Reviews by zephyr16

zephyr16's avatar
    zephyr16

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Its quite an unusual one....looking at the confusing olfactory pyramid...one tends to think that its got a confusing personality....the opening of the scent will remind you of a sweeter cousin of NEMO...and the fade out will remind you if Givenchy's Very Irresistible..

the opening notes hits you with woods citrus, mint and nutmeg . The citrus quickly fades off and woods peek but with a strong presence of that nutmeg note however. What the other reviewers said about its characters morphing into : Dark & Sweet...well thats kind of true.

The overall impression is a soft and uplifting fragrance with right hints of spicy, woody and floral notes. Great in fall perhaps.

a 7/ 10 in my opinion...not a must buy though...

23 March, 2009

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Over ripe oranges, vetiver and pepper being crushed into dry dirt.This was the most unique release of the year 2006.

The first time I smelled it- it took me back into history and reminded me of my trip to ladakh. Summer mornings in ladakh smell like this....
    An original composition like this deserves a thumbs up ...What does one need more from a scent? a unique fragrance which evokes a feeling of nostalgia, with superb longevity.

22 March, 2009

Encre Noire by Lalique

Imagine a log of wood- aged and dirty with green moss over it. Its summer now and the moss has parched up against the log.Empty a bottle of ink on this log and let it age in the harsh sun. A drop of water now falls onto this log- releasing the aroma of dirt, wood and ink. That begins to cover the idea of what EN feels like.

My nose detects this dirt note somewhere in the pyramid- reveals itself once in a while when I move around. Otherwise- its a pure zen of fragrance. Potent stuff too... a single spray lasts me a whole day.

Cold wet hazy mornings in portland OR - Casual dress and a spray of ER and am all set for the day.

Thank you lalique.

19 March, 2009

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Sampled this one recently and in my opinion its a Fall / winter cologne with sweet peppery Oriental finish.

Pepper , wine , and wood are the prominent notes that I could point out. The overall pyramid reminded me of Claiborne "SPARK"

Longevity on my skin is good- but projection and sillage aren't great..Stays close to the skin- Subtle and warm would be the words that aptly describe the sillage.

A good evening Fragrance - but not worth a bottle in my opinion.

09 March, 2009

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

I tried this today and am sorry to say Mr Tauer...this does not do it for me.. Its not what I expected...the pyramid is too confusing for my nose...the opening appears as a note to note replica of Azzaro Vetiver.. vetiver, pepper and grapefruit...the only thing saving this concoction is the drydown of cedar wood and rose...which lingers close to the skin...sillage and projection are far from the legendary LDD marocain...

No sir...I cant see my self spending $ 100 for a juice I can get for $ 15 at the nearest Marshalls...

09 November, 2008

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

I nearly shrieked in repulse to this ...this is probably the most repulsive composition from the Mr Tauer...

take a peice of steak and nail it to your car tyre and do some donuts on a tarmac road...till smoke comes out from the wheels...get out of the car and smell the tarmac...probably you would smell remains of charred meat and burnt rubber...thats what Lonestar memories smells like...

the worse part is the longevity...freaking thing lasts till the cows come home...and sillage is freaking impressive though...i was asked if I had been to a nascar rally...

09 November, 2008

Open by Roger & Gallet

ever bathed with the DIAL GOLD - well it smells exactly like that- albiet much stronger though with a refined presence....awesome staying power and man...talk about presence...it hangs around you - like the halo around Jesus ...

10th September, 2008

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

green - dirty- damp leaves and a hint of wet soil comes to mind when I try to describe this scent....imagine pressing your nose in leaves decomposing in wet soil...it smells aweful in hot weathers...but on cold crisp mornings...there is a certain calm around me when I don this ...the nose gets used to this quickly- so one keeps to be moving around to understand its beauty....i cant see my self reaching for this often- but visiting this perfume once in a while is like visiting the ruins of a gothic cathedral ...its dark- its damp around - but there is an eerie beauty about the place which soothes the tired soul

09 September, 2008

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Everything written about it is true...Dry- evocative - Sensual. I got this one recently and still am learning the subtle nuances of the composition...but if you ask me to summarize it I'd say its top notes have a faint resemblance to Boucheron's Jaipur pour homme with Amber Vetiver and faint hint of Incense in base notes...The dry down is too complex to put in words...subtle smooth presence ...its a must sample and then a must buy

another one that is a must buy from Tauer is Incense Extreme

01st May, 2008

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This cologne oozes sophistication. Crisp white shirt, blue jeans ,brown shoes and a hint of Rive gauche and I'm all set.

I get the distinct Rosemary in the first minutes...followed by lavander and cloves. and the final trace of vetiver creates a truly unique cologne which has the rare distinction (after M7 though) of vulnerable yet uber masculine.

double thumbs up for this one

22 May, 2007 (Last Edited: 15 May, 2008)

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

I got this as a bling buy.. because of all the thumbs up reveiws here ..and I am not disappointed...it really is suitable for humid and hot climates. The initial blast is the bitter Lemon Peel, and a hint of Grapefruit I do not get the mint. After an hour or so...I get the faint coriander and a hint of vanilla and cedarwood.

My favourite part is the time when I take an evening bath- the hot water seems to bring out the bitter lemon and ambergris.

A must have in the collection cologne esp if you are in the hot /humid climate regions

22 May, 2007

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

A dark fragrance that is saturated with Oud/Agarwood. Reminds me of the incense burning in orthodox hindu temples in South India.

This is one fragrance I'll take it to my grave

21st April, 2007 (Last Edited: 15 May, 2008)