Reviews by tvlampboy

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Andron for Men by Jovan

Too sexy for its shirt, this.

Pity they discontinued this erotic drugstore wonder -- it always got the results its owner aimed for.

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli

A perfectly lovely drugstore frag -- the perfect choice for a young girl's first perfume. I remember very fondly how my first grade teacher wore this -- she was fresh out of college and it fit her perfectly.

Soft, jasmine-y goodness, with just a touch of lilac. Gorgeous drydown for a frag so cheap and readily available.

May they never decide to discontinue this affordable classic.

Summer Hill by Crabtree & Evelyn

Bright and fresh fragrance, very suitable for hot and humid days when a "pick me up" is needed. The lily is definite but not overpowering. One of C&E's best.

Spring Rain by Crabtree & Evelyn

A fine fragrance for women, but an even better oil for home fragrancing. (Some things just work better that way.)

Lady Stetson by Stetson

Amazing what one can do with cheap musk and denatured alcohol -- one can almost make it resemble perfume.

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

A*men without the burned tar and scorched cocoa notes. (If you can imagine such a thing.)

Far too sweet a concoction for my tastes, granted, but still far better than that eerily similar Thierry Mugler demon that haunts my nightmares and gives me migraines.

15 December, 2007

America for Men by Perry Ellis

Another bland Nineties frag in the same vein as CKOne and Tommy, only with less going on than either.

I had had high hopes for this one given that it has palmarosa (one of my favorites) in its pyramid.

I'm just glad (given my subsequent disappointment) that I didn't spend more on this one.

15 December, 2007

Calandre by Paco Rabanne

A wonderfully tailored and almost androgynous beauty here. I love the fabulous juxtaposition of the bright, sparkling aldehydes and the dry, seductive sandalwood. Throw in the captivating vetiver in the drydown and you have one helluva classic frag.

14 December, 2007

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The leather and iris alike were far too subtle for my tastes and the apricot too sweet and strong -- even the cardamom was overpowered by the fruity notes. Neutral rating.

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Who KNEW that Jovan re-bottled its Musk Oil and sold it for $110.00 a bottle (plus shipping)?

What a colossal disappointment this one was, though. I want to give the frag itself a thumbs up, as I've always liked Jovan Musk Oil, but I'm giving it a thumbs down to show my disappointment in having discovered a pleasant but remarkably commonplace white musk being marketed as something special and costly.

Sa Majesté la Rose by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I get nothing animalic here -- just pure rose, artfully blended and perfectly balanced. For the price difference, I'd go for the much cheaper Tea Rose, true, but both are too femme for my tastes for everyday wear anyway. (Around the house? Another matter altogether.)

Not my favorite rose frag, no -- that would belong to the original Ungaro III, or perhaps Voleur des Roses. But it's still a damn fine rose scent. Whether or not it's worth the Lutens price tag? I'll leave that one to your discretion.

Louve by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Vidal Sassoon shampoo it is, with enough almonds and cherries to make a marzipan factory worker swoon.

Lovely drydown, though, and yes, ubuandibeme got it right -- very in the Chergui vein.

Wouldn't pay the outrageous price per bottle, though -- I don't like almonds THAT much.

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A rich gourmand that was sweet on me, yet not cloying. Surprised that Lutens doesn't market this one as a unisex frag (as he does so many others of its type), as it was surprisingly warm and NOT egregiously feminine on me (nor on my other half).

The licorice/anise note worked on me, too, and this is especially odd given my checkered past with that type of note. I think it was the clever use of wood notes that kept the vanilla from getting cloying and the licorice from becoming overpowering.

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Sweet? Definitely -- typically Lutensesque in this regard. Rich? Yes, just as I expected. Floral? Without a doubt -- enough tuberose here to bowl you over, and osmanthus aplenty. But satisfying? I don't know -- the jury's out on that one. I'll go ahead and give DN a thumbs up, but only with the proviso that I'd have liked it a helluva lot better had I smelled it on a woman instead of on my own skin. IMHO, no guy (however daring) could ever pull this puppy off.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Finally -- a Lutens Orientalist frag without the cloying miasma of treacle and the overwrought loukhum notes. No dates, no raisins, no sugar-crusted schmutzies to get in the way of the amber here.

A sexy, dry and vibrant amber -- not sweet like Montale's Blue Amber, and without the medicinal aoud notes in many of Montale's other ambers.

MPerez is right is his assessment -- this hyah is some sexy-assed stuff.

09 December, 2007

Index Patchouli Pure by Fresh

If H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9 is simply Givenchy's Gentleman re-tooled with a few grassy notes, then Index Patchouli Pure is Gentleman re-tooled with just a bit of added tonka and no (listed) civet.

Wonderful and readily available alternative for those who miss Gentleman in its earthy, sexy, patchouli-laden original form.

08 December, 2007

Cannelle Orange by L'Occitane

JDBIII:
    I commiserate with you -- this rank sh*t should be outlawed, or at least slapped with a federally mandated warning sticker.

(What WAS L'Occitane thinking?)

By the way, my deepest condolences to your poor sister.

08 December, 2007

Mare by Beth Terry Creative Universe

Robyogi says it best -- scroll down to read his review.

Seaside? Hardly. Bright greenhouse in the spring? You betcha.

30th November, 2007

Black Aoud by Montale

I agree with pluran in that "Black Aoud is ultimately patchouli, oud and musk competing with each other in a frenzied orgy."

I love its sillage and its consistency, but have to admit that I was amazed by its lack of complexity, esp. given the price.

29 November, 2007

Tumulte pour Homme by Christian Lacroix

Crisp and warm and sexy winter fragrance -- just ordered a bottle after having smelled it for the first time. It's my favorite cedar frag thus far -- I guess I just prefer incense with my cedar (Tumulte) to lemons (Terre d'Hermes). Call me blasphemous, but there you have it.

26 November, 2007

Orange Spice by Creed

Warm and spicy half-brother to Kouros, yes. Not quite as animalic and oily, no, and obviously with a higher price tag. Still, the similarities can't be denied. A very nice Creed for the edt line, with superb longevity and sillage. Avoid, however, if you've always hated Kouros.

24 November, 2007

Signoricci by Nina Ricci

Easily one of the very best citrus-based frags ever formulated. Having over-worn Eau Sauvage in my college days, I'm a little wary of citrus frags to start with -- a little usually goes a long way with me.

Nevertheless, I keep coming back to Signoricci time and again. The bright but dry lemon and the woody petitgrain make for a superb combination every time.

Let's just hope the house of Nina Ricci doesn't discontinue this lemony gem -- Ricci already mucked up royally by having discontinued Ricci Club a few years back.

22 November, 2007

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Yet another monotonously "fresh" fragrance that is more about marketing hype than quality or talent. Not bad as these sorts of scents go, I suppose, but by no means an outstanding frag, either. (Faint praise is the most damning.)

21st November, 2007

Fleurs de Citronnier by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It may have lemon flowers, you bet, but I get pure orange blossom here. Light and uplifting and complex and heady all at once. The honey notes are especially nice here, but without coming off as cloying.

Definitely NOT like any other Lutens I've smelled to date. A big thumbs-up for FdC.

La Haie Fleurie du Hameau by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is pure jasmine at its intoxicating best, with honeysuckle delicately layered on top. Rich vanilla base that clings to the skin long after the sharp sweetness of the initial jasmine is gone.

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

One of Polge's greatest, hands down. Goes on very sweet and citrusy, yes, but dries down to a warm ambery sandalwood that is not to be believed.

Probably not the most casual of fragrances, no -- this stuff reeks of tailored suits and boardrooms. (DEFINITE power frag -- right up there with Balenciaga pour Homme, VC&A, Antaeus, Bois de Portugal etc.)

Easily one of the best American fragrances ever created. If you've not tried it, you owe yourself the opportunity.

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Baron has it nailed! It's the scent of Chik-O-Sticks! (Those of you from outside the South and/or Southwest may have no clue what Baron and I mean by this. It's a Texan candy made of coconut and peanuts.) A gourmand? Yes, if only at first.

The sweet nuttiness with hints of coconut soons dies down, though, leaving the wearer with a positively delicious sandalwood base.

Highly recommended.

Nutmeg & Ginger by Jo Malone

I concur with both reviews below.

Nutmeg, anyone?

16 November, 2007

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

A slightly bitter, none too sweet take on the overdone grapefruit. Really a great "layering" frag, but not my favorite when worn alone.

16 November, 2007

Galanos by Galanos

Rich, decadent stuff. Marvelous late Seventies/early Eighties power frag. Not for gals who can't hold their own, though. (If you want Eighties Lite, try Paris.)

My only regret about Galanos is that I always think of Nancy Reagan when I smell it (he was "her" couturier, after all). Still, this Democrat's very fond of Galanos' (sadly discontinued) juice.

14 November, 2007