Reviews by Mr-Scratch-N-Sniff

Mr-Scratch-N-Sniff's avatar
    Mr-Scratch-N-Sniff

Cool Water by Davidoff

I think the name is misleading. I was expecting a aquatic fragrance but what I got was a dry floral scent. The longevity is not good for me at all. At least 4 sprays and I couldnt smell it after 2 hours. The projection was pretty good during those 2 hours at least. I get a ton of lavender in the top notes. I just cant get over the overload of the lavender that reminds me of my laundry detergent.

02nd June, 2011

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

The mandarin opening quickly gives way to a spicy, salt water, and woodsy scent. Longevity and projection are quite good in the heat at around 5-7 hours. It is subtle but not too subtle and can certainly be detected. I prefer a little more of a refreshing scent for summer but for spring or fall I could see this being great. I can see where many people would be turned off by the saltiness but it blends well with the other notes.

Essential by Lacoste

A good blend of green and citrus. A great summer fragrance. It says the top notes quickly disappear and then reappear with "Time Released Technology" It doesnt have the greatest longevity or projection but its not horrible. The tomato in it can definitely be detected and overpower some of the other notes. Ends with a little woodier vibe. All in all, I enjoy it quite a bit.

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

As compared to the original the saltiness is toned down about 90%. Instead of salt there is fruit. Kind of a melon grapefruit mix. It is really fresh and light. Projection and longevity are average. It lasts about 3-5 hours for me. Very linear but the basenotes include a bit of wood. I have only been to a beach once but I cant help but picture myself at a beach relaxing every time I smell this.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

I got to start off by saying that I havent worn this without receiving at least 1 compliment yet. I would describe it as a powdery floral green scent. You just feel so fresh and clean while wearing this. If Mr. Clean had a signature scent this would be it. It says it has citrus top notes but I dont detect them at all. The notes I detect are the grass, gardenia, and the musk. Projection and longevity are top notch but not cloying at all. I just dont like this smell very much at all.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Unlike most I have no bias against the fact a lot of other people wear this. Disliking a fragrance for that reason is simply stupid. This is a masculine citrus/aquatic.​ Fantastic projection and longevity without being too overpowering. Perfect for summer wear. I bought me a bottle within a week of sampling.

Chrome by Azzaro

Classy, elegant, sophisticated; Certaily not.... But it is unique, versatile, and inexpensive. Inoffensive and easily a compliment getter. Above average projection and longevity. I just dont find it very complex or exciting.

08th May, 2011

Pi by Givenchy

It starts of with some kind of medicinal scent which led me to believe I was going to hate this one with a passion. I am biased due to the fact I love sweet scents (Rochas Man =) But approx 45 min after applying it started to warm up to me into a nice vanilla caramel scent. Can certainly become easily cloying if oversprayed. I do not agree with the linear description most give it. A good one for fall/winter use. Longetivty 6-7 hrs & projection a good 5 hours. Good but just not great.

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

I get a lot of lime right off the back with maybe a bit of grapefruit too. Very fresh and blends well with the woods with a hint of tea. It is a unisex fragrance but definitely not one I could see my girlfriend wearing. It projects pretty good while it lasts which is not very long. Longevity for me is 3-4 hours, which is very unfortunate. I prefer this to Terre D'Hermes by a good margin. Price is a little high at approx $75 but I love it so much I'll probably get it and carry an atomizer of it around to make up for the lack of longevity.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Starts of with a little citrus then quickly turns into a tonka (baby powder) scent. I did see a study that said baby powder was one of the smells women respond to the most so maybe they were goin for that. Powdery scents arent always a turnoff for me as I love Le Male but this does not smell anything like the powdery vanilla scent of Le Male. Longevity is average at about 4-5 hours and it projects decently too. Certainly overpriced for the quality IMO. Just not my cup of tea.

Rochas Man by Rochas

I love this sweet sugary scent. It is subtle and it doesnt seem to offend anyone at my work as some oriental/spicy fragrances do. My girlfriend definitely agreed this is one of her favorites but she always leans toward the chrome and younger smelling scents. The mocha vanilla drydown is awesome. My review may be a little biased since I love gourmand fragrances but IMO this is a must buy for me.

22nd April, 2011

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This fragrance starts out with a very sour lemon citrus vibe. It does drydown to become less sour and more floral and perhaps a bit of a woodsy scent. I go back and forth on this one; sometimes I like it and sometimes I dont. Positive notes are that it does last a long time, project decently, and is unique. Im gonna go with a thumbs up on this one because I think this will be one I will buy to use occasionally during the summer.

14th April, 2011 (Last Edited: 22nd April, 2011)

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

It starts out with a very earthy ORANGE scent. Smells very sophisticated. You also get a hit of the pepper which makes it spicy. Certainly projects well in the beginning Definitely 3 sprays MAX for me. Maybe just 1 neck and 2 on wrists as 2 on the neck for me was overpowering. The drydown turns into a less citrusy scent and more of the earthy smell. A truly fantastic fragrance that would be on the top of my list for any event in my life I need to smell mature and classy. Last approx 6 - 8 hours on me.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Right off the back you do get hit with the commonly perceived powdery smell mixed in with a dose of mint. 2 sprays does the trick but 3 would get you noticed by everyone around you. The dry down will definitely give you a soapy fresh vanilla smell. I just loved the fact that I could continuously catch a whiff of this every 5 min or so. While you either love it or hate it I couldnt help myself in jumping on the bandwagon of le male lovers. I smelled it once and bought it the same day.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

My first fragrance that I used for a couple of years before I started to really understand how enjoyable fragrances can be. I used it exclusively for a few years in my late teens. It received regular compliments from men and women. It does have a slight problem with longevity as I only smell it on me for a couple hours before it becomes unnoticeable. It starts out citrusy to me and then smooths out into an amber, woody smell. For the price it is hard to beat.