Reviews by Fleurine

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

L'Heure Bleue is a treasure from Paris during La Belle Epoque that pre-dates penicillin.
    It's simple magic it will lure you back to a different time, at once less complex but somehow more sophisticated, where you can relax and dream. It is, however, Perfume with a capital P, and has a take no prisoners sort of feel. I found it familiar somehow, even on the first smelling.
    If you are open to it's magic, you may like it. Maybe even love it.

Bolt of Lightning by JAR

The SA at Bergdorf's was so generous with his time and attention (I spent over an hour there), and the fragrance wears like a crown of tuberose. There are worse things you could do with $875, but, obviously, there are many better things. If you buy this, buy this because you love it, and wear it for yourself, not to impress anyone. A memorable tuberose. I am haunted by this one a bit...in a good way.

Outrageous! by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The name of this is Outrageous? Why? Possibly because of the price. It smelled like a nice generic citrus (like lemon) cologne, with some other nice spice notes, but I just kept waiting for the Oitrageous to kick in...maybe that comes when you get to the cash register. You can skip this, unless you love the bottle or something.

Bois des Îles by Chanel

This is one Chanel that is it nearly impossible not to like. A wonderful gingerbready warm classic fragrance, and even some mini aldehydes to keep reminding you that it's Chanel. A treasure in extrait de parfum, especially!

03 July, 2011

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

I ordered an 11 scent Estee Lauder collection of miniatures, and Cinnabar was one of them. What a little treasure! Like a Youth Dew from another era, Cinnabar is one of those transformative fragrances that will put you directly in touch with the past. You can read through the notes listed, but when you smell this wonderfully abstract elixir, so many emotions rush in.

03 July, 2011

Tabac Blond by Caron

I tried this on in the Caron boutique in NYC (in phytouniverse), and within the first 2 minutes of wearing it, I got a compliment from another customers HUSBAND, and a total stranger. So there you go. Not bad for a fragrance from 1919. Edgy but wearable and classic.

02 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 July, 2011)

Bandit by Robert Piguet

I smelled Bandit. At Bergdorf's of all places. Can ANYONE pull this one off? Even I couldn't wear this (and I can put on two sprays of Angel and five minutes later get into a crowded elevator). To me, Bandit smells like an old dirty leather rag, that someone sprayed a flower scented oven cleaner on, and then used to clean an old barbecue. It is truly rank. I was trying to hide the smell on my hand from other people on the subway. This fragrance is so out there, I'm giving it a thumbs up, although I couldn't ever bring myself to wear it again.

02 July, 2011

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is my story. I walked into Barney's on Madison Avenue, I told the SA I was looking for a nice vanilla, she handed me this first. I smelled it. I bought it, and I left.
    I've never smelled anything remotely similar. If you like vanilla/saffron perfection, you have come to the right place. Get this one.

01st July, 2011

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

Notes for Boudoir are viburnum, marigold, orange blossom, orris, rose, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, amber, vanilla, sandalwood, patchouli...

It's hard to believe tuberose isn't mentioned in there because this opens with a heady floral accord that I would swear includes tuberose...anyway, tuberose notwithstanding, this is a powerhouse from the 90's imitating a powerhouse from the 80's. I read a review online that claimed this would be a good scent for a night out clubbing, dancing, partying, etc. and that sounds about right. This will make you smell like that's what you been doing, anyway, even if you haven't.
    Boudoir is not obnoxious, but it still has some attitude.
    The scent of "idealized sweat" was another great observation I read.
    Ok, my personal perspective is that it has one essential thing I am crazy for, creaminess. This thing is in the family of Fracas, in terms of both heft and creaminess. The base notes might as well be buttercream. If you are a fan of Le Labo Rose 31, you will probably recognize some similarity to Boudoir. Buy now as it was discontinued and or reformulated..

30th June, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2013)

Ferme tes Yeux by JAR

This a wonderful leather fragrance. It is the darkest colored fragrance in the line, and is a dark whiskey color. The fragrance I originally encountered in the cold glass dish, was complex, deep, rich without being heavy.
    Once you dab it on, FTY kicks off with a bang, a leathery animalic concoction, with some top and middle notes that for some odd reason make me think Ambre Russe, a bitter smelling leathery amber...it is not sweet, and there is an organic woody bark/or tea/or camphorous type note. There is a nonsweet amber type basenote, and I think incense.
    After the beginning, much less animalic, and rather dry. Less OTT animalic than say APLS, or Cuir de Russie. If I had to compare this to another frangrance, the dry down reminds me of Black Fleece for Her EdP.
    The wonderful thing about Jar parfums, is that they are the perfect volume, not too loud, but you can smell them.

My best guess as notes: Leather/Amber/Incense/Jasmine, final answer.

Try it!

Once you dab dabb it on, it became a unique, warm sexy leather. Haunting.

29 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st May, 2012)

Diamond Water by JAR

Not my favorite from this line but complex and absctract and pretty. This is fragrance that the SA himself said he wears. One of the more accessible in the line. 100% Unisex and with the same haunting quality common to all the fragrances in this line. Spicey/clovery/nutmeggy. Something about it reminded me of my beloved Soy Chai Latte, only about $595 dollars more. :)

29 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2012)

Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé by Hermès

This is a vast improvement over their other Iris scent Hiris. Very clean and beautiful. I also prefer this one over the Prada Iris. Pricey but wonderful if Iris is what you are looking for. Longevity is average with this.

27 June, 2011

Dream Angels Heavenly by Victoria's Secret

Everyone is right when they say this is a common scent...I thought that EXACT thing when I smelled it on a co-worker of mine in 2003 and 2004. I thought she was common and her scent was common. Some average floral. Maybe that was the best she could find.
    But after working alongside her day after day, and month after month, I began to gain a lot more respect for both her and her fragrance. They were both nice, focused, and not distracting to be around. The scent gave her a clean, polished air.

About a year later, a day came when I just had to ask her what perfume she wore, and she told me in a very no-nonsense way "Victoria's Secret" (that figures I thought to myself)...how pedestrian.

But, off I went to a huge VS in midtown Manhattan to further investigate. I sniffed out her Heavenly from across the sidewalk, and purchased a bottle, as if it would transform me into that polished professional, like it appeared to have done to her.

So, all that came from this little scent. Now I have this long relationship with Dream Angels Heavenly, and I love it.

To me, this is a clean, professional, cheap but very well-done fragrance.
    It gets the job done well.

26 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 September, 2011)

White Linen by Estée Lauder

The aldehyde opening reminded me of No.5, which I was not expecting. At first I was afraid that it was going to stay stingy and sharp, but it warmed up quite quickly into sweet very nice wearable scent. Not that much like linen, but I suppose you might get that if you look for it. Yes, it is a bit old lady, a bit Ivory soapy, in a good way. Nothing stale smelling, and no spicy carnation. Very very nice. I think I will throw the bottle in my bag and take it to work.

25 June, 2011

Frangipani Absolute by Ormonde Jayne

From the other reviews, I was expecting this to be very sweet and vanilla-y, but when I tried it, I got a huge hit of citrus as the operner so that was a surprise! This fragrance is another winner from OJ, to me at least. The frangipani note is front and center (not that I am so familiar with the flower) and I love how this fragrance brings in so much feminine floral fun in without seeming the tiniest bit old fashioned or cloying. The fragrance slowly evolves into a warm creamy white pillow.

Edit: The more I wear this, the more enormous I find the frangipani note to be...FA does for frangipani what Une Rose by Malle does for rose, it makes it incredibly huge. I'm tempted to say that if you like the ginormism of Diorissimo, or other white flower soliflores, chances are you will like this.

24 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2012)

Osmanthus by Ormonde Jayne

This is a lovely sparkling osmanthus edp with a fizzy lime opener! Wonderfully bright with a luscious floral heart, and effervescent feminine power. Unique, and satisfying. I bought the set of 4 x 10ml travel sprays, and I keep one in my bag because this scent is so uplifting. One or two sprays on the way home from work is both energizing and relaxing. This is pretty and fun and wonderful. Big thumbs up!

24 June, 2011

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

I suppose I should give this a thumbs up because it is pretty good, and better than most perfumes. Sort of a watery pretty version of No. 5 without any of the power.
    Wearable but fades very quickly.
    I have a miniature of this one, and I will wear but I doubt if I would ever buy a bigger bottle. Not bad.

Edit: I just bought a set of travel sprays of this...I DO like it...just takes some getting used to...

22 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2011)

No. 5 by Chanel

The challenge of Chanel No. 5 is making her your own.

It can feel weird to try to fill the big mommy shoes of this fragrance but so worth it when you do. Dry and warm and sweet and floral and legendary, basically the whole package.

This venerable aldehyde-laden floral potion holds her own, even after all this time.

This get three thumbs up from me: for the parfum, the edp, and the edt.

22 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 03 July, 2011)

Crème Bouquet by Stila

Creme Bouquet is a charming and delicious mix of vanilla and flowers that is just sweet enough. Lovely white petals and vanilla that settle into the most feminine baby powder cloud you can imagine. Love.

Dune by Christian Dior

This is a personal favorite of mine, and maybe it is because it is so difficult to analyze. A very special fragrance in the family of Hypnotic Poison. Complex and original, and only the tiniest bit beachy. There is an interesting faint licorice note giving Dune a sweet breezy feeling. Must be experienced directly!

Calyx by Prescriptives

I smelled this on a close friend of mine in the 1990's and loved it, then ten years later I smelled it again and I was "over it". Now smelling it again, I'm back to loving it. Calyx reminds me of a body shop perfumed oil (probably discontinued) called Juba. For me to objective about Calyx is hard because it was first non-headache perfume that I can remember, so I will always love it for that. It spawned a host of imitators (much like Angel) so there must be something special going on here.
    For me, this is a fun summer frangrance, that is fruity-sweet without being sickening, and fresh without being too aquatic. Maybe not for everyone but cool and wonderful for asummer day!

Stella In Two - Amber by Stella McCartney

I'm giving this the thumbs up for the same reason the other reviewer did...because the concept is cool, and the Peony EDT is so pretty. The Stella in Two Amber gives more range to the Peony EDT. Also the packaging is lovely. It comes in a very solid metallic pink case. Very feminine and original. Discontinued, of course.

Love's Rain-Scent by Love's

A now discontinued flanker of Love's baby soft. Baby powder and soft flowers. A very sweet memory from my past, so I treasure my little bottle!

20th June, 2011

Stella In Two - Peony by Stella McCartney

I tried this based on a recommendation by a fellow BN'er. As it turns out, it was a great suggestion for me! A pretty, modern EDT peony soliflore, with no baggage. This is the way I like my fragrances, understated and elegant, without weird overtones or harsh edges. This is great for all ages, as I think high schoolers or college women could pull this off, and it would not seem out of place on mature women either. I purchased the amber solid perfume, but have not worn them together yet. Will update when I do. :)

17 June, 2011

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

It took me many years to warm up to this fragrance but I finally did. The white patchouli note in the base used to really jump out at me too much, so I never really tried wearing it. when I finally did I was so pleasantly surprised! it really calmed down on my skin, and turned into a unique and wearable fragrance. I think LT called it a "radiant wood", and that sounds about right. The osmanthus note is very very pretty, and this fragrance is a compliment-getter. Not the rarest scent out there, but a very special scent to me.

16 June, 2011

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

This is a good scent for me. Transparent, modern, fresh, clean, bright. Something i can wear that doesn't end up wearing me. In a way, it could be mistaken for a skin or hair product, and not a stand alone fragrance, but that, to me is a compliment. It has the charm of clean fresh summer afternoon. Really nice, and my husband likes it.

16 June, 2011

Guirlandes by Carven

I was so happy to find this in the directory, I thought I was the only person in the world who wore this. I bought a bottle of this in a shopping mall in Paris in high school and this was my high school scent. Pure white flowers with the tiniest hint of citrus. I never realized the similarity to another favorite -Anais Anais- until I read the reviews here, but it is true. Guirlandes is like a lighter fresher but still substantial white floral in the family of Anais Anais. I was so excited to find a nice big new bottle of this (pricey but available) on line, so I can wear it again. If you are a white flower addict, like me, and want a wonderful scent from the 80's and 90's, try this pretty one! And the bottle is sweet as well.

"Carven Guirlandes is a floral fragrance launched in 1982. Top notes: bergamot, aldehydes, raspberry, hyacinth and galbanum. Heart: jasmine, rose, tuberose, lily of the valley and clove. Base: sandalwood, oak moss, cedar and musk. The nose behind this fragrance is Robertet."

12 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2011)

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

This is the new EDP that I'm reviewing and I have never worn the older one BUT I think I might be one of the 2/1000000 people who are allergic to oak moss so I probably won't go out looking for that one...

The good news is this Miss can stand on her own merits...I feel like she is a less formal version of Chanel no.5, aldehydes and flowers and a bit of leather, it's true! The more I wear her, the more I like her...dated? Yes! Beautiful? Yes! And no relation to Miss Dior Cherie....

12 June, 2011

Fracas by Robert Piguet

The name pretty much says it all. Fracas...a noisy quarrel. This is a heavyweight gorgeous floral that has earned it's place as a classic. The opening will easily grab your attention (something about it reminds me of Robitussin) and transport you right back to 1948, where you will be wearing a very big but elegant, ladylike, white floral dress for the next few hours. Heady and powerful and feminine, not fresh, not sporty, not sheer...this is THE kick ass tuberose. The dry down is like a luxury hotel room. Amazing but do not blind buy...

12 June, 2011

Chloé (new) by Chloé

As a white flower lover, I had no choice but to like this. For me, I would rather smell girly and pretty than smell original. Easy, breezy, and pretty. Like.

10th June, 2011