Reviews by BlackAmberMoon

Black for Her by Kenneth Cole

This is a safe floral, nothing more. I was disappointed, because I love the packaging and was expecting something edgier and more exciting. Oh well.
19th April, 2008

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

I'm a woman, and I really like this one on a man. It's well balanced with a sexy edge, but doesn't try too hard. Good for sophisticated men 30+. Love the bottle.
08th April, 2008 (last edited: 27th October, 2010)

L'Oranger Néroli by L'Occitane

One of the best things I have EVER smelled in my life! Previous reviewers did an excellent job describing this scent...all I can do is repeat every positive comment! Heavenly, dense, exotic, lush...a dream in a bottle! If you like dense orientals, this is a MUST have.
08th December, 2007

Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana

Sicily does not make it for me - too reminiscent of 'old school' strong chypres of the 70s (Halston, anyone?). I can see this maybe working on an elegant woman over 50, in small doses. Very small doses.
08th December, 2007

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Love the opening notes, but the drydown is so-so. Overall, a nice, unoffensive scent to take you from day to night easily. A good "go-to" scent when you can't decide what to wear.
28th November, 2007

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Ghastly and vile on my skin; literally makes me nauseous. I was embarrassed to walk around smelling of this, as you absolutely can NOT scrub it off. The notes *sound* good, and I love many gourmands, but unfortunately Angel is more like a Devil on me.
28th November, 2007

Tokyo by Kenzo

Hints at something nice but never fully develops, then *poof* - it's gone. Waste of money.
26th November, 2007

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

I love this on a man. Boozey and smokey-sweet, like good pipe tobacco. If you're a sophisticated intellectual who enjoys a single malt scotch at the club, this is your fragrance. It's old school masculinity, in a good way! I can picture Sean Connery wearing this. Thumbs WAY up.
26th November, 2007

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I've only tried the EDT version, and enjoy it. A creamier, sexier version of SJP's Lovely (though NR came first). A sophisticated musk, it would be appropriate day or evening, in most situations. I don't find it particularly sexy, but rather classic and and ladylike.
24th November, 2007

Hypnotic Poison Eau de Toilette by Christian Dior

How I *wish* I got all of the wonderful things out of Hypnotic Poison as the rest of you! I really want to love this, but on my skin, it's all root beer and some strange plastic-y note. Sigh. Every time I see it, I try it again in the hopes that one day it will work for me...so far, no good. Oh well, at least I have my Jungle L'Elephant by Kenzo!
03rd November, 2007

Magical Moon by Hanae Mori

MM is a heady floriental with a good dose of incense. I don't like the initial blast, but when it settles down it is enchanting. Sillage is moderate; it stays close to the skin. It's nothing like the original "Butterfly" - don't buy Moon if you're expecting it be sweet and innocent. This one has an edge.
23rd October, 2007 (last edited: 03rd September, 2016)

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

I echo the sentiments of Nlb's poetic review. This is an absolutely beautiful perfume which deserves time to develop on the skin to appreciate all its charms. It is one of my absolute favorite comfort scents, and never fails to lift my spirits. Just wonderful.
23rd October, 2007

Midnight Poison by Christian Dior

It's a big rose and patchouli bomb - in a good way. I love the roar of patch at the outset, but the drydown becomes primarily all about the rose. I would have liked it even more if the rose weren't *quite* so prominent...maybe balanced by a few spices...but this is my type of fragrance - bold and sexy. Finally, a version that lives up to the name Poison. Gorgeous blue bottle, too.
20th October, 2007 (last edited: 23rd May, 2008)

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

The One's topnotes instantly reminded me of Light Blue, but richer and more sensual. The drydown is all amber and vanilla, but the fragrance stays sheer and subtle throughout. My guess is that Light Blue lovers will enjoy this, too. I liked The One, but the drawbacks are that it has minimal sillage and doesn't last very long. If you don't mind reapplying, it would be fine. Not full bottle worthy for me, but I would wear and enjoy it if given as a gift.
20th October, 2007

Poison by Christian Dior

A very important thing to note about Poison - it should *not* be worn in the EDT version. The EDT is the obnoxiously loud version that many people detest. But, the Esprit de Parfum is a totally different animal; incredibly soft and beautiful, it floats off the skin and is absolutely delightful. A small dab to the neck is just perfect. I believe this was the perfumer's intent and is how Poison should be exprienced. Such a shame that this amazing fragrance's reputation has been ruined by the ghastly EDT.
20th October, 2007 (last edited: 28th April, 2010)

Madness by Chopard

I quite like this. First impression wasn't positive (I think I was expecting a sweeter, richer scent), but after a few more tries I now appreciate its dryness. Top notes remind me of a glass of peppery Shiraz, then the wood and leather notes emerge and it become more animalic. It is a tad masculine, but I personally don't mind that. Not one of my favorites, but interesting nevertheless. Worth a try if you enjoy spicy, woody chypres like Fendi.
13th October, 2007

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

Having just purchased Black Orchid and falling in love with it, I was so looking forward to sampling his offering for men. I was disappointed; it smells more mainstream and ordinary than the edgy, unusual Black Orchid. Surprised me, because I thought Ford would be even more daring with his men's creation. Perhaps I would have liked it more had I never smelled Black Orchid - she's a tough act to follow! I'll give it another whirl sometime, but for now I feel sort of blase about it.
12th October, 2007

DKNY Delicious Night by Donna Karan

A grown up version of Karan's Delicious line. As the name implies, it's richer and deeper than the others. The fruit sits in the background, which I prefer. Patchouli is very evident in this, so if you don't care for that note you probably won't like it. An all around nice fragrance, but I'm not bewitched by it so probably will not purchase.
12th October, 2007

Just Me by Montana

Very good sleeper that, as cedric says, deserves to have a chance to be discovered. Spicy/musky/citrusy, bright and sensuous, this is a glorious scent. Sillage and longevity are excellent. If you like Theorema by Fendi and those types of fragrances, give this a try. Extremely sexy.
09th August, 2007

Pleasures Delight by Estée Lauder

The only version of Pleasure that I really like. Reminds me a bit of Hanae Mori, but less sweet and a bit more complex. I would definitely purchase this one.
26th July, 2007

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

I love this type of scent, spicy and cozy. I can see the comparisons to Opium, but they are each unique. Cinnabar is more of a 'comfort' scent, whilst Opium is a seducer. Overall, I think Opium is a much more complex scent. Cinnamon does dominate Cinnabar, so if you don't care for that note, you probably won't like it. Opium, Cinnabar, and Kenzo Jungle L'elephant are all great choices for cool weather and perfect around the holidays.
26th July, 2007

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

London makes me literally weak in the knees! I do have a proclivity for spicy, masculine scents on men (no more aquatics, pleeeease!), but London has an extra special *something* that makes me swoon. Aromatic, woodsy, spicy, delicious without being foody or vanilla-y, I think (hope) it's a modern classic in the making. Absolutely perfect for fall and winter.
22nd July, 2007 (last edited: 17th May, 2008)

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

Amazing, wonderful, just about perfect. It manages to be lush and full but wonderfully dry at the same time, like a good glass of wine. Nicely balanced chypre with no one note dominating. Rich yet subtle. I was so happy to find this, as I enjoy exotic scents, but I wanted something more sophisticated than a heady vanilla oriental. This fits the bill perfectly! Has a place in my permanent, top ten rotation. A classic in the making.
21st July, 2007

Ciara by Revlon

Go girls! So glad to see these positive reviews of Ciara! I love this scent. I don't care if it's from Revlon and you can buy it at the pharmacy - it's just good, period! If it were packaged in a fancy bottle with a designer name and three times the price at Saks, people would probably rave about this scent. No, it's not particularly refined or subtle, but neither is Angel or dozens of other more respected fragrances. When you want a heady, sweet, seductive fragrance, Ciara fits the bill perfectly. Wear it and hold your head up high!
21st July, 2007

L'Eau Bleue d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Very aromatic, herbal, unusual scent that I absolutely adore. Different from the mainstream fragrances popular in America, but it deserves to be more appreciated. This is such an incredible aroma. It transports me to the deep forest on a moonlit night - it has a bit of magic about it! Very masculine, but I wear it when I'm home alone just to smell it. I would LOVE to smell this on a man. The new "eau fraiche" version of smells nice, but much more mainstream and I'm sure will sell better. So sad this is being discontinued. Ten thumbs up!
19th July, 2007

The Dreamer by Versace

This is one of the most intriguing scents I've ever smelled. Right from the first spritz you know you're in for an eccentric journey. Initially off-putting, but after a few minutes my nose was glued to my wrist. Herbal, woody, slightly sweet but not in a candy-ish way - there's also a note in there that's a little offensive, but I like that! Unlike other reviewers, I do not find this overly sweet at all. If you like L'Eau Bleue D'Issey you must try Dreamer.
19th July, 2007

Carlos Santana for Women by Carlos Santana

Wonderful, spicy, sexy fragrance. Give it some time to dry down before you make a final decision as the initial blast is a bit overpowering. Men love it. Great job, Carlos!

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

Fabulous. Finally, a new men's fragrance that actually smells manly! One of the few fragrances I smell on a man that is an instant aphrodisiac. Enough said.

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

What IS it about Cool Water?? I just don't "get" this fragrance, neither the men's nor women's version. They both smell below average and uninspired to me - *however* - I am disappointed that I don't get that visceral response to them, because when people love Cool Water, they seem to looooooooove it on some deep primal level. I'm not a perfume snob (I love Aspen on men, for instance), but this stuff just leaves me cold. Sigh, oh well. Can't love 'em all, I guess.

Émeraude by Coty

Emeraude is a sentimental favorite of mine. My favorite aunt wore this and it was gorgeous on her. I don't wear it personally, but it always brings a smile to my face when I smell it and think of my wonderful aunt...
15th July, 2007