Reviews by zenpiper

zenpiper's avatar
    zenpiper

Aqua Velva Ice Blue by Williams

I like Aqua Velva and always have. It's light, clean and inoffensive. It is a bit too much at first application but that goes away; and what is left is a pleasant, comfortable scent. Great as an after shave when you have to go paint the boat.

20th January, 2006

Royall Spice by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

This is a fine fragrance, provided one doesn't apply too much. Needs to be misted very lightly; then it's terrific. Lovely quality to it.

27 December, 2005

Grass Oil for Men by Jovan

Funny thing. I got a bottle of this in 1977 and didn't much care for it: a bit too odd. But I didn't part with it either. Now I do like it. It's unusual and something I would not wear often, but I have warmed to it quite a bit. Lasts well.

27 December, 2005

Jockey Club by Caswell-Massey

I like it. It is a light, airy fragrance that doesn't last long, but still has a comfortable, inviting quality. It might be borderline barbershop, but I think my barber used to slap my ears with Jeris or something equally awful.

13 November, 2005

Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet

I was given a bottle of this when I was still in high school and it was my introduction to something better than Aqua Velva and English Leather. I liked the clean, dry lemon fragrance. It smelled "elegant" to me. It no longer has the same cachet, but I do like it.

13 November, 2005

Aramis by Aramis

It's unique, strong and I like it. That said, I don't wear it often. It's a formal scent, or one that goes with a jacket and tie, or for a business function. Of the Lauder offerings, Tuscany has my heart, but Aramis is first rate (for mature audiences).

13 November, 2005 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2006)

Turpentine by Demeter Fragrance Library

Love it. It's really more like fresh pine, or a Christmas tree, not really like turps. It's brisk, bracing and good. Only trouble is that it fades almost immediately. Too bad, but great while it lasts.

10th November, 2005

Heno de Pravia by Gal

An update to my previous posting. Yes, it still burns, but I have become enchanted with this scent. It has a slight baby-powder/clean soap quality but there's something else that is just lovely. This is far, far from power. This is humility and sweetness. I never smelled anything like it. It makes me smile.

18 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 13 November, 2005)

Zizanie by Fragonard

I found this fragrance 20 years ago, while in college, and it inspired me. My girlfriend said it was "yummy" and she was right. It's elegantly casual, or maybe casually elegant: very pleasant either way. However, the more recent formulations (without "de Fragonard" on the bottle) are a poor send-up of the lovely original. Note: the photo on this page is of the newer, badly formulated, Zizanie. Save your $ for the real "de Fragonard."

16 October, 2005 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2011)

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Citrico by Comme des Garçons

Man I wish I could find this stuff in the U.S. It's a clean, dry citrus fragrance. I bought a 1/3 oz decant and wasn't that impressed. Then when the decant got 1/2-way down I topped it off with 4711. Well, the resulting mix was a dry lemon sorbet: maybe the most wonderful citrus fragrance I ever, ever experienced.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

Oh I do like this. My first impression was of a fairly rare incense, Gulnaz. Well, it might have leather notes, but I get a dry, warm, smoky incense.

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

This has been my standby fragrance for decades, especially for cooler weather. Can't say enough about it: it's perfect for me.

Naturelle Sec by Pinaud

A favorite, one that is sadly missed. It was not inspired or special in any way, but it was an excellent use-every-day after shave, a bit like Guerlain Imperiale or Roger & Gallet Extra Veille: dry citrus, clean, and modest.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Couldn't wait to try it. Couldn't wait to wash it off. Way, way too sharp for me. Almost needle-like in it's attack.

Clubman by Pinaud

I agree with Mark that Clubman is similar to Canoe; though heavier and stronger. Lovely fragrance, but it is extremely strong. Mist the air and walk into it. Nice powdery finish, provided you don't put on too much. Then it's cloying and awful.

Citrus Musk by Pinaud

This is the first truly schizophrenic fragrance I have ever encountered. Musk and citrus, and they keep each other at arm's length. It's as though there are two fragrances at work, never quite collaborating. Pinaud Lime Sec is the base (inspired by lime flavored hard candy). I think who ever made this fragrance had a bus to catch.

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

Not for me; way too harsh, blaring. And I'll bet it keeps the mosquitos away too.