Reviews by tvlampboy

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

1872 for Men by Clive Christian

Goes on very feminine -- at least on my skin. Smells at first like a hybrid of Estee Lauder's Aliage and Private Collection, believe it or not. (At least on me, that is.) You can definitely smell the petitgrain for the first 20 minutes at least -- very sweet.

Dries down to a beautiful, deep muskiness -- hard to describe. (Smells little like it did going on.) Sadly, almost no longevity on me. Wouldn't care so much were it not almost $300.00 USD for a 1.7 oz. bottle.

Much as I like it, it WON'T be on my Christmas list -- that same money would buy me three bottles of Havana Reserva, or three (tester) bottles of Bois de Portugal.

Thumbs up, but only from a purely critical point of view.

Sheer Halston by Halston

I wouldn't describe this one as juvenile, no. It's a very sexy scent, IMHO -- much lighter than the original and soft in a musky kind of way. Might be more appropriate for a younger woman, yes, but certainly not "juvenile."

Don't see this one much anymore, although it appears to be in production still.

Halston by Halston

I have a definite love/hate relationship with this puppy. I mean, on one hand, it's a rich and woody scent that (IMHO) could be classified as unisex. (Also, along with Youth Dew and Tea Rose, it remains a perennial favorite for making sachets and drawer liners around my house.) But all that aside, the violet notes can -- and sometimes do -- just bowl me over. (WOW -- talk about cloying!) I still keep coming back to this one, and often buy it for my aunt (she loves it even more). Still, the first 30 minutes after application always make me want to put a clothespin on my nose. Weird.

Fracas for Men by Robert Piguet

Licorice scented, soap -- CHEAP licorice-scented floral soap. Probably first discovered in a toxic waste site, no less.

Cheap, tacky bottle and horrible plastic lid, to boot.

31st October, 2006 (Last Edited: 24th June, 2008)

Sentiment for Men by Escada

By no means the best of Escada's creations. (Give me Escada PH and/or Magnetism any day over this one.) Still, it's not bad in a warm, wintery, peppery, synthetic kind of way. Doesn't last more than three hours on me, though, and gives off only modest sillage.

In short, am giving this one a thumbs up, but only because I can't say I hate it.

Vétiver de Puig by Antonio Puig

Pretty sweet deal for the money. Let's say, for example, that Guerlain's Vetiver is too earthy and/or citrus-y for you, and CdG's Vetiverru (sp?) is too avant-garde. Carven's is too medicinal and downright nasty (IMHO, and probably yours), and budget is an issue (i.e., sure as hell ain't gonna be Malle's divine Vétiver Extraordinaire.) Voila -- it's Vétiver de Puig!

Damn good juice for the low price.

Tamerisk by Mary Kay

I'd love to have another bottle of this stuff, yes, but can have a nice Diptyque or Villoresi for what one bottle of this (discontinued) juice often goes for on eBay.

I found this one very brisk and spicy, with a warm, mellow musk "dry down." It was one of my favorites my senior year in high school, but (gulp!) that was over 20 years ago now.

Green Water by Jacques Fath

Bracing tonic of a fragrance -- perfect for those who love lemon, gin & tonic, and other clean, brisk scents. I don't wear Green Water more than five or six times a year, but I genuinely love it. It's a definite summertime fragrance, at least in my book. (I need to wear this one more often, come to think of it!)

Paris Premières Roses by Yves Saint Laurent

A watered down version of the original classic. Bring up "Alba roses" all you will -- I find this one bland alongside the great original itself.

Yvresse / Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent

A light fragrance, and one which truly "sparkles" every bit as much as champagne. Be that as it may, I'll take Paris any day of the week when it comes to YSL's lighter feminine scents, as Champagne (or Yvresse, or whatever you want to call it) has fruity notes I'd far rather see replaced with rosy or other floral notes. (Hence my love of Paris.)

Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop

NIIIIIICE . . .

It's very seldom that I genuinely like soliflores (CdG's Red Carnation a possible exception). But this one -- esp. for the price! -- I love, and have always loved. I use it for my sachets and closets, as no guy could ever pull this one off (wearing it, that is). No, when I want to don a rose scent, it's going to be Ungaro III or Iquitos. But Tea Rose is a great scent for women, and (again) an incredible scent for home use.

Arcus by Amouage

Greener and fruitier than Erolfa, Arcus could easily pass for a unisex scent. I, too, am not picking up any frankincense here.

This one falls more into the Silver Mountain Water category than the AdG category, IMHO. (Imagine SMW with less tea and more citrus and you've kind of got Arcus cornered.)

I like this one very much (as these types of "fresh, green" fragrances go, that is), but am not willing to plunk down the Abu Dhabi-esque price tag for it. Sorry, it's good but not THAT good.

L'Oranger Neroli by L'Occitane

Heady and seductive and utterly beguiling stuff. As scentemental pointed out in an earlier review (and I paraphrase here) "this is NOT your father's neroli." It is not the fresh scrubbed, rosy cheeked neroli of Creed's Neroli Sauvage, nor the sparkling neroli of Penhaligon's Castile, nor the bright floral of the neroli in Versace Man. No, this is dark and dense (great adjective choice, scentemental!)stuff here -- more appropriate to the bedroom than the boardroom. I could see a man or a woman pulling this off at work or in public, yes, but it's so rich and so bewitching that it's better worn in the boudoir or the bath. LOVE this stuff!

Magie Noire by Lancôme

By far my favorite of all the contemporary Lancôme offerings. This one is dark and sultry on me, and very "incense-y." I like the dark rose notes in this much as I do those in Iquitos -- very melancholy, very autumnal.

Beautiful "dry-down" period on me that lasts three to four hours after the EDT and perhaps four to eight hours after the EDP. Have yet to try the perfume itself.

Collection Homme Thé Brun by Jean-Charles Brosseau

Most unusual scent -- this one definitely intrigues me. Imagine a faint citrus lingering behind a veil of smoke and dark tea, perhaps Lapsang Souchong or a similar brew. Very dark and brooding at first, with heavy emphasis on the smoky notes. Dries down to a lovely tea scent -- by far the strongest I've ever smelled.

This is, I'm sure, what a 19th century Chinese teahouse must have smelled like. All I need now is a Mandarin sitting across the table from me, smoking a black bamboo pipe and stroking his long, white beard as he speaks. Very evocative stuff, but not for everyone. (You must be a tea aficionado, or at least a fan of tea notes in fragrances, to appreciate this gem. If you like Bulgari Black and/or Silver Mountain Water, you'll most likely go crazy for Thé Brun.

Average longevity (four to six hours), with good sillage.

I was glad to see, too, that this house has finally come out with men's scents, as I had said for years that Brosseau's Ombre Rose was one of the best buys out there on the women's market.

Very, very good stuff, this.

27th October, 2006

Bijan Wicked for Men by Bijan

Chrome poured out of a pineapple.

Great Jones by Bond No. 9

Drakkar Noir with balls and a hefty price tag.

Better than Drakkar? You bet -- this could pass as a Drakkar EDP, IMHO.

If you like Drakkar without the "off notes," get Great Jones. If you don't, then move on along to another Bond No. 9 favorite of mine -- H.O.T. Always. (It's Givenchy's Gentleman with even bigger balls.)

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Fans of agarwood, come stand by the stage. Hell, get in the mosh pit. Prepare for one hell of a concert.

Foes of agarwood, stay away. (Maybe in the lobby, or on the street, or possibly somewhere in Outer Mongolia.)

Not only is the sweet agarwood predominant (at least to my nose), but M7 is also largely dominated by musk, and lots of it. VERY sexy stuff!

This is one of those love it/hate it scents. (I for one can't imagine any middle ground.) In that regard, it stands in a proud circle of friends: Gucci PH, A*men, L'Anarchiste, Musc Ravageur, Body Kouros, Gentleman and Daim Blond (to name but a few).

I personally love this stuff, and wear it often. Others, however, hate it with a purple passion and will disparage it to their graves.

In short: TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

Vétiver (original) by Carven

There's a reason this awful crap is only $6.00 a bottle on eBay.
    Avoid much as you would cholera.

Nautica Classic by Nautica

A horrid waste of perfectly good alcohol and glass.

25th October, 2006

Chaps (original) by Ralph Lauren

To quote colormeChris: "Chaps is the only dime store' fragrance for men that I've found to have any real complexity. It has a bad rap as being cheap because it is cheaply priced."

This one's very leathery and powdery on me, and a darn good buy for the dollars spent. Is it Bois de Portugal? No. Muscs Koublai Khan? Hell, no. But -- for those on a budget -- trust me when I say you could do a helluva lot worse than Chaps.

Women love it on me, as do guys. I might only wear it once a year (at most), but the compliments I get one day a year from this are well worth it. And it beats the bejeezus out of such insipid, bland, namby-pamby Lauren offerings as Polo Blue, and Sport, and so forth. At least Polo and Chaps and Monogram had BALLS.

24th October, 2006

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

This is one of those scents that I wear only to garner compliments, not because I like it personally. (And I despise the cheesy, mass produced, "Let's try to look like third-rate Baccarat with a faux family crest" bottle. It's Lauren's pathetic social climbing bullshit all over again.)

It (the scent) is warm and woody and inoffensive enough, yes, and I can see why many (foetidus chief among them) love it. (And BOY does it get me compliments when I wear it!) That said, it's not a personal fave by any means. Truth be told, it bores me to tears.

Give me Trussardi Uomo or Polo Crest or Catalyst (or even Paul Sebastian) any day of the week.

23rd October, 2006

Mediterraneum by Versace

Yes, it's true -- the "dry down" IS very reminiscent of Balenciaga. Cheap on eBay, and worth every scent. Great for anyone on a budget -- warm, deep, only a tad of a longevity issue.

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Quorum is very like Mexico City in that I like to visit it, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there.

I like it on my Dad -- he still wears it. (I associate this scent with him much in the same way that I associate Calvin for Men with my elder brother, or bay rum with my paternal grandfather.)

Still, it just doesn't work on me. Like Photo by Lagerfeld, it never seems to die down on me -- it just keeps going, and going, and going.

I don't understand the extent of the derision here in this selection of reviews, no. (Really, it's not a terrible scent.) It's just VERY strong and it won't go away when you most want it to.

Nu Eau de Toilette by Yves Saint Laurent

Lovely stuff, but this stuff is about as unisex as Annette Funicello's bra. That is to say, no holds barred, that applying this stuff will make you smell really, really, REALLY damned girly. (And no, I don't care what they do in Europe.)

Don't get me wrong -- I'm all for breaking down bad barriers between the genders. That said, Nu is NOT for you (whether you're male or female, or something in between) if lush florals bother your nose, as this is some very heady stuff, IMHO.

And yes, the other reviewers are right in saying that the EDP version is a) better (richer, deeper, more complex) and b) somewhat -- but only somewhat, I hasten to add -- more masculine.

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

In the same vein as Scent Intense and Magie Noire in that it's a) smoky, woody, dark, rich, and incense-laden and b) indisputably unisex, no matter the marketing. I know more people who have this as their "signature scent" than almost any other I can think of right off the top of my head. (And with good reason.)

Parfum Sacré by Caron

Aphrodite might wear this magical potion.
    Seriously.

Lush and elegant and complex and SO divinely Oriental. I really deeply love this one -- it's Bellodgia's older and wiser sister.

Great stuff!

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Delectable. Serious. Crisp. Earthy. Straightforward. Cold. Warm. Wonderful. (So many adjectives; so little time.)

A definite power scent for me -- great one to wear for meetings with clients and (gulp!!!) family.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Possibly the greatest unisex fragrance ever made -- absolutely WONDERFUL stuff. I don't get the "disco" and "moose on the loose" vibes with MR at all -- on the contrary, it's very sensual and powdery and rich on me, and I get TONS of compliments from both genders alike. I don't find it feminine, either -- just very intricate and (again) sensual and altogether intoxicating. (I find myself sniffing my arm all day long after applying this stuff, much like Acier Aluminium, JHL, Leonard Pour Homme and Havana Reserva.)

It's true that I shudder at the thought of having to plop down another $110.00 (plus tax) at Barney's every time I use up a bottle, but I'll do it again and again as needed -- because this glorious stuff is indisputably worth every red cent.

Fendi Uomo by Fendi

Powerful, leathery, spicy, animalic. Like Yatagan, Antaeus, Balafre and others, this stuff is not for fans of those namby-pamby, pallid, androgynous, "aquatic" disasters out there that millions now call scent.

Fendi Uomo is an Eighties power scent all the way, and it makes no bones about it. If you like Escada or Santos, I can see no reason why you wouldn't like Fendi Uomo, too. The bottle, while interesting, IS hilariously dated in an Eighties kind of a way (looks like Corian trying to look like granite), but that's OK -- I'm not the flacon freak I once was.