Reviews by linnea

linnea's avatar
    linnea

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

I personally found this perfume horrifying...however, fragrance is an intensely personal thing and I hope that others find it pleasant, avant-garde, and compelling. The otherwise light and generic floral-chypre is undercut by a seriously dirty girl-musk note. To add insult to injury, the floral isn't even that good. This perfume reminds me of my first (and only) summer in a hot, muggy, un-air-conditioned dormitory in Colorado with a girly-girl roommate who didn't shower as much as she should and who had a huge array of scented sprays and cheap perfumes that she used in lieu. I would wither up and die with a 1-litre size of this perfume.

23 May, 2007

Songes by Annick Goutal

This is an amazing fragrance. I adore it. It is gorgeous, voluptuously rich, and very feminine.

The limited Baccarat edition is a revival of a 1920's art deco bottle that originally inspired the creation of Annick Goutal's Songes moon bottle.

• Top notes: Frangipani flowers combined with tiare and jasmine.
    • Heart notes: Incense, vanilla, copahu balm, pepper, and ylang-ylang absolute.
    • Base notes: Vetiver, sandalwood, amber, and styrax.

26 March, 2007

Intense Tiare by Montale

This fragrance is amazing. It makes me feel like I'm lying in a languid rich bath of coconut milk and gardenia (tiare) flowers. It is utterly sensual and gorgeous. I tried a sample from dear Vijay and immediately knew it was bottle-worthy. The gardenia is light and intoxicating, and its gently supported by gentle waves of coconut milk, jasmin, ylang-ylang and a tiny hint of vanilla. It smells very fresh and almost green when you first put it on, and then it just gets richer and more nuanced as it warms on your skin. Excellent longevity.

08 March, 2007

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This fragrance was quite an experience. When I put it on, it smelled like Dr. Pepper and Root Beer soda! Very sweet and very surprising! As it dried down a thick, heavy earth accord was very noticeable. Like damp, wet earth. I did not detect any of the other notes that some Basenoters have been describing. On my skin, the sweet floral was interwoven with the dark earthiness. It's an interesting fragrance, but not for me.

19 February, 2007

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

On my skin, the clove and anise/licorice is overwhelming. I am a huge fan of Lutens, but I just can't wear this one.

03 February, 2007

Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Smelling the fragrance out of the bottle is lovely. Unfortunately my skin chemistry doesn't work with it. On the right person, it would get a thumbs-up. On me, it's terrible, so I'm giving it a neutral thumb rating.

When I put this fragrance on, I thought I had smothered myself in curry. There was a very strong scent of tumeric, fenugreek, cumin, and camphor, along with a faint woody accord that must be the sandalwood.I had just gotten back from a night out that included prime rib, but nothing involving tumeric or cumin.

30 minutes later: The fragrance is changing slightly and it seems to be drying down. There is a definite floral note that I'm getting now. However, it's still dominated by the tumeric and fenugreek. There is also a strong camphor-like presence that I find off-putting.

I really want to like this fragrance because I'm a huge fan of Lutens, but I just cannot get into it.

10th December, 2006

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I love this fragrance. It is so gorgeous and intriguing. The notes of honey and solar musk are to die for.

03 December, 2006

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I LOVE THIS SCENT! This is one of my favorite scents. My twin sister introduced me to it, and I love it because it reminds me of her. It's so rich, complex, and intriguing. I always keep at least two bottles because I never want to run out.

03 December, 2006

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Muscs Koublaï Khän is my new favorite scent. I opened my decant and was initially shocked at how soft and sweet-smelling it seemed. I put it on and at first it was very light and unassuming, and then once it warmed on my skin, a humongous cumin note exploded. When the fragrance started opening up I thought, "Oh God...I can never wear this to work!" I smelled the cumin and was afraid that I would get a ton of funky cumin-type odor.

However, the scent has changed a lot on my skin after 20 minutes. Since then it's gotten richer and richer. There's a definite incense note on my skin, and the scent is just fabulous. It's not funky or musty at all, just sexy, spicy, and very exotic.

Someone here on basenotes posted something about, "Men smell like this all the time, but I think a woman might be embarrassed to smell like this." On me, it smells very nice. I am very pleased because I've got an entire bell jar of this stuff coming in the post, so I'm thrilled that it seems to work with my skin chemistry!

The drydown on MKK is really spectacular. It's almost caramelly-sweet musk that makes me feel like the most desirable woman on the planet! The fragrance just keeps blossoming and getting better and better on my skin. I feel VERY sorry for the folks whose skin chemistry made it smell like a urinal. On me, this fragrance is delightful and I wear Muscs Koublaï Khän every day.

02 December, 2006

Marc Jacobs Essence by Marc Jacobs

I found this fragrance to be a gorgeous, lush bouquet of gardenia. It is so well done and just lovely. Unfortunately, it does not work well with my skin chemistry. I wish I could wear it.

02 December, 2006