Reviews by trikkirikki

Miss Charming by Juliette Has a Gun

On my skin, this scent is all about roses. Sure, I'm getting some seriously ripe wild rasberries, but the overall impression is somewhat powdery roses. Intoxicating, blooming roses, the kind that almost makes you go all woozy. It's not the most exciing fragrance, but it's gorgeous in its own right.
29th July, 2012

J'Adore by Christian Dior

I really want to like this. It's fine on paper, the notes should work really well together, and I love this type of fragrance in general. But when it hits my skin nothing happens. It smells the same throughout, from top to base. The plum gets sticky sweet on my skin, and there is nothing there to balance it out. Maybe its just chemistry.

It's still pleasant enough, but dull, so dull.
Everyday wear for someone else, not for me.
04th January, 2012

Joop! Le Bain by Joop!

My darling husband found this at a discount counter in a tax free shop in Poland, smelled it and bought it straight away for me since "it smells like something you would love". I confess to never giving it a thought before, but I was really pleasantly surprised.

I haven't got a clue to what the notes are, but straight away I get sugared almonds, and loads of them. There's fresh tobacco in there as well. The almonds, though sugared, are not overly sweet at all, I think there is a bitterness there too.

It keeps evolving throughout the day, and at one point I got the same vibe as I remember getting from Rochas Byzance (although I haven't worn Byzance since the 90's, so don't take my word for it). There's vanilla there, and I get tonka too, and the overall impression is a comforting yet saucy gourmandeish scent that doesn't come close to smelling like any of the other scents I own. I really love it!
18th June, 2011

Brindille by Galimard

A very clean, fresh jasmine. No frills, just the pretty, clean jasmine. Absolutely gorgeous, I wish more people will discover this gem.
03rd June, 2011

Soir De Grasse by Galimard

Wonderful simple violet scent.

It starts off quite green and dries down to a soft, powdery violet, without being cloying. The jasmine lingers in the background throughout, but the star of the show is the violet. Reminds me of Violetta di Parma but not as sweet, maybe it's the citrus and the greens that does it? Well worth a try if you're a fan of violets. Lasts all day long on my skin.
18th April, 2011

Yavana by Galimard

Yavana could be a long lost relation to both Youth Dew and Tabu. To my nose they all sort of fall into the same kind of category. What makes Yavana so billiant are the rich, citrusy top notes. The bergamot, lemon and orange blossom becomes a very ripe, juicy, spicy orange on me.

Unfortunately, the top notes dies rather quickly, I would have loved to see the rich orange continue in the middle notes. The dry down gives me a lot of carnation and something resembling nutmeg, even though it's not listed as a note. It's spicy, rich and the amber is gorgeous. I wish for more people to discover this.
27th January, 2011

Eau de Star by Thierry Mugler

Once I got over the overwhelming watermelon in the opening, and that took a looong time, I found this to be an ok younger relative of Angel. I've never seen the pyramid for Eau de Star, but I recognize the feel of it and some notes from Angel.

The watermelon in the top is really obnoxious though, and it takes a very long time to dry down. In fact, I don't think it ever goes away, I suspect my nose just got used to it. On the plus side, the scent mellows to a pleasant level just when I think my nose is about to go numb.
03rd March, 2010

Ma Griffe (original) by Carven

What's that you're wearing? You smell like washing up liquid! my husband said. It was no such thing as Fairy liquid, it was Ma Griffe.

The opening is indeed very citrusy green, and it goes on for quite a while on my skin, making me feeling very fresh and clean. The drydown is a typical, old fashioned chypre drydown, exactly the way it should be done. It's a very classy fragrance, perfect for all occasions.

Needless to say, I like it so much more than my hubby does. I'm not sure though that it's that great on my skin, but I can appreciate it as a good scent.
07th February, 2010

Cuir by Lancôme

I can't say anything about this that hasn't already been said.
It was love at first sniff with this gorgeous, soft leather. The opening is a burst of citrusy flowers, but the dry down, oh the drydown...simply marvelous.
The sillage isn't as strong as I had expected, which is a good thing since I prefer it when I enter the room at the same time as my fragrance, not shortly after. It sits nicely on me as a second skin. Or, for that matter, a sleek, soft leather glove.
30th January, 2010

Venise / Venice by Yves Rocher

It's been a long time since I last visited Venice the fragrance, but my memories are all good. It's a beautiful oriental and I can agree that it reminds me of Kingdom. The body lotion is superb and if you can find anything in the line, it's well worth a try.
26th October, 2009

Galimar by Galimard

This was such a surprise!
With the opening being very citrusy-fresh with nice, ripe, warmed-by the-sun oranges and lemons, I wasn't sure what to expect from the middle- and basenotes. As it is supposedly an oriental, I couldn't fit the fresh fruit with the concept. The citrus lingers for quite a while, then the cinnamon and nutmeg hits me.

How beautifully sweet the spices stand out in front of the vanilla background! Iris and jasmine stays in the background on my skin. The patchouli is rather soft and blends perfectly with the vanilla and spices. Not at all offensive or in-your face.

I would say this scent is perfect for all occations, evening, day or night. It makes me feel very confident. The sillage is just right, this isn't a scent which enters a room ahead of you.
04th September, 2009

Baroque by Fragonard

The ginger hits me in as it opens, it's nice and not at all over powering. It lingers in the background for quite a while. As the flowers settle, the base gets a powdery feel to it which isn't at all unpleasant. The overall impression is good, a nice, straight forward floral with a nice ginger twist and a powdery drydown. On me, the edt lasts forever.
30th August, 2009

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Where are all the reviews from the ladies?! I received this for my birthday, my husband bought it when he was in Rome. Indeed it has a bright, almost sharp citrusy opening, quite green, and it briefly reminded me of Bandit. The sharp citrus mellows and I get the light florals. I love the lavender! An over all, easy to wear, genderless summer classic.
23rd May, 2009

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

On me, it's all about the cardamom. My co worker pin pointed it some time ago; "you smell like a cardamom bun", and she couldn't stop sniffing me. Of course, it's so much more than this. Dzongkha takes almost a metallic, cool turn, but it's also very green and almost herbal at times. It's hard to find the right words to describe this scent, but one thing is sure - it's unique.
07th April, 2009

Love is all by Guerlain

This is quite a sweet, girly, young scent. Maybe not your typical fruity floral, but the passionfruit in the top notes certainly steals the show and lingers for quite a while. It stays just long enough for me, if it had stayed any longer it would have been too sticky-sweet.

It calms to a not as sweet, but actually quite lovely blend, but it's still rather bubbly and playful. Not too bad at all, and far better than most fruity florals out there.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Rhubarb by Comme des Garçons

It starts out quite sharp and very green to my nose, and i'm not extatic about the opening at all.

When it mellows it gets creamier and less sour, but it still has the tangy rhubarb note very much present. I think it's a very good fragrance if green and tangy is your thing, but unfortunately, it's not mine. Nice for spring and summer.

Dirt by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is my first ever Demeter fragrance and I had to get it simply because its name. The name is spot on since the scent itself smells exactly like the soil in my flower pots just after I've watered the plants. It's slightly moist soil to my nose, not very complex at all.

I'm not sure if I find it very wearable though, but it's great for layering. The lasting power is close to non-existing, but the whole thing is a laugh since Demeter always delivers exactly what they promise.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

I recently bought this unsniffed, or at least that's what I thought. It was a bargain, so I thoughht it would be worth the money to try a classic.

To my surprise I immediately recognized the scent as my dearly departed Nana's favourite. Her scarves used to smell of it when I was little and before she moved on to Dune when she was in her eithties.

This is such a comforting scent to me, probably because of my Nana's love for it, but also for my love of lily of the valley. They grow in my garden and I always get a bouquet for Mother's Day. To me, Diorissimo is the one perfume which smells closest to that bouquet. It's a lovely, pretty, timeless scent, good for both old and young. A true classic.

Sublime by Jean Patou

I recently got the Edp, unsniffed I admit, but I love other Patou scents and the deal was great. When I first sprayed it on my arm, I thought it was overwhelmingly powerful and not in a very good way. I thought it might have been a waste of money...

The dry down seemed to take forever, but when it finally calmed down I'm left with a complex, yet soft flowery chypre. It's very warm and comforting, the jasmine and orange blossom stands out in my opinion. Together with the warm vanilla and amber base, I now know it's a keeper! I'll have to apply it in small doses and not just before leaving the house. The sillage is good and the lasting power seems to be excellent.
12th July, 2007

Ysatis by Givenchy

I think this is the one fragrance I've had the most compliments on. I used to wear it when I was in my early twenties, and I have to say that the men (boys!) loved it! It's very seductive but can easily handle casual wear too. The jasmine is gorgeous and stands out in my opinion. As far as I can remember it has an excellent staying power. It might just be high time for me to revisit this old favourite.
25th June, 2007

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

It's very sweet and reminds me of children's sweeties. I appreciate the violet which is very pretty, but the overall impression is sickly sweet and it can't be used in big doses or it'll give you a headache. It's not the way to go if Guerlain want to reinvent themselves!
11th June, 2007

Gucci Eau de Parfum II by Gucci

This is a summer favourite of mine. On looking at the notes alone it would be far too sweet for me, and it is rater sweet, but it's not cloying, maybe because of the fresh top notes. It is one of my husband's favourites on me, he can't get enough of it, and I suppose that's a good thing. On me, the violet is the star of the show, and also the note that lingers the longest. It has very good staying power and it doesn't get in everyone's face as it stays quite close to the wearer's skin.
11th June, 2007

Darling by Kylie Minogue

When I first sprayed this on my arm, all that was there was an overpowering, sweet and cloying burst of flowers and some fruit. Though there was something behind it all, wanting to come out, and after a good few hours there's a pleasant creamy vanilla amber left. It feels like good quality stuff, at least it's a lot different from all the other celebrity fruity florals (with SJP Lovely as an exception). There's no place for it on my shelf though.
28th May, 2007

Precious Heart by Guerlain

This is really growing on me. It's a fresh floral without being dull, but it's certainly not the most interesting fragrance out there. I agree that this could be an introduction to the fabulous house of Guerlain for a younger wearer, since it's well made and despite the fresh feel it has a classy feel to it.
26th May, 2007

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

This is a staple in my wardrobe, I love it. It opens up with the violets, they are nearly over powering to start off. As the violets mellow down (but they don't go away!), soft and rich vanilla kicks in, and to me there´s warm milk and almonds in there somewhere too. Stunning, absolutely stunning. I can't wear it when it's too hot outside though, it's too much "in yer face" mixed with the heat.
10th April, 2007

Rykiel Rose by Sonia Rykiel

This is not for me. Pretty enough I suppose, but it gets too sickly sweet only shortly after applied.
05th March, 2007

Bandit by Robert Piguet

I decided to buy this, unsniffed, on a whim after reading so much about it. I'm happy to say it didn't disappoint.

It starts out with almost unbearingly sharp green notes, but on me the dry-down comes fairly quickly. It's soft, powdery and gorgeous. It reminds me of the way my grandmother used to smell, like very exclusive soap. The juice certainly has a vintage feel about it and to me it's neither raunchy nor overly maculine, just very comfortable and classy.
17th October, 2006

Violetta di Parma by Borsari

I've found my perfect violet scent! It should really be too sweet for my taste, but I really love it. Not too green, slightly powdery after the dry down. Beutiful and at a great price.
02nd October, 2006