Reviews by tvlampboy

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Fidji by Guy Laroche

Omigod -- this scrumptious stuff is almost enough to make me go straight. (Well, almost.) Sex in a bottle, pure and simple -- the woman who wears this stuff should have no problem whatsoever snagging any man she wants. (Well, within reason.)

Very green, very floral in its opening notes -- lots of aldehydes, I guess. The name is quite appropriate -- very tropical, very mysterious. And the drydown is SPECTACULAR -- wow! Incredibly longevity, and no cloying after-effects.

Gotta love this stuff -- hope Laroche never lets it go away. (Unlike the vile Drakkar Noir.)

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

Along with YSL's "Paris," Ungaro's "Diva" and Galanos' "Galanos," this one is a quintessential Eighties scent. (Very big, very loud. Think giant Eighties "Carrington" coiffures, Lacroix pouffe skirts, etc.)

Still, it's very, very pretty -- very delicate. I'd say this one is for the under 30 crowd, though, along with "Paris." Leave "Diva" and (the lamentably discontinued) "Galanos" for those over 30.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Guess this "elusive" one is only for some, as I find it fetid and burnt-smelling. "Mystery," indeed. Go for Shalimar, ladies and gents, or Jardins de Bagatelle, or (YUM!) the Eau Extreme version of L'instant. Leave Mitsouko alone unless you are just DYING to figure out its burnt-smelling "mystery."

Ysatis by Givenchy

You KNOW that you've got an olfactory winner when you find a women's fragrance so wonderful that even us gay guys wanna sniff the women wearing it. This stuff is like heroin to junkies, in that -- once you've smelled it -- you have to have more and more. My friend Brenda wears this stuff, and I can't help but sidle up next to her two or three times a day just to get a whiff. YUMMMMMMMM!

Heaven Sent (original) by Dana

Lucifer's girlfriend wears this kerosene-based hell juice, I do believe. I had a trig teacher in high school who bathed in this oily concoction, and many of us hung around her only to ask questions about logarithms and watch our friends' nose hairs curl at the same time.

Best applied on one's enemies.

Tabu by Dana

It should have been dubbed "Taboo" instead of "Tabu", as most cultures have strict taboos about applying such horrid things to one's body prior to making a public appearance.

Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn

Subtle? Try non-existent. No lasting power on me. Caswell-Massey's is much better, far less expensive, far longer lasting, and considerably less linear.

Gardénia Passion by Annick Goutal

Sensual stuff -- very heady, not for the faint of heart. I love it, though. It's one of those fragrances (kinda like Joy and Ysatis and a few others) that put me in mind of outrageous drag queens and insufferable old socialites with exquisite taste. Very decadent, very Old World, very "out there." NOT for the office, nor for anyone under 40.

Sung by Alfred Sung

Innocence in a bottle. Not for anyone over the age of 25. Reminds me of my baby sister -- she wore this all the way up until grad school and marriage, then she outgrew it. Along with Miss Dior and Fleurissimo, this is, IMHO, a quintessential young woman's scent.

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Ick -- how sad an "accomplishment" for Lutens & Shiseido alike. Someone earlier described it as smelling like "Kool Aid." That was an incorrect -- or at least incomplete -- assessment. Make that instead, "Kool Aid mixed with flophouse sweat and brewed for three days in the blistering sun."
    This was, hands down, one of the worst olfactory experiences of my life. I rank it right up there with Hai Karate, A-men and Brut in terms of its ability to burn nasal passages and start small diesel engines.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Sex in a bottle -- period. Tom Ford got this retro-inspired beauty right on the money.
    If, however, you are not a fan of patchouli and/or cedar, then avoid this one like the bubonic plague. I myself love it, but can understand why enemies of patchouli and cedar would despise it to the ends of the earth.

Passion for Men by Elizabeth Taylor

I happen to like this one very much -- it gives me a lot of bang for my buck, and dries down to a woody, powdery, yummy base. Is it Creed? No. Lutens? Definitely not. But for the price spent, I don't think you can beat it. Along with Dior's Fahrenheit, Revlon's That Man, and a few other fragrances that can be had under $30.00, Passion for Men is a perennial inexpensive favorite for me. Oh, AND I can wear it year-round.

Hai Karate by Healthpoint Ltd

All that is vile and hellish in the world, but captured in a bottle and sealed with a lid (to help keep the toxic fumes from stripping nearby pieces of furniture and killing small, furry creatures in the vicinity).

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Warm and spicy and VERY cozy all around. I find that women and men alike love this one on me, and it has superb lasting power. It has its detractors, true, but it -- understandably -- has far many more devoted fans. I hope they never discontinue this modern classic.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Don't get me wrong -- I don't oppose mass produced fragrances on principle. Nevertheless, this schlock is quintessential mass produced, mass marketed crapola. It's watery and bland and overly sweet -- the beginning, IMHO, of the whole "aquatic, androgynous, utterly boring" trend that we've been seeing on and off for almost two decades now. SNORE.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Very strong, very sexy fragrance -- a personal favorite, probably among my top 10. NOT a warm weather, scent, though, so bear that in mind. I really like the peppery notes -- without them, Envy for Men would come across as too sweet.
    A true classic, albeit one that some don't care for. Most, however, love it as much as I do. Someone compared it to Floris' Santal, but I don't get the connection much, if at all. (I love Santal, too, though.)

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

Why BOTHER? You can get the same thing by Muelhens (or any number of companies) for far less. Furthermore, this stuff -- while pleasant and inoffensive enough -- has no stamina whatsoever. A waste of money. Nice enough scent, yes, in that middle-of-the-road, old fashioned, unisex toilet water kinda way, but it has no staying power and no "oomph." Nice bottle, though.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Guess this soporific of a scent goes to show ya just why many in the American public oughtn't vote, reproduce, or carry firearms. That THIS less-than-mediocre scent -- of all scents -- should be "number one" is not terribly different from the idiocy of Dubya being President.

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

Nice aldehydes in the opening notes -- very fresh, very vibrant. Dries down to a heckuva lot of jasmine and talc, IMHO. Still, very, very pleasant scent for the price. This is one you'll either love or hate. (I happen to love it on my mum and one of my sisters.)

Ricci Club by Nina Ricci

A particular favorite in my collection. Had been told that this gem was discontinued, but don't think this is, in fact, the case. I see a lot more of it abroad than here in the U.S., though.
    Btw, be sure to take Godzilla's advice and go for the "Haute Concentration" version if at all possible -- YUM!

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Too much anise for my tastes. I hear others talk about how it works on them, but I for one can't stomach it. Neutral on this one for that alone.

Amazing for Men by Bill Blass

Wake me up when it's over.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

MUCH, MUCH better than that rank, toxic rat spit that Thierry Mugler dubbed "A-men". (A DESPERATELY need improvement, I might add -- I could probably use my bottle of A-men to get rid of termites and other unwanted insects.)

Very nice drydown, although the opening notes can knock you on your tuchus if you make the mistake of over-applying.

I bought a 1 oz. bottle of B-men on eBay, and can already tell that it'll last a long, long time.

Definitely a winter fragrance, btw.

26th September, 2006

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

I have to respectfully disagree with at least two of the reviews here. (Each to his/her own, of course.) Still, I find this a very pleasant scent for the price. It could have better longevity, true, and it's NOT for those who don't like "powdery" scents, true. But all in all I find it a very "wearable" scent, esp. in cold weather. I don't find it "cheap smelling" at all -- just very spicy and then very powdery in its drydown.

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

Very "green" smelling scent on me once the woods and florals die down a bit. Very sexy stuff for the price, and LOVE the packaging. I wear this one to the clubs a lot and think of it as a very "jeans-y" kind of fragrance -- not for the office crowd.

Lavender by Woods of Windsor

Don't know why this is listed as a women's fragrance -- it's about as unisex as it gets. Nice vanilla to tone down the lavender-y edges, but not much lasting power. Inexpensive, though, and not so harsh as Yardley's can be.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Get the extreme version, definitely. Benb was right -- "heaven in a bottle." That said, bear in mind that this is NOT a fragrance for those men who don't favor sweet scents. The initial spray will almost knock you over with its incense-y (benzoin? frankincense?) notes. The drydown is nice, true, but it takes about an hour to begin. In short, expect very sweet and intense for the first hr., then a lovely drydown that lasts all day.
    I've tried both versions, and far prefer the extreme one. VERY nice buy -- can't wait to wear this one during the holiday season. (Probably NOT a summer fragrance, at least not for me.) Would also make a nice women's fragrance -- I could definitely see this one as unisex, no matter how Guerlain markets it.

23rd September, 2006

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

The nicest "white" fragrance I've discovered outside the world of niche fragrances. Widely available, too, and not terribly expensive.

Could easily see this one as unisex, yes. Don't know about "the ladies," but I sure get a lot of compliments from my boyfriend and other guys on this one.

A personal favorite -- sure hope that Miyake never discontinues this gem.

23rd September, 2006

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I love the mint opening and the cool bottle, but (as with the evil, must-be-destroyed demon juice known as A*men by Thierry Mugler) the tonka overpowers me to the point of a dreadful headache. UNLIKE A*men, though, I actually LIKE this one. Too bad I can't wear the stuff.

21st September, 2006

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

A great fragrance for the price. Let others call it dated -- I call it a classic. It's DEFINITELY a winter fragrance for me, though, and NOT one to be worn heavily. (Apply this one with ease.)

Sweater weather. Falling leaves. Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving. VERY autumnal scent.

21st September, 2006