Reviews by LushLife

LushLife's avatar
    LushLife

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Finally, a chance to try the famed M7.
    I came at it from a slightly different approach though, having tried M7 Fresh first. I thoroughly enjoyed the quirky syrupy top of M7 Fresh, combined with the citrus.

So on first whiff, there it is - that note that I enjoyed from M7 Fresh. But - no citrus. Of course, this isn't that spin on the scent. But I found myself wishing it was the Fresh version I was smelling and not the original after about an hour. The scent wore heavy and sweet. Medium lasting on me - 4-6 hours. Actually wore surprisingly close to the skin. I was expecting a sledgehammer of sillage, but M7 did not deliver that. I think that's actually a good thing for this scent.

Half liked, half disliked. So- neutral.

23 May, 2014

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Despite the great reviews of this one thus far, for me I am still at neutral with it. I am a fan of Montale's Black Aoud, and I suppose going into this one I was looking for something similar. Perhaps something with more depth, but the same vein.

Well going in with expectations was part of the problem. Immediately upon applying, I was hit with the gourmand flavours of this scent - the chocolate, the truffle. Similar to the truffle from Black Orchid. This was not, for me, a copy of Black Aoud (as Kain found it to be) - it was a much more sweet.

But the sweet flavours are too rich - like tasting a pastry that is just a bit too sweet to be really enjoyed. Keep in mind I'm a lover of dark chocolate and don't enjoy milk chocolate, so personal preference comes into play here.

It's well blended, and the sweetness (although too much for me) never crosses the line to something that would be generally offensive. And the earthy notes are there, and they are good. Combined, it creates an alluring, 'dark' fragrance that I think would perform well in cool weather.

Willing to attempt this one again, but probably not for a while.

23 May, 2014 (Last Edited: 22 May, 2014)

Red Aoud by Montale

I am in agreement that compared to some of the other Montale Aouds this one has a more subdued oud note. It smells like a pastry when it gets on my skin, absolutely delicious. It also has great lasting power. It is quite feminine compared to Black Aoud, but I still find myself wearing it anyways because it smells really great. I'm going to chalk up another positive review for this one!

Mark Birley for Men by Mark Birley

Not pleased by the combination of citrus and creaminess. Combined, they both ended up smelling a bit like bodily secretions to me, almost waxy. It may be my skin, but I was not impressed. I wanted the citrus notes to be sharper and more bright, but that is obviously not the intention of this fragrance. I didn't like it.

02 Owari by Odin New York

There is a slight bitterness that hangs around in this fragrance. The citrus opening is loud and short, and the drydown is quiet and long. I can still smell it on my wrists as I type this, although it is quite faint. The first citrus top-note blast is invigorating, but calms down into the more earthy basenotes as the fragrance wears on. It doesn't become too sweet either. I like it.

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

Dry. Flat. Thin.

I was informed that this particular smell was 'impossible not to like' and smelled 'a lot like cedar.' Those were my expectations going in. But rest assured, whether your expectations are high or low, this is not a good fragrance. Neither well designed (it's just a molecule) nor pleasant smelling (pretending to be cedar yet smelling purely synthetic), this is one I would not ever wear. Plus, it doesn't project well and wears way too close to the skin.

Although I'm happy I tried it so I could get an idea of Iso E Super, I wouldn't wear it.

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

After spraying this on my wrist and giving it a few hours, I headed to Home Depot to do some shopping. I caught a whiff of some sort of floor cleaner, but realized I was in the carpet department.

Ah yes, it was Grey Vetiver. An overly citrus, thin, and underwhelming. I agree that the vetiver notes are smoothly blended, and the 'dirtiness' of the vetiver is missing from the frag. I also am able to get the image of 'grey' when I smell it. But it smells like something I'd clean my floor with. Not a fan

26 May, 2011

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Smells like rootbeer to me. Projects like crazy. Has a synthetic tinge to it that can cause headaches. But when applied sparingly actually smells quite nice. Safe - yes. Edgy, daring, or high-quality? - No.

18 May, 2011

Frank No. 3 by Frank Los Angeles

I agree with Foetidus - the opening had promise, but as soon as you get a bit into it the 'aqua di gio' takes over. In fact that's exactly what this scent reminds me of. If you're looking for that you may be satisfied, but I certainly wasn't.

too bad! I also liked No.1 and 2

09 May, 2011

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

This reminds me a lot of Chergui by Serge Lutens, but there is something softer and maybe even more complex about it. I dont get the feeling of swirling sandstorms in a desert, but it definitely takes me to a middle eastern place. Exceptionally well put together. I definitely noticed the fruit. After wearing a few times, the fruit stands out the most for me in the composition.

Ridiculous lasting power too, I could still smell it 8 hours later, even after being in a pool. I also agree that when it gets on clothes, it stays for even longer.

I was thoroughly impressed with the depth and complexity of this scent, and I enjoyed it as much (maybe more?) than Chergui.

29 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 June, 2011)

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Another surprise favorite. This is a deep, masculine scent, and the drydown smells just excellent and dark. The licorice notes up top are pleasant and definitely not overwhelming. I have read a review earlier that states this wolf is like the fairytale mean wolf from little red riding hood. To me, it was much more carnal. Yet it doesnt overwhelm, doesnt shout, and is quite complex. I kept thinking of Varvatos Man, but I'm not sure if these scents are actually similar in drydown.

Fougères Marines by Montale

I can see how people have panned this fragrance, as it doesn't do anything remarkable, but what it does it seems to do quite well. The marine note is there, as is the fern note, and it all seems enveloped in a warm cozy blanket. I was actually expecting it to be more 'fresh' but it was still likeable. If anything maybe it was too warm and cozy and not fresh, sharp, or cool enough. I was looking for the latter qualities, but still found it to be a relatively well done scent.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons

This one smelled so fantastic on a card I couldn't wait to get it on my skin. Sequoia doesn't just offer a forest notes, it brings all the details of a huge redwood tree. I agree with dynendal's review; it really does an excellent job of capturing the essence and smell of the redwood.

...until it hits your skin. Within 5 minutes it became the most horrible, medicinal smell. I couldn't stomach it, I had to wash it off immediately! So much potential from the bottle, so horrible on skin. I liked CdG Kyoto, and it worked well on me. But this one was horrific, smelled like floor cleaner once applied.

Embruns d'Essaouira by Montale

This scent was so terrible that it made me feel physically sick to smell. Everything about it smells wrong, and it nearly gave me a gag reflex. Even more repulsive than Sequoia on my skin. Had to scrub off immediately.

It smelled like someone took some twigs, algae, maybe some mold, threw it in a pile, then covered it liberally with iodine. Oh, and then forced you to smell it. Do not want, two thumbs down.

Ciel Man by Amouage

I have never been so intensely struck by imagery when smelling a fragrance as I have been with Amouage's Ciel. It immediately conjured up images of big skies and clouds, and the feeling I get when looking at them. The freshness of the scent at the opening was penetrating, I was thoroughly impressed although it is not something I think I would personally wear often.

Relax by Davidoff

Something about it just smelled so much like cough medicine I couldnt get over it. I waited all evening to get this stuff off me but, in this case unfortunately, this one has some serious lasting power!
    From the topnotes to the basenotes, I just couldnt bring myself to enjoy this one. It gave me a serious headache. Imagine spices in cough syrup, with creamy vanilla. No thanks.

24 August, 2006

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

this scent to me is as smooth as silk and has a buttery quality to it that I really enjoy. This scent to me really evokes a feeling of power and prestige. To me it feels smooth and controlled. Hedi Slimane did an excellent job with this one, which I like much more than the other 2 in the trio.

03 August, 2006