Reviews by coastfansocal

coastfansocal's avatar
    coastfansocal

Success is the Essence of New York / Andy Warhol Success is a Job in New York by Bond No. 9

Success is a Job in New York is truly a great fragrance. Its sweet, creamy, spicy, floral and a paradox. Bond #9 fragrances are known for their incredible lasting power, and this one manages to stay "low key" its strong and you can detect the scent, but its not over the top. The vanilla and patchouli would typically make a recipe for a cream disaster, but the florals keep them in check. At first spray you can smell sweet cardamom and bergamot, it almost smells like almond oil. The rose and plum move it to make it fruity, and prevent the patchouli and vanilla from making the scent spicy.

This scent is truly a master piece since I have never smelled anything like it before! A Success indeed!

Kohdo Wood Collection: Lotus Blossom & Water Lily by Jo Malone

What a stunning release from Jo Malone! Such a beautiful, bright and linear floral scent! It stays true to its name and blossoms into a clean floral. Its sweet, but not sickening. Its fresh, but not suffocating. A great women's every day scent!

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

A very tart and fresh floral. The grapefruit and green mango make the scent so tart and tangy you want to pucker your lips. The florals move in and the lotus blossom/incense combo gives you a false sense of vetiver. It keeps the tangy citrus edgy, a very different type of floral. Not quite spicy but not quite fresh. Very tangy and very sharp, an acquired taste if you like that sort of thing.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Some people have compared this to Narciso Rodriguez, but it reminds me more of Eclat De Arpege by LANVIN. The apple martini, cedar and amber give it that fruity floral kick.

The patchouli is very high quality and manages to keep the fragrance "musky" without ever becoming spicy.

I have to hand it to Sarah Jessica Parker, I wouldn't touch most "celebrity scents" with a 10 foot pole, but she did her homework on this scent. A great women's scent for those who like musky florals. A hidden gem !

Santos Concentrée by Cartier

Hands down the best dressy evening mens fragrance ever made! Warm, woodsy, creamy, amber, smooth, deep and mysterious. Like other writers have mentioned, its what I imagine James Bond to smell like.

For some reason, it reminds me a lot of my trips to Saudi Arabia and Egypt in the winter. It must be the leather, lavender and juniper, giving it a fresh spiciness. Maybe its the Amber and Oak moss? Whatever is in this great fragrance, it makes me reach for my leather jacket in the winter on a night on the town. It so mysterious and women go crazy over this fragrance. Perfect for a black tie affair and great for the winter time!

I will agree with Foetidus, this is also in one of my top 3 fragrances of all time!

Santos Concetree is a Handsome Man in a Bottle..this is what separates the MEN from the boys.

Rocabar by Hermès

For some reason this scent reminds me a lot of Burberry Touch. Its very clean and warm, but the vanilla and juniper make it very creamy. A musky scent thats slightly warm and slightly fresh.

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Stunning. Timeless. Elegant and 100% Feminine. The scent is called "Carnal Flower" but it should be called "A beautiful woman"

One of the most beautiful floral fragrances ever made. By far the most lush, warm and powerful tuberose I have ever encountered!

18 November, 2009

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The worst Vetiver scent I have ever smelled in my entire life!! One word describes this scent: NASTY! It smells like a cross between a dusty old suitcase + cement+ moldy wood after the rain= Vetiver Extrarordinare. Such a disappointment! It smelled so hideous, even the sales lady at Barney's said "eww...yuck..I dont like that one at all" after I sprayed it. Carnal flower and Geranium Pour Monsieur were incredibly good..yet this was such a disappointment! Lorenzo Villarosi Vetiver is one hundred times better. Sorry Fred..I'll pass on this one..

18 November, 2009

Acqua Fiorentina by Creed

Smells a lot like the "Scent of Peace" from Bond 9 and "Light Blue" for women by Dolce and Gabbana

07 August, 2009

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

Oops!

After a long wait, many of us were excited about Brooklyn by Bond 9 but this scent is a great disappointment!

All I get is geranium and as SirSlarty stated "gritty" geranium.

I can barely smell it on my skin. It has the worst lasting power of any Bond 9. I hate to be blunt but even some Jo Malone scents last longer than Brooklyn on my skin.

After 10 minutes, Poof! gone

Such a beautiful bottle, yet such a disappointing fragrance!

02 June, 2009

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

I have a question for you

Would you pay 200 US dollars for a bottle of Cool Water?

If you are looking at me like I am crazy, let me remind you that I am not. That is what Chez Bond smells like, exactly like Cool Water with a slight reference to GIT by Creed.

This scent has a very feminine dry down and there are so many Green Irish Tweed clones these days, if you buy a cheap knock off from Target or Wal Mart, or buy this scent from Bond 9 no one will really know the difference.

Its more violet scented and feminine and less herbal and masculine than GIT.

I will stick with GIT,

The least original and most obvious blatant knock off of Creed from Bond 9. I think I will pass...

02 June, 2009

Forest Rain by Kiehl's

Musk, Fresh and Masculine..

Its a combination of clean vetiver and mossy woods with the drydown of Kiehls Musk. Long lasting, much longer than the original Kiehls musk..highly recommended! good stuff!

04 May, 2009

Kohdo Wood Collection: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone

This is a very nice scent, smooth, warm, amber...so inviting and lush. Very masculine, Along with the Amber&Lavender , and the "Vetyver" by JM this is probably her most refined and distinct men's scent.

The only problem is that its a dead ringer for "Black Walnut" at Banana Republic . Seriously, go to your local Banana Republic in the mall, smell the "Black Walnut " and then smell the Dark Amber and Ginger Lily. They are so close in comparison its almost scary.

Dark Amber and Ginger Lily is great but for the money and longer lasting cologne...Black Walnut by Banana Republic sounds pretty good. Especially in this terrible Recession of 2009

28 April, 2009

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Smells clean and fresh, no woodsy/warm/caramel dry down from me. Sillage and longevity is great, but it smells rather common lik OV by CREED

27 December, 2008

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Incense and a touch of Jasmine, Smells like the inside of a temple in India or China. It reminds me of that smell when you walk inside an Indian grocery store, spices, cardamom and jasmine, not a bad scent, but its not something I would want to smell like personally.

Maybe with the right chemistry on a woman, but no man in his sane mind should wear this.

27 December, 2008

Sweet Lime and Cedar by Jo Malone

Its okay but it becomes really creamy and woodsy after a while. It kind of makes me want to throw up, similar to the effect of smelling too much "coconut" in a fragrance. This has no vanilla but its a very "Creamy warm woodsy" type of cedar and the lime vanishes after the first minute. Maybe its the tonka bean that makes it too creamy?

The longevity is great for a jo malone, probably the longest lasting jo malone out there, but still...I would much rather own vetyver by Jo malone, its more woodsy with a touch of orange and nutmeg, Creamy but not too creamy like sweet lime and cedar

05 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2009)

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

This smells exactly like walking inside a Hindu Temple, Sikh Temple or Mosque in India. its very incense and smokey. Its not bad, but unless you want to smell like burning incense sticks out of a religous temple, I can't understand why anyone would want to wear this cologne? You could get the same effect but sitting in a room with incense sticks burning and have your clothes smell smokey and woodsy.

Don't get me wrong, I like the smell of Incense sticks , but I can't possible think of a reason why anyone would want to smell like it?

Nectarine Blossom & Honey by Jo Malone

I agree with the EBBELINE, it starts off fresh and fruity, kind of like sweet peaches, but turns into a sour metallic rusty smell. It gets bitter with age and all thats left is the smell of sour alcohol, similar to starch you use when you iron your clothes. I still think Orange blossom is the best floral by jo malone

Park Avenue by Bond No. 9

Reminds me a lot of Bulgari Pour Femme, not a bad scent at all, but just kind of over priced. It is long lasting, but there are other scents out there that stand out for less money. Feminine and floral with a hint of musk, not too spicy. Not bad, but not worth the price

Central Park by Bond No. 9

I LOVE THIS SCENT!! I think its more suited for a man than a woman since its very cedar/spicy and patchouli with citrus overtones. Its great for every day or even on a cold night for a refreshing-spicy pick me up. Highly recommended! If you are a man and want a spicy scent, consider central park, over the too aquatic and generic chez bond, wall street and hamptons (all blatant creed knock offs!)

Central park is truly unique and exquisite since there is no other scent on the market that smells like this. Chinatown, Eau De NY, West Side, and Nuits De noho have this characteristic, worth the big bucks and highly recommendeD!

22 November, 2008

Nuits de NoHo by Bond No. 9

Smooth and Exotic.

At first I smelled the vanilla and patchouli combo and thought "yuck, this is just like Angel for men, disgustingly syrupy and sweet!", but then I found something so different and distinct.

Nuits de Noho is like Angel for men /women in the sense that its a vanilla/patchouli combo but it comes across more refined, posh, spicy and sensual.

NdN seems like a gourmand fragrance at first, but it doesn't go over the top to irritate your senses. The best thing about NdN is that there is NO COFFEE AND NO CHOCOLATE IN THIS SCENT!!

My guess is that Angel was supposed to be like NdN, but comes across sickingly sweet and nasty. Many people love or hate Angel, but nearly everyone who has smelled NdN loves it. The lady at Saks in Beverly Hills said both Men and Women wear this scent. Its perfect for the winter...Sensual-musky- a touch of vanilla and patchouli.

Perhaps the greatest strength of NdN is that it combines Pineapple and Jasmine with the base notes of Patchouli and Vanilla.

Its a fresh-floral meets spicy-creamy combo thats very warm and inviting. Don't be fooled by the "vanilla" in this scent, its not a disgusting vanilla...its not cloying at all.

To understand the extraordinary sensuality of this scent, do the "soothing test". Spray a few drops on your wrists and walk outside when the weather is cold, like in winter. Smell your wrist, its so warm, musky, floral and fresh and the same time.
    Its almost like Nuits De Noho is a perfume version of Cognac in the winter time, it keeps you all warm inside! :)

Highly recommended for both men and women! BIG THUMBS UP!

11th November, 2008

The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9

I agree its a light like light blue. The dry down is the most important feature of this scent, and it smells exactly like light blue. Save your money and buy D&G light blue

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

A cheap synthetic knock off Creed's Imperial Milesime. I have heard the Bond 9 references to be knock offs of Creed and this is the most obvious. I am extremely disappointed by this scent. I thought" Wow! Wall street...masculine, spicy.. a manly man scent!" and..then..I smell it..and what do I smell??

CUCUMBERS!!

What kind of a wall street bond trader or investment banker walks up and down the street smelling like cucumbers!!?!?! Its a lot like Imperial Milesmile but has a cucumber scent instead of a melon watery opening. The staying power is weak and it smells like cheap vodka after a while.

This scent smells a lot like Sean John by P diddy. Wall Street is overall just Not a very good fragrance with poor lasting power.

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

Masculine, Unique, Slightly Aquating yet incredibly Spicy. This is best Bond 9 fragrance I have ever smelled for Men! The staying power is excellent, and the compliments dont ever stop from strangers!

It starts off with a pineapple, aquatic and fresh opening. The violet and pineapple work together and grow into a distinct tropical aquatic to a barely noticeable floral. As the fruit and freshness of this scent fades after the first 10-15 minutes the lily of the valley lingers for a few minutes and begins to get warm. The sandlewood, amber and oakmoss begin to grow. It starts off a bit fresh and simliar to Creed's Erolfa and Silver Mountain Water, but then turns into something so rich and rare:

It transforms into a masculine powerhouse scent similar to the legends of the 80s (Think Santos by Cartier, Antaeus by Chanel) and becomes the epitome of a dressy evening fragrance for men to wear. The lasting power is unbelievable and I have never smelled a fragrance that has this chameleon like character- transcending fresh, fruity, floral and finally masculine.

I know that spending upwards of 200 bucks for a cologne is quite pricey but Riverside Drive is worth every damn penny! A BIG THUMBS UP!

Great Jones by Bond No. 9

This is a dead ringer for Paco Rabanne. It smells woodsy, warm, a little sandlewood and a lot like men over the age of 40+ . This is not a bad scent, but everyone asked me if I was wearing paco rabanne. If they cant tell the difference why should you? This scent costs 180 bucks and paco rabanne is 38 bucks...you do the math..

Nouveau Bowery by Bond No. 9

This is a dead ringer for Jo Malones Lime, Basil and Mandarin. However, this is much better! The problem that many people have with Jo Malone is that her scents dont last very long and this one lasts very long.

It isnt EXACTLY like LBM by Jo Malone, but its EXACTLY like the TOP NOTE of LBM. It stays lime-refreshing all the way through with just a hint of basil. A lot of people dont like LBM because after 20 minutes the lime and mandarin is gone and all that is left is the wilted smell of basil, but this is the opposite:

After 20 minutes Noveau Bowery is still lime and crisp but with just a touch of basil. If you like Jo Malones LBM, buy this instead, It has better staying power, longer lasting and more citrus-refreshing appeal

Saks Fifth Avenue for Him by Bond No. 9

This smells ....ok? I put four sprays of this on me and walked around the South Coast Plaza mall after visiting Saks and someone asked me if I was wearing Polo Black. The lady at nordstrom asked me if it was Armani Mania? Don't get me wrong this scent is not bad, but its just...(Shrugs shoulders) ....ok?

If I am going to pay 185 bucks for a cologne, it better make me feel special, unique and be unlike anything else on the market. This smells like another one of your polo's, armani or calvin klein mass marketed fragrances you smell at Sephora or Macys.

Lasting power isnt very good either. I still think the best masculine and spicy fragrance Bond 9 makes is Riverside Drive

02 April, 2008

Angels of Florence by Santa Maria Novella

Stunning. Timeless. Elegant and Classic. I bought this for the love of my life and she said its the best fragrance she has ever gotten. It reminds me of "J'adore" by Dior. The scent of a beautiful woman in a bottle.

16 December, 2007

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

I am not joking: This smells exactly like Vicks Vapor rub!!

Its really kind of chemical and medicine smelling. I agree that it smells like a hamsters cage cedar chips.

I sprayed it on my skin and it smelled like Black pepper.

This fragrance should be called "Vicks Vapor Rub-Black Pepper Blossom"

03 May, 2007

Black Vetyver Café by Jo Malone

Gross. Will give you a bad headache after a while. It kind of smells like John Varvatos for men.

I myself am just not a coffee person.

If you want to smell like freshly ground coffee beans this is for you.

03 May, 2007