Reviews by tdi

tdi's avatar
    tdi

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

I received a lovely sample of this from Bond No. 9. It is a beautiful fragrance but beware...it is BIG. As much as I wanted this to work with my chemistry all it did was knock me around for a few hours before it chewed me up and spit me out.

27 December, 2007

Shisha by Ava Luxe

Given the notes listed and the fairly good reviews I was anxious to try Shisha. Well, now that I have, one word comes to mind.....URINE. I like a good dirty smelling fragrance as much as the next person but I consider myself to be way too young to go around smelling like I just pissed myself. Body chemistry is a confounding thing!

13 October, 2007

Barbara Bui by Barbara Bui

Since there are no other reviews on this lovely fragrance I feel I must write one. I bought Barbara Bui blind ( the shame of it !) but I don't regret it at all. Reading the fragrance notes I just knew I would love it and it would work with my skin chemistry. It starts out as a soft spicey floral, none of the notes are overpowering. Just when you think it is going to mellow to nothing it develops into a warm, spicey incensey fragrance. Again it is not overpowering very balanced and never harsh. It reminds me alot of Sonia Rykiel Woman but is much more comlex and spicier. Apparently this fragrance has been discontinued but I was lucky enough to find a full bottle on ebay for a very reasonable price.

30th July, 2007

Play-Doh by Demeter Fragrance Library

I have to say I hate this with a passion. Maybe if it had smelled like Play-Doh I would feel differently. At first I thought it was developing that almondy, doughy scent of Play-Doh but then all I could smell was what I think smells like wintergreen lifesaver. Gag! This is not the Play-Doh smell I love

L by Lolita Lempicka

Evan after all the bad reviews I adore L, but it smells fabulous on me ( at least that is what I am told every time I wear it). To me L smells like a lemony vanilla ( I know there is not lemon listed in the notes). It is not a syrupy vanilla on me but warm and dry. I have not tried wearing L in the warm weather for fear it may be overpowering but I may try it yet. The bottle is amazingly beautiful!

Songes by Annick Goutal

I love Songes despite all the bad reviews. It smells like a perfectly blended bouquet of jasmine and gardenia with something slightly spicy thrown in.When I wear Songes it makes me want to but on a beautiful sundress and have lunch at an outdoor cafe with my friends.

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

I was searching for a nice fresh floral when I came across Rose Essentielle about a year ago. I fell instantly in love but I was wary of purchasing because I thought the logevity was not what it should be.... but I thought to hell with it I'll reapply every hour if I have to. Well, I didn't have to because it just took me a couple of wearings to appreciate the nuances in Rose Essentielle. It always smells fresh and clean and soft. I smell that hint of violet and jasmine but they are never overpowering to the rose, the fragrance stays balanced and lovely for hours.

Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

This is a beautiful unique fragrance. I guess I could agree that it slightly smells of Play-Doh ( which I love the smell of by the way) but I think it is more of a doughy marzipan scent. I don't find it overly sweet and I love the soft powdery floral scent. Maybe it is overated but so are a lot of other things....yes it is pricey but I intend to be the owner of a full bottle ASAP.

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

I received Chinatown as a sample and I thought WOW! I ordered a decant and was practically in tears when I sprayed the last drops. I could not get to Saks fast enough to purchase the largest bottle. I completely adore this fragrance and no it is not fresh or clean smelling and I love that about it. When I have Chinatown on I can envision sitting in my favorite Thai restraunt with a nice big plate of Pad Thai infront of me sipping my Thai iced tea and I have a beautiful fragrant flower in my hair and the scents are all swirling and converging around me...that is Chinatown to me.

Shalimar by Guerlain

If you even remotely like vanlla and have not tried Shalimar you are missing one of the great fragrances of all time. It was difficult for me to wear this at first because the only person I know who wears it is my Moms best friend. It still brings back memories of my childhood when I smell it but they are wonderful memories. I always get compliments when I wear it and people are surprised when I tell them it's Shalimar. It never smells old fashioned to me just timeless and beautiful.

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

This one seems to have evoked some very strong opinions! I tried Fleur du Male the other day and I find it to be lovely. I found it to be very feminine but I could definitely see a man who is very sure of himself pulling it off with ease. I myself would love to have a bottle and even contemplated buying it for the hubby but I new he would see right through my plotting!

Fantasy by Britney Spears

I absolutely hate this fragrance with a vengence. My Mom bought a bottle and it has just about sent me over the edge. Not only does it bring on a migraine when I am around her with it on I also find it to smell very similar to Raid bug spray with a splash of pineapple juice. I guess we all meet up with our fragrance nemesis eventually!

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

I can not say enough about Ambre Narguile. I keep sending people into the Hermes store to score samples for me....I am a junkie. I told my two teenage daughters, when we were in the Hermes boutique recently and as I completely doused myself in AN, that when I die I want to be embalmed with Ambre Narguile and then set on fire. They REALLY think I am crazy now but that is what this fragrance has done to me....I will never be able to get enough of it.

Parfum No. 1 by The Pink Room

I recently tried a sample of The Pink Room and I highly recommend it. This is not a girly fragrance it is very elegant but never stuffy. When I put this on it makes me think of beautiful pale, pale pink roses in a cool room...very fresh and rosey.

Trouble by Boucheron

I actually like Trouble a lot but it reminds me of a cross between Hypnotic Poison and JPG Classique ( which I adore). Trouble is more mellow, toned down and soft though. I prefer the more in your face Classique if I was forced to choose. I really expected something much more dramatic I guess.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I think I love this fragrance. On my skin it just smells like fresh, clean leather. The smell I experience when I am cleanig my saddle, but not a soapy smell...just very fresh. I don't smell anything that resembles the smell of my horse by the way ( although I love the way he smells and was hoping for a little of that in Dzing!)

10th July, 2007

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I am not one for writing reviews but this fragrance evoked such deep memories in me I just have to write one. I ordered a sample just thinking I wanted a quick smell of Tea For Two but now i want a HUGE bottle. With my first sniff of my wrist I was transported back 30 years or so to my Great Uncles farm just outside of Nashville Tennessee where I would vacation with my Grandparents every summer. My uncle grew tobacco on his farm and that is what Tea For Two smells like to me. If you have never smelled large amounts of tobacco hung for drying you are missing out on the greatest smoky scent that exists! It really bears no similarities to cigarette or cigar smoke to me. It is the warmest, sweetest smoky fragrance and it really defies an explanation by me. I also get the honey in this fragrance and I guess the smokiness could remind me of Lapsong Souchong tea if I had never smelled drying tobacco before. This is definately a warm and cozy comfort scent that I see myself purchasing very soon.

10th July, 2007

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I bought Fracas several years ago for my Mom as a gift. I just tried it on my skin for the first time today and all I can say is WOW! I am in love with the way I smell right now. First I got the white floral and green note and thought it was likeable but the middle notes lured me in. I don't get any buttery smell at all it is just fresh dewey Tuberose and jamine with ripe peach drizzled on top. I am now smelling a hint of sandlewood and slight mossyness. As I sit here and type this I am plotting the abduction of my Moms bottlew which she never uses.

17 June, 2007

Fig / Figuier by Ava Luxe

Let me preface this by saying I hate fig, usually. Ava Luxe Fig is different though. The fig is not that nauseating,overripe fig I usually get. Ava Luxe Fig is a slightly ripening fig among fresh, green leaves. If you love green notes and even remotely like fig give this one a try.

22 March, 2007