Reviews by genvy5

genvy5's avatar
    genvy5

Skulls & Roses for Him by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Indeed. Another Fierce clone. Mont blanc does a better job there. Seems like ed hardy likes to copy what has been done and put it in a bizarre bottle. The cap on this one is a definite barrier to entry.

29 November, 2012

L'Homme Cologne Gingembre by Yves Saint Laurent

initial blast is quite nice but quickly becomes a Cologne i've smelled plenty of times before. nothing to say about it, forgettable and boring.

24 July, 2012

Legend by Montblanc

Smells almost exactly like Abercrombie and Fitch Fierce. Not as obnoxious or headache inducing -- more smooth. Still, the gal working at Nordys agreed with me when I said that. And since we both used to work at A&F, our sentiments were the same. Not a terrible choice, but too much like A&F for me to want to wear it.

23 July, 2012

Royal Oud by Creed

Boring, stuffy, tame. Creed should have left oud to the masters and not given into the fad of making an oud frag like everyone else. I love Creed frags, btw.

23 July, 2012

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

really good. opens herbal and aquatic. better than the bvlgari, not nearly as gritty and thick. remains fairly herbal and aquatic with a very light, sweet, ambery musky drydown. not one for a cologne-snob, because it's subtle and aquatic. still smelling it on my skin 6 hours later, but it's starting to become hard to smell now, so longevity isn't the greatest but it's certainly not as short as haters try and make it seem - no eau de toilette lasts only 30 minutes. that's called an inexperienced nose and olfactory fatigue, son. better summer choice than bvlgari. can be found VERY cheap online. lovely bottle gradient, sprayer is average quality. I might choose Issey over this if in search of a summer cologne, depends what you're looking for.

23 March, 2010

CK Free by Calvin Klein

Smells like it was aiming at being a cheap Riverside Drive. The opening, despite consisting of notes which many members here love to hate, is actually interesting and nice to smell. But after that the scent loses balance and becomes pretty lame, fading too quickly through the drydown to its death.

14 September, 2009

Midnight Sea by Neil Morris Fragrances

Nostalgic and very patchouli heavy. Interesting that the ozone notes are in the base. But I feel it loses its salty quality as the scent winds down. Still, what a great salty quality it has in this mix. VERY powerful.

parfums*PARFUMS Luxe: Patchouli by Comme des Garçons

Thick and rich chocolatey patchouli. Oh YES. Price is absurd, but that is not the fragrance so thumbs up.

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Very nicely done scent with great iris which is all just ruined by a soapy accord. I can't thumbs down this because it is so great besides the soapiness.

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

A weaker Burberry London with less character and an ugly bottle with poor functionality. Nahh.

Cozé 02 by Parfumerie Generale

I don't smell chocolate of coffee. I just get a very cozy "fireplace burning in the living room at Christmastime" scent. I feel like it's a bit flat, however. Lacks enough interesting character to make me want to buy it.

Black Aoud by Montale

After an hour this is GOLDEN. Very much worth the medicinal oud opening. Goodness what a wonderful rose oud patchouli scent. I don't smell mandarin in it at all. ABSURDLY long lasting though, which might be a turn off for some buyers.

Fougères Marines by Montale

Smells exactly like Adidas Moves 0:01. Fougere. Not briny enough to be called marine.

Essential by Lacoste

It's not even there. Are you kidding me? It's like smelling tap water. What does that smell like?

Eternity Summer for Men 2005 by Calvin Klein

This is the best of all the Eternity Summers, and it is more pleasant than Eternity - which sort of smells "pissy" to me. Too bad they don't make this anymore.

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Fiery at first. Smokey woods with a persistent vetiver throughout the whole thing. Damn sexy. Very much like Gucci PH but this is far better. I find Gucci unwearably woody and loud. If Gucci is the guy physically escalating way too fast on girls at the club, this one is the man who locks eyes and holds that tension which speaks depth about his sexual power - but it is not blatantly shoved around. I also find this somewhat similar to Azzaro Visit due to the nutmeg. Thank goodness it is controlled nutmeg, unlike Visit.

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I don't think this is like Cuir Ottoman either. This gorgeous. No idea what hawthorne smells like but it must be good, because I can smell more than just apricot and suede - the only things in this I can pick out as names. I'm blown away by this as I can't categorize it into any typical scent group. Projects like none other. Smooth and soft, and yet it projects this character so largely.

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

This lasts an insanely long time for an aquatic. More interesting than MI. I prefer it. However, I still feel like both scents are missing some depth which would draw me more to them. Erolfa has this. Still, both this and MI are well-done scents which last.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Wonderful gourmand with good lasting power. Tamer than A*Men and therefore far more versatile. I don't have much to say as I am going off of my memory of it in the past summer. But oh it's good.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Started out hating this but I now appreciate it for what it is. An overly sweet spicy concoction with a slight floral heart. Tobacco, honeyed florals, amber, all very prominent in this. Somewhat similar to Sables but this is actually wearable. Absurdly powerful and loud.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

Sweet fruits + alcoholic. VERY smooth texture. Not sure of lasting power but I like the scent. Wouldn't wear it. It's not particularly interesting honestly, but it smells nice.

Himalaya by Creed

Smooth and sweet with fresher character. Ambergris is strong and amazing in this. Really makes the scent. Sweet peppered fruits in the opening and heart make it interesting. Longevity goes under the radar after 5 hours for me but people tell me I smell fantastic long after 7.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I knew that was plum in the opening! This is an AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL scent. Magical, ethereal and earthy. I bet Tinkerbell smells like this. The Disney cartoon one, not the Julia Roberts one. She played a weird Tinkerbell.

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Buttery sandalwood cologne which reminds me of a very humid and stuffy library with archaic tomes and old frail men rummaging through them. In a bad way.

Sables by Annick Goutal

Smells like breakfast gone bad. I hate to give bad reviews which aren't intelligent, but I don't feel this deserves any better.

Pi by Givenchy

Toooooooooo much vanilla. Or perhaps that's benzoin? Either way too much.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Mentholated - that's an apt description of the opening. I like it. Spicy green ginger + vanilla heavy. Very sexy. Popular with women. Not overbearing at 3 sprays but beyond that it's a bit much. Fair lasting power.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

A very flat smokey vanilla fragrance. Flat in a bad way. It lacks depth and character which makes a scent interesting beyond that it has notes which are unusual. Which it does. It's not a bad one, it just is too flat to be something worth reaching for.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is one fiery, powerful beast of a scent. The herbs and spices in this are a little jarring at first, which is something I really appreciate about Ambre Sultan. They smooth out as amber and vanilla take over. Or maybe that's benzoin and not vanilla. Very similar smelling to me. Did I mention it's powerful? BEYOND powerful. Easily unisex.

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

At first I liked it but my nose was overwhelmed at the time with all the other SL scents. This starts out too much like a hard candy and something you'd expect a girl's body spray to smell like. The pine in the beginning is offputting to me. It turns into something like a candied or macintosh apple candle. Weak and stays close to the skin. Does not last very long for this house. Not so good.

30th September, 2008