Reviews by tvlampboy

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

An odd bird, this. I usually don't care for strong violet frags for women, but this one really threw me for a loop. Imagine a gourmand that's also a distinctive floral. Imagine a "dark" frag that's also bright and crisp. Green yet purple.

Bizarre stuff -- well worth the sampling.

26 November, 2008

Santa Fe for Men by Aladdin Fragrances

Atrac nailed it -- this really is Caron's Third Man, only more powdery, somewhat less lavender and lower longevity. Still a damn good buy, though -- I paid all of $4.00 plus tax (at Big Lots, no less!) for my 3.4 oz. bottle.

26 November, 2008

Encre Noire by Lalique

A warm, woody vetiver that shares much in common (aside from the prominent vetiver note) with Thierry Mugler Cologne.

The wood notes become much more evident within the first ten minutes after application, then the "soft" portion of the drydown begins in earnest.

A bold yet never harsh interpretation of vetiver that every vetiver fan should at least try, if not own.

19 November, 2008

Lizsport by Liz Claiborne

Cheap? Hardly. Inexpensive? Yes, but not "cheap."

On the contrary, I think this sparkling white musk/peony gem smells almost identical to Bond No. 9's much more expensive (and far less readily available!) West Side.

Lizsport is also surprisingly unisex. My other half and I bought a bottle at TJ Maxx today for all of $9.99 + tax and we're both VERY happy with our new purchase. (Think West Side for 1/10th the price!) It goes on a bit femme, true, but its drydown is a) quick and b) NOT gender specific at all.

Fan of Issey Miyake, guys? Give this one a try -- it's vaguely in the same general family.

BIG thumbs up!

29 October, 2008

Eau du Coq by Guerlain

Crisp and dry citrus fragrance that reminds us all of an era in which the bourgeoisie would douse or spritz themselves liberally with concoctions such as this throughout the day.

It's charming stuff, but the quintessence of eau de cologne if ever I encountered it. (Put another way, expect a refreshing splash or spray, but nothing much more than that, as Eau du Coq's about as ephemeral a frag as you'll encounter.)

Dry and elegant? Yes. Charmingly bottled? You bet. A safe bet for anyone expecting longevity and/or sillage? Uh, no. No. And by the way -- no.

Thumbs up? Yes, but only with the comments above to serve as a proviso.

27 October, 2008

Vetiver by Guerlain

Multiple personalities in this French classic: a crisp and bright fragrance that dries down to a woody, earthy vetiver and from there to a tobacco-rich, spicy goodness. (Whew! Talk about a ride!)

I do not care for the recent Guerlain re-formulation -- it lacks the "teeth" of the original and is, IMHO, a pale reflection of the same. Sadly, the vintage Guerlain is getting harder to find all the time, and more expensive. Nevertheless, I try to always keep a bottle of the original, vintage version in my collection. Always.

26 October, 2008

Aspen for Men by Coty

A more coniferous version of Cool Water.

Oddly, I like it far better than Cool Water, though. (That's not really saying a great deal, though, as I'm no fan of Cool Water.) Still, I have to give credit where credit is due and admit that -- for an inexpensive, drugstore frag -- one could do a lot worse.

If dollars are all you care to see, though, then at least do yourself a favor and sample before Aspen any number of other frags that can be had "on the cheap" (e.g., Canoe, Monsieur Musk, Grey Flannel, Royal Copenhagen, Perry Ellis, Catalyst etc.).

25 October, 2008

Le Jasmin by Annick Goutal

Innocent without being cloying (as many jasmine frags can be). Gorgeous use of magnolia, too, to soften and round out the jasmine's sharper, greener edges, and just enough ginger to make things effervesce.

A big thumbs up for this, one of my favorite Goutals to date.

24 October, 2008

Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

Lauder's brother? Not so much as a half-brother there, I'm afraid. No, the original formula of this dry, citrus-heavy Spanish chypre is much, much more closely related to Lacoste pour Homme. (Perhaps a "three-quarter sibling," LOLOLOL.) I see little or no resemblance to Coriolan, except perhaps in the dryness department. I see a bit of resemblance to Boucheron pour Homme, too, but only somewhat so.

A bit hard to find in the States.

17 October, 2008

Hombre de Flores Narcissus by Fresh

Bright, white floral for men, heavy on the narcissus and neroli.
    Warm, woody dry-down about one hour into the wearing.

Unfortunately, this hard-fo-find frag has more of an EDC than an EDT strength -- expect two hours of wear (maximum). As a result, I give this one a "neutral" ranking.

17 October, 2008

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

An iris frag for those who have a problem with too much iris, really.

I find it a pleasant, spicy, citrus-heavy frag with just enough iris for dryness (sans the powdery, lipstick-y notes of the original Dior Homme).

A definite thumbs up, yes, but do be aware that I only put on two squirts at Sephora yesterday. I was by myself for hours afterward, and so I cannot comment yet upon Dior Homme Sport's sillage.

14 October, 2008

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

I really wanted to like this one, as I'm fond of SMN's PotPourri. (Both fall into the same "old school" category of medicinal frags, iMHO.) That said, I couldn't bring myself to wear Piper Nigrum again. The mint note (i.e., the same thing that makes me queasy when Live Jazz and other mint-heavy frags) was extremely strong. Also, I could see how PN's mega-sillage could easily disrupt even the most otherwise convivial office environment. (No matter how much you yourself might like it, bear in mind that your colleagues might have a very different take on this Italian powerhouse.)

It's a beautifully blended fragrance in spite of my personal inability to wear and enjoy it, though, and unquestionably a Villoresi everyone should at least try at some point. I'll give this one a thumbs upl, but with two provisos: a) try it before you buy it and b) bear in mind that it may not be the world's best choice for an office frag.

14 October, 2008

Anucci Man by Anucci

If you like Insensé, Fleur du Mâle or L'Eau d'Issey, then you really owe it to yourself to at least TRY Anucci for Men. This reasonably priced little gem (funky, somewhat gimmicky bottle, btw) definitely falls into the white floral category, albeit with very distinctive green notes and musky underpinnings.

Goes on brash at first, but dries down to a lovely and long lasting finish.

01st October, 2008

Ed Hardy Man by Christian Audigier

Somewhat pleasant, extraordinarily inoffensive mixture of light mint and Miyake-esque musk.
    Overhyped; overpriced.

Meh.

27 September, 2008

Eternity Summer for Men 2006 by Calvin Klein

Brisk, clean citrusy frag that (blessedly) lacks the cloying, artificial "aquatic" notes of the oddly popular original. (Nice warm dry-down on this one, too.)

I probably won't be going out of my way to get a bottle, no, but -- for me -- it falls squarely into the same camp as Herrera Aqua. How's that? Well, this is definitely one I might buy were I a bigger fan of this frag family in general.

All in all, a pleasant frag well worth exploring for fans of the "aquatics."

24 September, 2008

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

One of my very favorite vetiver frags -- imagine Happy for Men (all that grapefruit) mixed with a generous dose of nutmeg, all layered upon a resinous, smoky, woody vetiver base.

Not for the faint of heart, no. Like Lempicka au Masculin and Dali pour Homme, Mémoire is pretty strong stuff. (This due to the bitterness of the nutmeg, the piquancy of the ginger and the woody strength of the vetiver). Two thumbs up from me, though.

24 September, 2008

DKNY Women by Donna Karan

Blood oranges? Hmmm -- I got pineapples in my first whiff (and lots of themt, I might add). But then, my nose is not the most sophisticated one out there. I kept expecting the tomato leaf notes to be predominant, but (alas) they weren't.

The lilies in the heartnotes make for a wonderful, lush middle, granted, but the "freshly laundered t-shirt" dry-down is just plain old white musk. Horrible? No. Exciting, though? Hardly -- think L'Eau d'Issey for women and you pretty much have the picture.

All in all, a thumbs up from me. (But not a big one.)

09 September, 2008

Stardust for Men by Llewelyn

Not worth the bother (not even now that it's no longer discontinued) if you didn't care for Davidoff's Cool Water so very much in the first place.

02 September, 2008

Cool Water by Davidoff

Tedious but oddly popular "aquatic" laden with synthetics. Could have been a much better frag with far less lavender and more tobacco in the drydown, but "coulda shoulda woulda" means little in the long run.

All in all, a big fat neutral -- Davidoff pour Homme is FAR AND AWAY the better frag.

02 September, 2008

Musk for Men by Fabergé

Inexpensive but deliciously skanky musk for men. Very Seventies in its vibe, with just a touch of floral notes to offset the strength of the (no doubt) synthetic musk base. Some patchouli in the basenotes, I believe -- can't remember. Used to get tons of nice comments when I wore this one years ago.

Given its sexiness, well, it's odd that Fabergé ever opted to discontinue this one.

20th August, 2008

Babe by Fabergé

Soapy, musky white floral that seemed to last forever on the skin. (Think Charlie with less exuberance and more sexiness.) A favorite with girls when I was in high school, and a favorite of mine even now (when I can still smell it). My aunt had a bottle forever; I think she finally used it up. Pity.

20th August, 2008

BalMan by Pierre Balmain

Strong notes of fruit and anise over an even stronger tonka base. The sweet plum note is a bit disconcerting in the opening, granted, but it (fortunately) dries down to a warm and spicy note before too long.

Fans of both LeMâle and Catalyst should find some common ground here, as should (as Blue_Jay pointed out) fans of Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme. I even see some similarities (probably due to the tonka) to Arpège pour Homme (albeit mostly in the drydown).

Monster sillage here, so proceed with caution. Massive longevity, too -- easily one of the longest lasting frags I've purchased in the past year.

Probably not best suited for extremely warm climes, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

All in all, a fantastic bargain sleeper. (A definite try-before-ya-buy kind of frag, though.)

12 August, 2008

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

Damn good buy for the whopping $12.00 I paid at Gordman's! Citrusy opening that soon dries into a spicy set of green notes with just a hint of fruit. Great longevity, and excellent sillage as well.

Glad I picked this one up!

30th July, 2008

Colours for Men by Alexander Julian

Powdery beyond powdery -- the quintessence of powdery, in fact.
    (n.b.: The underlying sweetness here is of the "perfume-y" type, not the gourmand type.)

A definite try-before-you-buy kind of frag, esp. in light of its high "discontinued, hard-to-find" price tag.

01st July, 2008

Gale Hayman Man by Gale Hayman

If you want an inexpensive coniferous frag, reach for Pino Silvestre and leave this stuff on the shelf.

Offensive? No.
    Thumbs down? No -- I'll give it a solid "neutral" rating.
    Interesting, though, or worth seeking out? Not really.

01st July, 2008

Royal Copenhagen by Royal Copenhagen

Powdery, masculine and musky classic. A smidgen dated? Perhaps, but no more so than another powdery favorite, Jockey Club. In fact, JC reminds me a great deal of RC -- just imagine Jockey Club with dryer notes, more powder and less carnation. Same barbershop appeal. Pinaud, too, is in the same family, as is Canoe.

A big thumbs up, especially given the price tag and wide availability.

30th June, 2008

Rosamor by Oscar de la Renta

Soapy and artificial smelling. Not really bad, no, but Taolady nailed it with the adjective "forgettable."

Want a pure, simple rose for a young lady, or perhaps a good quality rose frag that would be both affordable and inexpensive? Try Gres' Cabaret pour Femme, or pick up Tea Rose by TPW. I won't say "avoid Rosamor", no, but I won't be steering you toward it, either.

24 June, 2008

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

A definite must-try for lovers of bright aldehydes. RG (the original) is all about lightness and brightness and all things Parisian. It may well be a tad dated, yes, butby no means so much that it's unapproachable. A true classic here, and one that's especially good in summer months.

04 June, 2008

Angel by Thierry Mugler

It's odd that I so love Angel yet so abhor A*men, as many of the same notes are there. But what I get from Angel is patchouli and chocolate and sweet burnt sugar, while all I get from A*men is rancid cocoa and burnt tar (and lots of the latter).

Angel, for me, is as rich, sensual and vanilla-laden as A*men is harsh, bitter and migraine-inducing.

04 June, 2008

Little Italy by Bond No. 9

Hmmmm -- orange marmalade with a spritzer. How very droll.

24 May, 2008