Reviews by VedaVia

VedaVia's avatar
    VedaVia

Canaïca by Galimard

My first review to Basenotes.

Living in Los Angeles allows for you to find some amazing things at some off the wall places.

Since I have been a fan of Aromatherapy, Natural Perfumery and essential oils, which has all been inspired by my years involved in the spa industry and Ayurvedic medicine, I find most conventional perfumes to be, beautiful yet over-powering.

When I was at the Goodwill store on La Brea Avenue, I spotted a red box with 5 small clear glass perfume bottles filled with delicately colored fluids. Soft green, aquatic blue, golden and amber. I asked to see the box, opened one bottle and immediately recognized the fine quality of perfume ingredients. Not being familiar with "Galimard Parfumeur en 1747 from Grasse France", I knew, by aromas alone, this set was something I needed to purchase.

The set included: Ma Faute, A Contre-Jour, Cantabelle, Brindille and Canaica. All full, with the exception of A Contre-Jour.
    The price... $5.99.
    Not individually, but for all 5!

My first stop was my iPhone and google where I found their website with the 260 year history, then Basenotes to see what you all thought of them. Within the first sniff, I knew I had to have this box of treasures.
    I'll eventually give reviews of the others. Their quality, their website story, and this $5.99 purchase, makes me want to jump on the next flight to Grasse!

Canaica-
    I picked this amber colored liquid randomly from the set, as I was taking photos of these bottles. The first thing that hit me was the intense, warm caramel. It didn't seem too sweet but I see how it could go that direction based ones chemistry. Secondly I get a light, "green" citrus for a second or two then it transforms into a lovely floral with the cozy caramel wrapping. After about 15 minutes on an Aroma Blotter, the scent has developed into a deep vanilla, amber floral that brings to mind a warm summer evening. On the blotter, the resistance is un-changing and only shifts to the deep amber / vanilla after about an hour.

After spending the last 10 minutes writing this and having the aroma only on the blotter, I put a drop on my wrist to experience the same sillage (aroma trail) with a faster decent into the heavy amber and vanilla. The caramel dissipated quickly to show the Ylang / Jasmine. After about 10 minutes, the resistance (lingering presence of the aroma) has mellowed a lot. If I had applied more, I'm sure it would be stronger for longer. Personally, I'm a fan of an aroma only having a resistance of a few hours with it mellowing and nearly dissipating, unless you have your nose right next to your skin.

Even though this is considered a feminin fragrance, in small quantities, this is an aroma to create a summer evening walking through a field in southern France.

Discovering the talents of Galimard, in such an off the wall place will be a story I will tell for years as I enjoy these aromas.

08 June, 2011