Reviews by BlackAmberMoon

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Most D&G fragrances are just too much for me, but this is lovely. It's refreshing and crisp with good sillage. I like this and Jardin sur les Nil by Hermes for summer.
02nd July, 2007

Casmir by Chopard

Casmir is a sentimental favorite of mine - it was one of my first "real" perfumes of my early 20s. I love everything about it: the exotic name, the gorgeous bottle, and the sweet, sexy, earthy juice inside. It dries down to an incense skin scent that is just wonderful, and fits my personality perfectly. Though some might think it elegant, I like to wear this when I'm feeling relaxed and casual; it's great paired with jeans and a sweater, and the patchouli and sandalwood gives it a slightly retro, hippie vibe. I feel very natural when I wear Casmir. Men seem to love it, too, which never hurts. ;-) A definite must-try if you enjoy woody orientals. Michael Almairac also created the original Burberry fragrance for women (round bottle, amber colored juice), another winner. I hope to always own a bottle of Casmir...
02nd July, 2007 (last edited: 19th July, 2008)

Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

My first reaction was, "This is a MEN'S fragrance??". It's incredibly feminine. I like it, and might just purchase some for myself! I'm a woman, by the way... ;-)
22nd June, 2007

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Being a huge fan of the original Coco, I had put off trying this in fear of smelling my beloved perfume completely ruined. I was relieved to discover that I didn't despise it, that it actually did retain some of the lovely qualities of the original. It is nice, very French, but doesn't match the edgy sexiness of the original. Although, with the name Coco Mlle, I'm sure that wasn't the intention anyway. It is what it promises: Coco for a young, intelligent woman. I'm hoping it will inspire a new generation to discover the original as they mature.
22nd June, 2007

Pure Turquoise by Ralph Lauren

I'm generally not a fan of floral/green chypre type fragrances, but I really like this one. It has that "marine" note in it which tempers the florals to an acceptable level and makes it feel more modern. It is potent, so I only spritz once on the cleavage or on the back of my knees - spraying it on my neck bothers my sinuses. This is a great choice for warmer weather and appropriate for work.
09th June, 2007

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

Well, at 40 years old, I'm not one of the "younger ladies", but I enjoy and will wear this perfume. Nicely balanced, with a spicy/woody drydown that is wonderful and will be especially nice for fall and winter. The perfumer that developed it, Rodrigo Flores-Roux, also created Donna Karan's Black Cashmere and her new Gold, so although they used a celebrity to market this, it's still a quality fragrance developed by professional perfumers! Well done in my opinion.
07th June, 2007

Opium Fleur Impériale by Yves Saint Laurent

This is one of my favorite spicy orientals, along with Fleur de Shanghai. It has everything I love about the original Opium, but without that pesky carnation note. It's neither light nor heavy, just right for summer and fall evenings. Dries down beautifully, surrounding you with a soft veil of floral spice. Just lovely!
03rd June, 2007

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

Uplifting, beautiful clean floral. I'm usually very cautious of florals, as they can smell very sharp and bitter to me, but this has a refreshing quality that makes me feel happy. Very French. Love it!
28th May, 2007

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Cherie reminds me of a drier, crisper Hanae Mori Butterfly. It's not a sexy scent, just very fresh and effervescent. Sweet, yes, but not too much. I really like it, and the men seem to LOVE it. Sometimes I think, at 40, that this is too youthful for me to wear, but I will anyway! ;-)
06th May, 2007

Still by Jennifer Lopez

Very surprised that I like this one, as I really dislike all her other fragrances. This is soft, feminine, and unobtrusive - a good choice when you don't want your perfume to make *too* much of a statement. Doesn't have the WOW factor, but it would be nice for the office, weddings, etc. I like to wear it when I'm doing yoga...it's kind of zen. ;-)
02nd May, 2007

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is fabulous on every level. Eroticism in a bottle, but somehow it also manages to be elegant and restrained...still trying to figure out that paradox! But I don't care, whatever it is, I love, love, love it!
20th April, 2007

Inis by Fragrances of Ireland

A woman at work wears this and it is stunning on her! I just ordered it and can't wait to have it. I'm usually drawn to orientals, but if this smells as good on me as it does on her, then this is one fresh scent that I plan to have in my collection for a long, long time. It truly does transport you to the edge of the sea on a cool, spring day. Amazing.
09th April, 2007

Sheer Obsession by Calvin Klein

I'll jump on the minority couch with ubuandibeme - I love both the original and Sheer Obsession. The sheer version has the advantage of being more versatile as it's not nearly as assertive as the original. I wear Sheer when I want to whisper sexy, and the original when I want to shout sexy...n'est pas? ;-)
09th April, 2007

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Big thumbs up from me - I enjoy this very much. It's softer, rounder, and richer than most tea fragrances. Yes, it's subtle, but that is Bvlgari's trademark and what makes their products unique. If you want a perfume that shouts its presence, this will disappoint, but I love to wear this when my nose has grown weary of heavier scents. It has a soothing, calming effect - simply delightful!
07th April, 2007

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

WOW. One of the best new releases in years, and destined to become a cult classic if not a true classic. Impossible to draw comparisons, as it is like nothing I've ever smelled. A true example of artistry in perfumery.

Powerful opening - earthy, boozy, dark, slightly dangerous, intoxicating. The truffle note is brilliant!. So thick, it feels like velvet on the skin. Evocative...conjures up images of a moonlit dark forest heavy with evening mist...night blooming flowers...witches burning ceremonial incense. I feel mysterious and powerful when I wear it. Unlike others, I do not find the drydown disappointing at all; it may not be as explosive as the opening, but the vanilla/sandalwood/incense combination is very well done and so relaxing...like that peaceful feeling after an intense orgasm. To me, wearing Black Orchid is the olfactory equivalent of fantastic sex. Needless to say, I won't ever be without a bottle...
08th March, 2007 (last edited: 27th June, 2008)

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

An assertive, overtly sexual fragrance that I really, really like. As with most Chanel perfumes, this requires a certain sophistication and assurance to wear well. Best suited for the evening and cooler weather. Incredibly potent and long lasting, only a *tiny* spray is needed. Any more than that and this would easily overwhelm and become annoying to those around you. It's lovely and worth a try if you enjoy fragrances like Coco and Opium.
08th March, 2007

Coco by Chanel

Simply gorgeous, a masterpiece floriental, one of the best perfumes in the world. This take a certain sophistication to wear well. Other perfumes come and go, but this and Opium will always have a place in my collection.
08th March, 2007

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

I go back and forth with this one. It's definitely the best CK release since Obsession, but I can't help but think I've smelled this a million times before. However - the more I try it, the more I think it really *is* quite unique. Sweet, yes, but also smokey and rich in a way that I like (has the same "feel" as Trouble by Boucheron). More sophisticated than your run of the mill fruity fragrance, for sure. I can certainly understand its popularity, and maybe that's one of the reasons I hesitate to buy a bottle (hate smelling like everyone else!), BUT I have a feeling a bottle will end up in my collection in the not-so-distant future. ;-) Definitely has the "yum" factor!
06th March, 2007

Burberry Brit by Burberry

This is a fragrance I've always felt *should* work for me...but it doesn't. I think the lime is the deal breaker for me - Brit just has too much going on at the same time. It's like a teenager who can't decide what it wants to be when it grows up. It left me wanting more. Funny thing is, I think I'd enjoy smelling this on someone else, I just wouldn't buy another bottle for myself.
06th March, 2007

Trouble by Boucheron

Wonderful, just adore it! I haven't yet tried Hypnotic Poison or Addict (to which this is often compared), but this is a keeper for me and I will always keep a bottle in my rotation. Overtly sexy in a fresh, modern way.
02nd March, 2007

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

*A woman's opinion*...oh my, oh MY! This is one SEXY SEXY fragrance. Something in this (neroli??) drives me wild. Men, if you want to seduce a woman, wear this. Period.
01st March, 2007

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

I found this for a steal at TJMaxx today. The combination of neroli, plum, and sandalwood sounded very enticing, and the packaging and bottle are absolutely gorgeous, so I bought it (BTW, I'm a woman, but occasionally wear men's fragrances). I like it well enough, but was hoping for a little more exoticism, more uniqueness. I'll have to try it a few more times before I reach a final verdict. My 17 year old son really likes it, so at least someone in the house will enjoy it!
24th February, 2007

Opium Fleur de Shanghai by Yves Saint Laurent

It took me a day or two to "get" this fragrance. I bought a small sample, and on first application, I wasn't exactly thrilled, but definitely intrigued. BUT the next morning, I smelled a faint trace of it on my clothes and thought it was absolutely intoxicating. It's everything you appreciate about the original Opium, but more demure and with a subtle sweetness the original lacks. Very disappointed this is only a limited edition - I plan to stockpile this beauty. Next to try is the Imperiale...
19th February, 2007

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

This scent took months to grab hold of me. A man I dated a couple of years ago told me this was his absolute favorite on a woman, so I purchased a bottle. The first spray - yuck. Same with the second, third, and so on. Even my boyfriend didn't like it on me, said it smelled "different" than he remembered. I thought maybe it was just the EDT that smelled funky, and wanted to purchase the parfum, but was afraid to spend that kind of money on something I didn't love. I wanted SO much to love this legendary fragrance. I adore spicy orientals in general, and they usually smell great on me, but this one just refused to comply...until recently. I sprayed some on before bed a few weeks ago, and woke up to the most GLORIOUS, seductive scent on my skin. I have no idea what prompted this change...it's the same bottle, and no dramatic changes in body chemistry for me...but I don't care, I'm just glad it happened! Now I wear this fragrance almost daily (or, more accurately, I think it wears ME). I ran into that old boyfriend recently, and he said "Is that Opium? It smells heavenly on you!". *Smiles* Time to finally splurge on that bottle of parfum...
19th February, 2007

Incanto by Salvatore Ferragamo

If Chloe and the original Burberry collided, you'd get Incanto. I agree with lefay's comment - it's a pleasant scent, but nothing extraordinary. If you like either Chloe or Burberry, you'll probably enjoy this. It's more of a daytime/office scent than a sultry evening one.
07th October, 2006

Spiced Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

I'm wearing this today, and enjoying it, but I have to be in a certain mood to wear it. I tend to reach for it when I'm relaxing at home alone, or before I practice yoga. I find it a calming scent. Despite the fact that it's spicy, it still retains a sheer, refreshing quality. I don't think of this as gourmand at all as it's not heady or sweet. This could be worn year round, and it's subtle enough to be appropriate for the office. This is a fragrance for casual activites when you don't want your perfume to overwhelm. I do prefer this over the original Green Tea; it has more character and smells more complex. However, I still think Bvlgari makes the best tea fragrances overall.
30th September, 2006

Bulgari pour Homme Extrême by Bulgari

Words cannot describe how much I love Extreme and the original, Pour Homme. They're both so elegant and refined, subtly sexy. I think they both would be appreciated by an older, more sohpisticated man, one who doesn't want to his cologne to jump out at everyone. As far as lasting power, my boyfriend wears both, and I can smell them hours after application, but he can't - so perhaps it's just a case of the wearer's nose getting used to the scent. Sillage is great, in my opinion.
26th September, 2006

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

Jungle L'Elephant is one of the most extraordinary perfumes I have ever smelled. Even if I didn't love it, I would still admire it. Very simply put, it's asian spice market meets Christmas baked goods, with a smooth undercurrent of creamy licorice tying it all together seamlessly. Musky woods, ylang-ylang, and patchouli hover in the background, lending the composition an animalic sensuality. Longevity is superb, and it continues to develop hours after application. Many reviews classify it as a gourmand, but I have to disagree: woody oriental better describes it. Jungle is too dry and sophisticated to be lumped into the candy-vanilla category.

Jungle is a quirky, eccentric fragrance, and therefore likely to be appreciated by quirky, eccentric people. It will never be a crowd pleaser, but those who love it REALLY love it. I'm one of them!
13th September, 2006 (last edited: 28th August, 2009)

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I'm not usually a fan of chypres, but this I really like! It's very versatile and can go from the office to a night out easily, and could be worn in all seasons. Will definitely be a staple of mine.
10th September, 2006