Reviews by phibess

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

now this is pretty bad. vile toxic chemical DDT attack. dead alcoholic kidneys boiled in old pernicious toilet cleaner. should be called Creeping Neoplasma bottled. zero character, zero class. stay away. yuck.

25 December, 2007

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

All's been already said here and although I'm usually reluctant to sing praises and rave about stuff let me say this - from the very start to the last fading whiff this beauty is for me the single utmost divine and out-of-this-world perfection in a bottle. I'm not being nostalgic here, I've discovered PPH only after it'd been discontinued. I'm not so easy to please either and have been, let's just say, not so impressed by quite a few universally acclaimed classics (Antaeus, New York, JHL, Tiffany for Men, to name a few) so let's be serious here - if there's anything out there that smells better than this I want to know its name please. And how could someone think of this scent as dated is beyond my comprehension. There is not a single molecule in PPH that smells dated to me, Patou Pour Homme EDT is timelessness personified/scentified. Besides, I consider PPH to be a very sensual, almost romantic (and 'as good as some sex', yes pluran) scent rather than formal. Thank you Mr Jean Kerleo, this is art and you're on par with the greatest artists in my book.

And you dear Mr Markus Strobel, P&G's vice president of global fine fragrances, are you out of your mind not to have brought this back yet? Do your homework please, find out how worshipped and sought after PPH is, how much it's selling for these days and above all SMELL IT. Then quickly re-launch (at least limited) production of the ORIGINAL (no'tweaking' with aquatics please) Patou Pour Homme. Just do it or stick with selling diapers and detergents.

08 December, 2007

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Some people refer to this as dry - I don't get that, for me it's the opposite - sweet, thick and sirupy. Thank god for the incensy note which makes it wearable for me. M7 reminds me of Chypre Rouge (laced with Gucci PH) from Lutens, even the colors (bottle vs juice) are similar. This thick beast is def. a quality frag with very good staying power and sillage. I just wish it smelled less sugary/candy-like to my nose.

13 November, 2007

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

MR is not a very complex scent and tries too hard too impress imo. I love its delicious beginning which has more to offer than the sickly sweet drydown which I can't stand any more and is btw very similar to T4T base. This is a romantic dinner/night out scent with good longevity, would never wear this to an office. There are better alternatives in this category imo, Angelique Encens being one of them.

09 November, 2007

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

Sorry but I expected a bit more - yes it smells expensive, refined and supersmooth. My problem with Tiffany for Men is that it's way too smooth and soft/delicate, safe and completely lacks an edge. Also, it smells too powdery to my nose, a touch of woody/spicy counterpoint would make this composition more exciting and interesting imo. For me it's only half-finished, needs another element. A bit on the feminine side as well.

09 November, 2007

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

This is an incredibly good smelling concoction. The initial burst is..phenomenal, I don't even know how to describe it,.. mimosa, cinnamon and brandy with hints of tobacco and leather? The drydown..well, what drydown? It's gone within an hour on me, I could seriously use up a full bottle in a week. Buy if you're ready to reapply every 2 hours or bathe in it, I just don't see how could one overapply this stuff - partly because it's so good whereas not 'in your face', partly for it's poor longevity. Hope Burberry will come up with EdP of this soon.

05 October, 2006

Purple Water by Asprey

I got a small sprayer of this juice and whoa..smells like another cheap drugstore citrus frag to my nose, rather bland and one-dimensional, in fact, it reminds me of one of those citrus air refreshers or washing up liquids. After about 10-15 minutes the orange starts to appear but the lemon is still too dominant. def. lacks originality imo.

05 October, 2006

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Bad stuff. Smells like some bathroom cleaner and limescale remover and what's worse this is what every high school macho puts on before he goes to a party. DG Homme, hair gel and golden chain. Synthetic and embarrassing. Avoid it.

08 September, 2006

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Can't believe how good this juice is and how come I'd always ignored this - I guess because it's just Hugo Boss.. Had it been a niche frag more people here would have sung odes about this I suppose. The scent is so smooth and silky. Even better that the similar Endymion and has a decent longevity too. Silk in a bottle.

07 September, 2006

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Having worn Gucci PH for over a year and loving it, I must give this thumbs up. I would probably even prefer this to GpH as it seems a bit more complex and not as sweet as GpH. It is also more smokey than GpH which is always a good thing and it's pretty long lasting on me as well. An exquisite fall/winter man's fragrance.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

I would like Avignon much more if it didn't smell exactly like instant cola drink I remember they use to sell when I was a kid (I don't see it around any more). You poured the powder into a glass, added water and made your own Pepsi or Coca Cola rip-off. When it got flat/stale it smelled just like Avignon. Flat Cola anyone?

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I can't believe someone can like this. Smells like stale musty pastry or mouldy tangerines. And where's the rose?

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

This is suprisingly a frag I use most often. It's not the most original scent in my collection (although it's still excellent and very pleasant) but I found out it's the only one I not only like but can wear 24/7 and never get sick of it. The same cannot be said about any other frag I've ever owned or own inc. niche ones (e.g. Chergui, Knize Ten, Czech and Speake 88). Very strange.

Envy for Men by Gucci

I don't know what exactly it is but there is a note in Envy which smells very synthetic, almost nauseating to me. I found it very pronounced esp. during the first cca 30 min. After awhile it gets better but I still can't wear this frag. That stench ruins the whole, otherwise good, cologne for me so I'm using my 100ml bottle as a toilet air refresher for now and hope it runs out soon. Floris Santal = Envy without the synthetic stench, it's so much better!

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

After reading all these rave reviews I though I had to try this one and since they didn't have a tester in the store I bought a 50ml bottle of Egoiste blindly. Def. a quality frag however, it's so cloyingly sweet on me I have to wash it off after 2 hours as it gives me headache and nausea. I wish it had another note/accord in it (citrus, tobacco..) that would offset its overall sweetness. It's just toooo sweet and now it's on my swap list..

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

hm, nice but.. the drydown is very similar to Gucci Pour Homme, at least the basenotes seem to me almost identical. So if you really like this fragrance I suggest try GPM as well, you may get almost the same for less than 1/3 the price of this.

14 August, 2006