Reviews by zenpiper

zenpiper's avatar
    zenpiper

Herbissimo Mejorana by Dana

Lovely, soft, floral, woody whisper. Reminds me of Bogner's Deep Forest. I always get wonderful comments with this. Last well too.

Herbissimo Juniper by Dana

The juniper in Herbissimo reminds me of Acqua de Selva, though with other scents in play. (Sorry, I am not savvy enough to know what the notes are). It is pleasant, sharp, lively and (to me) Italian. This is the stuff for a casual first date, hands down.

Helmut Lang Men by Helmut Lang

Nice stuff: subtle, warm and unique. So unique that, on me, it smells like a Manhattan. I like that.

Gianfranco Ferré for Man by Gianfranco Ferré

Truly wonderful, though it took some getting used to. The opening notes are brilliant and astonishing but then they retreat and are gone. What is left is quite unlike the opening; soft and inviting. It's a bit like an Italian woman who slaps your face but then grabs your tie to draw you in close. Well wow.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Did you ever hear a song for the first time and love it, but then, by the 10th hearing, you're just sick of it? That is Eau Sauvage for me. Liked it very much long ago; now I just can't tolerate it.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Where I live, Aqua Velva and Old Spice are de rigeur, so Acqua di Gio is not well known. That said, I don't like it. There's a sour grass note in the mix that one can easily achieve by spending a few hours in a silo.

John Weitz by John Weitz

I loved this while I had it. It was unusual, sweet with a little sharpness; warm and inviting. I wish I could find more of this. Very unusual and good.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

In a phone conversation with the late great Martin Chung of "Liquid Art" he said that Z-14 was not especially worthy; it was heavy with aldehydes. Martin was probably right, but I do like it. There is something about this fragrance that reminds me of Christmas. Maybe because I got some at Christmas one year, but Z makes me happy and comfortable--provided I just put on a little Sorry Martin!

Devin by Aramis

I knew a chemist at Estee Lauder, the company that makes the Aramis brand, including Tuscany and Devin. She told me--in some detail--at the lengths they go to achieve a great fragrance. I don't know if Lauder is a "house" but I love their fragrances: each is unique and good. Long before I discovered the summery warmth of Tuscany, Devin was the one I reached for if I was undecided. It was just extremely pleasant and comfortable, with more than a touch of understated class. This is what Halston Z-14 aspired to be, but didn't quite have the pedigree.

Bayrhum Vetiver by Creed

Not the best. I got a free sample vile (sp!) and tried it. Yuck. Smells like pickels, or something like dill. Oliver should pull this one off the shelves pronto.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

I note that other reviewers use the word "happy" to describe how they feel when using 4711, and I agree. It's extremely inexpensive--especially compared to Guerlain Imperiale--and is the sort of fragrance one can splash on liberally after a shave. True, it doesn't last long, but the first splash is a sparkling delight. A true classic; I wouldn't be without it, ever.

10th February, 2006

Signoricci by Nina Ricci

Strikes me as a mix of Chanel Pour Monsieur and Acqua di Selva. Yes, it's lovely, elegant and very Italian. Perfect for special occasions, but it is not something I would wear often.

09 February, 2006

Brooks Brothers for Men by Brooks Brothers

Brooks has had a few fragrances over the years. The best, and one of my all-time favorites, was "346" the number of their street address on Madison Avenue, New York. Sadly, "346" is no more. I have a bottle of "Brooks Brothers" with the slightly tapered bottle and the Golden Fleece logo on the front. It's a good bold spicy cologne. Very old school, old tie, old rowing blue, cotillions and cummerbunds. The sort of thing J. Walter would keep in his desk in the event Miss Perkins stopped by to review her portfolio. I like Brooks Brothers quite a bit for the 3 times a year I dab it on. Worth collecting, maybe even wearing.

09 February, 2006

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

A new old favorite. I was given some of this while I was in college and (as with many things) failed to appreciate its complexity and subtlety. Now I think it's one of the best fragrances ever. I know little about notes or specifics, but I do know that a great fragrance will draw one in again and again, and that is what Chanel Pour Monsieur does. And yet it is accessible and comfortable to wear. And, for me, it lasts just fine.

03 February, 2006

Himalaya by Creed

At first I didn't care for it, but now I think it's great. It just sparkles. I don't know beans about notes or drydown or sillage (what the heck IS sillage?) but I do like this scent - now. Ebay has decants at low prices, so if you're curious about Himalaya, that's the place to go.

02 February, 2006

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

Jardin (not Jardine), to me, is like being clubbed in the nostrils. Mind you, I don't mind the scent, but it's way overpowering. Applied in the slightest of mists it can be very nice, esp layered with Tuscany which has a similar brightness. I don't get feminine at all with this scent. I get woods and figs and some florals, but in extreme over-abundance. My 3.4 oz will last me 40 years I bet.

Timberline by Dana

It's a really lovely, clean, floral/woodsy fragrance. The original, made by English Leather, had its name as "Timber Line" (two words). When Dana took it over the name changed and, I am told, the scent. The original was very fine but extremely strong. Lightly misted, the original "Timber Line" is a delight. But too much, and it becomes overbearing. It's one of my Top 10.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I once had the priviledge of meeting a billionaire, a modest man, quiet and soft spoken. He wore Old Spice, and this impressed me. It also made me happy because this is the cologne my dad wore on rare occasions; and the first scent I ever had on my face at the age of 8. It got me started. It's an old friend, this Old Spice.

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

I agree with the others about its too-short life, but the scent is great. I believe it was created for the Emperor Napoleon, though I don't know if it was I or III. It's about as good as a fragrance gets, though it's a little bit like the dry citrus of Roger & Gallet extra vielle. A pity that it goes away so soon. Vive L'Empereur.

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

This fragrance has been around far longer than 1979. I remember it in the 60s, when it was simply "Hermes." It was the first really good fragrance I ever smelled and my affection for it remains undiminished. True, it fades quickly, but, for this, I don't mind. It's a rush while it lasts.

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

So it's cumin, eh? Who woulda thunk a spice for chili would end up in an Hermes bottle? I don't know what I think of this fragrance. I like the way it starts off, but then something happens and it's not altogether pleasant. Either that or I am just not sophisticated. I am staying neutral on this, with a slight down-turn, because--whatever this stuff is--it doesn't last very long.

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

One of my favorites. Sunny, warm and very pleasant. I find the aftershave to be a little more suitable for general wearing than tha cologne, which has deeper notes. This can be layered (if one is careful) with a tiny whiff of Hermes Jardin de Mediterranean first; then the Tuscany. Yowza!

22 January, 2006

Musk by Dana

Surprizingly good, though it starts off way too sweet, and I think there is some Tuberose in the mix. However, after an hour it becomes something quite fine, provided one doesn't over-do it. Recommended for that 1960's blast.

Cuir de Russie by Creed

Perhaps the most singular of the Creed scents: unlike any of the others. True it doesn't last very long, but it's just wonderful. To say it smells like a brand new saddle is pointing in the right direction but there is so much else going on, that I am really at a loss for words with this.

Night Spice by Shulton

Recently found Night Spice on eBay and was very pleasantly surprised. The initial notes were very much Old Spice, but then they softened into a woody floral, a bit reminiscent of Bogner's Deep Forest. This is a very fine fragrance that draws one in with a whisper. I suspect women will love it also.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

I like this one quite a bit. I bought a decant and wish I had more now. Of the newer Creeds, this is the easiest for me to wear and like. It lasts quite a long time, but not all day. It's got a bracing quality that I like also.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Yes, it's nice, with the characteristic sharp opening notes; but after that it fades to a barely imperceptable scent. I need to try it some more, or apply it more heavily.

Lime Sec by Pinaud

Of all the Pinaud fragrances, this one is my least favorite. It takes its lime fragrance from hard candy and not from anything off a tree. It's just cloying and awful. Oddly, the lemon fragrance (no longer available) Naturelle Sec, was terrific. Lime Sec (not sec at all, but sick) also is featured in Citrus Musk, which is slightly less awful. Too bad; Pinaud has made some great workaday fragrances, but also some clunkers, such as Lime Sec.

Fleur de France by Pinaud

I don't know what the heck the stuff is. I bought it because I was collecting the soon-to-be-discontinued Pinaud long-neck bottles. I bought Fleur de France for $4.99 for 12 oz. It's not a bad scent, but I have no idea what it is. It's kind of a mish-mash of sweetness, but not clearly defined. If you're putting on a clown suit for a kid's party, this is the stuff to wear.

Crown Imperial by Crown Perfumery

Love the opening citrus notes--very refined and elegant. Then it turns into a kind of soapy thing. Not sure if this bottle is old or stale or if the British gents of 1905 really smelled like this. It's not my favorite but I do wear it once in a while.

20th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2006)