Reviews by Fleurine

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Maybe my favorite tuberose and my favorite orange blossom. A wondrous creation in the classic French style. Heaven on earth.

17th September, 2011

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

A very very nice fragrance. To me this is a musky aroma-chemical laden very nice fragrance. It could really be the "universal flanker" because it trots out quite a few familiar scents...most obviously Narciso Rodriguez for Her, and Musc for Her, but sweeter. The feel is so different and airier than the grande dame Mme. Shalimar. This pink juice would have a very hard time offending anyone, or making a very distinct impression either. But very nice.

09th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2011)

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

This is a wonderful scent that I blind bought on EBay, based on the reviews here. This is a warm, dry, spicy incense scent in the family of Keiko Mecheri Olibanum, and Josef Statkus EDP.

04th September, 2011

APOM pour Femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Ok, mine arrived today, and it is a very feminine fragrance. I can see it being sexy, in a daytime or nighttime way. The orange blossom note is similarly sharp to the note in NR for Her EdT, but on a dry cedar base. Also, does this fragrance seem both honeyed and dry at the same time to anyone else? I find it fitting that this was Lebanese inspired, because it feels both European/Mediterranean as well as a bit middle eastern. APOM is more complex than the note pyramid might lead you to believe, IMO.

25th August, 2011

Asrar Attar by Amouage

Asrar attar by Amouage has notes of rose, saffron, orange blossom, musk and amber and is the most rare and magnificent fragrance in my collection. It shares a little something with APOM by MFK, but with several additional notes. Everything anyone could want in a feminine attar. If you come across it, have a sniff if you can! Two thumbs up!

25th August, 2011

Messe de Minuit by Etro

I have been told that there have been several reformulations of this wonderful scent, with each successive one being brighter and less crypty. I am reviewing the one that comes in a purple paisley and white box. Messe de Minuit opens with bergamot and lemon sparkling top notes and within an hour settles into a nice long lasting straight forward church incense with a bit of warm spice. Very comfortable and wearable. Not overly heavy, and with a bit more brightness and color than Avignon. Both fragrances are excellent, though. If you love incense you should love them both. Gets better with every wearing.

24th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 06th October, 2011)

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

Wow! This is a funzie! If you can imagine a perfume that is the exact opposite of light and fresh and youthful, you are probably imagining something along the line of Ambre Russe. This is the scent of a passionate love affair in a freezing worn torn city, dark and boozy and sexy and amber and very bittersweet. If you like real drama in a fragrance, this is one to sample. The list of notes include both vodka and champagne, leather, tea, incense, and cinnamon ... Enough to keep anyone warm all winter.

24th August, 2011

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

So interesting this Carnal Flower...and surprising. Such a unique green opening, unexpected. This is a fragrance that goes in it's own green direction with tuberose.
    More masculine than Fracas, but just as rich. There is no candy violet accord here, but still a touch of powder. This is a one of a kind, very nice.

23rd August, 2011

Diorella by Christian Dior

I just read someone else's review of Diorella that said Diorella is "yester yeary" which I love. I will second that. But it's yesteryeariness refers to an odd period of the 1970s, so a part of Diorella is fresh and unisex and free-spirited and citrusy...and in that way, also somewhat current. But, another part of this fragrance is old school perfumey, powdery and even leathery. This thing is really a bit weird, but it takes you on such a classic journey. Very interesting. It works.

23rd August, 2011

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

I give the bottle design a thumbs up, the juice is so-so. A very safe synthetic Iso-E Super smell with nice mild (boring) flowers. I forgot about it 5 seconds after I stopped smelling it. I guess you could say that it is delicate, but I find it hard to care about.

21st August, 2011

Daphne by Daphne Guinness

An SA at Aedes was picking out tuberose scents for me, and we were going thrugh the store. I tried the Malle, the L'Artisan and then he sprayed Daphne on a mouillette and handed it to me. I gave it a quick sniff. I kept testing scents until I had a handful of mouillettes and I couldn't remember which perfume was which. Before I decided on my final purchase (Carnal Flower) I revisited all the scents in my hand. When I resniffed Daphne, it struck me as by far the loveliest and the most feminine. I handed the mouillette back to the SA and asking, can you remember which one this is, and he sniffed it, and told me, "It's the Commes des Garcons..." So while it is not what I was looking for that day (a tuberose soliflore), it haunted me with it's abstraction, until I bought a bottle about a week later.
    Daphne is now in my top ten for a few reasons, it is a big complicated floral that dries down to incense, 1-2 sprays last forever, and in my mind it represents everything decadent that I love about perfumes.

20th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th August, 2011)

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

You know I had to wear this about 5 times before I could get it...to me this is a very white incense fragrance. If you are an incense fanatic this is one for your collection because it is such a different use of incense. This scent is very charming and innocent and somewhat fascinating, aside from being iconic.

19th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th August, 2012)

Fire Island by Bond No. 9

I have never tried Bobbi Brown Beach (the original Coppertone smell-alike) but I love Fire Island, an not because I come from New York. This is the first Bond No. 9 I have ever bought, and generally they sort of irritate me because of the cheesy names, but I really like this ozoney orangey suntan lotioniness! Calming and sheer and just a great summer scent. Ultra wearable, especially in the heat. Maybe I'll try another frangrance from this line yet...

19th August, 2011

Lyric Woman by Amouage

I really did not feel anything special for the Amouage EDP range, until I saw the deep red glass of the Lyric Woman bottle...instinctively I pulled the cap off and smelled it...and was transported through time. This is what I want 1001 Arabian Nights to smell like, red roses, and saffron and oud (?) and incense. Lush and plush and creamy dark rose. As perfect as a perfume can get.

16th August, 2011

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is a new type of scent for me. Big, and thick, and rich. "The composition is floral and built of aldehydes and essences of galbanum in top notes, Egyptian jasmine absolute and Bulgarian rose in a heart, with base notes of vetiver and cotton essences." I think the best way to experience this might be to try it right after a round of Chanel No.5 and/or Estee Lauder White Linen or your favorite aldehyde bomb. That is the company that First belongs in, and might help you pick out some subtle differences. If you are a lover those, you will probably lilke this. A glorious, timeless, evening gown of a fragrance, and wonderfully economical these days.

15th August, 2011

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

This is an incredibly complex scent composed of leather and tobacco notes as well as a gorgeous collections of florals and frankincense...when people speak of it as skanky I really don't get that as much as I get smoky. Chanel really hit it out of the park with Cuir de Russie, and if you like dark heroines from books like Anna Karenina, then Cuir De Russie is for you. This is probably one of the reasons that you came to Basenotes to begin with. Sample this one, this is part of the Chanel legend.

14th August, 2011

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

This is a fascinating fragrance that caught me very much off guard. When I took the first sniff I was like "what?" "really?". It has very odd, almost bitter top notes, and not what I was expecting. I guess after so many fruity florals, it surprised me that there was no sweet fruitiness in AP. Although, they smell different, AP could be a kindred spirit to Fracas, they are both huge heady white florals playing by their own rules. They both ask something of the wearer, IMO. But I love them both dearly.
    In a few short minutes, Agent Provocateur starts to expand a bit and start melting your heart right away. A big rose, with some saffron, as well as a bouquet of white flowers, over a slightly sweet base. The dry down is a well balanced rosy warm one. Charmingly formal and could be a wedding scent for the right person. This is a highly stylized heavy weight so try before buying...

12th August, 2011

24, Faubourg by Hermès

A sunny honey- drenched orange blossom scent that is in no way shy. From a venerable French company, comes a venerable French scent. A happy luscious pile of white flowers, fruit, and wood, posh and richly crafted. Wear this how it is meant to be worn, on your scarf, in your hair, and of course on your skin. Monster sillage, and long lasting...this could be a sister to Chanel Coco, perhaps.

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

To me, this scent is the lower-priced older sister of L'Eau D'Hiver, from Frederic Malle. Sweet, minimal, but with different notes, the feeling of a spare elegant oriental remains. The flour note central to Bois Farine, is actually from a wood, not wheat, so to my nose the resemblance is not that strong. Also, Bois Farine, opens with a dry odd notes that is hard to describe, but soon settles down to a sheer comforting woody sweetness. Interestingly, I never thought of Bois Farine as nutty, as other reviews have mentioned. A sample will not fail to intrigue you...must be smelled.

White Aoud by Montale

The other reviewers are spot-on about the wacky medicinal opening of White Aoud, it is very harsh right out of the gate. As I blind bought this, I was like "what have I gotten myself in for?" and I just ignored it for about 90 seconds. Then, I smelled it again, and it was another fragrance entirely, a wearable sweet creamy rose. Thus was my introduction to White Aoud, and to Montale in general. If you are a collector of rose fragrances with classic Arabic styling, you will want to pick up a Montale for sure. If you are looking for a feminine rose/saffron/oud, I would say, Montale White Aoud might be it.

Sugar by Fresh

If you like sugar this is just like it. With a touch of lemon.

02nd August, 2011

Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Well it started off like Juniper schnapps, and then turned into a smoky violet fruit salad with wood in it. I read a review that said "a lawn mower with freshly mown grass on it in a cool garage," and I can see that. This is weird and I like it although my husband does not particularly. Indeed some people find it vile, but I own the 30ml vial and do wear it. Take a sample out side the wall of scent of Lush, and see for yourself.

28th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th September, 2011)

Tribute Attar by Amouage

This bourbon colored attar from Oman is already well described in the previous posts so let me not repeat what has already been said. To me, Tribute is a dark, smoky leather in the same vein at Cuir de Russie. Tobacco and leather, with some strategic floral notes. From a women's perspective, if you feel comfortable in Tabac Blond or Cuir de Russie, you will not have a problem with Tribute. Ashy, smoldering, austere with a touch of sweetness in the dry down. I like this attar for getting taking me on mental a trip to intimate sheesha lounge on a hot summer night.

28th July, 2011

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Beautiful beyond words. A huge mesmerizing tower. PoL Opens with a breeze of currants and berries then a breathtaking rose that is so big is it difficult to perceive, on top bone dry incense/patchouli and oudh Words cannot convey the majesty of this fragrance. Could be worn by anyone except a wallflower. This is my current top pick out of my entire wardrobe.

19th July, 2011

Coco by Chanel

This might be my favorite Chanel. An intense warm floral, for some reason it reminds me a bit Hermes' 24, Faubourg, Guerlain's Shalimar, and also a bit of others Chanel fragrances like Bois Des Isles and No. 5. This vanilla and sweet base notes are just glorious!

Pure love.

I just grew into this fragrance after not understanding it in my childhood. This scent to me now is so welcoming and perfect. I can picture myself enjoying it for many years to come.

13th July, 2011

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought this on an impulse when I heard that it was being discontinued, and then of course, started to appreciate it. It's a wonderful yummy citrusy vanilla with a warm bourbon vanilla dry down. Wearable, and gourmandy without being too sweet. Perfumey enough to make you feel like a lady, but not so much that you feel like you are a lady from another generation.

11th July, 2011

Hermèssence Paprika Brasil by Hermès

I am a huge fan of JCE, but did like this one. Sour and dry on me. Just not for me. But I would stop short of giving a thumbs down.

09th July, 2011

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Un Bois Vanille Notes

Black vanilla absolute, licorice, sandalwood, coconut milk, beeswax, caramelized benzoin, bitter almond, Gaiac wood, tonka bean

A delicate, smoky vanilla, with a woody base note, sophisticated and enchanting. If you like vanilla, this is one for the collection. Feminine, but a guy can easily wear this. Four words I see over and over again, referring to this fragrance are "grown up Pink Sugar", and that is absolutely true. It is a grown up vanilla, with a few other whispery smoky notes. Magical.

08th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st January, 2012)

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is a review of the oil perfume. Let me just preface this by saying musc oil perfume is one of my favorite things in the universe, and my daily scent is Narciso Rodriguez Musc for Her Oil. In my humble opinion, this is the way to wear musc, but I digress.
    Musc ravager is a quietly aromatic delicious gourmandy scent that does not overwhelm the wearer. A bit smoldering, a bit snuggly, with pleasing and yummy base notes that I find comforting and warm. It is sexy, especially in that the oil wears so close to the skin. Now some people do not feel comfortable with this one, so smell it before buying...but don't be afraid. It's is very special and lovely.

08th July, 2011

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

This is one of the few unisex scents that I wear. A soothing bitter orange, cooled with mint, nicely done. Wonderful for a hot July night in New York City, or anywhere, for that matter.

06th July, 2011