Reviews by Randolph314

Randolph314's avatar
    Randolph314

L'Eau de Jatamansi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

There is a lot going on this little bottle. It's complex stuff. I don't know what Jatamansi smells like in its natural state, but the easiest way to describe L'Eau de Jatamansi is that it's a fruitier and spicier version of sandalwood, or maybe a spicy iced tea you can wear. There are a lot of different notes mingling in the background - in particular I notice something resembling orange peel and cloves. It smells a little different every time I try it. Overall I like it, although the longevity could be better (as could the price).

16 July, 2007

Eau d'Iris by Heeley

I wasn't sure what to expect from this, not knowing what Iris is supposed to smell like. I can't speak as to the flower, but the EdT smells like a cross between black licorice and tonic. I can't say that I'm crazy about it, especially since it doesn't last long, but if you like Iris, it's probably worth a try.

Vetyver by Fragonard

I want to like this, but it's a little old school for me. It's by no means bad, but it's a heavier and darker take on vetiver than I'm used to, and I can't see wearing it often.

Suivez-Moi by Fragonard

This is simplistic, but pleasant. The main note is a sort of generic sweetness (vanilla, I suppose, but mostly what I smell is sugar). That's balanced somewhat by a small amount of citrus. It's inoffensive and vaguely enjoyable, but it doesn't last. That's a killer.

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I don't know what everyone else is getting out of this that I'm not. It smells well made - everything by L'Artisan does - but I don't like the notes. I can't detect any rum or lime. If they're in there, they're dominated by this vegetal note that's an unpleasant cross between wheat grass and celery salt. Regardless, this doesn't last long.

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The scent is very nice - very distinctive and sophisticated and generally pleasant. I usually don't like herbals scents, but this one is done right, with the right amount of warmth to balance things out. Unfortunately, it doesn't last at all on me, which is really unusual for an L'Artisan product. It's undetectable in about 30 minutes.

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I really expected to like this. The reviews are generally very positive and I quite enjoy XS (regular). This is just too fruity, though. It isn't an issue of it being too feminine, it's just not an appealing scent regardless of gender. It reminds me of bubblegum.

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

My flight home out of Charles de Gaulle airport was overbooked and I ended up having to kill about 6 hours in the terminal before catching the next one. Fortunately, the duty free shop had an unusually good selection of colognes, including everything made by Hermes, Givenchy, and Guerlain. Out of them all, I liked this the best. It's a little on the feminine side but it's distinctive and tropical and herbaceous and . . . just very nice. It's not overpowering but it lasts forever.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I really like this scent. It's not anything revolutionary but it manages to project a sort of creamy bergamot that's incredibly pleasant. Unfortunately, it doesn't project well and it doesn't last at all on me. If Armani ever comes out with an extreme version, I'll be the first in line.

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Because of the tuberose, this really reminds me of Do Son by Diptyque. It's too feminine to be called unisex, it's too sweet, and it's too short-lived, but it's not bad.

The Dreamer by Versace

I tried this before buying and thought it was worth getting a bottle. It seemed sophisticated and different. As soon as I put it on at home, though, I was disgusted. The tobacco note is just too strong. I feel like I've rolled around in pipe ashes. It has excellent longevity, but whether that's a good thing depends on your feelings for the scent.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

When this is first applied, it smells incredibly synthetic, like burnt plastic. That ruins it for me, although the scent does mellow into something that's more wearable after a few hours. Lasting power is good.

FCUK Him by French Connection

This smells like bubble gum, and not in a good way. It's also extremely weak. Stay away.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

Not bad, but the vanilla makes it too sweet for my taste. It doesn't last long - only 1-2 hours. Casran is a better, more durable take on the same theme.

Eau de Hongrie by Fragonard

This is one of the better jasmine/bergamot scents out there, but it's just not a combination I enjoy. It doesn't last long and, like a lot of the Fragonard scents, it smells dated. Also, the citrus note is out of place.

Do Son by Diptyque

Like all of the Diptyque line, Do Son is a very refined and intense approach to a particular theme-tubereuse in this case. I don't think this is very suitable for men, and I much prefer Jardin Clos among floral scents by Diptyque. But, if you like tubereuse, definitely give this a try.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Points for originality, but not for composition. I don't generally like the scent of mint, but it's particularly problematic here because of how it conflicts with the hazelnut. It leaves the whole thing smelling like an inferior, funky version of Tommy Bahama, or maybe Le Male. The longevity is good.

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Diptyque never fails to innovate. This is a really interesting take on sandalwood. It smells very specifically like unfinished wooden furniture to me, but in a good way. It's fresh and distinctive. It's not my favorite sandalwood scent-that honor probably goes to Creed-but I could definitely see wearing this once in a while. The longevity could be better, but isn't terrible.

Mare by Beth Terry Creative Universe

This is definitely the best recreation of the smell of the sea that I've encountered (with Aqua Motu by CSP the runner-up). But, I still don't find it very pleasant because of the latex-like note provided by the seaweed and kelp. I would have much preferred just a simple emulation of salt water.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Too much musk and too many florals. It comes off very heavy and stale.

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

It's unreal how similar this smells to an ivy patch. I don't particularly like the smell of ivy, but this is a high quality reproduction of it. It's very similar to Poison Ivy by Demeter.

L'Autre by Diptyque

This smells exactly like cumin. It's not horrible, but I can't imagine ever wanting to smell like I doused myself with cumin.

Rain by Demeter Fragrance Library

Demeter should rename this "dog that's been in the rain." It smells exactly like wet fur. I don't like it.

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

This is extremely similar to Very Cool by Tommy Bahama. I'm not sure why they felt compelled to make them both. The mint dominates in both, creating a heavy, herbal scent (which is somewhat surprising given the tropical image the brand is known for). The main difference between the two is that Tommy Bahama for Men is also smoky and a little fruity while Very Cool really smells of rum.

I don't love Tommy Bahama for Men, but it's not a bad fragrance. You need to like mint to enjoy it.

13 November, 2006

Apple Pie by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is one of the better Demeter scents I've tried, although that's not saying much. It's much less synthetic-smelling than most of their line. It doesn't really capture the pastry quality of apple pie, but it is a fairly accurate reproduction of apple pie filling (apple and cinnamon). Unfortunately, like most Demeter scents, the longevity is atrocious.

Poison Ivy by Demeter Fragrance Library

I'm not sure exactly what poison ivy smells like, but this certainly smells like ivy. I can't imagine many people wanting to reek of ivy, but if you do, this is a near perfect rendition. This is unusually good among Demeter fragrances with regard to its longevity.

Jardin Clos by Diptyque

To start, this is laughably feminine for a scent that's purportedly unisex.

With that being said, it's nice, although not very complex. I can barely detect most of the notes because of how strong the lilac is. I don't think this is really appropriate for young women, but for an older woman in a formal setting it might work really well.

Philosykos by Diptyque

I'm stunned by how well Diptyque reroduced the scent of figs. This is one of the most natural, fresh scents I've ever smelled. It's also easily the best use of fig I know of, although Marc Jacobs is the only other fragrance I've tried with a strong fig note.

I don't really like fig as a fragrance note, so this isn't something I would wear often, but it's extremely well done. Curiously, it manages to stay close to the skin yet last quite a while.

Eau Lente by Diptyque

Eau Lente is really fantastic, and totally unlike the other scents I've tried by Diptyque. I'm not someone that really loves spice fragrances, but in this case it works.

Eau Lente reminds me quite a bit of Jaipur Homme (by Boucheron) because of the cinnamon and clove. This is a bit spicier though, and also richer. I could swear there's amber hiding in there somewhere. Maybe Opopanax smells like amber.

It also lasts forever. And, it somehow manages to be masculine and refined at the same time.

Olène by Diptyque

This is patently unwearable by men. Even on women, I don't think it's that great. The white florals are very vibrant and pure, but they're also extremely heavy and not balanced by other notes. As a result, it smells dated.