds me a little of Eau d'Hermes with its mix of chypre and citrus; then it gets darker and more complex and better than the Hermes. And yet, I am not smitten with either one. Neither seems quite finished. It is as thought the perfumer got each to a point and then just stopped. Z-14 is less mysterious but more complete. That said, 1-12 would probably be fine for afternoon gatherings or a day at the races. It's inoffensive and pleasant.

20th December, 2006

Bois du Portugal by Creed

One of Creed's best for formal wear and important meetings during cool weather. Its very powerful, classy, refined and solid as a rock. This is about as good as it gets. Scent-wise, it's the equivalent of having a loaded revolver in your desk; reserved for special occasions.

07th December, 2006

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I like this stuff. It is dark and mysterious and compelling and good. It draws me in again and again with its complexity. That said, this is not "me" any more than is driving around in a Ferrari. A Men is something I can appreciate and admire but I just can't get comfortable with it: what am I trying to prove? If I want power that is closer to "me" I'll go for either Boucheron or Creed Tabarome.

05th December, 2006

Fracas for Men by Robert Piguet

Lately, this has been my default fragrance; the stuff I wear when I can't decide on anything else. It's just awfully good, unique and almost nobody else wears it (nor Bandit for men, also by R. Piquet). I disagree with those who consider it soapy; this is very clean, fresh, a a bit mysterious because it draws one in repeatedly. There is just nothing like it: unique and outstanding.

01st December, 2006 (Last Edited: 25th January, 2007)

Bleu Marine by Pierre Cardin

I like this stuff! Ordered some Knize Ten and a little vile of Bleu Marine was in the box. (I love samples). Yes, it's sweet and common but so what? If you wear this, you will definitely get comments from women. Reminds me of Halston Z-14. True, Bleu Marine is not (to me) aquatic in any way, but it's pleasant and fresh and good. Lasts well.

25th September, 2006 (Last Edited: 26th February, 2011)

American Crew Classic Fragrance by American Crew

Horrid. Not a spec of refinement, fun, mystery or anything appealing. Subtle as a sledgehammer.

25th September, 2006

Musk for Men by Coty

Nice, inoffensive fragrance, highly reminiscent of Pinaud Clubman. Perfect for a casual day, but easy to over-apply. Go easy, since it lasts forever.

23rd September, 2006

Knize Ten by Knize

Starts off smelling a bit like powdery Dunlop tires in a nice leather bag. Then it softens into smelling like the leather bag with the tires removed but a little of the powder left: slightly musky powder. I like this stuff. Not for an evening of romance At All, but great for the club or a day in a tweed blazer. Creed Cuir de Russie is still my favorite leather fragrance but Knize is singular and powerful.

22nd September, 2006

Aqua Velva Frost Lime by Williams

Found this while trying to locate Aqua Lime Florestan, and was a little surprised to see it. Frost Lime is one I wore in high school, college and while working at the garden store. It's very pleasant, lasts fairly well, and has some kind of slightly muddy quality in the lime. That is, the lime is not distinct, the way it is in Royall Lyme or even in Caswell-Massey's Lemony Lime. This is a softer, muted variation, maybe because it has been mixed with Aqua Velva? Anyhow it's a fine casual scent for wearing at bowling alleys, gas stations, NASCAR functions and if you happen to work in a garden store.

19th September, 2006

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

Not my favorite. A bit too sharp. I had hoped, as I wore it, it would settle down into something better, but so far - 2 hours later - it's still annoying. Seems to me it could use a citrus note, or more musk--or something--to lift it out of the ordinary.

18th September, 2006

Desire Blue by Dunhill

Desire Blue has a bright fresh opening and then fades into a sweet alcohol-rub kind of thing. Perfect for NFL linebackers or anyone else with a single eyebrow.

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Fun to read the other reviews. YSL was something I wore in the '70s but wasn't crazy about. And - as with some of the others on Basenotes - found Eau Sauvage more to my liking. Now I don't care for Eau Sauvage at all, and may revisit YSL. I think it was first discovering Hermes eau d'Orange Verte (which, when first launched, was called, simply, Hermes) that gave my nose a real lesson in fresh citrus.

But, back to YSL, it always smelled like fine lemon soap to me - but then my nose was young and foolish, so I might like it better now.

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

My cousin brought me a mini from Paris and I just put some on now. I don't like it. Sharp and sour. It improves in the drydown, however. It will ultimately disappear and I will like that best of all.

Deep Forest by Bogner

Fine fragrance though all but impossible to find now. Even when it was available it was impossible to find, but worth the hunt. Clean, powdery, slightly floral - warm notes. I don't get much in the way of pine, but it's a comforting long-lasting fragrance. (It is slightly similar to Herbissimo Marjoram, which is quite inexpensive and pretty good).

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

If this is a classic, then I had better get my nose fixed. There is no complexity here. As one reviewer noted, it's missing something - maybe a smoky incense note, or whatever's in Creed's Vintage Tabarome. That said, it's OK to wear to a football game; it's not unpleasant. I get the feeling that the perfumer got this fragrance to a point and said, "Time for lunch!"

12th September, 2006

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Great stuff! I was completely unaware of this nice fragrance until today when I was in Lord & Taylor looking over their trayfull of goodies. Most of them were known to me, but Boucheron was not. Sprayed it on a card - very nice. Sprayed some on myself and spent the rest of the day sniffing the back of my hand. It's really terrific, and (surprisingly) leave Chanel Pour Homme in the dust. It's elegant and friendly, a very unique combination. Not sure if it would bump Mouchoir de Monsieur for sheer class, but it is really something.

09th August, 2006

Royal Blue by Brooksfield

Royal Blue is a lovely, light, slightly sweet/powdery cologne with a mysterious undercurrent that draws one in. There is a sharpness and a subtlety I find very appealing; as though the perfumer started with Canoe and then made it darker and spicier. It lasts well too. This is not a formal fragrance, but well suited to a casual outing or maybe a movie date.

31st July, 2006

Royall Mandarin by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Of the Royall Scents I have experienced (Lyme, Rhum, Spice) the Mandarin is the worst. It is a terrible fragrance. Cheap, stinky. The others are lovely. Not this. Steer clear.

27th July, 2006