Reviews by tvlampboy

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Aramis 900 by Aramis

Wonderful herbal with floral heart notes. Not much lasting power on me, though.

Aramis by Aramis

I don't understand all the derision here. Aramis is definitely a take-it-or-leave-it kind of scent, but let's not forget that it's a) really a pretty decent scent all around and b) a scent without which the market as we know it today might well not exist. We may find it a tad frumpy now, but it was fairly groundbreaking at the time of its introduction.

I don't wear it often if ever, but I do like it from time to time in the winter. I wouldn't like it half so much were it not for the peppery notes, though, as the cumin-y top notes can bowl me over. (The peppery notes tend to balance these notes out.)

Arpège by Lanvin

What a great scent for very little money. For many, many women over the years, Arpège was the only French perfume they found in their price range. But that didn't make it any less great. Still, I posit that the scent got almost a bad name over the years thanks to its less expensive price tag. To quote Eartha Kitt in the song "Champagne Taste": "You said you'd give me everything to make my life a feast. You didn't give me anything -- not even Arpège, you beast!"

I still see a tad of that snobbishness on Basenotes from time to time, with some folks dismaying scents (e.g., Prince Matchabelli, Vanderbilt, That Man, Canoe, Yardley's Lavender, etc.) simply because they're cheap. It's true that many mass market scents in the "drugstore" category really are awful, but price tag alone doesn't mean diddly-squat. Arpège proves that without fail.

Ungaro III by Ungaro

Rich, wonderfully boozy notes, with definite balsamic tones and a warm, woody drydown. A bona fide classic, and by far the best of the Ungaro family (Diva for Women aside). This one falls into the same clan as Antaeus, Van Cleef & Arpels, JHL, and a handful of other rich, complex scents. Let's hope they have the foresight and common sense to never discontinue this one!

Burberry for Men by Burberry

To THINK that the stuffed shirts at Burberry's would discontinue the perfect (spicy, masculine, original) Burberry's for Men and market instead this bland tripe without which no car salesman in Des Moines would be complete.

Go figure.

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

Great buy for a drugstore scent, folks. Very powdery, very sweet. Also makes excellent sachets for your linen closets and drawers. (Had an aunt who used to use "Vanderbilt" for that very purpose.)

Higher by Christian Dior

Should have been christened "Lower."

Can't imagine why anybody would get excite over this citrus snoozer. No lasting power, either (and that's a good thing).

Lalique pour Homme Equus by Lalique

Tasty stuff! LOVE the use of spices here -- and is that juniper that's so dominant beyond the spices? Great winter fragrance!

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Lush, citrus-y, musk-y green fragrance. SO nice, and so very unisex. Can scarcely believe that the firm that put this food of the gods out could (and did) also put out two such vile, bloodcurdling goblins as A-men and Alien.

Photo by Lagerfeld

Wonderful on others, but cloying and far too heady on me. (Almost seems to intensify on me throughout the day, not "dry down.")

I genuinely like this stuff, though -- just not for me. Thumbs up, but with that one reservation.

Jako by Lagerfeld

Nasty stuff, and very much a nasty one on the feminine side, to boot. (Don't get me wrong -- hell, I wear Shalimar sometimes.) Still, this one's just cloying -- reminds me of cheap women's perfume. Very like Salvatore Ferragamo in its figginess -- ICK. Hands down, this is Lagerfeld's WORST.

KL by Lagerfeld

Opium's older sister -- and a very rich one, at that. YUMMY!

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Perfectly suitable for christening the Antichrist. Also doubles as bug spray.

Just Cavalli Him by Roberto Cavalli

Smells just like Zanzibar, only with less ginger. Not bad, just not something I'm gonna knock myself out to get to, that's all.

Zanzibar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Like the spice, but no distinctive notes here. VC&A Original Pour Homme it's NOT. Again (as others have pointed out in other reviews here), staying power is a bit of a problem.

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Rich, luxurious, refined -- but NOT for anyone under 35. Like Antaeus and Trussardi Homme, it takes big brass balls to wear this one, plus at least a little maturity (i.e., definitely not one for the "Eternity" types).

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

Crisp, fresh, always in style. Far preferable, IMHO, to Green Jeans by Versace.

A must-have that also boasts a very low price. Niche fragrances can be great, but they can also be awful (e.g., Chypre Rouge, etc.). A low price and wide availability do NOT (as Pino proves) necessarily make for a sub-standard product.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

This stuff was simply too (for want of a better word) classy for the American mass market. No, they want their Tommys and their Acquas and their Beyond Paradises and all those other insipid, synthetic bug excretions.

Egoiste is distinction in a simple glass bottle, and (at the expense of my sounding VERY elitist) just way too good for Middle America.

Dalimix by Salvador Dali

NOT one of my favorite Dali scents, not by any means. Can't understand why they'd discontinue Dali for Men and keep making this mess.

Casual Friday by Escada

Too much licorice/anise for my tastes, although my boyfriend always loved this one. I loved the sandalwood portion, but not the anise part. I'll give it a thumbs up anyway, but for his sake, not mine.

Allure Homme by Chanel

Not my favorite Chanel, no, but very, very well crafted. It just lacks a certain "oomph" that Pour Monsieur and Antaeus manage to have in spades. Guess I'm just a sucker for the classics.

Nocturnes by Caron

I agree with RoseAmber in that this fragrance, it seems, could well have been made in the Roaring Twenties. LOVELY use of aldehydes, and brilliant use of vetiver to tone down the tuberose.

A freakin' masterpiece, this one.

Bellodgia by Caron

Proof positive that you don't have to spend a lot of dough to get a top-rate scent. As far as "bang for the buck" goes, you can hardly beat Bellodgia. The carnation notes take me back to my childhood, as an elderly cousin wore this one and I always noticed that spiciness lingering about her.

Imagine, if you will, what Anais Anais would be if weren't so busy being seductive. Now tone down the aldehydes and throw in some Chanel #5 for powdery discretion and you've got Bellodgia.

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

Too much coconut for me. Liven up the spice portion and -- per MonkeyManMatt's advice -- release a concentrated version and then we'll see. In the meantime, I'll continue to hoard "Nemo" by Cacharel and lament the fact that it was ever pulled off the market in the first place.

Fahrenheit Summer by Christian Dior

Ditto everything that mtbvince said. I like this as well as its re-formulated cousin, Shalimar Light. That one is to Shalimar what this "Summer" fragrance is to Fahrenheit -- lighter, but still long lasting AND still consistent with the original's best notes.

Cayman Winds by Crabtree & Evelyn

Remember Lemon Pledge? Apparently, C&E did, too.

This remarkably linear citrus was essentially a mixture of little old lady verbena and Lemon Pledge. I thought they'd discontinued it, but apparently the "winds" are still blowing.

Versace l'Homme by Versace

A MASTERPIECE -- really. Keep thinking that Versace's idiotically discontinued this, then I'll see it online or in perfume shops and realize that this is, in fact, not the case.

As with Versace's Dreamer and Versace Man, be advised to take it easy with this stuff -- a little goes a long way.

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Oh, bring us some figgy pudding . . . This one's just a bit too much for me -- it crosses the line from sweet to cloying in no time flat. Many others like it, though. I WANT to like it, but just can't. Neutral on this one -- let its fans remain loyal, but I can't shout about it.

Pi by Givenchy

My boyfriend is a huge fan, and I can sure see why -- it's positively EDIBLE. Definitely NOT for those who don't like gourmand fragrances at all, though, as the vanilla and benzoin together make it almost like a yummy pastry of sorts. Another win for Givenchy.

Nomad / Moroccan Myrrh by Crabtree & Evelyn

Call me crazy, but I think C&E sold out on this one. I like the sandalwood notes, true, but the rest of it smells like yet another Calvin Klein automaton. Modernity, in scents, is not always a good thing, I guess. (If, that is, by modernity you mean homogeneity and mass market appeal.)