Reviews by _R$_

_R$_'s avatar
    _R$_

Thunderstorm by Demeter Fragrance Library

What a terrible excuse for a fragrance. I've lived in Kansas for 16 years now, and if anyone knows what a thunderstorm smells like, it is Kansans. We open all the doors and windows, turn on the attic fan, and go out on the front lawn to see the storm roll in. Grab a beer, drink some wine, smoke a cigar. It's a time to relax and clear your head. It's the smell of dirt and rain. It's pure. Thunderstorm (The fragrance) has this tense quality to it, with no resemblance what so ever to a real one. I don't know why people think that a thunderstorm smells electric. Define electric. If you mean electricity, you are very mistaken, electricity has no scent. If you mean ozone from lightning bolts, you are extremely mistaken. There isn't enough lightning for you to actually smell ozone. Believe me. I've only smelled it once during a storm, and that's when the tree in our yard got hit. We decided to stay outside a little longer, to see if a tornado would pop up. Thunderstorm is a poor effort, only made worse by people accepting it as the real deal. Come to Kansas sometime you'll see enough lightning and feel the thunder. You'll know a real thunderstorm.

06 March, 2007

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Two thumbs way up. This fragrance is an excellent Rose, jousting for first with Voleur de Roses for me. It's sweet, spicy, has decent sillage, and average longevity. I've gotten quite a few compliments from this, and I look to get quite a few more.

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

A better AdG. Z takes the mossy/woods route to get to the sea while AdG throws cut lemons at you while you try to get there. Not a bad effect, but ultimately nothing new or inspiring. Just a non-offensive scent that everyone will say "I've smelled that before!" Enjoy it for the reason that it smells good, don't hate it because it's not original.

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

Ahhh, the Fig, member of the Ficus family. Some people get in a rut where Fig scents hold a certain "allure" to them, and they must try every one. After trying most of them they find that the Fig is not an accessible scent, and very hard to wear.
    This is the easiest Fig to wear I've ever found. The coconut makes it slightly softer around the edges, and for some reason makes it less edible than most Figs. It's a great scent that shouldn't offend anyone, and I've worn it quite a few times with my business suit to great success. Highly recommended for those looking for "That one Fig that I can wear anytime". Not recommended for those who appreciate a natural Fig that just came of the tree.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Too cool, just too cool. Gucci Envy scared me when I first got it, but now, I know it's a great scent with a lot to offer. Try it. If you don't like it, try it again. If you still don't like it, visit an Ears, Nose, and Throat doctor, you've got to get your nose fixed. If you still don't like it, that's personal taste. In my opinion, one of the greatest fragrances of all time, and very manly to boot.

Blue Jeans by Versace

Not a bad scent at all, just kind of... uninspiring. If you wear this, you'll get compliments, because people will think "Oh, he's wearing cologne, how thoughtful.", but that's not the reason I wear cologne. I wear cologne out of enjoyment, and this one while pleasant isn't interesting in any way. Neutral.

Iris Oriental / Iris Taïzo 14 by Parfumerie Generale

Unbelievable scent. Not strictly feminine, it's marketed as a shared scent. It's so sweet, sensuous, and ! long lasting! Just an amazing scent, a strong five out of five.

21st January, 2007

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Just peel and Orange. Same effect, though slightly more bitter.

18 January, 2007

Rocabar by Hermès

Hmmm... For some reason, I can smell Dill as the top note for about an hour. After that, it's an OK scent, but nothing special. DO NOT get this thinking it is "John Varvatos' rich uncle". It's not sweet, or powdery. This scent doesn't really stick out, but I have gotten one or two compliments from it. *On a side note, Terre de Hermes has the same Dill opening when I smell it, so neither of these two fragrances wow me, but try them for yourself, you might like them.

18 January, 2007

Brit for Men by Burberry

One of my favorite scents of all time, this will never fail to get compliments, lasts a good length of time, and just makes you feel good when you smell it.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

I am a real big fan of this scent, one of the few winners from Lacoste.

The defining notes of this have to be the Rum and the Juniper. Looking at the top notes would leave you to believe it is a fruity scent, but it isn't, and isn't boozy like other fragrances with alcoholic beverage notes (Unforgivable?). Overall, a great scent, VERY unique, and very wearable, but those with sensitive noses should be wary, it has great sillage, and is a very strong scent overall. Enjoy!

Metal Jeans Men by Versace

What a delicious scent! A classic in my book, this is a fruity scent that doesn't smell fruity. With all the watermelon and grapefruit, you would expect a Lacoste RED, but this scent is just classy and subtle. The problem with this frag is its longevity, and three hours will find you scentless. Definite try if you like Versace's other scents!

JHL by Aramis

Got a decant of this off a a basenoter, and I have to say, WTF mates? This IS a classic... Grandmother's scent. It reminds me of a bead shop I used to go into, I had a lot of fun there, but that scent is just so... old. I try and try again, but the novelty of smelling like your favorite Great Aunt eludes me.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Wow, what a great scent. This is one of the colognes that got me started on cologne. It's bold, loud, sophisticated, and delicious. People who say it's dated are the same ones saying JHL is a classic (NOT dated) scent. I prefer to call this a classic, and everywhere I wear it, the verdict is the same "WOW, you smell soooo good! What is that cologne?" Guys might give you a weird eye for standing out so much, but you got to love it. It is a great citrus/Chyrpe, and I find it one of the main three colognes in my wardrobe.

Thundra by Profumum

I recently bought a bottle of this ($180) after sampling it from LuckyScent. I have to say this is the most unique and beautiful scent I have ever tried (And owned). After the "Musty Leaves" smell at the beginning, the drydown leads to a complex Floral. It's not too feminine though, just right to be worn by both sexes. By far my favorite scent in a medium sized wardrobe. Try it, then buy it.

19 October, 2006

Touch for Men by Burberry

This is a very original scent that I purchased blind based on the recommendations recieved here. While some people expressed concerns of this scent being too sweet, harsh, or even stimulating allergetic reactions, I have found this scent to be quite pleasing, and a staple of the Burberry line. The scent itselft does not have the Ho-Hum smell of most crap put out by clothing designers today, and at first I didn't like it. After wearing it for a night, and letting it cool down into something less abrasive to the nose, I LOVED it. Girls would stop me and ask me what I was wearing, there boyfriend NEEDS some. The most prominent notes are the Vetiver, Oakmoss, Violet, and Pepper. It is a great scent for a night out, or even at the office. A word to the wise; two sprays is enough.

08 October, 2006