Reviews by Clare

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Great stuff, I get lots of vetiver from it as well as a little of the beautiful church incense from Avignon. I get the "white smoke" and a little nutmeg as well. The drydown brings the incense up over the vetiver - this stage is fantastic.

Although I do wear quite a few "masculine" fragrances, as a 28 year old woman I think I would get some odd looks if I doused myself in this one - it strikes me as very "manly" although not in a "this smells like a million other men's colognes" way. If you do wear this type of scent I'd highly recommend trying it.

Tam Dao by Diptyque

This is nice, but I don't think it's exceptional. It's a very light fragrance with some sandalwood, other generic sweet woodsy notes, and in the drydown something like maple syrup emerges. To my nose there's some similarity to Feminitè du Bois which probably signals the presence of Iso E Super.

It's a white and pale green sort of scent; if you prefer lighter scents and aren't a fan of incense/wood fragrances in general you may get along with this one. It's quite pretty but I can't picture myself wearing it - I prefer my incense/wood to be loud and aggressive (back to CdG then).

Philosykos by Diptyque

Very pretty. The top notes really do smell exactly as if you crushed some fig stems and smeared the sap on your arm. Like most Diptyques I've tried, it's only aiming to be one thing (nothing wrong with that) and as a result it's a fairly one-dimensional fragrance that doesn't change much as you wear it, though it does become a creamier, sweeter and less sharp-green fig in the drydown.

If you like this sort of thing, then this is the sort of thing that you like.

Eau Lente by Diptyque

I'm surprised I'm the only one to mention this: If you've ever dyed your hair with henna you may recognise something that smells a great deal like henna in the topnotes of Eau Lente. In particular, it reminds me of the henna bars made by Lush. I suppose it's something in the "Indian spices".

Many henna users complain about the smell, but I love it - it's a sharp, dark green spicy-earthy-herbal scent which is off-putting at first but becomes weirdly addictive. Eau Lente is of course much more complex and wearable than the scent of pure henna would be, but I'm thrilled to find a perfume that incorporates this note.I also get a lot of cinnamon, clove, and the creaminess of opoponax, but the earthiness of the "henna" (whatever it is) keeps it from being too sweet or gourmand.

Strangely for such a dark and resinous scent, it is short-lived on my skin and the drydown is extremely faint to me. But I seem to be alone in that based on these reviews, and it's so gorgeous for the short time it lasts that I'm still glad I have a bottle. When I wear it I spray a little on clothes, where its sweet-spicy creaminess lasts much longer after the "henna" phase has burned off. Definitely a must try if you're a fan of spices and resins.
09th April, 2012

Pruning Shears by Demeter Fragrance Library

The rose is prominent and quite sweet, on a backdrop of green leafy notes. I don't get a metallic "pruning shears" note but there is a hint of dirt. Like most Demeters, it feels just a little artificial, not as much of a natural rose as something like L'ombre dans l'eau, but it's still lovely, and at the low price it's well worth trying if you're a fan of straightforward rose scents. It's short-lived, but lasts longer if sprayed on clothing.
06th April, 2012

Society by Society Parfums

This is nasty. I sprayed it on by mistake when I thought it was a tester of Just Me by Paris Hilton...and however cheap the Paris Hilton fragrance smells, this has to be much worse. It starts out with some fake, piercing fruit note which fades to a horrific bitter chemical smell...is that myrrh? Whatever it is, it's not nice. If you actually want to buy this for some reason, it's available in chemists in Australia, so I guess you could arrange a swap...
23rd February, 2007

Thunderstorm by Demeter Fragrance Library

I've never noticed whether an actual thunderstorm has its own smell, other than that of rain. But Thunderstorm by Demeter smells like nothing so much as lettuce to me - a fresh head of lettuce with dirt still attached to the roots. It's refreshing and different, not a very "perfume"-like smell. It lasts a good few hours, too.

I like it a lot right now, but I don't know whether I'll get sick of it by the time I use up my bottle.
23rd January, 2007

Brit for Men by Burberry

This would smell great on a man, but I'm a woman who likes wearing unisex fragrances and I'm going to wear this one. It's so sexy. The top notes are quite masculine, but the drydown is more unisex and is my favorite part.

I bought a big bottle, so I'm going to enjoy layering it with various things to try and make it turn more "feminine". Recommended for everyone!
23rd January, 2007

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

An artificial mango scent...the promo material says mangosteen, an exotic fruit I've never tried, but it must be similar. With Love is pleasant enough, but not something you really want to smell on yourself, unless you're a teenage girl. Doesn't last long either. Luckily, mine was a free sample.
05th November, 2006