Reviews

Reviews by SniffR

Néroli by Annick Goutal

I love this scent! I have a special affection for the bitter leaves and the orange blossoms, and both elements are present here. To make it last longer, I spray it on clothing. I find the scent very uplifting and feminine. I believe the bottle I have is from last year; I intend to purchase one from 2007 to compare. Other Goutals I enjoy: Le Jasmin, Mandragore, Eau de Fier
14th July, 2007

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

I got ashtrays full of stubbed-out cigarettes from this one, so I didn't pursue it any further.

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange

Ah, the life of a spy carrying precious information through a cold forest filled with leafless trees. You can smell the dried woods and herbs and the rare comfort of a crackling fire in a temporary place of shelter, with perhaps a tinge of burned documents. This scent inspires me, I love it!

Vierges & Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange

I get a wonderful duality here, a blend of traditionally feminine and masculine notes, and it works beautifully. Though if you are looking for the passion, seduction or hero worship implied by the title, it's not here. A pleasant scent with a clever title.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

On me, this scent was linear black tea with some faint woodsy/smoky accents. I think this could be a fabulous creation if the woods and herbs were made stronger. The black tea (lapsang souchong?) is a good start, but it is missing complexity and depth. A pale cousin of Gucci Pour Homme I.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

It started off with a pleasant burst of lime, lasting for almost an hour, then close to the skin I could smell a blend of coconut and woods for the next few hours. It's a very quiet scent on me, something I would use on a warm day or night when the glacial blasts of Slatkin Absinthe or Guerlain Mentafolia would be too much. I wish this had more sillage, like MPG Bahaiana, because the coconut part is really intriguing. I can easily see this being worn by any age or gender.
31st May, 2007

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

This is a warm, comforting, woodsy/ambery blend that smells fantastic on women as well! My favorite winter scent.
25th May, 2007

La Chasse Aux Papillons Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I agree with Silkandsteel - this is a bright, vibrant spring floral that is unlike any other. I get wafts of hyancinth when I wear this, and the lasting power is superb. Happy and feminine. I much prefer this over the non-extreme version.
03rd February, 2007

Fair Verona by Strange Invisible Perfumes

The most lasting, rich neroli scent I've found yet, with interesting accents added by the other notes in the blend. Very feminine and pretty, a wonderful scent for day, although for the price ($185 a bottle) you will want to save it for special occasions. It has more presence than Le Labo Neroli 36.
28th January, 2007

Black Rosette by Strange Invisible Perfumes

A soothing scent that to me is all tea, smoke and leather, with a wisp of rose popping up now and then. I would definitely consider this a unisex scent. I am in the process of saving up up to buy a bottle, as I find there is a real difference in using perfume made with natural ingredients. From the notes, you would think Bulagari Black is a close match, but that scent is all rubber tires on me. Black Rosette is the way you might smell after spending all night in a tea house somewhere in Central Asis.
28th January, 2007

Fendi Uomo by Fendi

Spicy, complex and wonderful!
11th November, 2006

Angel Schlesser by Angel Schlesser

This is a close to the skin, quiet and spicy scent, unlike anything else out there. I would consider it for men or women. In terms of an incense scent, it is a few steps below Monk in intensity. A pleasant discovery.
09th November, 2006

Lavandula by Penhaligon's

I get the fresh, intense scent of true lavender and not a hybrid from this scent. It is uplifting and calming at the same time. This scent should be unisex, there's nothing particularly feminine about it.
04th November, 2006

Djin by Michael Storer

Wow! Spicy, heady stuff, especially that first spray. Not for the timid. The dry down lowers the volume by a notch or two so you can smell the different notes. There's something sweet in there but this is not a sweet scent overall. Love the bottle design and the color of the juice (purple). Like all of Storer's scents I believe they will work on women as well as men. Even though it's not for me, I do consider it a well-crafted scent. I prefer Monk's calm but steady presence to Djin's more excited demeanor.
03rd November, 2006

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Palisander by Comme des Garçons

This is wood at its most sublime, with a hint of spice and sweetness. Could be worn by either men or women. Sequoia is a very pleasant wood, but Palisander has an extra depth and excitement.
18th October, 2006