Reviews by colormechris

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

An excellent, clean sharp citrusy-slightly herby concoction. This one sneaks up on you and you realize what a well-balanced composition it is. Brings to mind Mediterranean islands, white sand, blue Speedos, dark tans, fizzy gin based summer drinks. Not precisely distinctive; but for a citrusy, warm weather perfume it's excellent. The kind of thing you can take a bath in. Has a nice warm underpinning, like a beach towel that's been sitting in the sun.
21st October, 2014

Eros by Versace

I have to say I agree with all the reviews here, good and bad. I just received a gift set of Eros for my birthday, so I now own across two bottles, approximately 5 ounces of the stuff. There was no return receipt, because I would gladly exchange this for something I love. But you know what? It's growing on me...I'm kind of craving it in that way you do some scents. Like you need a fix. Hold on, I'll be right back...
I just sprayed some on. It goes on like a supersonic candy shop; but that quickly dies down and the more subtle, grown up cedar notes make their presence known mixed in with a touch of vetivery-lemony sub-sub notes. It is quite a bit like Rabanne's 1 Million (which I think is just Tenere with some added ingredients) but I like it much better. I thought 1 Million was one of the most perplexingly overrated scents of the last few years and I love Senor Rabanne.
Versace's Eros also has a strange sour undernote which I quite like. Clearly this was a slapped together, by committee, as AndrewtheCologneGuy said "...a combination of the last 3 or 4 top selling of the last decade" scents. But they got it right. Or they got lucky. Or we did.
27th December, 2013

Fan di Fendi pour Homme by Fendi

Uomo Revisited

Well, it seems Fendi has overhauled it's original man's scent with a softer sillage and a much nicer bottle. Which is exactly what I thought they should do. And they seem to have done it well. But since I have a full bottle of the original, I will probably never have to buy this.

02nd July, 2013

Ma Griffe (original) by Carven

I'm a guy and I'm wearing Ma Griffe right now and I love it. It is a GREEN green floral with one of the strangest notes in it that I've ever smelled. I can only describe it as "garlic-ey" and it must be the unusual asafoetida infusion. It is a "foul smelling" resin from a plant in the parsley family and much like civet and other types of binders that smell horrid by themselves--it combines with the other elements to heighten and enrich them.
Ma Griffe is a stand alone concoction. At once familiar and at twice; strange. A weird, exotic beauty that speaks of Old World European sophistication; but remains wild and woody. To paraphrase the old commercial: Made for a Woman, but strong enough for a Man.
04th April, 2013

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

A home run from the house of Saint Laurent. I bought this for my BF and he went through it so fast it must've been some kind of record. Nothing like the original Kouros other than it's originality and boldness. Kouros original was the great incense/civet/ambergris of all time. Body Kouros may be the great medicinal/eucalyptus of all time. It's saving grace is that it dries down to a mellow powdery-ness retaining only a hint of the original medicinal quality. Another fantastic, striking, modern scent from YSL.
Saint Laurent is one of the few houses that consistently releases a risky, ground-breaking, trend-setting new fragrance about every five years. Yes, they play the flanker game...but that's the game nowadays. They don't compromise on quality either. And they don't over-charge the consumer. If you can't find a fragrance you like from YSL, you just don't like fragrance. Chanel needs to take a chapter form the St. Laurent book, along with Calvin and Ralph.
House of Saint Laurent, keep up the awesome work...and please don't change!
17th January, 2013

The One Sport by Dolce & Gabbana

Nowadays, there are so many new fragrances coming out and so many are emulations of what has all ready been; it's truly a challenge to find something truly interesting that truly stands out.
Well "The One" Sport version is truly not it.
That being said, what it IS is quite good. It's a citrusy aquatic with a touch of earthy patchouli in the base. Very moderate sillage, close to the skin on drydown. It's very crisp and clean with just enough of a stand-out quality (it's that dash of patchouli!) to separate it from the legions of mediocre aquatics. Enough with the aquatics all ready! They've been done to death.
D & G (not to be confused with P&G!) produce consistently excellent fragrances for reasonable prices. That they discontinued BY for Men is something of a mystery, for it was certainly one of their best...Anyways:
The One Sport may not be the most exciting fragrance ever made. It's kind of a throwback to the mens fragrances of the 50's and 60's. They were quiet but classic. Designed to make a man smell great, stand out but not call undue attention to himself. The One Sport is something you could wear anytime or anyplace. Spray, spritz, splash with abandon. I may just get myself a bottle.
03rd January, 2013

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

An unsung classic I think. Bulgari Blu is the perfect extraction of powder into a masculine scent. I think if you wanted to hold up an example of a "powdery" scent, as in that little cloud they brush on the back of your neck with a badger brush at the barber shop...you could certainly hold up Bulgari Blu Pour Homme. But it's also highly sophisticated as well. A baby powder for grown-ups. Ooh la la.
01st January, 2013

KL by Lagerfeld

My Mom loved this one. She has great, almost intuitive tastes in fragrance. So I think it's a great loss that this one was discontinued. It was truly an excellent spicy floriental. Clearly inspired by Opium as were so many of the spicy perfumes of the 80's. I hate to admit it (because I adore Opium) but I think this one was just a little bit better than YSL's Opium. It was a touch smoother, a bit lighter, a little less somber and thus happier than Opium. But still just as complex and intriguing. It was warm and friendly yet still glam...like a saucy rich dame in a mink coat who wasn't above having a drink with the help.
And that packaging! You could point to that and say: "This was the 80's".
30th December, 2012

L'Homme Libre by Yves Saint Laurent

I just received this as a birthday present. A set, one 3.3 oz bottle and one 1.7 oz bottle of the EDT. That's a lot of Libre, l'hommie!
The top note phase is a very sweet, very fresh cottony-candyish kind of thing. Not my favorite kind of fragrance experience. It's kept from being a sugar bomb by the sharper notes of the violet leaf poking through from the mid range. Then the leather from the base begins to peek through, imbuing the whole composition with the stale cigarette smoke vibe that Aeroallergen mentioned. I quite like the smell of cigarette smoke, so it's fine with me. Then the vetiver and patchouli come into play in the drydown and Libre reaches a point where I'm pleased with it. It turns into a sort of light leather floriental
I can smell notes of Body Kouros in there...in fact, this is sort of a sweeter version of Body Kouros. Ultimately, it's not something I would've bought for myself, but I will definitely wear it. It's not one of the best things YSL has brought us, but it's certainly not the disaster Opium for Men is. But even Opium for Men has it's fans. This house is like a pizzaria for perfume...even the not so good pizzas are still pretty damn good!
21st December, 2012

Déclaration by Cartier

Burst of lemon settling quickly into earthy spice; cumin I think. The end result is dirty lemons. This is a lot like the slightly "hot skank" note you can find in YSL pour homme. It's kind of that unwashed Morrocan bazaar vibe, a vibe you either really love or really hate. I LOVE that vibe when I'm in the mood but I think there are lots of fragrances that do it better and with more subtlety. And certainly for a lot less Euros. It even gave me a bit of headache, which, come to think of it, is kind of a deal breaker.
29th November, 2012

Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

The first Tom Ford offering I've sampled. It was spicy and kind of "noiry" and the ingredients were obviously top notch...
But I just wasn't really moved in any way. I'm sure some of Ford's prior offerings are fantastic, but this seems so been there, smelled that. I think Ford is all ready going overboard as far as output. Overextending himself as it were. I think quality and especially originality start to drop off when this happens. And his company isn't even ten years old yet, is it?
Chillax Tom. You're fabulous all ready. We know.
19th October, 2012

Nautica Competition (new) by Nautica

Have to agree with the other reviewers here. Just awful. Axe body sprays are 100 times better than this. What happened? I seemed to recall this juice being a refreshing, citrusy, classically cologney...maybe I'm thinking of the version in the silver flacon?
In any event, I found a huge bottle of this at Marshall's for only 20 bucks. Good thing I was able to smell it first. The top notes are great for literally 30 seconds and then it's just wash it off territory from there. This crap is like one of those "Our version of...so and so". No bargain at any price.
11th October, 2012

Encounter by Calvin Klein

Basically, an encounter with a medicine cabinet. Smells like the camphor note that's in so many old-timey "notions". I guess if you like that smell, then Encounter is fine. But most of us will recognize it as Calvin Klein's eleventh hour attempt at the fig thing, mixed with the currently rising in popularity accord of mint. I really wish this house would stop churning out these lame concoctions. Remember "calvin", Calvin? Remember Obsession for Men? I think the last good juice from this house was Eternity, and although it's not a favorite of mine, at least it was original and set a trend. This company has re-re-branded itself in the clothes department by going back to it's roots and dumping the "CK" thing. Now if they'll only do the same with the scents.
So there.
10th October, 2012

Alliage by Estée Lauder

I almost don't want to review this because I sort of want it to remain a secret. Albeit an open secret. And on the other hand, if nobody buys it, it will go out of production. I don't know how much better the vintage version is. Of course, when something is around for forty years, the vintage is always better. That being said; I'll take the current version of this ANY day. A dry bitter green with hints of floral. Said to be designed specifically to wear while playing tennis. And it does have a sort of gin and tonic straightforwardness to it...which is why I think a man could wear it as easily as a woman. It shares similarities with Azureee and Lauder for Men. In fact, it could be subtitled "Lauder for Men Light".
To sum: An excellent, forgotten but not gone fragrance from the Lauder house. Perfect for hot weather. And also cool weather. Tennis anyone? No tennis anyone?
Oh, screw tennis! Je' t' aime Alliage!
15th September, 2012

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

Just experienced this today from an ancient mini I came across. I find it to be much more a spice based scent than floral...let's say spicy floriental. It's like a sweeter version of KL (both Lagerfeld if I'm not mistaken). It is strong and long lasting, so only the eensiest bit is needed to avoid suffocation, for the wearer especially. It is an excellently done fragrance; very rich and intoxicating if you like that sort of thing. Probably better in cooler weather. I give it an 8.5 out of 10.
08th September, 2012

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

It suddenly struck me one day that this fragrance is the Italian response to Givenchy's way ahead of it's time Insense. Insense was perhaps the first intensely floral fragrance marketed to men. Uomo? even begs the comparison by asking whether the scent is for men or women with the question mark. Uomo? is a sunny, citrusy yet essentially floral fragrance. The floral sweetness in tamped down by the citrus, unlike in the case of Insense where they went for broke in the floral dept. I think Insense is a masterpiece. But the Moschino is far more versatile, and thus wearable.
When I worked at Macy's in the late 90's, I used to not wear scent to work, because every day I could try something new...as much as I wanted...and really get a feel for it. Of course, one is probably only going to like maybe half of what is available at any given time at the fragrance counter. Moschino Uomo? was instantly appealing. But I kept gravitating back to it. That one? Nah. This one? Ehhhh. How about that one? Oh, it's all right... And if I was in doubt, my hand would pick up the tester of MU? and it would be: That's it! It was a default, go to fragrance. Not to say it was a safe, pedestrian choice. No. As much as I came to depend on it, I never got bored with it. I think the mark of a truly great fragrance is that every time you apply it, no matter how often you have in the past, and how familiar you think you are with it; each and every time it is like new. It affects you differently with each wearing, seemingly altering itself to your moods. Moschino Uomo stands proudly on its own. A very old school kind of juice that is not prey to the whimsy one would expect from this designer.
Even though most of it's scent notes are aldehydes, it doesn't come across as synthetic. Citrusy into a smokey kind of vanilla and herb, maintaining the cirtrus zest throughout. It's a bit like Versace's The Dreamer, but much better. Much more natural in its execution. It's also strangely adaptive. Any time of year, any age of man, any occasion. It's a keeper...no ? about it.
16th August, 2012 (last edited: 25th October, 2012)

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

I just acquired this from Ebay for my mother-in-law. An unopened box of both the Eau and Extrait. I didn't open the extrait because it's sealed, but I did sample the Eau. Both can be no younger than 1988, so I'm guessing some of the more subtle aldehydic topnotes are diminished if not gone. But what remains, especially in the drydown, is exactly what I expected. A classic French style "floral aldehydic" which I find more of a balsamic oriental. It is heady and rich. Sort of a denser, more velvety, slightly musky Chanel No.5. One of those fragrances that is so rich and intoxicating, it's almost like eating dessert!
Please do not confuse "old school" with "old lady". Because this old lady is a classy classic (if not a classic cougar). Why on earth did Lanvin discontinue this? But if you seek out a vintage bottle of this potion, I'd be confident that it won't have "gone off". Or maybe I just got lucky?
11th August, 2012

Aqua Velva New Musk by Williams

I was a total Aqua Velva snob once. To me, this and Brut were the equivalent of a knuckle dragging mouth breather in a pleather burgundy jacket. Knuckle dragging mouth breathers do have their charms, but you'd never take one seriously outside of a birthday suit party. So imagine my surprise when one day I found myself in CVS sampling the neon bottles of this brand. I don't remember the others, but the musk took me by surprise and it was so doggone cheap I bought it immediately. The more I wore it, the more I liked it. It's a sweet musk, bordering on girlish. But so what? It's really pleasant. Shamu's take on this juice is a bullseye. It's great for layering and a great stand alone.
You know what it reminds me of? The little curio shops in Boston's Chinatown. One in particular. It smells exactly like it. Maybe that's what attracted me to the scent. It's mysterious, contemplative and a little sad...it takes me back to a time when I was beyond melancholy, shopping for Christmas gifts the day after Christmas; the ancient floorboards squeaking as I bought Asian novelties for everyone. A pretty, silent woman behind the counter, pretending not to watch me. Looking down at her Mao shoes whenever I glanced at her.
11th August, 2012

Norell by Norell

A classic. The new version stands up. This was from a cycle of heavy floral-cyphres from the late 60's...Estee Super, Ciara, etc. Perhaps the last gasp of old school, mink and diamonds, old money, country club, Mrs. Robinson style concoctions. Then, they would've bathed in it. To use it unironically today would require very deft application. But then again, it is a classic. Norell defines the word "luscious".
12th July, 2012

Essence of United Colors of Benetton Man by Benetton

I was at Marshall's today and found a 1.7 ouncer of this on the clearance shelf. Unopened and only $5.00, it was a blind buy I couldn't pass up. Especially since I've started getting into Benetton scents recently. My theory is that Benetton has something of a mill in which they wait to see how other house's scents go over in the market. If it's a success, they put out a new juice that's strikingly similar. It's this kind of volume, I think, that accounts for their prolific out put. But here's the upside...the Benetton version is often far better than the original, especially when you factor in price, strength, etc.
This Essence of Man is indeed similar to CKOne and Azzaro Chrome, two blockbusters for other firms. But I think "Essence" is much better than the aforementioned examples. The CK and Chrome are almost too much of what they are. They're both kind of runaway trains of the fresh-ozonic style. The Benetton fuses the better elements of both and comes up with a superior blend. Of course, this is all theoretical.
The end result is a fine fragrance that I could see wearing a lot. The drydown phase reminds me of the scent of a men's hairspray that was very popular in the 80's. It was called Consort. I'm not sure if they still make it, but this Benetton frag is totally bringing me back to the Big Hair decade in a good way. I'm remembering my best friend and I getting ready to go clubbing and him with his can of Consort, applying the finishing touches to his hair. All the boys wore hairspray then. This was before they invented "product"...Good times!
12th July, 2012

Kanøn by Kanon

Found this at Ross for a very low price. Tried it. To me it was an extremely light, vanillaed sandalwood. It wasn't bad. But it wasn't good enough for me to head to the register with it, either. Shiftybat is right on the money with the Canoe/Gucci comparison. Kanon is very up Tom Ford's alley...uh, that came out wrong. Kanon reminds me of the art direction of Ford's "A Single Man" movie. And I could imagine Colin Firth in that film smelling like this stuff. I guess if someone gave me a bottle of this I wouldn't throw it away, but I probably wouldn't wear it that often. Actually, now that I think of it...Kanon reminds me of Tabac, which I think is pretty awesome and jaw droppingly inexpensive. This Kanon experience has made me want to acquire a bottle of Tabac now. Funny how that works...
31st May, 2012

United Colors of Benetton Unisex by Benetton

This is a shameless carbon copy of Thierry Mugler Cologne. Or I guess you could call it an homage. Even the fluorescent green with the chrome accents of the package! The shape of the glass within the plastic box. And the smell of course. Pretty much identical. The plus here is that this sincerest form of flattery is almost every bit as good as the original. And you can sometimes find it at your discount fashion chains for a fraction of the price of the Mugler. Both are refreshing colognes in the classic mold with a twist on the "fresh" family of many recent fragrances. This is a great hot weather scent with a bit more longevity than your usual "cologne".
The package is a marvel in its own right, the flacon looking like something you might see in MOMA's permanent collection, or some such. It's a bit awkward to spray, however. Let alone stash in a bag.
25th May, 2012

Cabotine by Grès

To my nose an extremely green- bordering on citrus- white floral. It's as though you gathered up all the cuttings from a florists' floor and made the scent from that rather than the blossoms. It's very "stemmy". The fruit and base notes combine to make an unmistakable female scent. The right amount on the right woman with the right chemistry would be...just right! Anyone else, especially a man, should probably stay away. It seems Cabotine if overapplied could be much too overpowering. Obviously well contructed in the French manner with quality ingredients. It seems to have very strong projection/sillage and I'm guessing it lasts for quite a while. I'm getting images of Marie Antoinette wandering through Versailles on a hot afternoon...
Some perfumes really do only work on women.
22nd May, 2012

Chloé Innocence by Chloé

Found a mini of this at one of my thrift stores. Quick sniff, loved the flacon...home it went.
1996. White frosted glass. Fresh, watery, ozonic floral. Put this one right in line with Issey Miyake and CK one. Smells very much like a lost member of Klein's "One" and "BE" family of scents. I don't really know the original Miyake, but I'm guessing it's very much like Chloe Innocence. What I'm smelling is decidedly unisex, very clean, with lovely top-notes that border on the aldehydic without being synthetically headache inducing. It's light and fresh, but there's a darker note lingering in the background which gives this one some real character. It's a shame that some of these "also ran" fragrances that are produced to cash in on a trend are often better than the trendsetter they're emulating. They're put out to pasture pretty quick too. Such seems to be the case with Chloe Innocence. This is growing on me fast, but I don't want to fall in love with a ghost fragrance. Funny, the bottle kind of looks like a ghost too.
03rd April, 2012

Xi'a Xi'ang by Revlon

I remember the commercial for this. The way the man said "Zeeee, ahh, zeee-ahhng..." But I don't remember ever having smelled it until just the other day. I came across a bottle at a thrift store (I go on scent hunts...you'd be surprised at what you can find in thrift stores!) which was about a third full. I sniffed the cap and said "I'll take it!". The initial waft was intriguing and when I saw the name on the bottom, home it went.
Xi'a Xi'ang is incredibly good. Like a deliciously resinous and powdery bouquet of exotic flowers.
Revlon is usually quite dependable; occupying that rare niche between drugstore and department store (a niche which Revlon seems to have invented)-but this smells much more high end--in the YSL realm. And this does seem to be a latecomer to the oriental fragrance game of the mid 70's. A floral-oriental as opposed to a spicy one; perhaps because spicy had been so over done by the late 80's. But X-X doesn't seem to have found a core audience. It certainly wasn't publicized very much. That commercial only aired a few times. It's too bad. This stuff must be good, because my partner, who never says anything about fragrance, asked me what cologne I was wearing the other day. Revlon should bring it back. In a new bottle though. My only gripe about this is the bottle. It's a bit on the tacky side.
30th March, 2012

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

I found a bottle of this on one of my thrift store runs and since it was only a couple of bucks, and after a quick sniff, I brought it home. It was very light. So light, in fact, that it seemed to evaporate from the mind as soon as it was sprayed. And yet, it was compelling enough to keep me coming back for reassessments. Zegna is the purveyor of fine suits, and this scent lent itself well to fine suit wearing; especially in warmer weather. Outside of a suit, it was a bit too formal due to those spicy midnotes. Spicy notes always put me in mind of winter.
I guess I was sort of in limbo regarding Essenza Di Zegna (although I love that name! It rolls off the tongue with such elan). This failure of mine to commit to Mr. Zegna led to my giving the bottle to my BF for his briefcase cologne. One of the most important elements of the "briefcase cologne" is the flacon. It must be sturdy and lend itself to easy transportation and access. The scent, of course should be good, but is more or less an afterthought. The briefcase cologne is motored through rather quickly; which is alarming when he gets his hands on my Chanel Pour Monsieur. But smelling the EdZ on him grew on me. I realized the fragrance was rather intricately composed after all, and certainly was redolent of fine perfuming ingredients. I find it interestng that it was composed by Msrs. Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillas-- who have been hitting my radar screens a lot lately. They've composed many of my favorite recent scents...and strangely, many of my least favorite recent scents. I guess that qualifies them as LOVE/HATE perfumers. But that's good, because it means they know what they're are doing. They are creating scents with character and originality...quite a feat nowadays in the heady world of perfume.
25th March, 2012

Armani Code Sport by Giorgio Armani

Msr. Jacques Cavallier is the man I love to hate (Issey Miyake Pour Homme) and apparently now, hate to love. Which brings us directly to Armani Code Sport. I thought it was fantastic at first sniff. Unlike anything else out there now. Or Ever. I remember being taken aback at how great I thought it was. Usually you pick up a flanker and expect a leitmotif on the original. Or a lame original you forget about seconds later. Or not much more than a "meh". But this one was unto itself. A fresh take on mint that you don't even realize is mint until you find out it's mint. Then you go, "Oh yeah, that's mint, isn't it!" Imagine putting two sticks of gum in your mouth at the same time. One is Wrigley's Spearmint and the other is Juicy Fruit. Sounds strange, doesn't it? But strangely delicious too, right? That is Armani Code Sport.
Clearly Msr. Cavallier is a perfume talent. His list of creations reveals many excellent scents, and at least three block-busters. One of those is Issey Pour Homme, which was and still is wildly successful. I hated it immediately. I've never had anything make me more nauseated. Ditto on Opium Pour Homme. Insta-Migraine. But he also created Ultraviolet Pour Homme for Paco Rabanne. Another amazing scent that I loved immediately and was shocked that it never went to the Issey PH level of popularity. Sport Code seems to be eliciting a lot of "mehs" too. Well, I can't recommend it enough! Especially for hot weather. Merci Msr. Cavallier. I hate you.
Love, Me
14th March, 2012 (last edited: 28th May, 2012)

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

When I worked at Macy's in the early 2000's, you would often find me at the fragrance counters, sampling the new releases...hounding the ladies for samples. I vividly remember when Thierry Mugler Cologne was released. I zoomed in on it because of the color. I love fluorescent green. Then I remembered Angel and my hand drew back. But a quick sniff of the bottle and full spray later I was delighted. It was soapy, springy, fresh and yet unusual. It was what I had hoped the headache inducing Issey M. Pour Homme would have smelled like. Too, they had a similar vibe. That sort of synthetically fresh thing happening. But the Mugler had the soapiness. It even brought to mind that liquid soap you used to see in public mens lavatories. It was fluorescent green and resided in a bulbous hand dispenser. That stuff smelled pretty good too. I wonder if this was the mysterious soap of Mugler's childhood. And if that's the case; what was he doing in a mens room at such a tender age? But I digress.
Mugler Cologne was created by a Mr. Alberto Morillas, who I'm assuming is of Spanish extraction. A quick glance at his list of creations reveals a body of truly impressive work. He gave us Blv Pour Homme, a fragrance I've always found rather marvelous and unsung. It shares a certain quality with Mugler Cologne too. It's that decidedly soapy, clean and comforting, sorta barber-shoppy thing the Spanish do so well. Spanish and Portuguese soaps are heavenly! Again, Mr. Morillas may be Swedish for all I know; but he sure has a nose!
I would recommend this as a staple for hot weather and a great go to basic...Basic! Huh! Now that's something I never would've expected from Msr. Mugler!
27th February, 2012 (last edited: 11th March, 2012)

Lomani by Lomani

Interesting...
I bought Lomani at The Elizabeth Arden warehouse sale in Roanoke VA (awesome semi-annual fragrance fest!). I completely agree with the reviews and assessments of Lomani from some very trustworthy noses. Clearly, it struck me enough to buy it. On the other hand it was so low priced, it was practically free. But I must've recognized some quality ingredients going on there. It had a great citrusy opening, which I suppose was the clincher. It wasn't until the drydown that I had a problem. We were headed into major Drakkar Noir territory. Don't get me wrong. I like Drakkar Noir in an intellectual sort of way; but when it comes to having to smell it for more than five minutes, I simply can't take it. That note is there, as Oproust points out, in Bowling Green and Tuscany (two frags I own and love!)...but for some reason, as used in DN, I just can't stand it. And unfortunately, this is what happens to that note in Lomani. I was sad. I thought I had lucked into a little high quality, low priced secret. But alas, I had to send Mr. Lomani off the the thrift store.
27th February, 2012

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I have only one good association with Joop! (make that Joop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Pour Homme. And that's because I really liked the guy who wore it, and he didn't bathe in it. That was way back in 1992. Is this now considered a classic? Please, just because it's strong and unmistakable and still around doesn't mean it's a classic. Pine-Sol is all those things too and I wouldn't wear it.
J!PH smells to me as though someone accidentally dropped a gallon of Hawaiian Punch syrup on a freshly tarred road in late August. I find it one note. One GIGANTiC note that never ends. I sprayed one squirt on the back of my hand two hours ago and it's still going strong. My head is swimming. It's like I'm being gassed by a giant tropical fruit eating skunk. I've given Joop! several chances over the years and tonight was the last one. It's simply ghastly. Now pardon me, I have to go and take a shower.
16th February, 2012