Reviews by Aiona

Aiona's avatar
    Aiona

Mark Jewel by Mark

I've only smelled this once, and it was on someone else. It smelled SO GOOD! Ambery, flowery, musky. It smells a lot like a perfume that was around in the 1980's, that I never identified. Feminine, with some real sillage, which is why I was able to catch the scent of it on a coworker. The description by Avon says there are fruity notes in it, but what I smell is mostly flowery. Perhaps a little gourmand. The complete opposite of cool aquatics. It's like a warm, pudgy pillow of scent.

06 May, 2008

Weekend for Men by Burberry

It's funny to me to see all the reviews by men who think this smells most like a women's perfume, because that was my thought as well! I sniffed the Burberry Weekend for Men on a card, and liked it very much! On the other hand, I sniffed Burberry Weekend for Women on a card, and my nose recoiled in horror! 'Nothing alike!

I sprayed a little of this on myself, and it was all lemony-lime and bergamot! I liked it! Then, many hours later, it was still like a lime Lifesaver on my skin. Other women told me it smelled nice, and when I told them it was a male scent, they were surprised, too!

It's a nice summery kind of scent. Long lasting on me too (>6 hours). 'Wouldn't come off with soap and water, or alcohol.

02 May, 2008

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

I was feeling nostalgic for Cristalle EdT, and not knowing that the EdP is a completely different formulation, I purchased it, and was a little surprised at how it differed from my memory of it. It wasn't until I checked on Basenotes that I realized my mistake.

The EdP definitely smells more floral, to me. It lacks the metallic sharpness that I remember from the EdT. I thought it smelled fairly nice on my skin, unlike the EdT, which somehow turns sour. My husband, however, found it completely vomitous, and told me so with great force.

Today, I also encountered a lady at work who was wearing it, and something about it made me feel like retching. Perhaps it was the lady, herself. But, in any case, with two episodes of nausea, neither of which can be attributed to pregnancy, I've decided the Cristalle EdP is just not for me.

23 April, 2008

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

We had a perfume sale at work, and I sampled a ton of perfumes that all smelled alike, until I came to this one. I was turned off by the name -- "Pink Sugar"? I was thinking it must smell like that cheap stuff I saw in the kiddie aisle at the department store. But, I gave it a try, and wore it for a good long 2 hours before I went back and bought some.

Like the other reviewers, I was amused to see that someone thinks this is a unisex scent. It's a perfume for people who like to smell tasty. . . . and if you're male, and you want to smell tasty, then "Pink Sugar" will probably do the trick.

I noticed there's no listing at the top, about what the notes are. I'm not good at this kind of thing, but I'd guess that there is synthetic cotton candy, of course, but also lots of vanilla and amber. The base note is the same one as the no-longer-being-made Yardley's Apothecary "Make Me Melt" shea butter lotion, which I miss so much.

The longevity is good. At the end of the day (about 6 hours later), my husband could smell it on me the minute he walked into the house. The sillage is also pretty intense. From just a small spritz, my coworker said she could smell it from outside of my office, even. But that also might have to do with the shoddy bottle -- which when sprayed ends up dripping, not spraying. So since I work with chemotherapy patients, I probably can't wear this to work because I'll probably make some people sick. But it's something I am totally going to wear at home, where I might need to be tasty.

07 December, 2007 (Last Edited: 25 May, 2008)

Alien by Thierry Mugler

The name intrigued me. The purple bottle with silver-colored metal, that drew me too. The lady at the counter sprayed it on a cotton ball, and it's PURPLE too! I've never seen a purple perfume before this one. I rubbed it on my skin, and it smells just like Poison to me. Poison, the perfume, that is. But the Alien bottle is way cooler.

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

This perfume smells like Curve, to me. And I cannot wear it, for the same reasonsI won't wear Curve. It reminds my husband of all irritating women he used to encounter when he worked in a movie theater.

Cabotine by Grès

This perfume starts out smelling like Diamonds and Emeralds (by Elizabeth Taylor), and then later smells like Dilys (by Laura Ashley), only without the alcoholic breath part. It lasts a long time on my skin. Not my kind of scent, as it smells kind of bath oil-like, and bath beads kind of make me nauseous. But this perfume is a little more floral than a bath bead, and hence, it's actually a little enjoyable, after the initial bath-bead smell.

Spirit for Women by Antonio Banderas

This perfume is just as stinky as its male counterpart. But, I had to buy some! There is some powerful initial smell -- bergamot? -- that just blasts me away when I spray it on. Then there's something else. Something stinky! Then there's sandalwood and some kind of white amber, which comes out on the drydown -- about 12 hours later. I love the drydown smell, far more than the initial stinky smell. I can't stop wearing it! It's awful!

My husband thinks it's far too strong. So I wear it just for myself.

Shalimar by Guerlain

My dad hates perfumes. Everytime my mom would come home from the mall, smelling of the latest scent, he would gripe about how she stank! Well, my mother was shocked when she came home smelling of Shalimar, and my dad asked her what she was wearing. He actually liked a perfume for once! My mom was amazed, and she bought some Shalimar. When they went to visit my dad's mother, my mom gave her a bottle of Shalimar, and she loved it too.

I have a feeling that the sandalwood triggers some kind of scent-memory in my dad and his mother. It might have something to do with the fact that they are from Thailand, and they burn a lot of sandalwood incense there. For me, Shalimar is just another perfume.

The opening notes smell like Vitalis to me. (Does anyone even know what Vitalis is anymore?) Vitalis is the hair grease my dad used to use. Sharp and green-smelling.

After that it smells like public bathroom freshener. Then maybe an hour later, it smells like a powdery chypre -- like baby powder. That's what it smells like on my skin, anyway.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Peanuts. When I first smelled the bottle, I thought, "PEANUTS!?" It changed on my skin though. I totally don't smell the 'peach' that others adore. It smells old and musty to me, like my very first piano teacher's house. Bvlgari_BLV said it smells like 'flesh', and I agree. It smell like an unwashed old lady.

Ex'cla.ma'tion Blush by Coty

Sharp, metallic floral smell. Strong and long lasting. This perfume was great for blasting away the smell of the cadavers we dissected in medical school. I wore it every day in first year medical school for that reason!

Rapture by Victoria's Secret

This review is edited from the original September 3, 2006 review, which was not very informative, and perhaps confusing.

I first smelled this perfume in in the early 1990's, because one of my dormitory mates wore it. It smelled marvelous on her! So I bought it, too. I think Rapture was the first perfume that made me realize that what may smell good on someone else, doesn't necessarily smell the same on myself.

The dominant note to me is jasmine. I love jasmine, so that explains why I like it, even though it's a floral perfume. It also has a bit of a coconut-y smell, and definitely sandalwood.

It does have a good amount of sillage, and moderate longevity (< 8 hours for me). And yes, mis.anderson and cedriceccentric are right. It has a definitely "older" feel. I might compare its smell to that of Coco Chanel, but a lot less loud. And they really do not smell the same. Just that Rapture *is* a floral. Not a chypre, and not aquatic. No patchouli in this one. :)

03 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 26 March, 2011)

Ciara by Revlon

I love this perfume. It's so strong. You can smell it a mile away. And it's so distinctive. I've only known one woman who claimed it for her signature scent, and she was a most remarkable lady. When she stepped into a room, you noticed -- because you could smell her! I agree with the above reviews that this perfume is for a special kind of person. Definitely not a subtle scent. I love it, but even I can't wear it because it would be like wearing a dark purple evening dress with stiletto heels and a feather boa to substitute teach at a Sunday school.

Curve for Women by Liz Claiborne

I personally love this scent. It changes on my skin, and smells pretty darn good. My husband on the other hand, hates it, because it reminds him of all the trashy women he had to deal with when he worked at a movie theater. I guess that's because it was so darn popular back then. Needless to say, I haven't worn it since.

Dilys by Laura Ashley

My mother bought this for me when I was in college, and I swear, it smells like someone's breath after they've had a dozen beers. Fruity, ketone-y, hypoglycemic-y. Very fitting for a college student. I wear it sometimes, just because I loved the the bottle it comes in.

Halston Couture by Halston

This was the first perfume I bought for myself, and it was kind of a bad choice for a teenager. It's a very strong and sultry scent. The oak moss makes for a very strong woodsy base note, I'm guessing. Then there's some kind of amber in it, and they fight raucously together. I wasn't nearly old enough to wear this perfume, but as I got older, it was definitely something I could wear in the evenings. It changes on my skin, becoming more intense and actually kind of makes me dizzy.

I know they don't make this anymore, and that's a shame. It is a very different scent from the the other Halston perfumes. Halston Couture is the only one that came with a sterling silver top.

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

I really don't know why this scent was so popular when I was in college. One of my male dorm-mates called it "man repellent." However one of my female friends said that her boyfriend loved it. To each his own! I personally think it has a very boring sour smell. My female cousins, however, all love it.

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

My old roomie from Singapore used to wear this, because her boyfriend practically drooled whenever she did. I liked the way it smelled on her, too, but on myself, UGH! No way. It's quite strong and metallic, like sucking on a copper penny, and it kind of makes me nauseous if I don't wash it off within 20 minutes. It must be our different skin chemistries.

Very citrusy. And you can smell it a mile away.

Spirit by Antonio Banderas

This is a stinky cologne. But, just as with Obsession for Men in the late 1980's, the cutest guys are wearing it. So it becomes very distinctive for me. I follow it with my nose, and it leads me to a hottie. I wish I knew what it was that makes it stink so bad! The bergamot, perhaps?

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

I saw this perfume at Wal-Mart, and I really wanted to sniff a tester first, but couldn't find any! So, Ms. Hilton's company ended up with my $9.99 for a small bottle. It isn't bad. It smells a whole lot like "Sunflowers," actually, and there was a time when I really liked that scent. However, these days, I'd prefer something a little less girly to wear to work. This would have been a nice scent if I were 10 years younger.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Back in 1985, I accidentally left a chicken fried steak in one of my purses for two weeks. I could not find the source of the smell! It was most irritating! When I finally found it, it had leaked grease all in my purse. I couldn't get the smell out of that purse, afterwards.

A few years later, I noticed there were a whole lot of guys going around smelling like a two-week old chicken fried steak. Turns out, they're wearing this new cologne called "Obsession for Men." Even now, I can't smell a guy with this on, without thinking of rotten chicken fried steak.

The ironic thing is, all the cutest guys were wearing this. So I get weird mixed feelings from smelling this cologne! Revulsion and attraction. . . .

You can smell a guy wearing this a mile away. It's strong and has staying power.