Reviews by tvlampboy

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Balenciaga pour Homme by Balenciaga

This is what came about 9 months after Kouros shared a night of hot, steamy passion with Lapidus for Men.

This "love child" is -- IMHO -- the strongest, headiest scent from this Eighties/early Nineties era. And, as much as I love Balenciaga Pour Homme, I have to admit that I can, on some level, see how it and others like it might steer a generation towards the insipid world of Tommy and Nautica and all their similarly ugly little inbred siblings.

In a word: CAUTION. This is delightful stuff, yes, but it can quickly overpower even the most jaded of noses if it's applied more than a spritz or two at a time. Wear too much and you'll smell like Disco Stu, or possibly an overdressed mafioso straight out of "Wise Guys."

Great stuff, nevertheless -- why Balenciaga saw fit to discontinue this one (and Portos!) will remain forever beyond me.

21st October, 2006

Havana by Aramis

Pirates? Maybe, but more likely the stuff of Olympian gods. One of my top five of all time -- esp. in its Reserva version. Spicy, deep, rummy, tobacco-y -- what's not to love? It is, IMHO, one of the greatest American scents ever made, and its discontinuation should go down as one of the greatest marketing blunders ever.

Gianfranco Ferré for Man by Gianfranco Ferré

Eighties classic that doesn't knock you over when you enter the room. Great blend of citrus, lavender, and spices. Very spicy on my skin.

Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean-Charles Brosseau

Light yet distinctive; powdery yet not "talc-y"; inexpensive but not cheap.

Great bottle, too!

A rose scent for those who don't want to smell like Tea Rose/funeral homes for DAYS.

Bill Blass by Bill Blass

Good buy for the money! One of my baby sister's long-time signatures, BB is soft yet confident and feminine yet not cloying. In the same family as Sung for Women and Jessica McClintock. Nice stuff, especially for the price.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

I agree with Pluran's statement that SMW shares some similarities with both Erolfa and Millesime Imperial, but let me interject here and state the equally obvious: namely, that SMW is also a kissing cousin of Calvin Klein's much loved and much maligned CKOne. (Put more succinctly, Silver Mountain Water is CKOne's rich, well dressed cousin from London.)

The notes are better defined, true enough, and the ingredients costlier, but the overall effect is strikingly similar -- clean, crisp, long lasting without being overbearing, and unquestionably unisex.

A definite thumbs up in my book. Not my favorite Creed, no -- Acier Aluminium, Erolfa, Himalaya, Millesime Imperial, and Neroli Sauvage still beat it out in my top five. But it's still one heckuva good fragrance.

19th October, 2006

Halston 101 by Halston

Never could understand why they discontinued this one -- it was really Halston's most distinctive men's fragrance. Great top notes, with a wonderfully warm, spicy "dry down."
    I remember it being very potent, too -- a spritz or two would "do it."
    They always seem to discontinue the really good ones.

19th October, 2006

ParadisoInferno Blue by Benetton

SUCH a disappointment after the original Paradiso Inferno. From warm and spicy to -- well, yet another "freshy fresh fresh" blah clone. What a colossal bore.

18th October, 2006

Good Life by Davidoff

Great fragrance, and now one of the best buys on the market. (Picked up my last 3.4 oz. bottle at Marshall's for under $15.00!)

I wear this one more than any other "fresh" fragrance in my wardrobe because I always get INUNDATED with compliments whenever I do. (It also has great lasting power and fantastic sillage.)

It's fresh without being fruity (in spite of the fig leaf notes) and crisp without being too dry. A perennial favorite.

18th October, 2006

Le Roy Soleil Homme by Salvador Dali

This is one of those scents that is deceptive as hell. Spray it on and -- true enough -- it smells very, very like the perennially boring Crave. But wait a few minutes and the "dry down" begins. That's when the wood and crisp notes start to dominate and mellow out the orange notes.

I have to admit that this one grew on me considerably, and it was a good buy, to boot. I'll probably save this one until spring (it's October now), or perhaps for an exceptionally gloomy winter's day. Very bright, very crisp, very pleasant scent. -- that honor belong's to Desprez's lamentably discontinued scent by the same name. But, hey, for the price, maybe Les Tuileries.

This is also one of those scents that'll be far more wearable for most than the far darker Dali Pour Homme.

17th October, 2006

Horizon by Guy Laroche

I just don't see this one as "aquatic" at all. It's very crisp and dry to my nose, and its notes well blended. Lasts a long time on me, too, with near perfect sillage.

I never have understood why this "sleeper" wasn't a better seller. It's CERTAINLY far better than that Acqua di Gio crap.

16th October, 2006

Prada (new) by Prada

I don't see how any man could ever pull this one off, no -- this rich, amber-y potion is femininity captured and bottled and sealed.

I can't think of a word aside from perhaps "decadent" to describe this rich, luscious stuff. As with Givenchy's Ysatis, Laroche's Fidgi, Cartier's Must, and Creed's Fleurissimo, I just literally want to go MAD every time I smell this on a woman.

I can't wait to smell Prada for Men now -- I hear it has the same heavy amber basenote.

16th October, 2006

FCUK Him by French Connection

I happen to love it -- very crisp, very "metallic." Don't understand all the derision. Found a bottle at Filene's in Chicago and fell in love -- now I wear it all the time.

Silver Light by Escada

Nice enough, yes, and a good choice for those seeking a "crisp' fragrance. But the original Escada is SO much better -- so much richer and deeper and complex. It's kind of like Egoiste v. Platinum -- that is to say, "Why bother? Why try to improve upon perfection?"

Sandalwood (original) by Crabtree & Evelyn

Proof that you CAN have too much of a good thing. Weak and linear -- there are MUCH better sandalwoods out there.

Life Essence by Fendi

I rather like this, but don't understand why it's touted as a men's fragrance. If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong), Fendi marketed this as a unisex fragrance.

Hodo by Fragluxe

OK, I'll be honest -- I've never tried this stuff. That said, I just had to weigh in here and say that -- "Dinner" aside -- this is the WORST name I've ever heard or seen for a scent. What's its companion scent's name -- FRODO?

Zinzibar by Body Shop

Can be worn by a gutsy man, as its dry-down isn't so sweet as its initial spray-on.

Francesco Smalto pour Homme by Francesco Smalto

I agree with a nice little sleeper, you bet. Unfortunately, it shares the dubious distinction (along with Lapidus and Photo) of actually "growing" on me when I wear it. That's right -- it actually seems to grow stronger on me after I put it on. That's fine for an hour or two, but annoying as hell by five o'clock that afternoon, ya know? This one definitely has its fans, and for good reason -- it's a great scent for a fair price, even discontinued. That said, it just doesn't mesh with my body chemistry, I'm afraid. Thumbs up, but not for me.

Tenaz by Daniel de Fasson

Great stuff -- so sad they discontinued it. I hate to pay eBay prices for the EDT, as we used to get it SO cheap at the Outlet Mall in Galveston, TX.

Will keep looking for Tenaz bargains when I can find them.

More compliments from this warm, long lasting EDT than just about anything in recent memory. Am savoring my last bottle right now, and making it last.

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Aside from Dior's Eau Sauvage Extreme, this is one of the few citrus scents I really like. No, make that ADORE.

Calvin by Calvin Klein

Damn good stuff -- I found a bottle on eBay recently, and truly treasure it. (I heard that CK re-introduced it only to pull it off the market again.)

Calvin for Men was my elder brother's signature scent throughout the Eighties, and it, by anyone's standards, is one powerhouse of a scent.

Calvin is very like Antaeus or VC&A or Leonard Pour Homme or Portos (either Balenciaga OR Aramis) in that it is NOT for the faint of heart, nor for the unisex market -- this is swaggeringly masculine stuff. It's also (unlike the others I named above) truly great for casual afternoons year 'round. LOVE LOVE LOVE this fragrance! It's hard for me to believe that the same firm that gave us this one and Obsession should now produce such limp, insipid sh-t as Eternity, Crave, and Euphoria (all of which are MOST inaccurately named, I might add -- they should be named "Oblivion," "Pointless Addiction" and "Ennui.")

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

RCavs got it right -- this one's a kissing cousin of Guerlain's (sorry, but have to say it) superior L'instant Pour Homme. Neither VI nor L'instant EDT can hold a candle to the incomparable L'instant Eau Extreme, though. Like VI? Like L'instant? Do yourself a favor and -- kudos to both scents aside -- seek out the Eau Extreme version of L'instant instead. You'll have spent your moolah far more wisely.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Very sweet, very warm. I don't pick up on anything cloying or synthetic (as others obviously do); however, I CAN say that this is not one for those who don't favor sweet/spicy Orientals.

It's very much in the same family as Nemo by Cacharel, IMHO, and akin to its namesake, Xeryus.

I picked up my last bottle for cheap on eBay, and get tons of compliments every time I use it.

Xeryus by Givenchy

A grand "sweater weather" fragrance. I really love this Eighties classic, but it -- by its very nature -- is (at least for me!) one of those frags that can seldom be worn after spring/before autumn.

I don't find it linear at all -- on the contrary, I contend that it's rich, complex and beautifully blended. Not as formal as Rouge, either -- Xeryus is versatile enough for casual and/or office wear.

I wish that Givenchy had kept the original "Eighties Neo-Art Deco" bottle, but perhaps the house's marketing department thought differently.

13th October, 2006 (Last Edited: 01st July, 2008)

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Just another tired, "fruity aquatic" automaton in a row of similar automatons. Fruitier than most, true. (This may appeal to fans of sour apple gum.)

Don't get me wrong -- this stuff isn't evil, or horrid, or toxic. It's just commonplace and anything but outstanding.

I have a friend who loves this stuff, and I can see why. That is, he just wants a light, everyday fragrance. That's fine -- for him.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

A pale, pale reflection (at best) of the masterpiece that is Égoïste. That Chanel should have chosen to discontinue the good one while releasing (and aggressively marketing) the mediocre cousin is beyond me -- perhaps the execs there understand how many tasteless consumers there are in the U.S. of A.

Give me my (original) Égoïste -- I'll keep the Platinum for re-gifting.

Nino Cerruti by Cerruti

I sometimes wonder if some perfume company execs somewhere don't have their collective heads up their asses.
    To wit: Leonard Pour Homme, Portos, Havana, Nino Cerruti . . . in short, WHY DO THEY DISCONTINUE THE CLASSICS? ARE THAT MANY YUTZES OUT THERE REALLY PASSING UP THE GOOD STUFF TO PURCHASE YET ANOTHER BOTTLE OF TOMMY, OR SOME OTHER INSIPID CRAPOLA?

Cerruti Original was great stuff, and without the "power notes" that made so many late Seventies and early Eighties fragrances the objects of later laughter.

Very crisp, very green, eminently wearable. A smidgen formal, perhaps, but a great fragrance all around.

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

Impeccable, crisp, formal. In the same class as Pour Monsieur, Acier Aluminium, Antaeus, etc.

Not for those who don't care for citrus/spice mixtures, but otherwise perfect.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Rich and warm and spicy -- positively sublime stuff, this. It's very old-fashioned, and I wouldn't have been a bit surprised had I read "1887" instead of "1987" as its introduction date.

The base below the lavender and spices reminds me very much of Knize Ten. (Am I the only one to smell this?)

One of my top five Creed favorites.