Reviews

Reviews by BlackAmberMoon

Stella by Stella McCartney

Adore Stella. Wearing it, I feel like a well-heeled British lady in the 1930s, walking through a garden in the early morning. A cool, slightly sweet breeze lifts the scent of dewy roses to my nose, as my dashing suitor steals a kiss.

Vintage romance at its best. Bliss.
05th February, 2012

RSVP by Kenneth Cole

My boyfriend has been wearing this lately, and I like it more and more all the time. The drydown is especially sexy and makes me want to bury my face in his chest. Masculine and erotic, it has an animalic quality that I love in men's fragrances. Thumbs up!
16th June, 2010

Asja by Fendi

A great spicy oriental which deserves to be more well known. Reminiscent of both Poison and Opium, Asja is much softer and easier to wear. Previous reviewers have described it very well, so I won't repeat, but I am definitely a fan. The bottle reflects the perfume's character perfectly, and it also allows you to display the scent without exposing it to light - a big plus. Asja is a must try for fans of classic, spicy orientals. It's getting harder to find online, but can still be had for a very low price.
30th January, 2010

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Love this in the EDT (I understand the EDP is very different, but have not smelled it). It's amazing on my boyfriend, drying down to a masculine woody scent with just enough vanilla to round it out without sending it into the candy zone. He wore it tonight while we were out to dinner, and it was just right--I'd catch a slight whiff of it now and then--perfect sillage. Wonderful masculine evening scent.
26th July, 2009

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Really have to be in a certain mood to wear Covet. Occasionally it smells clean and fresh to me, but at other times the white florals and lavender are just too much and bother my sinuses. Be careful not to over-apply or it can smell like cleaning products!

At least it's nice to see a mainstream release that's a departure from yet another fruity floral. I give SJP a lot of credit for trying to create distinctive and classy perfumes. Lovely is wonderful.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

A*Men induces the same nausea for me that the women's Angel does, but B*Men is just right. It's drier and more masculine, with just enough gourmandy sweetness to make it a romantic scent. I really like this on my man.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Ummm....no. This is just wrong for a straight man. Much too sweet and feminine--nauseatingly so, actually. Prefer the more masculine B*Men.

Euphoria Men Intense by Calvin Klein

Very nice amber oriental. Sweet opening, but becomes less so as the vetiver, herbs, and cedar emerge. It's sexy and cozy at the same time. Long lasting. Masculine. Definitely one I'll want my man to wear often, especially during fall/winter.
05th July, 2009 (last edited: 11th July, 2009)

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

Well behaved, classic-smelling, with a very subtle seductive edge. In keeping with the Bvlgari aesthetic, Jasmin Noir is not a "big" perfume; it sits quietly on the skin. Good for women who are looking for a sexy yet mature scent. Appropriate day or night, for most any occasion--it's quite versatile. Gorgeous bottle.
27th June, 2009 (last edited: 16th July, 2009)

Crystal Noir by Versace

Screechy, loud white floral. Ghastly.
27th June, 2009

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Kenzo pour homme stands out in the genre precisely because it does not have that dreaded synthetic "marine" note. It smells salty, herbal, and slightly spicy. Very nice. Excellent longevity, too. Only eclipsed by Bvlgari Aqva--to me, Aqva smells exactly like the ocean, whereas Kenzo smells like a grassy field slightly inland.
14th June, 2009

Rush by Gucci

Read Luca Turin's positive review on this, and wondered if we smelled the same fragrance. I find Rush to be obnoxiously vile. I love a good powerhouse scent, but this thing is just a mess to my nose. C'est la vie...
14th June, 2009

CK In 2U Her by Calvin Klein

Basically a trashy citrus/vanilla/musk, but I admit, I like it. It's friendly and easy to wear. The cedar in it is reminiscent of the original Burberry scent in the round bottle. Will undoubtedly appeal to teens and the college crowd.
06th April, 2009 (last edited: 11th July, 2009)

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

As much as I love the house of Bvlgari (and Cavallier), I feel The Blanc is the most uninspired of the tea line. Smells like an average skin musk. It's not awful by any means, just doesn't intrigue me.

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Simple, refreshing citrus that dries down to an aquatic musk. Not a groundbreaker, but I like it much better than others of its kind. Topnotes are addictive. Though it's made for men, easily unisex. I like to wear it on hot days or when I'm exercising.

Mira Baï by Chopard

Casmir on training wheels. Not terribly fond of the overly-zingy bergamot topnote, but once that fades, it's a pleasant, sweet skin scent. The praline basenote is delicious, but the whole effect is VERY subtle. This woody oriental is best suited for warmer weather...would disappear in winter. Love the adorable bottle. Still much more fond of its big sister Casmir, though.

Emporio Armani Diamonds Intense by Giorgio Armani

I really like this one. Has more personality than the original. I'm a spicy oriental girl normally, but I've been searching for something more subdued and work-appropriate that still has personality. This fits the bill nicely. My male friend said it reminded him of a really nice cup of tea, in a good way. Gets sweeter as it progresses, but never morphs into candy, thankfully. I find it soothing and subtly sexy. Reminds me a bit of Still by JLo (perhaps it's the freesia?), but this is much better. If you like Still, chances are good you'll enjoy this one.
20th February, 2009

Prada (new) by Prada

To me, Prada is an "Obsession Lite". More transparent than Obsession (and Prada has more patchouli), but it's an Obsession knock-off without a doubt. I still like it, though, but the lasting power is awful. If I had to choose between the two, Obsession wins hands down.
05th February, 2009

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Intoxicating and intriguing fragrance for men - there is really nothing out there like it. It has a BIG personality and LOADS of anise, so stay away if you're looking for something subtle. Some men might think it too feminine; it is quite sweet. Requires the right sort of personality to wear it well--it's not for everyone. Most certainly try before you buy.
03rd February, 2009

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Dirty English is old-school - in a good way - just like Burberry London. I love these leathery, spicy orientals on men. Very sexy!
28th January, 2009

Private Collection Amber Ylang-Ylang by Estée Lauder

Elegant, comforting, and sensual at the same time. Doesn't smell like Gaultier2 per se, but has the same effect: warm, sweet, skin scent. Loving it this winter!
27th January, 2009

Pleasures Exotic by Estée Lauder

A clear, refreshing, green scent that I enjoy wearing when I need a lift. It smells clean without being soapy or using that dreadful "marine" note. Quite calming, too - I wear it when I practice yoga. Not a seductive scent; rather, it's great for the office and/or hot weather.
26th January, 2009

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Calming, refreshing, Zen-like fragrance that I love to wear while doing yoga or when I need to be transported to the fresh outdoors. So well done. Enjoy it much more than Mediteranee, which is too bitter.
25th January, 2009

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

As much as I adore Bvlgari fragrances, this is a big no-no. MUCH too much of that overly done, synthetic "marine" note that I can't stand. Enough already! The original Aqva is fantastic, however.
04th January, 2009

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Bvlgari nailed it with this one - this is the best aquatic I have ever smelled. I agree with previous reviewers that it does indeed capture the true smell of the sea - minus that awful, synthetic "marine" note (steer clear of the newer version of Aqva, which has this note in abundance). Classy, fresh, and sexy at the same time - well done! Beautiful bottle, too.
04th January, 2009

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

This is a "mood" fragrance for me. As a woman, I receive many compliments when I wear Blv Notte for men - no one has mentioned that it smells too masculine. It's refreshing and rich at the same time, like those delicious ginger candies dipped in chocolate, yet the wood notes prevent it from smelling like food. My boyfriend wears it occasionally, too, and it is sexy on him as well. For those searching for something unique and eccentric.
01st December, 2008

V Absolu by Valentino

Very likeable scent for me...not a must have, so I won't purchase a bottle, but would happily wear it if received as a gift. Enjoy the original, too.
08th November, 2008

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

Just beautiful. Feminine in the extreme, even innocent. Delicate rose mingles with violet and blackberries, giving it a youthful vibe. This is not your grandmother's rose. I picture this on a blonde bride, or a young woman lunching at the country club. Not a femme fatale fragrance, just a femme one....
07th November, 2008

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

I really like Sensous. Doesn't bowl me over with originality, but it's a very pleasant, warm skin scent. It's subtle (once the initial pepper note burns off) and appropriate for most occasions. Similar in feel to Gaultier2. Nice departure for Estee Lauder.
03rd November, 2008 (last edited: 04th January, 2009)

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Love this on a man, even if a bit sweet. Yum!
31st October, 2008