Reviews by different-scents

different-scents's avatar
    different-scents

Bulgari Man Extreme by Bulgari

When I spray this on my skin all I want to do is smell myself.

Then 15 minutes pass and it turns into ... Nothing.

I love the initial blast, but the dry down leaves much to be desired.

Yes, Terre d'Hermes comes to mind on the dry down but I can't stand d'Hermes. It is quite a conundrum that I absolutely love the top notes and am so/so on the dry down.

Decent overall scent. The top notes and base notes really don't mesh with me.

19 February, 2014

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I am thankful that I took some time to review this.

I received a 9ml decant of this a while back, and first smelled it immediately upon waking up. It shocked me, to say the least. I knew it wasn't bad, but I couldn't tell what I was getting.

Then it sat upon my dresser, cap off, for a couple weeks. It kept getting my attention.

Finally I've worn a couple times--at night, in a cool temperature--and WOW!

With my skin, this stuff smells amazing. I now know what it feels like to smell like candy because this smells delicious. It has this strong, generous, luxurious scent that I find breathtaking.

I don't know what happened between the first scent and the last, but I haven't been able to get enough of this. I think you just have to evolve into BdP.

The top notes don't last more than 15-20 minutes, which is too bad, but the mid notes and base notes are still fantastic. I understand this differs from person to person. But my first try I really didn't think it'd work, but now I love it.

I say give it a try, but start with a decant. And only if you like strong scents with sweet and flowery drydowns, as what I get from BdP. It smells so sweet/musky/flowery on my skin, to die for. I feel so silly writing this review, but I completely understand this scent from Creed. It works perfectly on my skin.

**the best part of this scent barely lasts 30 minutes, but the drydown is still nice. I feel you could probably layer something like Erolfa on top of this once it drys down. I know this would be a lot of effort, but if you love your Creed scents like I do** Someone else said this is an "experience" which is the truth. Other scents will last all day. This one will last an hour or two and leave twice the impression.

12 March, 2012

Michael Jordan by Michael Jordan

This is the most random review I've ever given.

The reason I'm giving this a thumbs up is because I first bought this stuff when I was about 16 at a shoe store. It just seemed cool at the time. I used the entire bottle (of course).

It's very generic, sporty, everyday smell good scent.

The reason I give thumbs up is because I saved my empty bottle like it was a Michael Jordan rookie card. Those basenotes are some of my favorites, no matter how basic they are--they just smell good.

I bet this stuff smells better than the bottle of Claiborne Sport I picked up a few weeks ago. I haven't worn this cologne for like 16 years and am surprised it's still in production.

20th February, 2012

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

idk

I will give this a thumbs up even though it's an awkward thumbs up.

I first found this scent a couple years ago when I smelled my 78 year old grandpa wearing it. Then I read a lot of people on here posting that it was a frat boy cologne, which is ironic. It smells amazing when he wears it, which makes it really random. When I spray it on myself it just STICKS to me--like, it won't go away.

When I was taking some college classes, I wore this to a 9 a.m. class and I felt like I overwhelmed everyone around me. I was actually embarrassed because it was simply too strong. And I only sprayed 2 or 3 times.

The first half hour are very unenjoyable (to me). The drydown, however, is absolutely luxurious. If I could skip the top notes and rush to the drydown, I would be in heaven.

Platinum just feels like it becomes cloying and synthetic, which is not what I'd expect from a Chanel scent. You do get that amazing Chanel drydown, which can't be beat.

20th February, 2012

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I got my 4ml sample of Tobacco Vanille today, and out of the bottle I did not think I would like it AT ALL. Smells like the sweetest sweet imaginable, and I'm not a fan of sweet scents. I always prefer dark, woody, musky scents, which is also why I wanted to try this one so badly as a change of pace. And change of pace it is!

I actually enjoy it. I can't quite put my finger on what I enjoy about it.

Very spicy sweet like a pumpkin pie with too much nutmeg. I get almost no tobacco in here, which is somewhat unfortunate because I was hoping for more tobacco.

I'm unsure when I can wear this, but I'm sure I'll find a good time to try it out. I don't work in an office, but I could see it working well in that situation if you're an established employee. Definitely not for newbies.

There's been talk of layering TF scents, which I think this could work well as. Not sure what I will try layering it with, but I may report back here with an update in the future if I find something that works well for me.

I seriously just get vanilla and nutmeg. Perhaps what I'm picking up as nutmeg is actually amber, but it just reminds me too much of pumpkin pie with too much vanilla and too many spices. This could work around holidays or a nighttime date in cool weather. I am pretty sure if you wear this midday on a hot afternoon you will destroy the sniffers of everyone around you.

All I did was dab one tiny drop onto my fingtertip and rub it onto my wrist and it was MORE than enough.

I admittedly have just started trying niche products, but I find this very unique and unlike anything I have ever worn.

Do not blind buy! Get a quality sample like I did and then make up your mind. I actually got 2 x 4ml samples, and will likely resell one of the bottles. Even a small amount like 4 ml will last me a long time, especially since I plan to continue testing more and more scents over the coming months.

edit**update**: I repeat-- I cannot believe I love this stuff. I have always hated vanilla perfumes on women, yet here I am loving a vanilla based scent on myself. When I wear this scent it makes me happy, hungry, excited. I swear that I believe Tom Ford got lucky on this juice. I will happily enjoy my 8 ml, which should last me easily 2 years. I mentioned above that I think it is good for layering. I haven't actually layered it, but I wore it with both Burberry original and also Creed Erolfa-- both worked with VERY different scents.

I hate posting longggg diatribes in my reviews but allow me to explain. When I wore this with Burberry, I dabbed it on my wrists, the inside of my elbow, and bottom of my neck, then spritzed a couple sprays of Burberry around my chest and shoulders. Burbery, if you know, is spicy sweet, but woody, very different from Tobacco Vanille, yet they work together. I loved this combo.

Next day I dabbed Creed Erolfa in front and behind both ears, along my neckline, and then dabbed Tobacco Vanille on my wrists and inner elbow.

If you own these scents, I'd love to hear some feedback on the way I wore these scents. I could probably pull off Tobacco Vanille on its own, but I just feel it works better in combination with something else.

Thanks for reading.

18 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2012)

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Blind bought a 1 oz bottle (in plastic?). Don't like it. Very boring. Drydown was boring soap scent.

Was pretty cheap, but I'll never wear this stuff. Ever. Should have just bought a few samples.

18 February, 2012

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

Without overdoing my review with lengthy adjectives, I just want to say that I like this scent.

A lot of people are in love with the opening--which I didn't really care for as much as the heart and the base. I three samples of this today and quickly spritzed one spray of Voyage onto my right wrist. The first 15 minutes I really wasn't sure if I liked it, but as it mellowed out I really found it to be unique, yet simple and understated.

I've been looking for daily wearable non-mainstream scents, and I think this one will work for me. I was wearing a sweater when I originally sprayed my wrist, but took the sweater off for several hours, before putting back on in the evening. I had mostly forgotten about spraying Voyage (because I washed it off my wrist before going to the gym) but my sweater still had that nice scent and I continue getting a whiff of it every few moments.

I have a hard time adding a whole lot to this review other than Voyage is a neat and simplistic scent that will leave you smelling good without making a grand statement. And sometimes that is all I am looking for.

17 February, 2012

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

After all the glowing reviews, I finally got my hands on a sample of Green Irish Tweed. And my initial impression is that I absolutely love it. The downfall is that it slowly dithers down over the course of less than an hour. It's still there, but the fresh blast of beautiful harmony kinda disappears. After 2-3 hours, I feel it needs a refresher just to keep that wonderful scent going. It has staying power, but it's very, very subtle compared to what you get during that first 45 minutes. The cost of a bottle is too much. But, it does smell great.

21st September, 2010

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

The bottle is pretty cool. And that's where my positive reviews end.

I got this stuff as a gift, and I honestly don't know what happened to my bottle. I think I may have sold it off on eBay... but I don't remember. It smells like a nice scent when it's in the bottle, but it smells terrible when I spray it on my skin. I used to use this stuff as air freshner for my bedroom.

I tried very hard to like this scent. I really did. But in the end I just can't stand it. Best way to describe the scent would be juvenile. There some nice notes in the pyramid, but it does absolutely nothing for me. Very forgettable scent, and I'm somewhat surprised it's still in production (must be that cool green bottle!).

19 September, 2010

Antaeus by Chanel

What a wild adventure Antaeus provides!

I have been trying to reach back into the classics and find some niche fragrances that suit my style, and I think Antaeus pour Homme is going to be a nice addition.

The notes are so separate, yet so blended, there's something much different about this scent -- no matter if it smells like anything else, or not. The opening is a bit pungent for me, yet still a nice scent. I have a sample (of what seems to be classic Antaeus, the packaging could be 20 yrs old) and it only took 2-3 small dabs. I could see how 2-3 sprays from a bottle may very well be too much!

My favorite part of this exquisite fairytale is when the sandalwood sneaks up behind the patchouli. And as the patchouli fades, the sandalwood takes over for a brief spell before leading you into the soft, powdery, drydown.

Someone said to wear this with a black suit, and I can see this as a perfect match. This is not a scent for the faint of heart, and you better be able to project yourself in a charismatic manner if you expect to get away with Antaeus pour Homme. If you do this right, the ladies will love it against your skin. If you do this poorly, nobody will want to be near you.

18 September, 2010

Claiborne Sport by Liz Claiborne

I'm deleting my old review completing and starting over.

I blind bought a 100ml bottle for around $20 and--yeah-- it's a nice scent. But it's incredibly synthetic and overtly cloying.

I sprayed 2 sprays on my shirt before work. It started nice. Then it stuck my skin. All day and all night.

After a shower? It was still there. I washed my clothes...it was still on my clothes AFTER being washed and dried. I can't believe how this stuff just doesn't go away.

Creed scents are amazing, but imagine if they had this type of longevity lol.

I feel forced to give thumbs up since the scent is a "good" smell. But, c'mon. You can do so much better than this. When I bought the bottle, I was relying on 10 year old memories. I just wanted a cheap simple scent to spray on myself when it didn't really matter.

The thing I learned after this purchase was that I'd rather buy niche sample vials than full bottles of cheap synthetics.

16 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2012)

Alter Ego by Stone Research Labs

I really love this stuff, but you must be very, very careful!! It is *EXTREMELY* potent!

Very strong musky scent that boasts to contain 3 pheromones. I'll use this and rub one tiny drop being my ears. Then cover it with a good cologne that already has some woodsy/musky mid-base notes.

The scent will last a very long time, and honestly it is probably an acquired taste. Definitely in the love/hate department. When it dries down, it just leaves a strong, happy scent. That's the best I can describe it, there's nothing else quite like this.

I wish I wasn't the only one reviewing this! It's a quality scent and works well when layered with other scents. Please guys trust me and no I don't make anything off sales of Alter Ego. I know the name is lame, but it's a beautiful musky scent if you give it a chance.

16 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2012)

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

I bought this one right when it hit the shelves in 1997. I don't know how it happened, but I think the clerk just suggested it to me because it was new, and my sister's girlfriends liked it....so I figured I better buy it.

I only wore it for a couple years, but I definitely went through several bottles.

I've met countless females who simply LOVE this stuff. I tried to relive the experience and picked up a bottle off eBay for a good price. Pleasures seems to be one of the few scents that smells best in the bottle, or right after you spray it on.

I rarely enjoy the top notes, but I still do like this one. The thing is, I found out that I cannot last long wearing this stuff. It simply overwhelms me after a while. I guess it all just molds into this soft little scent that makes me want to run.

In the end, I sold that bottle, and will never bother to use Pleasures again. Funny thing is I have a friend who has a bottle of this stuff on his bathroom counter and it is his only cologne. I pity him!

Pi by Givenchy

Ugh. I can't figure out. I'll never figure it out.

Pi by Givenchy just doesn't work for me. I know there is something to it. It has a softness that makes a woman feel comfortable, yet something hiding subtly under the surface that keeps this scent masculine enough for men to wear.

Just smells like vanilla baby powder to me, but I at least understand why people may like it.

I'd be tempted to give it another shot. It's been a few years since I last tried it.

Anyways, if you like it, good for you, if you hate it, I understand!

Hugo by Hugo Boss

This stuff never suited well on my skin, yet seems to smell OK on other people.

It definitely reminds me of the 90's, and it kinda screams out, "I'm looking for chicks!" This is the scent you're going to find around high school halls and dance clubs alike.

I can't stand the top notes, but it starts to smell pretty good after it dries down. But most of these mid-late 90's mass-market scents tended to use sandalwood as a base, and I just love sandalwood, so it's easy for me to say they smell good.

Despite smelling pretty good once you get past those noisy top notes, I can't see myself ever wearing Hugo again.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I don't know what to say about Eternity for Men.

This was one of my first scents. I believe it was actually the first "real" cologne I ever owned as a teenager. I absolutely adored the scent at the time, but it was (is?) so common, that I outgrew it.

You KNOW when someone is wearing Eternity, that's for certain. Just something about it. This stuff really screams out for attention if you're not careful in your application, and it's not good attention when it gets that heavy.

I doubt I could get away with wearing this these days. Perhaps I'll get a tester just for fun and see if it brings me back to high school (as I'm sure it would). It's just a boring, bland scent that seems to be reserved for teenagers.

Oddly enough, though, I've caught my dad with a bottle of Eternity, and he managed to get away with it. Maybe it depends on the person. I'll pass.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

You know what? I have never actually applied this to my skin.

I remember it as a youth all the boys had a bottle of this stuff. I hated it. They'd spray it on and it just makes me think of someone who's body temperature is 110 degrees. Maybe that's what others like about it? Quite possibly. I know this type of scent is for a certain type of man and that it attracts a certain type of female.

I don't think I'm that man, and I'm not too sure if I'm interested in those type of females.

Drakkar Noir, the mystical scent that I've always loathed. Perhaps one day I'll spray it on myself just for fun. I know I'll hate it. There's no point.

I'm giving a thumbs down simply because I have such horrid memories of its scent.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

I'm just going to give this a neutral rating, and move on.

This was one of my 'vintage' scents from the late 90's, early 00's, and dated a girl who adored smelling it sprayed around my neck. But, alas, I outgrew it, and will never be going back.

I can pick up a bottle, and recognize it smells nice enough, but it's made for everyone to think it smells "nice." It's like all those pop songs on the radio that are meant to sound "nice" to a majority of ears listening, and this scent is a pop song stirred up into a bottle.

Its best qualities are found in the mid-notes, and what is actually a great dry down (at least on my skin it sure is). But it's cheap, common, and kind of childish.

One of the scents you like, get bored of, and move on.

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

I first owned a mini of this years ago, and I would wear it on random occasions when I wanted to smell fresh without attracting much attention. Even one day when I worked for a perfume distributor, one of the workers commented on the scent one day because she knew it wasn't one of the bottles we carried.

When I smell this in the bottle, it smells very citrus. I get a strong lemon scent. It's a nice scent. There's some type of mossy background behind it. It's real light, and mostly unrecognizable. When I spray it on, the initial blast is pure alcohol scent. It dries down and for a short time the top notes really smell great.

Somewhere in the mid notes I feel it gets too femme for me to truly like this scent. The base almost disappears and leaves a vague trace of some scent that used to be there. In this sense, it is a good daytime work cologne. I think it's mostly for men, but certain women could easily wear this because it's definitely unisex.

I remember when I bought my mini bottle it was in the men's section of Banana Republic, so I really am unsure how it is marketed. Something I am going to try now that I got a new 1.7 oz bottle is to try layering this with something a bit stronger and more masculine. If I find a good combo, I believe it would be a nice blend.

**I will add that I used to do this with Candies for Men, which was way too sweet on it's own, but layered with some woody masculine scents, it would work great**

16 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2010)

Cool Water by Davidoff

When I was young in the early 90's, every "cool" guy was wearing this stuff. And by "cool" guy, I mean every guy who thought he was cool. This fact made me hate it. Not only was it cheaper than most other scents, it was so very common that I hated it!!

I look at the pyramid notes and some of it looks like I'd enjoy it. I can't remember if I ever actually sprayed this on myself, but I was at the mall a few months ago and tested Cool Water on a test strip. It was just as I remembered. This scent is so vague, I'm not sure what it's trying to say.

To me, Cool Water by Davidoff is for guys who don't know how to dress themselves. This stuff is for guys who simply don't know any better. If you're over 30, don't waste your time with this stuff. It's a bit of an immature scent, that's the only way I can describe it.

I just ordered a tester of GIT, and if it smells anything like Cool Water I will be saddened!

15 September, 2010

Envy for Men by Gucci

I have tried to like this scent, but it is obviously not for me. It just overwhelms my entire sinus cavity. It's outrageous, right when I think "OK this is nice" something just shocks me. I doubt I'll ever wear this in the future. It's just way over the top for me.

16 January, 2007

Burberry for Men by Burberry

The top notes are pleasant and sweet, but disappear almost immediately. You only smell the top notes when this scent is in the bottle, and for the first 60 seconds on the skin.

The mint is the first mid-note to appear, and it lingers amongst that woody, lavender, mossy paradise for quite some time. You see lime at the end of the list and think: WTF? It's there, but you have to search for it. Interesting, indeed.

Guess what? When the mid-notes wear off, it's pretty boring. At the very end of the day, or maybe the next morning, you'll smell this bland combo of basenotes. It smells perfectly good, but it becomes boring.

I enjoy the top notes, love the mid-notes, and get bored at the very end. This one is amazing around 10 AM. All the girls love smelling this one before lunch, it makes them hungry... if you know what I mean.

For me, this is perfect (so far). I use Burberry as a daily scent, although I go very, very light in warm weather. Definitely a cool weather scent, though in COLD weather, the scent gets lost, disappears.

One warning for the wearer of this scent: Anytime within the fist hour of application, you need to be careful! Do not over-apply! This stuff will be nauseating to those around you if you wear too much. I normally go with two light sprays around the neck from about 10-12 inches away.

Very body-heat responsive, so be careful after application. You really do not want to race up a flight of stairs within the first hour! No racing from the parking lot at the last minute, or else you will reach your destination and choke everybody. Burberry becomes overpowering when your body heats up.

14 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2010)

Reaction Thermal for Men by Kenneth Cole

There was a magazine sample that had the origional Reaction, plus Reaction Thermal.

At first I thought I liked the original a little better, but a short while later I realized that the original was just very bland and basically boring.

I really enjoy the scent of Reaction Thermal. The sweet musky mid notes are perfect before the mellowing woody notes come up. A bottle of this will be my next purchase.

11th December, 2006