Reviews by nmalakhow

nmalakhow's avatar
    nmalakhow

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I really like this interpretation of vetiver--wearable, elegant, and still capitalizes on the actual vetiver note. Oh, this isn't a vetiver-loaded powerhouse a la Route de Vetiver or LV vetiver, but I've come to a point in my fragrant life where I appreciate vetiver (in fact, I bring the sample vial of MPG's out often to sniff it and wear it in private), but when it's the complete and utter main attraction, roots and all, I can't find an occasion to wear it.

Smelling Vetyver Oriental, from top to base I get vetiver, but even from the title, the scent has no shame in admitting it's doing something creative with vetiver.

On first smell, I though Hanae Mori for men, NOT because they are identical, but because I find them in the same fragrance family. Looking at the HM pyramid gives a bit of insight--some fresh and earthy notes mixed in with an oriental/gourmand base (specifically chocolate in both). I find them in the same fragrance family, for sure, though.

One last thing--using chocolate is a wonderful idea here; it capitalizes on vetiver root's almost chocolatey nature in and of itself. This is a big thumbs up for me, though I don't need it and can't justify spending the money for a full bottle right now.

18 April, 2007

Jicky by Guerlain

After trying the EDT of Jicky, I was completely enthralled by the herbal/lavender/animalic opening and concluded I really liked civet. So I tried the EDP (more civet=more fun, right?) and ick....ok, maybe I don't quite like civet in and of itself. People have referred to it as a "baby vomit" note, and that image rings all too true to me.

Returning the to EDT just to make sure my nose wasn't failing me, I still found myself loving the lightly animalic/sweet combination in this fresh rendition on lavender.

One of my favorite lavender scents, and I struggle to find one I really want to wear--I love the scent of the flowers in and of themselves, but find it a little hard to take in perfumery unless blended really well. While lavender is not as center stage here as it is in, say for example, Gris Clair, it is still clearly the integral, central note

a wonderful classic

17 April, 2007

Shisha by Ava Luxe

Being that AL's "Midnight Violet" reminds me a lot of a poor man's SL Iris Silver Mist, I was hoping this one would capture the feeling from one of my other favorite SL creations, Fumerie Turque, with it's description of honeyed nargeelah tobacco. Unfortunately, I get a very linear sweet tobacco note, that smells a bit like fake cherry.

Besides the fact that there is very minimal evolution, I'm also missing the smoke component that makes Fumerie Turque what it is. Not an overall bad smell, but not what I was looking for.

Rasa by Ava Luxe

This is a review for the "new" Rasa (but I do compare it to the old one, now known as "x-treme"):

This is a lovely powdery floral musk. When I heard the description of musks and spiced roses, I was immediately drawn to the idea b/c I'm a big fan of Lorenzo Villoresi's rosy Musk (but find it a bit too soft for my liking). Alas, this one is soft as well. I'd wear it to bed, as it feels nice, light, comforting, and sensual, but it's a bit too feminine for my tastes. I get the roses, but felt shortchanged on the spice...

I also tried "Rasa X-treme" in hopes of finding a nicer, spicier rose, but boy...you talk about "fecal notes" and then there's the smell of the substance itself...it's an interesting concept, but all that nastiness mixed with powdery roses/musk makes it smell kind of like dirty diapers in the end (sorry for any fans). MKK is dirty, but smells of sweat not...you know what.

Still, the smell of Rasa is nice so it gets a thumbs up

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is a beautifully constructed fragrance and this is coming from someone who isn't the biggest fan of "soli-amber" (is that pun on soliflore legal to say?) scents. It's very complex but not "busy"; the vanilla and woods work so well with the amber accord. It is neither too bland (L'Artisan's Ambre and Ambre Extreme) nor is it stifling/cloying (which is the effect the crowded herbal pyramid of SL Ambre Sultan gives me)

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I think Noir Epices might be inappropiately or misleadlingly named--the spices in it may be black, but the color I associate with this tangy, spicy chypre is more along the lines of orange (or red or yellow). The spices seem more like a device to enhance the tangy/citric accord, and I wish the balance of notes were the other way around (at least to my nose). Also, this reminds me very much in the drydown of Diorella, though Diorella is more understand and not quite as spicy. A well-constructed fragrance, but not for me.

14 April, 2007

Acier Aluminium by Creed

My newest purchase (and the happiest purchase I've made in a long time). I must confess my first thought was apple pie + metallic musk--yet quite pleasing. As it settled down, it evolved into one of the nicest, most distinct powdery drydowns I've experienced.

Another reviewer likened it to a Victorian boudoir. I smelled that quality and was (admittedly) enamored--at once very modern and old-fashioned, which translated to elegant.

A friend of mine who has a self-described "allergic" to scents (walking within ten miles of a sephora gives her a terrible headache) even complimented me.

Logevity was pretty good (better than I get for most EdP strength Creeds) and sillage was clearly effective.

One downside--when I got home at the end of the night (after 5hrs plus out) the nice dry-down had turned a bit sour smelling, but I can live with that if I get to take the ride that heads there.

25 December, 2006