Reviews by zenpiper

zenpiper's avatar
    zenpiper

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

Elegance, class and wonderfully inviting. About as good as the perfumer's art ever attained. Not sure what's in it but wow. The best.

I disagree with those who compare it to Jicky, which has a strong vanilla note. Mouchoir is in a class by itself, similar in its refinement to Creed's Cuir du Russie.

They are exhalted fragrances, but not for a college guy for a night out. (Try Canoe). This is for someone who is mature, stable and singular.

Astonishingly good.

25 June, 2006 (Last Edited: 07 May, 2013)

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Here is what I think happened: Hermes had a few vats of Mediterranean Garden and Nile Garden left over and mixed them together. The first blast is the cedar/fig stuff and then it softens into the (what is it? Tuberose?) of the Nile. But, in the mix, something good happened: Hermes Terre is far superior to either of the Jardins. It is more subtle, complex and more appealing. This is a lovely, rich, casual scent. Just great.

08 June, 2006

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

I like this stuff. I like the opening better than the dry scent, which reminds me a bit of Bois du Portugal, but slightly lighter. The opening is a real blast!

30th March, 2006

Lime by Caswell-Massey

This is about Caswell-Massey's "Lemony Lime" since there was no category for it. The Lemony-Lime starts off with a blast, similar to Royall Lime - fresh citrus with a whiff of hard candy flavor. But that quickly dries off and what is left is a very charming, subtle fragrance. As with many of C-M's fragrances, this is barely a whisper on the skin, but it's great. Also, there are the subtler, warmer notes of C-M's Number 6 in the bottom register and the provide good balance to this nice warm-weather scent.

17 March, 2006

Signoricci 2 by Nina Ricci

This is really amazingly good, and unlike the Signoricci I have. There is a warmth and complexity here that just draws one in and I get something different each time, always terrific. It has a raffish formality; playful and yet refined. Oh boy!

13 March, 2006

Havana by Aramis

This is a great fragrance, though the opening reminds me of Herrera (of which I am not fond). But then it becomes a wonderful, elegant experience. To me, this is a formal or semi-formal fragrance, or maybe for the office or an important meeting. Not to wear to the grocery store. Oh wait. Anyhow, it's one of the best I ever experienced. The noses at Lauder (who also make Aramis and Tuscany) have some savvy and sense. Too bad this is discontinued, but, as we know, that happens all too frequently with things we cherish.

11th March, 2006

St Johns Bay Rum by West Indies Bay Company

Tops. I think I was in college when my parents gave me a bottle of this and it was a real thrill. Still is. I don't know if this is the "original" Bay Rum but there is none better. I am out of stock at the moment and have some Caswell-Massey St. Thomas Bay Rum, which not as punchy, pungent and rip-roaring as the St. John's blend. I tell you, lads, that St. John's stuff will make you want to put a sabre between your teeth and climb the rigging. Oh arr!

Yardley Original by Yardley

I see that the launch date is 1992 for Yardley Original. Hm. I had a bottle of "Yardley" in the 1960s and it was among my first "real" colognes. It was spicy amber with a bit of sharpness to it that softened sweetly after 10 minutes. Not long after that I received a bottle of Yardley "Black Label" and that was a whole new world; much more complex and refined. But I am a loyal sort and the Original Yardley remained in front on the dresser. It was (and may still be) a wonderful masculine fragrance without being overpowering or cloying. Very fine; top marks.

Skin Bracer by Mennen

If you're heading into farm country, or where there are trucker drivers with stained teeth, you'll blend right in wearing this stuff. Not for the faint of heart, and yet, it's a top drugstore seller.

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Awful. I don't know which R.L. fragrance is the more horrid, Polo Sport or Chaps. I think these fragrances were created by a temp.

Nine Flags: Ireland - Green Moss by Colton

As a young man I was given the whole set and used most of them. They provided a fine introduction to the world of fragrance and were (in memory now) very well made. I recall the Irish scent, green in color (what else?). It was light, slightly sweet and distinguised, a bit like the old Caswell-Massey Greenbriar. It did not last long; none of them did. The bottles were lovely little spheres.

Mojo by Austin Powers by Gendarme

Addendum: This stuff calls me back again and again; it has become a real favorite. Took some getting used to, but it makes me feel very happy to wear this. It lasts well, with a lovely glowing sweet scent.

10th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2006)

Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud

This is fresh lilacs in a bottle and extremely well done. There is no complexity nor subtlety: it's simply lilac water. It is bracing, refreshing and invigorating. Extremely good on a hot day. However, this is not a fragrance to wear out. This is for you to splash on after a shower, or swimming, and to enjoy for the 30 minutes or so that it lasts. Highly under-rated in my opinion.

Leather by Demeter Fragrance Library

Maybe the worst fragrance (leather or otherwise) I have ever experienced. After the thrill of Creed's Cuir de Russie, the knock-you-sideways Knize Ten, and Creed Vintage Tabarome - this stuff is a bottled nightmare. Demeter makes some wonderful stuff, but not this.

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

The first time I smelled Jovan Musk I thought it was great. That was back in the Disco '70s when I was young and didn't know beans. (I now know some beans). I think young guys (and some women) would just love this; but it is nothing I would wear these days unless I want to make my friends wonder what the hell happened to me.

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

There is something about this I don't like, maybe the sharpness. That said, there is something about this I do like - probably the softer notes. Oddly, I bought a knock-off spray cologne of this stuff in a Dollar store that I much, much preferred. I bought the real thing, hoping it would be as good as the knock-off. The knockoff was softer, sweeter and more accessible. The formality of the real Ferrera, along with its sharpness, just doesn't work for me.

Hai Karate by Leeming

O the horror, the horror!

Greenbriar by Caswell-Massey

The old Greenbriar was a light delight: bracing, crisp and refined (but not formal). My girl-friend like it also and used it nearly as much as me. Sorry to hear it has changed. The old version was early cool Spring in a bottle.

English Leather by Dana

It's a fine scent, fairly unique too. I wore it often to high school dances and parties and I am darn tired of it now. Still, for an inexpensive fragrance, it's better than most.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Someone gave me a bottle of this stuff for Christmas and I wore it to be polite. There is nothing particularly good or memorable about it, but it's not terrible either. Strikingly so-so.

Chaps (original) by Ralph Lauren

Boy, does this stuff smell cheap. And yet some women like it? Go figure. I can't stand it, and agree with the reviewer who expressed surprise that Mr. Lauren would market such a nasty little scent.

Brut by Fabergé

Odd thing. I worked in broadcast TV for many years and had an opportunity to work with many celebs, including sports celebs. Brut is the stuff they used. Smelled fine. A little cheap, a little tawdry, but not horrible. What is odd is that these guys could afford the entire line of Creed in 8oz size, and yet selected Brut. I don't mind it, frankly, but anything more than a drop is overkill.

10th March, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2007)

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

Wonderful. I got a huge bottle of splash for everyday after-shave use and it's terrific. What I like about it is that it *doesn't* last terribly long, so by the time I am dressed I can put on something a little more interesting and long-lasting. I really need to try the edt, but the splash is just delightful. It is sharp, crisp and not overwhelmed with lavender - there is just enough. There's also a "sec" quality to this that I especially like. As I said, this stuff is wonderful.

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Long ago I got a bottle of Kiehl's "Supurb" Musk Oil and supurb it was. It was a heavy liquid with a dipper and the fragrance was light and astonishing. Thinking this might be the same, I bought some samples of Kiehl's Original Musk Oil and what a disappointment. It's dirty all right.

Geir by Geir Ness

Some newer fragrances take a little getting used to, but not so with Geir. It is immediately accessible and good-smelling. I only have a small sample, but it's definately on my "must get" list. Bravo to the Norwegians who made this: it terrific.

Glacier by Jovan

Extremely pleasant but not inspired. I used this stuff during college when 4 oz. of after shave could be had for under ten dollars. There is no sophistication here; just a light, slightly warm, scent that lasts well.

Preferred Stock by Coty

Preferred Stock is just not for me, and I don't mind inexpensive fragrances. There is no personality here, just a mix of notes, with one note being noticeably sharp. It's not terrible, but I don't plan on wearing it again, ever.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I go back and forth with Polo green. I like the scent fine, but then...? I will tell you this, though: women adore it on me. That's another thing: stuff I particularly like to smell, women are so-so about. But with Polo (and with "Bitter Orange" by Agraria) I find a nose in my neck with delightfuly regularity.

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

I always liked this fragrance, though it is easy to over-apply. (Long ago, this was available in something called a "sounding" cologne: it was foam that crackled when you touched it.) Great scent, but not for every day. It is one of the few fragrances that is completely unique (well, to me) and also reasonably priced. Good for a day at the races.

Number Six by Caswell-Massey

Wonderful stuff; elegant without being snooty. It's a most comfortable fragrance that suggests gracious living. Perfect for semi-formal country outings or cocktails on the fantail. Caswell-Massey's best.