Reviews by tnamey

tnamey's avatar
    tnamey

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Beyond trhe pale. Perhaps the finest fragrance made! Sexy. Not at all, animalist, but sexy. The odor does smell like sex: not naughty, but divinely erotic. Longevity is not great, but adequate when you know intimate moments are not far off!

02 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2014)

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I like it. Very much. If you readers (colleagues) have read my notes on other fragrances, I can literally dissect a fragrane or build it up. I'm retiring for evening, and am to tired to write a substantial note, But this is one classy fargrance. Good night!c

02 May, 2012

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

I agree with the last two reviews, especially by Vibert. Clearly better than the original-smoother and more refined. Singular in scent, strong projection, and a classic.

20th September, 2009

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Marvelous scent. you must know how to use it. I find it best applied in two applications, one hour apart. Strong indeed, but evocatively masculine, and constantly gets positive remarks from the opposite sex. I think certain scents need match the wearer. This is one! Thums up!

Himalaya by Creed

Simply wonderful and sophisticated. Best Creed, with the exception of Bois d' Portugal. An all year frag, whose only major weakness is longevity, in terms of projection. But is remains close to skin for 7-8 hours.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

I was once enamored with scent, but it rapidly has lost it's punch.... Why? Complex, but the tobacco and vetiver do not quite match. I wear it. By the day's end, I'm tired of it. This was not my original take. Perhaps all reviewers need to have a frag in their wardrobe for at least six months, or an acquaintance with the scent for this period of time. A good scent, but not great! Especially for the price.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Unisex to extreme. Wonderfully light, but too light. Very expensive for such a fleeting scent. Not bad, but not great!

Herbissimo Mejorana by Dana

A lovely and under appreciated fragrance. A walk in a fragrant forest! Inexpensive to boot. Not sensual, but good for office wear. Would not offend anyone, except those with multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome! As a physician, the last diagnosis is bogus! Two thumbs!

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

The Cool Water thing has been over done! This is a wonderfully versatile fragrance which can be used year round. Clearly similar to CW, but on a much higher plain. The only criticism is the price. Nonetheless, I give it two thumbs!

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Never to be outdated. When one looks at these reviews, you see consistancy in this opinion. Classics are classics. This is one of the greats and when cost is considered, clearly one of the best! Always garners compliments. What else can I say! Three thumbs up!

19 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2009)

1776 Russian Leather by Elsha

Bright and right leather lovers' frag. Not as teutonic or sophisticated as Knize, nor as heavy as Royal English Leather, and available in terms of money (REL), or in the US (Knize) - lacking a current distributor. But this a great leather fragrance, and barring the other two, my "third" leather scent, but clearly a distinct leather unto it's own. Great fragrance done right!

20th June, 2009

Tricorn by Caswell-Massey

A delightful spicy sandalwood creation, with an initial "hit" of simplicity, but winding down to a more elegant "take" with class, and yes, a "tailored" image hinted at by previous comments. Very nicely done..a perfect day time frag for office and general daily wear.

20th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 July, 2009)

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Just purchased my first after sampling the scent in a local boutique. I have a habit of one quick smell, after which I pocket the scent an hour, both on paper and myself. This is a "grande" frag, quite imperial unto itself. A very unusual "woodsy scent" that turns on itself with rose, orange, and criander, the latter of which adds edge. Women love this classic. This will be a timeless fragrance!

20th June, 2009

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

My significant other's perfume when she and I feel erotic. The "fig" must bring out the animal in me. I consider this a remarkably inventive creation and one the three best scents for a female. Not in wide use, exclusive, and unique, with staying power. Bravo Bulgari. Clearly a scent for not everyone, but for a women who wants to project a most feminine singularity, this is it! I love this frag!!!!!!!!

01st March, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2009)

Bois du Portugal by Creed

This ultimate Creed is perhaps the finest male fragrance made. When I say "not for little boys," I am not referring to chronological age but psychological age. This frag is the "power frag" for men, refined, aristocratic, sensual...but also simply joyful. It has good, close to the skin staying power, and does not project an aura so broad, that everyone you pass in a room will know you are wearing it. It does have a come hither quality with individuals in a two foot radius...after immediate application. I love this Creed. So much so, that I do wear it for special occasions...or I would run through it like Gatorade!! Bravo Creed.

01st February, 2009 (Last Edited: 25 August, 2012)

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

Fresh, delightful, and sensual. I find this the most subtle but alluring frag and consider this not unisex, but clearly a female fragrance. The white tea and white pepper settle down with the light musk to create a great scent for women. This is quite intimate and one I love. Again, hats off to Bulgari.

01st February, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2009)

Omnia by Bulgari

An unusual combiniation of bright, light, but alluring and sensuous. I usually go on and on about basenotes, drydown, etc. Let's say that this is one of finest sexually come-hither scent for females. I'm glad that most women have missed this one. I might be in trouble. Clearly one of Bulgari's best scents for females, including the' Blance, the' Rouge, Blu Notte, and the most mysterious, Black! All hands up for the house of Bulgari!

16 January, 2009

Blu Notte by Bulgari

This is one sensual fragrance. I find it irrestible. The iris top note is bold but fades, still there but not overwhelming. The chocolate is there, but I also smell musk and vodka. I would rate this one of my top five female fragrances, three of which are in the Bulgari line. Also unique, but more mainsream than B. Black. Women, this is a seductive fragrance. I'm glad it commonly out there, for my safety!

10th January, 2009

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

This is one heck of a brew! Bulgari, as usual, has designed a unique frag, really unlike anything else. I cannot fathom comments that include burnt rubber, tar, etc. in this frragrance, which will be sexier than hell on the woman who CAN wear it. It is bold, starts out with a creamy vanilla top note, soon revealing black, tea musk and leathery basenotes. his fragrance lasts, and like most Bulgari scents, becomes closer to the skin. The term androgeny is also inappropriate for the frag, since it implies "unisex." I can see this on myself, and have used it occasionaly, feeling quite well with the scent, opening and dry-down. The strident uniqueness of this cologne may be one issue that some have. For my part is is truly unusual, but distinct and beautiful.

10th January, 2009

Royal English Leather by Creed

Creed REL is the "cream" of leather scents. While I prefer Knize Ten, the differences between the two is substantial and each has its specific fine qualities. Knize, a prior review says "is raw teutonic" leather. REL by creed is clearly sumptuous and opens with mandarin, powder and floral scents. For the first few minutes it is two sweet for me. Afterwards, the sweetness dissipates, and a drier, mandarin powder leather scent emerges, as if Knize had mixed in. I consider this an evening scent, very long-lasting, and a little more sensual (no-a lot more) than it's Knize brother. I agree that is is clearly one of finest scents ever made. It has clearly withstood father time. In this sense it is ageless. I give this fragrance two arms up. One comment I have, not previously made. I can see some androgeny is this frag, and the right woman can pull this off!

07 January, 2009

Aramis by Aramis

I bought Aramis when I was in medical school. Women loved it. I liked the scent so much, I would frequently put a drop on a hot lamp bulb to "fragrance" my musty apartment, particularly when I was not wearing the scent.

I wore it quite frequently through the years, recycling it every 6-9 months after a hiatus. I have always loved this sophisticated frag, which remains a classic, and will always be in my "wardrobe! Two thumbs up! A gentlemans cologne!

29 October, 2008

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quite a classic, which truly may remain timeless. Not a complicated fragrance, but a perfect blend highlighting citrus at it's finest. My initial impression was that it could last longer, but it does, in a subtle drydown lasting for ten to twelve hours on my skin. Bravo.

14 September, 2008 (Last Edited: 23 September, 2008)

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

One favorite of mine-classy, subtle but bold, sensuous, and tied together with the citrus, peper, tea, musk harmonies developed by Bulgari. although the opening is bold, the dry-down is far more complex and sumptuous. The scent has longevity, but closer to the skin than any cologne or fragrance I regularly wear. While tea and pepper holds most fragrances from Bulgari, it's base is quite manly versus androgeny. The scent verges on genius. I have garnered as many compliments on this frag as any other. Two hands up. In regular rotation with Dolce Gabanna, Eau Savage, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, and Terre de Hermes. A classic.

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 October, 2008)

Envy for Men by Gucci

I find this a paradox: fine after drydown....which is quite long in coming, but too "sweet" before so. I find "sweet" oriental frags too "Jade East" like, although this scent i quite different, apart from the too sweet, oriental quality. This negates the masculine qualities of this scent. I am quite ambivilant about this frgrance, despite the plaudits of many Basenotes colleagues. I cannot wear this scent comfortably.

30th August, 2008

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Over rated!!!! This cologne is like a cake with icing to be plastered on your body! Clearly too sweet. Clearly too simple. Get the taste of sweet desserts, mix generously, and you have this. Totally without sophistication. Sorry. any frangrance with only a two to one postive to negative ratio is dangerous. This fragrance is a waste of money and time. That is, unless you are starting Kindergarten......you will be quite popular ith both girls and boys!!!!

30th August, 2008

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

This enigmatic fragrance is, as other reviewers have expressed, not concentrated BPH. While similar, it is very different as well. The opening is grapefruit, tea and pepper. It is quite an opening, but the initial pungency is lost quickly, and for the next few hours is quite an aroma, which starts to move closer to the skin, becoming an "inimate" fragrance. I like it very much, and rotate this regularly. It is both suitable for evening, as well as office.

18 August, 2008

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Simply a classic and truly not "like" any other common fragrance. Purchased long ago, and I keep buying it. It is long lasting, quite sensuous. Do go lightly though!

Halston Z-14 by Halston

No, this cologne is not "nostalgia" personified, as suggested by many reviews. I cannot distinguish why fragrances, good or bad, morph with time. They are either good, bad, or in-between, depending on preference. I like Z-14, always have. Granted, a fragrance falls out of favor when worn by everyone, but this no longer applies to Z-14. I love it. Because I have used it frequently over years, it is not the regular in rotation that it was, but when worn, it still brings admiring nods. It has tremendous staying power.

English Leather by Dana

The first cologne I ever purchased. I must have a leather fetish and consider this a more basic scent than the sophisticated Knize Ten, the "sumptuous" Creed. It remains a standout, by any measure. Who cares if it is inexpensive and a drug store purchase. I agree it a casual, all around scent that almost everyone likes.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This fragrance has two directions: The initial "hit" which is overbearing, earthy, mineral, and harsh orange. This melds into wonderful drydown smelling of rich earth (humous), leather, and tangerine. The fragrance lasts forever in it's transition to drydown.. Very sophistacted, as noted by others, and quite sensual...almost too sensual for office wear. (I still use it there!) I think this is a unique fragrance which still is not in wide-spread use, except by afficianodos. A very fine scent. I like this one.

08 August, 2008