Reviews by Adepta

Adepta's avatar
    Adepta

Verveine / Lemon Verbena / Eau de Verveine / Verveine d'Eugène by Heeley

This is not a life changing perfume, but I like it very much. I find it very wearable: restrained, elegant and original, perfect, I think, in hot weather and for the office
    It starts with slightly bitter and pungent notes, and a bit of the astringency of sap, then it gets more tonic (as in tonic water) and I can smell some of the metallic sourness of rhubarb.
    I realise that from this description it can sound unpleasant, but it isn't: it is crisp, reserved, efficient, unadorned, but unconventional.
    I am more and more impressed with the Heely line.

30th December, 2010

Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I have and love Hiris by Hermes, so I wanted to try more iris, and based on the reviews (mistake!) I bought this one.
    Ugghhh!
    I don't understand how it can be described a gritty, earthy, austere. I guess my nose misses something, and probably I'm not sophisticated enough, but to me it smells artificial, powdery, cloying, perfumey - in short, all I dislike in a perfume.
    Compared to it, Hiris shines even more: it's sober, bracing, fresh, elegant, subtle.
    To me, Iris Bleu Gris is perfume an old lady of not particularly refined taste could wear.

29 May, 2010

Hiris by Hermès

Off-Scenter (whatever happened to Vibert??) has it right: Hiris is transparent and refreshing, feminine but restrained, floral but crisp, slightly bitter, slightly green, clean, sober and very elegant.
    To my nose it does not smell powdery or "perfumey" at all, but rather natural in a sophisticated way.
    On the other hand, I cannot stand the much-prised Iris Bleu Gris, which I find artificial, cloying, powdery and old-fashoned (in a bad sense).
    One of my all-times favourite floral fragrances.

29 May, 2010

Terre d'Iris by Miller Harris

To my nose, this is quite disgusting. It's extremely sweet, powdery, sickeningly floral.Very powerful on first application, it takes a while to tone down, and still remains sickening, sweet, with just a hint of spice. A grandma perfume, but a not very refined grandma.
    The notes are bergamot, bitter orange, southern herbs, rosemary, clary sage, orange flowers, rose, patchouli, tree moss, fir balsam and iris, but they hardly give an idea of this prefume.

17 November, 2009

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

In the same family as the wonderful Ofrésia by Diptyque, but more naturalistic and slightly more feminine. On application, it's an intense burst of fresh, real lilacs, but it also reminds me of hyacinths blooming close to the most dark earth in spring. At once flowery and green, sweet and pungent. Olivia Giacobetti is a genius.

17 November, 2009

Patchouly by Etro

A very refined and yet earthy and sensous patchouly blend - try it if you like patchouly, the concept of orient, and a bit of mystery, but do not want to smell too exotic. This is a rather severe interpretation, an elegant and adult perfume. Excellent.
    -- Edited May 2011.

19 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 03 May, 2011)

Ofrésia by Diptyque

I really fell in love with this one - it was March, and I was in the mood for spring, wanting new clothes, a new haircut, new scents... And this one did it: it is so green and vital... I never wear flowery perfumes, but this one can hardly be called flowery: it is just... like fresh and tender green new things growing from the moist soil in spring. Moving and inspiring.

L'Eau Trois by Diptyque

I have a suspicion - people from the US often are just unable to appreciate scents that are somewhat unusual, strong, or oriental - I think some of them have a strong dislike for pachouli, myrrh, incense and similar scents, which they identify - who knows why - whit bodlily odors. Could it have something to do with an exaggerated tendency to so-called hygiene, which is misinterpreted as the neutralization every trace of natural odor? That said, I think this perfume is excellent, even if not suited for all tastes. It starts as a fresh and aromatic herb mixture, which rapidly evovles to a pungent scent of resin, and finally takes on a scent of incense - but not the one you burn in sticks, the arabic one you buy in form of resinous grains - I think this is the myrrh comings out. Warm, oriental but sober, spiritual, well suited for autum and winter. More male perfume, probably, although I as a woman really love it.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

Don't know how this review ended up here: it is for Eau Trois, and I had posted it there! I can't figure out how to delete it.

19 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 08 November, 2009)

Sandalo by Etro

Has been my favourite for years - classic, unobtrusive, with a touch of mystery. Maybe a more feminine interpretation of sandalwood. You can't go wrong with this one.