Reviews by maggie

Parure by Guerlain

Very nice. It is still available as eau de toilette (bee bottle like Apres L'Ondee). Lovely, soft, grown-up.
15th December, 2007

Ysatis by Givenchy

Boy do i lurve this; luscious, elegant, dries down softly animale. what's not to like?

Vanisia by Creed

Hmm. Not a classic vanilla; it's dry, even some sharpness to it. Not sure if it's a keeper, but i'm considering it. Nice option.

Fantasia de Fleurs by Creed

Amazing how a scent can be over 100 years old and so wearable. Fresh, floral with a "shocking" dose of musk. Very nice indeed.

Panthère de Cartier by Cartier

Totally agree with calchic on eau legere. it was a very nice surprise, esp. the drydown. light yet sexy. waiting to compare to original...
11th May, 2007

Calypso Ambre by Calypso Christiane Celle

Here's the great thing about Calypso. Mimosa stands alone, but Ambre, as Gardenia are as close, equal or better than many scents out there. Can't afford
Creed's Angelique? Try this. Gardenia can match Fracas. Just my observation.

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

An extraordinary scent, exquistely feminine and superior to No.5. I found a tiny original on ebay (God Bless). Bravo to LLP securing the formula.

J'ai Osé by J'ai Osé

I have had this scent in my stable since it first came out- pawned it off Mom. I don't wear it often, but- it's there. Maybe that's the definition of a signature scent.

Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris

Very sexy and wearable.
11th March, 2007

1000 by Jean Patou

I got prime samples of this along with Joy. Both are still top rank quality. This is Patou's sexy perfume, quietly, refined. Woodsy, soft, mossy, fern-like. Really impressive. I'd much rather wear something that will make a man mutter "what the hell was that?" and want to invistigate further rather than get the Tex Avery response ;).
21st February, 2007

Joy by Jean Patou

Here is, as seen in all foregoing reviews, the rub. Perfume is a highly personal matter. What smells delicious on one, smells like vingar on another. Here is what I can say about Joy.

I've sniffed and spritzed this before at some mid-level retail stores. No magic. Recently I got a set of samples which were either from Neiman Marcus or directly from Paris. Night and day.

The Joy EDT was rosy, soft, ultra-feminine. High quality. What I expected from No.5 and sorely missed. It does not scream sex. I found it warm, alluring, soignee.
21st February, 2007

Calypso Gardenia by Calypso Christiane Celle

Very nice. Fresh, as Lizzie said, but still instantly recognizable as gardenia. Warm, womanly never offensive or trashy. Better than Chanel's (which is still one of their best), because Chanel's is a more complex, finetooled, almost berry-like scent.

Noix de Tuberéuse by Miller Harris

Miller Harris fragrances are def.high quality and of a high degree of natural ingredients, so much so that I'm not sure I'd be able wear them in the summertime.

That said, I found NdT an even higher quality than Fracas (which more than one person described as smelling like bubble-gum). Two, it is heady and strong, so wear with care. Somewhere else it was mentioned women love tuberose scents, while I have yet to meet a man who likes them. give them vanilla and musk and you're it. God bless them :)

I guess this means save this one for lunch with the girls or scare the broads at work :)

Coeur de Fleur by Miller Harris

Ach, where do I begin. This is so lovely and ladylike and womanly, without being prissy. I was bowled over.

As with the other Miller Harris scents, it does boast a high element of natural essences, therefore somebody who suffers with hayfever may have to do some juggling with it.

Def. loverly tho.

Calypso Mimosa by Calypso Christiane Celle

Just lovely. Fresh, sweet, flowery feminine, yet not cloying. It may need refreshing during the day, but sometimes that's a good thing. Dolce vita, dolce far niente scent. Can create a nice balance.

Ce Soir Ou Jamais by Annick Goutal

Hmm, whilst yet footloose and fancy free-it's always good to note what's available to our feminine arsenal. I adore nahema, but this is nice.
14th February, 2007

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

There is truth to the notion certain scents work best with certain body chemistries.

On certain women this is HEAVEN. The rest of us are left to shake our heads in dismay and plain old envy. It never blossoms to the beauty it simply is on these other women.

ps. for a fragrance that is produced on such a huge mass-market scale, it is a masterpiece of quality. Truly.

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Not bad. Strict yet flowery but inoffensive. Haven't decided if it's for me but it could be very fitting for the right woman, type Stephane Audran.

Chance by Chanel

Oy gewalt. Like a very pretty girl with the personality depth of a paper plate. Pass.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Please make it stop. An affront of fake fruit and brain cell-eroding chemicals that reminds of nothing human or natural. It made the cat and the man recoil in horror and me run for the soap.

Do yourself a favor. Save your dosh, buy anything from Woolworth's on the shelf and you still wouldn't be cheated. No shame in Tabu, Charlie, Norell, Love's Baby Soft, Intimate, Chantilly et al compared to this disgrace.

At least they don't pretend to be mink.

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Yes, the Eau de Toilette blend of Cristalle is still very lovely and seems to have kept its quality. This is the "good' Chanel.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

I do concur with jon remy. something's been happening to the Chanel fragrances. The recent batches have smelled different, watered-down and cheap. Worrisome.

11th February, 2007

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Putrid. Should be renamed "Appalling". A vulgar, noxious cloud that seems to be the choice of females who already draw enough attention to themselves by their unpleasant nature (clawing, materialistic, shallow and predictably difficult and demanding towards all lesser mortals) and make themselves only appreciated by their abscence. Like this insult to Mlle. Chnel's philosphy 'Luxe is simplicity". Next!
11th February, 2007

Gardénia by Chanel

this is great. and it's true, it doesn't smell like GARDENIA. Classy.
06th February, 2007

No. 5 by Chanel

Lucky No.5 had Marilyn to tote it and now the impossibly romantic Luhrman commercial with Nicole Kidman. Chanel was above all- a top showwoman. Gifted designer.

This scent is, however difficult to wear and overrated. Cold. Unsexy. Sorry.
30th January, 2007

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne

Yup. definetely filthy. I was about 14 when this came out. My mother had gotten a tiny card vial as a sample and left it aside, uninterested. I sniffed it once, blushed up over my ears and slunk away, as if I had been caught reading a dirty book. Oh my virgin senses. Careful where you wear it.
29th January, 2007

Nahéma by Guerlain

I've come to like this very much. I'm too delicate looking to pull off a full-blow oriental without coming across like Thumbelina wanting to be Verushka. :)

The note top notes are indeed voluminous, but I must say not cheap-smelling. The delight of this scent is the warm, luscious dry-down, indeed Mata Hari like- but regular-cat size, not a snarling panther :)
14th January, 2007

Frangipane by Chantecaille

I tried all four of Chantecaille's scents, namely Wisteria, Tiare, Frangipane and Le Jasmin. First of, much better quality than expected.

The first (Wisteria) was too musty for my taste, Tiare was watery (not unpleasant, but not me), Frangipane very good, but also not something I could relate to.

Le Jasmin was, however, just right. A delight. Discreet yet sexy. I'd wear it all year round, but esp. good in the warmer weather.

29th October, 2006

Calèche Eau Délicate by Hermès

The "weakest" of the four scents I'e tried. Still better than many others out there. A soft, fruity top dries down quickly, it doersn't last long, but if you have experienced New York on a typical summer's day- that's about all you can take. Feminine, sweet, light.
19th September, 2006

Amazone (original) by Hermès

A really great outdoor or run about town scent. Casual, but not too citrusy, still feminine. Thats the thing with the Hermès scents. Always feminine, but not like a "poule" or blowsy.
19th September, 2006